Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBillzar820

Doom 2: Re-Imagined (WIP) *UPDATE 06/07/24

Hello, this is the first WAD I have ever attempted to upload to the public. This isn't the first WAD I've made, but rather the first official one... I guess?

Welcome to Doom 2 Re-Imagined, an attempt to completely remake all of Doom 2's maps from scratch - remade whilst retaining the original level's layout (in a strange and hell-twisted way) with a difficulty level that is similar to Final Doom rather than Doom 2, but hey - the demons are back with a bit of a vengeance so it sort of makes sense.

The WAD is not currently finished, so expect updates every now and then until this becomes a complete 32 level megawad with all the necessary additions that I want to include with it - such as custom music and lighting effects, ambient sounds and some more.

I hope you enjoy the WAD, criticism is EXTREMELY welcome. If there are quirks that don't work or the design/difficulty is far off the spectrum for you, let me know. I want to make as many people happy as possible, while still making the WAD I've always wanted to make. Thank you for reading and happy doomsday people!

Specifications:

Tested port(s):                       GZDoom versions 4.3.3 and 4.4.2

IWAD/Source port Required:   Doom 2 (Obviously) and GZDoom as a source port

MAP(s) playable:                    Currently MAP01 through to MAP11 (MAP12 and MAP13 is now in the works)

MAP format:                          GZDoom with the Universal Doom Mapping Format (UDMF)

Jumping or crouching?:          You don't have to, I will say that you can "speedrun" areas with these enabled but it's no skin off my bones

Compatibility settings?:          No, although you can mix and match if you like

Soft/Hardware rendering:       Preferably hardware, as software can give the coloured lighting some ugly results (In my opinion)

Limitations:                           None

Completion Time:                  On the default difficulty (Skill 3/Hurt me plenty) around 1 or 2 hour(s)

UPDATE (17/07/20):

Spoiler

MAP01:

- Overhaul of starting area

- Texture swap to match original map a bit better

- New additions to main TEKGREN room

- No more helpful marines at the start, you're on your own now...

MAP02:

- Added a light to the eastern side of the map (visibility)

- Got rid of unnecessary secrets

- SSG path's side room now has monsters to greet you! (Goods don't come for free y'know...)

- Roughed out the stone walls edges (UAC aren't THAT precise with digging through terrain)

- HOPEFULLY fixed a HOM effect bug

MAP03:

- Lighting fixes

- Central area pillars resized

MAP04:

- You can actually beat the level now (thanks red door for not opening before the final room (: )

- Extra fog in starting lit areas (kind of like dust particles)

MAP05:

- Final area shortened

- Some switches are easier to see

MAP06:

- Some additions and fixes to the first outdoor area

- Fixed a secret that couldn't be obtained due to a missing activation for a line

MAP07:

- Level can be beaten on difficulties lower than UV-equivalent (something about thing tags...)

- One and only secret is now always going to be obtained (not 95% of the time if you're fast enough)

- Some improvements to the starting room

MAP08:

- Extra goodies in the starting area (not much but still more)

- One optional area is now much easier (not nigh-on impossible)

- Last area is now more distinguished on the Automap

MAP09:

- Some lighting improvements

- A secret's switch has been made easier to see

- Teleporter that led to being stuck in a room has been fixed

- Secret area removed (the secret effect, not the area itself)

MAP10:

- Lighting improvements

- Fixed teleporter

- Made a particularly difficult fight slightly easier (too many monsters that made metal thuds on the ground)

- An extra area can be accessed

ALL LEVELS:

- Fake volumetric lighting on about 90% of lights

- Some light textures are now more 3D looking ingame

* Testing is being done on GZDoom 4.4.2 instead of 4.3.3

Thank you for reading and checking out this WAD! Happy DooMsday :)

UPDATE (06/07/22):

Spoiler

I am absolutely sorry for taking so long to update with so little... throughout 2020 and 2021 I finished MAP11 whilst looking for jobs during the pandemic. I have good news on that note: I DO have a job and have been working for around half a year, and it's not taking too much time off me AND it's helped me to meet so many wonderful people! As well as this, I am WAY more productive than when I was just at home all the time - so expect more frequent updates!

