Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

"Play-to-Earn" Games

14 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Can someone please explain to me what a "play-to-earn" game is? I investigated but a lot of it might as well be written in Japanese. I don't pay attention to NFTs and all that because I only have a few brain cells left, and I'd like to keep at least one or two of them. I get lost whenever I come across terms like "metaverse" and other words I'll never give a shit about. So I have some questions:

1)Do you get paid in crypto?
2)How much can people earn?
3)On a scale from 1-toiletwater, how big of a scam is it?
4)What are the games like, and where do you play them?
5)(unrelated) What the fuck is a Metaverse?

I feel like I'm becoming more and more lost when it comes to the industry. I'm pretty knowledgable about games and computers, but for the past couple years reading news articles about the gaming industry is about as fun as having a nightmare that you're getting your ass probed by an alien, and then you wake up and the alien is laying next to you asking how many BTC his jpeg of Kendrick Lamar's prostate is worth.

1) Kind Of.

2) Almost Fucking Nothing.

3) toiletwater.

4) 50% Of These Games Are Made With Stolen Assets, Or Die Out In 1 Week. It's Not Worth It To Say Where You Can Find 'Em.

5) I'd Like To Know That Too!

I don't know a lot about these games, but they sound like the one of the most dystopian concepts I've ever heard of. Why get an actual job, when you can just get paid to waste away grinding in a soulless mobile game? 

Metaverse is just yet another re-branding of the internet. Just because you're doing traditionally non-internet things (such as live music) in a goofy 3D world, doesn't mean it's anything truly beyond what the internet already was. But the people selling the idea need to have a catchy name so they can sell you something you already have.

It's the same thing with "the cloud." I love when people ask me, "what is the cloud?" And I respond, a stupid ass name for the internet. The only difference is that your average computer and connection are now fast enough to make things like synced folders and real-time multiplayer document editing practical and easy to access.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:16 PM, Sena said:

In the future, everyone will be outsourced Chinese gold miners in World of Warcraft!

i already am

On 7/12/2022 at 5:02 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

5)(unrelated) What the fuck is a Metaverse? 

The Metaverse was a fictional construct in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (1992) Novel, it was a play on the term "cyberspace" which first appeared in Gibson's Neuromancer (1984) Novel.

As Hiro approaches the Street, he sees two young couples, probably using their parents' computers for a double date in the Metaverse, climbing down out of Port Zero, which is the local port of entry and monorail stop. He is not seeing real people, of course. This is all a part of the moving illustration drawn by his computer according to specifications coming down the fiber-optic cable. The people are pieces of software called avatars. They are the audiovisual bodies that people use to communicate with each other in the Metaverse. Hiro's avatar is now on the Street, too, and if the couples coming off the monorail look over in his direction, they can see him, just as he's seeing them. They could strike up a conversation: Hiro in the U-Stor-It in L.A. and the four teenagers probably on a couch in a suburb of Chicago, each with their own laptop. But they probably won't talk to each other, any more than they would in Reality.

That is what I think of when I hear Metaverse. Not sure how accurate the fb-appropriated-terminology relates to the original meaning.

Play-to-earn games are a scam for everyone involved except the 0.01% that somehow manage to earn a fair amount of money from them, or the people that made the game. Most likely these games will end up steadily wasting all your money by the 'promise' of being able to make you money or getting some pointless NFT. Also, the security on these games are terrible, there was a story where hackers associated with the North Korean Government managed to hack $600 million out of a play-to-earn game through a fake job offer. In short, they're a scam that'll waste your money with very little to no reward.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

It's all bullshit anymore, and it probably always was.  I think there are just periods of time, where the levels of constant bullshit, are slightly offset by some of the beautiful things growing out of it.

After being tuned out of all of it, to varying degrees, for a little while now, it's kind of hard to keep up with a lot of things.  And I don't really want to anyway.

"There is nothing new under the sun."  "It's all been done before."

I do find progress in general, exciting, and worth keeping up with; for example the James Webb Space telescope, scientific advancement, etc..  But, on the whole, I think these are dark times, that will get progressively darker, for a while, until there is some sort of change.  And it seems that change for good, is usually slow and gradual, and extremely fragile and delicate.