Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eharper256

Walpurgis- 0.99 (For Doom, Heretic, Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

13 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

BTW. Regarding poll from April 1. My vote for B. It seems it will cover some things that HeXeReTiC Fantasy has and I liked, but that mod is overloaded by enemy types and some other things, that can't be settled up. Also it doesn't support Doom and Hexen, while I'm mostly use Walpurgis for the last one. As for the items... current number of them seems to be fine for now in my opinion.

Sadly you're a bit late for that vote; A is the current focus; but don't worry, B is due to go in later as well, this was just the priority ordering.

Happy Walpurgisnacht everyone! (its this weekend)

Eventually I'll try to actually do a release on the correct day (lol) but its not this year unfortunately. Walp is already 2 years old already though which is pretty shocking (then again, the entire lockdown period felt like a time-stop for me since I was a shielder).

Hope everyone has a nice weekend; might try and throw another video up later if I get time. XD

Covering Map 2 of Irkalla by Phobus, Stormwalker et. al. which is a remake of Episode III of Classic Doom. Map 2, Slough of Despair, is my favourite map in E3, so I had to do a video of the remake of it. XD

Why is Slough my favourite? Well, little kid me playing doom in the 90's obviously giggled at the Automap; but older me feels it encapsulates alot of what I find good in Doom levels; short and punchy, full of little nooks and crannies and secrets, balanced fights, and not too linear, but with a clear flow and obvious progression. And the remake does a good job keeping that whilst making it pretty.

Get this wad here:

9 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

So, it seems, it's possible to pick, for example, necromancer, but play with Walpurgis by other hand. Classes will be rewritten, but the rest will left.

If you really want to, yes, this sort of thing will partially work; though I won't support any problems caused by this kind of replacement and I expect the spawners will break and you might not get weapons correctly appearing.

You'll also be pleased to know, though, that one of the new unique cooldown items being developed for the Magister in 0.97 will indeed have a Necromancy feature.

2 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

Heretic and HeXen are some of my fav retro FPS games and playign through them, once again, with this mod is going to be such a treat

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. It also works pretty well in Doom (there are lots of alternative elite monsters and new behaviours).

Here's the first couple of levels of 400 Mins of /vr/

Although its been many a year since I frequented 4chan, I recall playing 300 mins of /vr/ and it was pretty decent. Whoever organises these in such a fast moving place always gets my props though! You can get this wad here:

Just a super-short preview to demonstrate the fact that the new portraits are now integrated into the game along with new character select graphics!

Things are progressing reasonably well for the next version; though not much concrete to show off right now, and I may have to stall development over the next week since I've just got a promotion at work, which is great, but it means I'll need to do another intensive training course. -_-'

Joining the already re-written intermission text for Doom and Heretic, and the re-written Hexen Chess Ending, I've put together more unique intermissions for the transitions between the hubs in Hexen, including new text and graphics. In the base game, they are notably really sparse!

Now I know we don't play old-skool FPS for epic storylines, but it always kinda bothered me that Hexen has probably EVEN LESS text than Doom! So I've added a thread of basic plot and sense of place into these screens. Hardly epic prose, but it'll do. :D

Should probably support ultra-wide as well, I made the new backgrounds the same size as the GZDoom widescreen assets.

Edited by eharper256

Very good weapons pack. Tried it together with "Elementalism" and it works perfectly. I especially like how the druid class's kit fits in so well with the chapter themes—highly recommended to try these two together.

9 hours ago, Fänrik Nalle said:

Very good weapons pack. Tried it together with "Elementalism" and it works perfectly. I especially like how the druid class's kit fits in so well with the chapter themes—highly recommended to try these two together.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed using it.

Also interesting to hear it works fine with Elementalism; as I believe that has some of its own custom weapons. Loading Walp after the wads in question will usually work for all but hardcoded DeHackED changes, but good to know it works for that one as its a popular one. And yeah, if its Water, then Earth, Druid will indeed advance in tune with it (With Dagon's Cane/Ice Warg Form => Hebiko Sceptre being the progression).

Announcement: Please note that 4.8.0 GZDoom will currently break Walpurgis, as this patch has stripped away a function I use in the Custom Statusbar code. Going by a discussion on the topic, 4.8.1 will re-include this function when its out, and I will see if I can push a fix. But in the meantime please continue to use 4.7.x!

New video of Silence, a vanilla E1-E3 replacer wad from Wilster_Wonkels:

I'm playing E3M1 to E3M3 of it here. Its pretty good! In case you're wondering about the jump at the end, I somehow missed the exit and spent about 2 mins wondering about, so I cropped that out. You can get this mapset here:

0.96A is released. This is bugfix release to make Walp work with the new GZDoom 4.8.0, which stripped away a function that was required for my statusbar code. For now, I've added a workaround for it. But rather than attempt to back-port my current dev version and its bugs galore, I decided to use a stable version from May as the base for this patch. As a bonus, this means you get the new portraits and stuff (whee!) at least rather than just a bug-fix.
------------------------------------

Get it here from MEGA

Or here from Googledrive

------------------------------------

Changelog:

[0.96A]
'Superficially Broken'
--------------------
14/06/2022
>>>>>>>	This is a bugfix release for compatibility with GZDoom 4.8.0 <<<<<<<<<
	But rather than strip everything from dev version, I thought I'd modify
	a version from early May, so you get a couple extra visual things.
+New!:	All four characters got proper portraits! These are now visible on both
	character selection, and the newly revised HELP sheets, which have also
	been updated to bring them up to date with the most recent information.
+New!:	Hexen intermissions get a re-write to match the quality of the re-write
	of the Heretic and Doom intermissions. Previously, only the ending
	scene was rewritten.
+Tweak:	Satyrs get a couple of extra sound effects for idle and dying noises.
+Tweak:	Doom Pinkie Demons get a proper XDeath animation.
+Misc:	Various coding frameworks for 0.97 (non-functional). 

