Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan Silver

[DEMO 2 IS OUT] Everdoom Development Thread

Oh, nice, glad to see a new PSX Doom inspired mappack!

Kinda offtopic, but my friend will release his own PSX Doom project soon too. So I think, it's a huge gift for PSX Doom fans.

1 hour ago, Dexiaz said:

Oh, nice, glad to see a new PSX Doom inspired mappack!

Kinda offtopic, but my friend will release his own PSX Doom project soon too. So I think, it's a huge gift for PSX Doom fans.

Yeah I saw a few hours ago. It does look great, I say! And I am glad you liked mine too!

1 hour ago, Nathan Silver said:

Yeah I saw a few hours ago. It does look great, I say!

Hmmmm??? We didn't post it yet...What project did you saw, actually? X)

2 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

Hmmmm??? We didn't post it yet...What project did you saw, actually? X)

Oh uh, I saw the title "Cries Of Doom" and used the GEC Master Edition port. My mistake if I didn't know about your friend's project lol

I can't tell if it is meant to end on level 2 and go to the guntlet or not, but whichever it is, its a good mod... and good even in normal doom 2 XD

Though at the start of level 2 there is like 1 computer, it goes into the wall, it looks a tiny bit goofy, otherwise... yea good job! its good...

-NEWSFLASH, CACODEMON!-

After a whole month of dormance, MAP03 has been finally finished! Here's some screenshots showing the structure.

Screenshot_Doom_20230130_145213.png.ee071488da5630737e5d1c1da8c94d37.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230130_145154.png.f22040d9c7c6b574ee98bf86c1822a63.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230130_145039.png.6d78afa7e9365c62f079f4fa370d7dd3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230130_145025.png.2a945009da059e3d770ea507c6314736.png

And good news, some features have been implemented into the mod!

New textures and sprites have been brought to life in Everdoom, including more textures from Ultimate Doom and community made sprites! Sprites based on the leaked Alpha build of Doom 64 has also been put into use (all made by me since no one else have done that). Map reverb is present now (using the Sound Environment thing).

Some features that weren't confirmed are actually in here too, which includes an ACS that executes the fade spawn from Doom 64 instead of the boring teleport effect from Classic Doom.

-WHAT'S ALSO GOING TO BE ADDED?-

-DEATHMATCH LEVELS (Zandronum exclusive)

-Doom 64 quirks (i.e. Pain Elemental splash damage, Hell Knight infighting with Baron)

-Camera effects

Only a few features have been planned so far, but if you want to suggest me anything, feel free!

So far, the latest version is community only so it won't be available for the public yet, so please wait and stay tuned for the next update. Peace out!

-IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!-

Everdoom is close to a Demo 2 release this month! Several changes were made into existing maps from the first public release, including textures changes, offset fixes, etc.

image.png.08a9b548597d98dbb48fc3e361475fee.png

MAP04 is almost finished, also introducing more ACS funnies, more Doom II enemies, new traps and one certain easter egg.

The titlemap has also been improvised, with the addition of a new introduction screen inspired by Doom 64's in-game intro map, just to not bore you with the fire effect. However, the fire effect and the original title screen have been remained used after the intro screen.

Two deathmatch levels were also added, but can only played on Zandronum for better multiplayer experience, although the maps can be viewed on singleplayer as a separate episode.

The omitted Nightmare! difficulty has been brought back for this year's 30th anniversary, and completely unaltered, restoring double ammo, respawning and fast monsters.

The chaingun has been slightly nerfed for two reasons:

-One is that the fire rate was high and felt overpowered comparing to other weapons;

-With the fire rate this high, it would hurt your ears too, so I had to increase 1 tic to 2 tics to make the weapon work almost like Doom 64.

Besides its fire rate change, the offsets have been implemented. Like in Doom 64, the chaingun slightly moves back and forth while shooting.

The super shotgun has also been altered, only changing its sprites from Final Doom to the SSG sprites created by Turbo.

Textures from PSX were removed and replaced with a few existing ones I had in hand, but not all of them were removed. The COMP textures from both Jaguar and PSX were removed entirely for not fitting with the game's color palette and map structure. TVSNOW still remains in-game however.

So far, these are all the changes and some additions. Stay tuned for the next release! Have a nice day!

So I had released a hotfix patch for the DEMO 2 version, which had several inconsistencies that really bothered me, and I don't want any player to witness it lol.

