Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD: Released! It's KDiZD for doom2.exe - 1.7.1 is now on /idgames

Will this work in prboom or zandronum? I don't really want to install dsda doom or eternity.

....Wait this is real what the fuck??? Well now I know what I'm doing for the next 24 hours, lol.

Just now, Firedust said:

Will this work in prboom or zandronum? I don't really want to install dsda doom or eternity.

Pr will probably work but expect a lot of graphical glitches, with bright white pixels and some monsters looking glitchy. DSDA has the same problem.

Zandronum won't work.

1 minute ago, Firedust said:

EDIT: Ignore this.

This seems like a great time to use Eternity more, and I'm glad it lets me drag and drop the whole zip.

7 minutes ago, Gothic said:

This seems like a great time to use Eternity more, and I'm glad it lets me drag and drop the whole zip.

In case you're using a dev build of EE rather than the latest official release, make sure it's from at least September 3rd of this year, as there was a dehacked-related savegame bug that affects this wad.

45 minutes ago, holaareola said:

On Win 11, right click on chocolate-doom.exe, click show more options and then create shortcut. Then right click and select properties on your new shortcut (or highlight it and press alt+enter) and then change the target to something like below:o Doom folder.

Will this also work with Woof? It has an autoload folder but i'm not sure if it can load both wads at the same time this way.

I'll have to give this a go sometime, but I did notice that the episode select menu doesn't show any episodes in Nugget Doom. I loaded the 3 files (A, B, and the deh file) with DoomLauncher too, if that happens to be relevant. Though I'm still able to get past that menu and start the first map, so it's not the most concerning issue. 

2 hours ago, Gregor said:

I'm fascinated with the red see-through floor in the E1M1 opening room.

etrn00.png.c8c4152aa60342647562c1e93e10c637.png

I don't understand exactly how this works, or more specifically, why the floor texture seems to overdraw the wall textures and not the other way around. But it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Because that's literally just how Doom's renderer works. It draws floor and ceiling planes before masked walls, and there's no clipping performed if there's no seg split (no visplane is generated if the sector properties are identical, so it treats it all as the same plane draw).

3 minutes ago, Dweller said:

I'll have to give this a go sometime, but I did notice that the episode select menu doesn't show any episodes in Nugget Doom. I loaded the 3 files (A, B, and the deh file) with DoomLauncher too, if that happens to be relevant. Though I'm still able to get past that menu and start the first map, so it's not the most concerning issue. 

Thanks for the report. It's a known bug and will be fixed in the next build.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Because that's literally just how Doom's renderer works. It draws floor and ceiling planes before masked walls, and there's no clipping performed if there's no seg split (no visplane is generated if the sector properties are identical, so it treats it all as the same plane draw).

Could you define "masked walls"? You mean the linedef with the red texture that is "hidden" inside the floor sector or the fact that the texture in question has some form of grid pattern backed into it??

11 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Could you define "masked walls"? You mean the linedef with the red texture that is "hidden" inside the floor sector or the fact that the texture in question has some form of grid pattern backed into it??

Correct, I mean the wall itself. I say masked* as a weird term that comes from different game engines, but I do just mean 2-sided midtextures.

*Like sprites they are drawn with a special draw routine to handle gaps in the image columns.

So this is meant to be played with auto aim? Is there anyway to add a crosshair to Prboom Plus? Thanks!

it was so cool to be shown all this cool shit early and get to test it too. long live kdizd long live kdikdizd

12 minutes ago, Yhe1 said:

So this is meant to be played with auto aim? Is there anyway to add a crosshair to Prboom Plus? Thanks!

if you're using prboom-plus-um, you can enable mouse aim under general options with "allow vertical aiming" (penultimate page) and crosshair in status bar/hud menu under setup. keep in mind that certain visual tricks in this mapset require software rendering, so you would have to contend with distorted 3D.

Man, it feels like this began a lifetime ago... So great to see it released to the public after all these years! Big props to essel and everyone else who sank countless hours into this master class of vanilla mapping wizardry!

The sliding door texture in Map 16 (M4) is glitchy in the latest version of Crispy Doom.

I've been playing through with PRBoom Plus for a little bit with no noticeable problems so far. I just got to the second map. Pretty amazing that this was made with the original doom2.exe in mind.

7 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Will this also work with Woof? It has an autoload folder but i'm not sure if it can load both wads at the same time this way.

It works in Woof from my testing. Recent versions of Woof support ZIP archives, so you can just run -file kdikdizd.zip.

I realized that the sliding door found at the beginning of M4 works if you turn off uncapped framerate. Otherwise, it glitches.

48 minutes ago, JXC said:

I realized that the sliding door found at the beginning of M4 works if you turn off uncapped framerate. Otherwise, it glitches.

In which port? There is a visual glitch in Crispy Doom. It seems to work correctly in PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom/Woof.

2 minutes ago, rfomin said:

In which port? There is a visual glitch in Crispy Doom. It seems to work correctly in PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom/Woof.

This definitely happens with PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom when uncapped framerate is enabled - that's a side effect with how they handle the interpolation between gametics which is very noticeable with any instant-speed movement.

btw playing on choco, i seem to have found some rather tutti-frutti-licious computers in toxin refinery, both sides of the exit room stairs:

(theres probably more little bits of tutti frutti out there and most other sourceports don't care but these caught my eye so i thought i'd report)

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

I just played a bit in Crispy. Absolutly solid references. And then the visuals! Vanilla trickery at it's best! This is so fkng amazing... Don't dare to open the editor and spoil the magic. I'm still in denial.