Another note is that I HAVE been working on the WAD but more off than on, doing little touch-ups here and there to make certain maps more high quality or make things more interesting for players to find/fight! With all this out of the way, I will (attempt) to highlight a few of the biggest changes to each level and anything that is present in all levels. Now then, onto those updates:

ALL LEVELS (Yes this is here now because it honestly makes more sense):

- NO MORE DEEP WATER! Sorry that came out wrong, here: I want this WAD to be able to be played WITHOUT jumping/crouching. I allow it, but I want everyone to     play how they want and deep water caused more issues in certain areas for jump/crouch-less gameplay

- PSX Doom/Final Doom (Maybe Doom 64?) music and sounds (just for the weapons at the minute) to give the atmosphere and feeling that YOU are the only one left

- I don't want difficulty based weapons (in some cases ammo as well). So weapon pickups should be consistent and ammo should be HIGHER on HARDER difficulties!

- Sound Environments to make areas more atmospheric, let me know how they sound and if any changes need to be made!

WAD in general:

- 2 (that's right, 2!) new Status Bars to play with - an early one (D2RISBAR) and a more recent one (D2STATUS). Feel free to try them and give feedback on what's         good and what's complete trash! :)

- More skill levels (One is designed to literally be unfair... not even remotely).

- The text screens after MAP06 and MAP11 are updated (the rest are still WIP)!

- A map screen is planned - it isn't included in the WAD but a file that lets you see it in action will be included - Feedback will be much appreciated! (D2RMGPIC)

MAP01:

- A lot of layout changes (Starting ship, outdoor cliff, indoor facility and the Tekgreen room just to name a few).

- Getting stuck in a secret will no longer get you stuck... after a bit.

- Difficulty has been tweaked slightly.

- Slightly more atmospheric (will be improved in a later update)!

MAP02

- Layout changes (AGAIN!!!) Specifically making rooms bigger and preventing an area from being skipped to, making the level more in-line with the original!

- Some texture fixes and additions to the fortress outside.

MAP03:

- Even more openings outside (yay more ways to get blasted)!

- Starting area layout tweaked (there's that word again)!

- Fixed a lighting issue on the raising platform.

MAP04:

- Nicer looking lighting

- Teleporter now places the player diagonally facing a part of the level and the path to the start, so you can get going quicker if you go to a specific one!

MAP05:

- Choosing not to press a certain switch will make the map much harder for you. So... press it, or don't. It's your choice.

- PLASMA RIFLE/GUN (just like the original)!

- Final area layout and texture changes.

MAP06:

- ENTIRE red key area has been overhauled and the stash room has been moved to this new area!

- More ways to get to certain areas in the map (multi-choice, seriously?)

- Difficulty tweaks.

MAP07:

- One level in particular where playing with no monsters enabled will open up the map for you to explore without noclip!

- The exit wall will lower entirely once all the flying tomatoes are dealt with.

MAP08:

- Some layout changes (although in my opinion it still needs serious work)!

- Picking up the red key (card) will now reactivate the room to grab the skull keys instead of walking over the line in front of it.

MAP09:

- Entirely new area (Hey, I didn't say layou- DAMN!)

- The abyss has spread it's corruption to certain areas in the level - these are INSTANT KILL, so don't touch it!

- Optional key - prepare before picking this one up!

MAP10:

- Difficulty tweaks.

- Lighting improvements in the first area.

- A window cannot be shot through... how does that even happen?

MAP11:

- Finished!

- I will expand on it further if need be!

MAP12:

- Empty! WIP! DON'T PLAY! NO! STAY BACK!

MAP13:

- I'm not even giving you much of a level here... I guess you can pretend?

UPDATE (06/07/24):

Spoiler

You seriously thought I wouldn't keep up this trend of updating the page every 2 years, huh?! Well I'm BACK! HAHAHA!

Ahem. Well! Another update! I'll keep this one super brief (in comparison to the last one) because walls of text are kinda not cool to read, at least what I've heard. Also, it's good to just lay down what's new/updated and a summary of what's to come!