If you still have the first version of DEMO 2, replace that one with the patch release. Slight changes throughout the maps were made to make it look better and less cursed and buggy.

Download is in the first post.

Hey, preamble bit before I pass back any thoughts. Anxious thing here, so bear with me. While I tend to avoid the 'horror focus/themed' WADs and MODs, this one's trying pretty hard, so figured to give it a go. I'm only mentioning this, to at least provide context. Anyway, here to try and provide playtesting support, so here we go.
This is focusing on the Single Player content, I don't have a way on testing Multiplayer maps.

Played on GZDooM Version 4.8.2 & Played on the Hurt Me Plenty equivalent.

Everdoom Levels MAP01-MAP04 by @Nathan Silver

Bug: 
Identified an area in MAP04: Landing Bay;

Spoiler

It's near the Plasma Rifle secret.

If you fall into the boxes, near the COMPFYEL [Yellow Computer Tech texture] Pillar, you'll get stuck, as jumping's disabled. Try adding a "Floor_LowerToLowestFloor" linedef action on the back side of the small brown crate.

Experience Sum Up:
Appreciate that there's been effort to personalise with the inclusion of a TITLEMAP and TUTORIAL MAP00.

Most of the levels, definitely feel like the PSX DooM ones, only less small and detailed better [at least for the most part]

Some areas, due to the 'theme' and 'vibe' you're aiming for, feel barren. For example, MAP04 felt way too big, as there's quite a few sections with limited engagements.

Lighting still feels odd to me, there's some sectors here and there that don't blend in right. Also, finding some items in this WAD can be a pain to see.

Combat, at normal difficulty, feels simple. Perhaps as a general starting point for a longer planned mega wad, I can understand if it's meant to be on the easy side.

Some of the trigger traps [the ones that happen, when a key item is picked up], feel WAY too obvious.

So far, it's possible to MAX the four levels, at least on the normal difficulty setting. I haven't tested the other skill settings at this time.

Sound effects to help the tense, darker atmosphere do their job. [but if I'll allowing myself to show my subjective take here, that's where the ambience loses me]

Secret design's a bit hit or miss. Some cases the trigger for certain timed wall reveals, feels too far apart, as an example. [But, I can see you're trying as some of them were my fault, due to sound issues on my side.]

Easter Egg's a nice touch.

Improvement Suggestions:

I'll only pass on two suggestions, I hope you'll take onboard for the future levels. Your current work for the most part feels decent as is.

1) Please try to make a few short and sweet [even if you need to make them hard] levels. I don't know your planned roadmap, but having a few shorter levels would help a little with the larger sprawls.

2) If you need to keep the lighting in the levels the same, can you please consider making lighting changes or colour changes to the items [think health bottles], to help them stand out. Sometimes, I missed items, as the area they were contained in was too dark.

Rating = Play [If you're able to keep up the work, then this should be a decent play for those wanting PSX-esque DooM mapsets for the ZDooM family of ports.]
I'll keep checking in if I can to try and help out if possible. Bye for now.

Everdoom's development has been put on hold for now. Not entirely cancelled because I genuinely don't want this to happen. Just need a break from it.

Thanks for understanding.

36 minutes ago, Nathan Silver said:

Everdoom's development has been put on hold for now. Not entirely cancelled because I genuinely don't want this to happen. Just need a break from it.

Thanks for understanding.

Ya we all need breaks!

so, I streamed the demo over on my Kick channel, and my god, I WANT MORE. I liked what I played, and absolutely loved the PSX/D64 feel, mixed with that good ole classic mapping style, along with that classic monster placement we've all known and grown to love. I was able to locate and kill all monsters, and locate all secrets. The secrets were abundant for my liking (I absolutely love secret hunting), and weren't too tough to find. I even found the SNES Doom secret in map 4, which I found to be cute. Dare I say DOOMcute? Each of the maps didn't feel claustrophobic, which is a huge plus, as I was able to maneuver around easily, and traversal of each of the 4 maps in the demo went swimmingly. The progression was also fantastic. This seems to be a very promising set of maps in the future. I WANT MORE. I got through the 4 maps in about an hour or less. Also, you can put me down as a playtester. 

Cheers.

Played the demo to the end and loved it.

Nice selection of assets and great level design.

Maybe the one thing I thought is odd is how the interactable cameras didn't have a specific texture that you can identity.

But that's a minor thing.