This is a short single map called "EOH Lost Mission" by ARMCoder. Just the sort of short and sweet thing I needed for a quick Dooming this evening (and as a quick tester to ensure the new 0.96A was stable with Doom). Pretty fun little map.

You can get it here:

Another quite big video today covering Aquaduct; a pair of levels for the Plutonia iwad (or a Wadsmoosh, as I use) by Dopaminecloud.

I always enjoy people using the Jungle textures, it's certainly a breath of fresh air compared to techbases in Doom. This one is pretty tough but at an enjoyable level. Flows well, though heck knows where the secrets are (lol).

You can get it here:

One thing I've been focusing on the last few days is various alterations and fixes to the main Hexen iwad. This includes adding scripting to fix the old 3 serpents issue with Gibbet, making the Death Wyvern's pathing get stuck less, and adding a bit of difficulty to Korax who basically died immediately before to Walp's changes (lol). Here's a video:

Well, perhaps he still needs a bit of work, but he now has a fighting chance at least, with some innate resistances, more HP, pain resistance, and some really deadly alternate attacks including gas clouds, and a giant wave of fire. He now also always opens up the initial swarm of enemies on the first teleport away. Let me know what you think.

Just a quick video today of me checking out a very short map called Perditions Grotto by AleDoom as it was lonely for comments and I like checking those out (haha).

You can get this one here:

Today we're here with 512 Linedefs of /vr/, another recent 4chan level project. It ended up quite a long one since I was constantly going "oh this is pretty good, I'll check another" and recording another level, which is quite high praise from me. I actually usually like /vr/'s level sets, they're short and punchy and just my style usually, and this is no exception. This video covers maps 1-6.

You might notice a couple of sprite extras on the Myrmidon if you watch closely today (heh) as he just got a few. Anyways, you can get this here:

There's a huge chunk of DBP series that I've never got around to playing, but this newest entry into the series, The Mausoleum Nefarium, seemed an especially fitting one to do with a Walp video, so here we are:

As usual, they're fun and super pretty themed levels, and I always enjoy them for a decent romp. Though alot of DBP's end up a little too hard for me by the end of the sets, I nevertheless often enjoy them, which is a sign of fun design. And one can never dislike the effort that goes into the architecture!

You can get it here:

Qdt5G8B.png
Back portraits for intermission scenes are now basically done, and looking pretty nice!

What do you all think of them?

I always like M.C. Escher like levels in monochrome, so I decided to check out NULL this week:

You can get it here:

New Feature Preview video today:

Just a quick peek at some of the stuff that will be coming in the 0.97 patch, showing off some (likely not final) "mutated upgrades" on the Firestorm Font, which will be added in as an alternate upgrade choice.

The Primary Fire Mutation Upgrade gets a snake like bouncy fire with extended range, and the Secondary Fire Mutation Upgrade changes the mortar shot into a blazing shotgun blast.

You can also see some of the changes to The Sword of Quietus Aurelius, including a swish new draw and sheath animation as well as much quicker charging on the secondary fire.

Very cool, I admit I'm pretty interested in how you did all this. I have a long way to go...

15 hours ago, K_Doom said:

Very cool, I admit I'm pretty interested in how you did all this. I have a long way to go...

Thanks, glad you like it!

Just another uber short preview clip today:

Though I've got alot of these mutation upgrades being worked on right now, this one is my current favourite and is almost complete; its the Mutated Secondary Fire for Aestus, changing it from a rolling boulder into a meteor summoning!

Egregor, the creator of ENDQUEST, asked me to play it, so here's a video:

I had it in my list for a while but never managed to get around to it. This is Maps 1 and 3, because the video of Map 2 got corrupted unfortunately. It's got a rather labyrinthine quality to it, with long levels and lots of monster closets (lol). But it looks gorgeous. As an aside, you'll spot the new 0.97 upgrade for the Lightbringer Laser here. For this, you'll have a weaker laser for about 1 second, but then it will explode into a roaring double-size laser with extra range and power!

You can get this set here:

I have been charmed by this lovely mod as a old WoW player !

Thank you for this gem :)

14 hours ago, Briøche said:

I have been charmed by this lovely mod as a old WoW player !

Thank you for this gem :)

Thanks for playing it, and glad you're enjoying.

New video showing the Lightbringers mutations in action, among other things:

First of all, we see the Prism's rainbow laser got a looks upgrade! It looks pretty swish now if you ask me.

Secondly, the new mutations: mutating the primary changes the lightbringer into a rapid-fire, low accuracy version. Awesome for mowing down packs, but loses its long range capabilities. The Secondary makes the basic laser fork into two, and both beams will bounce (preferring to bounce towards a nearby target if possible). Each is less powerful than the standard lightbringer beam (and especially the now different normal upgrade, which is shown afterwards, that changes into a fatter superpowered laser after a short delay) but again, you get fantastic AoE clearing. The Tertiary mutation isn't fully done yet and is not set in stone (and is clearly overpowered, lol) but right now it changes the prism from a support that enhances your regular shots and laser, to a slow but strong prismatic bomb.

Let me know what you think!

Also, lucky for everyone here, the new Path of Exile patch turned out to nerf loot into the ground and completely remove most of the fun (again!), so I guess I won't be too distracted with it for this week off that I've got.