Without further ado, here's the good stuff:

ALL LEVELS

- Standards are going UP! More interesting looking areas/levels - which means I'll take less time to update this WAD with some actual awesome content (more on that later)!

MAP01:

- Improved a whole ton! Play it and enjoy... or don't - that's totally up to you!

MAP02:

- A fortress has got to be open on all sides y'know! Also, various level standard improvements.

MAP03:

- The main arena is much more difficult but fun! Let those projectiles fly, baby!

MAP04/05/06:

- Absolutely nothing changed at all... seriously, go and compare them - I doubt you'll find any differences!

MAP07:

- More interesting level in terms of how it progresses - meaning that later wave enemies are more dangerous!

MAP08:

- It's something I've looked at for a while. If I had more time, I'd get it's standards brought up considerably - expect that in the near future!

MAP09:

- I swear I did something with this level, don't quote me on that...

MAP10:

- Improvements, but I ran out of time for this update to include the rest of the areas from the original map - expect that in the near future! (x2)

MAP11:

- The inner cannon needs a bit of work (more so looking like something from the original level), and the starting area technically serves little more than an introduction area - but I'll keep the latter in, for now...

MAP12:

- Finished, but I think it's the furthest I'll stray from the original level whilst keeping some of it intact.

MAP13:

- This map is the reason I've been so long updating this WAD. Not the map itself, but it shows that I'm trying to do something that's clearly not working - being TOO original.

I promise this will be the last time I update the WAD every fort-year. My mindset when making levels is much better now! The reason I've been taking so long before is for several reasons:

- Some of the levels that are already completed just looked too outdated to me, so I spend waaay too much time updating them. That's going to stop NOW! (With the exception of MAP08).

- This is probably the biggest one: Trying to re-imagine these levels purely from memory, and not even using the originals as references or playing Doom 2 at all! Seriously, the last time I beat Doom 2 was the PSX version years ago! Now, I'm much more focused on playing the original levels and taking my time to ensure the level in this WAD still has the original feel, whilst still being a re-imagining.

To every who's still sticking with this - Thank you very much! It means the Doom World to me! I'll keep making this until it's finished, no matter how long it takes! There'll definitely be more updates to come (more frequently as well)! So stay tuned! Happy DooMsDay! :)

Screenshot_Doom_20220706_214750.png.2c5c9b9b8cbc9d9ef1fc9b675783957b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220706_214802.png.bd4f0d97a517223de1f73f09722c1562.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220706_214824.png.274e7ac83b2a38b92cfe9fcbab840ced.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220706_214846.png.98f093765543e431ca9cbcfe7b335635.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220706_214913.png.7d6c5f6af6b9ecde61ff1d01d3a2c0ba.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220706_215022.png.2334fec8cef44568170e8ba991672f94.png

NOTE: ANY BRIGHTNESS LEVELS OR LIGHTING HAVE BEEN CHANGED DUE TO ME PLAYING ON DARK LIGHTING MODE WITH BLOOM ENABLED AND HEJL DAWSON POST-PROCESSING BEING USED! I personally find it to be the best looking, but you choose what's best for YOU!

Thank you all very much for reading and checking out this WAD after all this time! It means the world to me! Happy DooMing! :)

!!!DOWNLOAD HERE!!! (Too big even for DoomWorld although I am STILL trying to get around that)!

Edited by TheBillzar820 : Update 3 - More updated than ever!

11 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Looks cool, but you should consider changing the name because it is used in a (coincidentally also) megawad from 2009.

(https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_2_Reloaded - more info)

Oh, whoops... I didn't mean any confusion

The title has been changed to something that still sounds good (somewhat).

Edited by TheBillzar820

Here's a few I can think of for alternative titles:

• Doom 2: The Revenge
  • Doom 2: Revamped
  • Doom 2: Revised
  • Doom 2: Re-imagined
  • Doom 2: Rebuilt
  • Doom 2: Alternate Edition
  • Doom 2: There and Back Again
Edited by Biodegradable

Just now, Biodegradable said:

Here's a couple I can think of for alternative titles:

• Doom 2: The Revenge
  • Doom 2: Revamped
  • Doom 2: Revised
  • Doom 2: Re-imagined
  • Doom 2: Rebuilt
  • Doom 2: Alternate Edition
  • Doom 2: There and Back Again

These are a lot better then the tac-on name I gave it after the first reply, thanks man!

After looking up the sub-names on google to see which one fits the name the most I think I'll go with Doom 2: Re-imagined (D2RIMAGN) from now on. Again, thank you man!

Realy good looking, but i can't play it on other thing beside GZDoom, is this specific to GZDoom?

What map format you use to make the maps?

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

Realy good looking, but i can't play it on other thing beside GZDoom, is this specific to GZDoom?

What map format you use to make the maps?

The maps have coloured lighting, that alone definitely makes it GZDoom (or at least ZDoom) specific.

Just now, plums said:

The maps have coloured lighting, that alone definitely makes it GZDoom (or at least ZDoom) specific.

Ah, good to know, i thought the colored lightning was something like GLDEF.

In that case, its such a shame the maps are restricted to zdoom base port :/

Those pics surely looks good.

And by the how the OP said the layout was maintanined, i thought it would be targeting something like limit removing.

Apologies for missing any necessary information, this will be included in the post.

I used GZDoom in UDMF to get coloured lighting and 3D sectors, so this is specific to GZDoom. Thank you for your feedback!

I've been playing this, some quick comments:

MAP01: Didn't like it much. Far too much open space, filled with largely inconsequential low tier hitscanners. Doesn't seem to resemble the first level of Doom II at all.

MAP02: Pretty decent and challenging (on UV equivalent setting). Some very obtrusive HOM-type effects in one area on the sourceport I was using at the time (GZDoom 3.6.0).

MAP03: Impressive, especially the way the long dark tunnel emerges into the brightly lit central arena. Nice use of the invisible steps there as well.

MAP04: Not bad. Very similar to the original Doom II level. Unfortunately I haven't been able to complete it as I can't get the door after the red door to open. First thought it might be a puzzle, a missed switch or something. Then tried updating the sourceport from GZDoom 3.6.0 to 4.3.3, but that had no effect.

17 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

I've been playing this, some quick comments:

MAP01: Didn't like it much. Far too much open space, filled with largely inconsequential low tier hitscanners. Doesn't seem to resemble the first level of Doom II at all.

MAP02: Pretty decent and challenging (on UV equivalent setting). Some very obtrusive HOM-type effects in one area on the sourceport I was using at the time (GZDoom 3.6.0).

MAP03: Impressive, especially the way the long dark tunnel emerges into the brightly lit central arena. Nice use of the invisible steps there as well.

MAP04: Not bad. Very similar to the original Doom II level. Unfortunately I haven't been able to complete it as I can't get the door after the red door to open. First thought it might be a puzzle, a missed switch or something. Then tried updating the sourceport from GZDoom 3.6.0 to 4.3.3, but that had no effect.

I will try to shorten the starting area as much as possible, although it's meant to be there as a "how you got here" kind of area. The hitscanners have been made to target the marines helping you, after playing a bit more I will ensure that you are the only target in their sights. :) | I will try to make the first level resemble Entryway a lot more, some areas are going to get a total overhaul I believe!

I'm glad MAP02 was as challenging as I hoped it would be! Can you show exactly where this horrible HOM effect is? The only thing worse than hell is silly oversights like that left in the WAD.

Thank you very much for MAP03! I am adding volumetric lighting on maps now, so it should look even better in an update!

MAP04 was based off The Focus from the PSX port of Doom, I'm glad it looks as it does. After playtesting I have found that pesky door that was hindering your progress! All fixed now! I hope the next update will fix at least some of these negatives!

Thank you very much for the review!

21 minutes ago, MikeyScoots said:

Doom II: Hell Unleashed and Doom II: Re-Build't kinda beat you to the punch buddy.

Oh well, I hope this one has something the others may not have. :)

Actually, after looking at the others... yeah. This one isn't so pretty. Still, rather add my own touch to it and maybe there's something interesting about it!

Thank you for checking it out anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Try not to be too disheartened, @TheBillzar820 even if you decide to scrap this project, you might still be able to salvage some of your work and create a new original megaWAD.

I'll still continue to make this WAD, simply because I've also made a re-imagining of Doom 1's levels as well. I sort of wanted to combine the two together once that WAD had enough maps finished to make a Double feature like WAD.

However, if this WAD ends up being like too many projects, I will most definitely take up your suggestion of turning it into something more original - maybe include the Doom 1 Re-Imagined levels as well and make a kind of UltraWAD I guess... or a double MegaWAD? A very big MegaWAD? I don't know!

4 hours ago, MikeyScoots said:

Doom II: Hell Unleashed and Doom II: Re-Build't kinda beat you to the punch buddy.

Ultimate Doom II, Doom 2 Redux, Hell on Earth Starter Pack/Extermination Day, and HontE Remastered all got there before either of those. Then there's the remake I'm working on, and I believe Major Arlene is working on one too.

Don't let any of that stop you! Although if you're looking for other ideas, I don't remember anyone ever remaking Evilution...

Edited by NiGHTMARE

3 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Ultimate Doom II, Doom 2 Redux, Hell on Earth Started Pack/Extermination Day, and HontE Remastered all got there before either of those. Then there's the remake I'm working on, and I believe Major Arlene is working on one too.

Don't let any of that stop you! Although if you're looking for other ideas, I don't remember anyone ever remaking Evilution...

Funnily enough, this WAD was supposed to run with the Plutonia IWAD because I wanted it to be a Doom 2 / Plutonia difficulty hybrid.

After renaming the WAD to Doom 2: Reloaded I also wanted to include all other IWADs to make a Quadrilogy, I've even got a whole finished level for Doom 1: Reloaded as well (Obviously both WADs have been renamed because of the first post telling me that the name was already taken). So the whole thing would've been like 96 levels from Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT - plus the 36 levels from Doom 1 which is a whopping 132 levels!

I haven't even started Plutonia or TNT yet, although I would love to get onto them very soon! It's just a case of packing all the levels into one WAD and hoping it's all enjoyable, challenging and re-playable. Then I can rename the entire thing to something like "Doom: The re-imagined Quadrilogy".

Thank you for checking out the WAD and your support is very appreciated! I hope your remake goes smoothly.

5 hours ago, TheBillzar820 said:

I'm glad MAP02 was as challenging as I hoped it would be! Can you show exactly where this horrible HOM effect is? The only thing worse than hell is silly oversights like that left in the WAD.

Here's a partial playthrough of the map, which came to a premature end, but the effects referred to can be seen at 03:13 and from 04:03 to 04:42.

23 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Here's a partial playthrough of the map, which came to a premature end, but the effects referred to can be seen at 03:13 and from 04:03 to 04:42.

Thank you for the video, I have never seen such a phenomenon on my end (Even when using GZDoom 3.6.0).

Still, I wanted to try and fix this in whatever way I could. I know that this map in particular uses "Transfer Heights" instead of 3D Floors to give off the water effect, this has been changed to (hopefully) resolve the issue and for consistency sake.

Again, thank you very much for the footage. I hope the issue is resolved in the next update! (Which will be out hopefully in the upcoming days).

Hopefully I haven't missed too much around here?! Anyways, there's a new update and download link! Hope you all enjoy!

Oh, if you've downloaded the Zip as soon as this was updated, firstly thank you very much! :D But you should download it again - the original didn't contain the Status Bar files OR the Map Screen prototype that I said I'd include, whoops! :P

Edited by TheBillzar820 : I forgor forgor

On 9/12/2022 at 2:01 PM, UmbrellAssassin said:

Glad to see your back. Thanks for the update?

What is this map screen prototype? Mine looks pretty normal.

Also love the simple hud. Always a fan of those.

Thank you very much! Hopefully I'll get more updates coming more frequently than before. Glad you like the HUD - I'm always willing to improve it (or anything else) if there's something not right with it!

As for the map screen prototype - I meant the Intermission screen maps that you see in Doom 1's episodes 1,2 and 3. I should have made that more clear. :P