Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alaux

Nugget Doom 3.3.0 (updated October 20th, '24)

Woof has become my daily driver so I'll try out Nugget and see how that goes. I love all these forks with new features because the base ports are so fuckin good already.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, Dweller said:

Congrats on the new release! Anyway, I'm curious about this "selective fuzz darkening" thing, is it referring to how things are rendered or does it have something to do with Spectres?

It started with this post by Linguica suggesting a "bug" with the vanilla fuzz effect and proposing a "solution". Ceski tried it out in Woof, here's a video preview. I like it, it's a bit smoother and harder to see, a little closer to the cloaking in Predator which might have been an inspiration, who knows.

35 minutes ago, pantheon said:

It started with this post by Linguica suggesting a "bug" with the vanilla fuzz effect and proposing a "solution". Ceski tried it out in Woof, here's a video preview. I like it, it's a bit smoother and harder to see, a little closer to the cloaking in Predator which might have been an inspiration, who knows.

I usually prefer the original fuzz effect, but that actually looks pretty cool. I do have a question about another feature, what does "Imitate player's breathing" do? 

9 minutes ago, Dweller said:

I usually prefer the original fuzz effect, but that actually looks pretty cool. I do have a question about another feature, what does "Imitate player's breathing" do? 

Looks like it adds a subtle vertical bobbing to your view similar to v_idlescale in Quake if you're familiar with that. I actually like v_idlescale 0.5 in vkQuake so this is cute too. 

36 minutes ago, pantheon said:

Looks like it adds a subtle vertical bobbing to your view

Correct. It really is like the subtle movement of one's body when they breathe (albeit exaggerated I'd say). With it enabled, your view won't look so static while you stand still.

Maybe I should rename it to something else. "Subtle/Minimal Idle Bobbing"?

26 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Correct. It really is like the subtle movement of one's body when they breathe (albeit exaggerated I'd say). With it enabled, your view won't look so static while you stand still.

Maybe I should rename it to something else. "Subtle/Minimal Idle Bobbing"?

I think "Subtle Idle Breathing" might be a good name for it, it's short and sums up what the feature does without being confusing. Also, is a textured automap like in DSDA-Doom a possibility with Woof/Nugget Doom?

46 minutes ago, Dweller said:

Also, is a textured automap like in DSDA-Doom a possibility with Woof/Nugget Doom?

I'm not very interested in such a thing, and I've no idea on how to implement it either. Definitely not coming soon, not from me at least. Might be a different story with Woof, though.

It depends on the hardware renderer somehow if I remember right. So, probably not happening any time soon.

Have to say - I was experimenting with "breathing" amplitude a lot and even tried to make amplitude 0-shape and 8-shape styled (what's the names for these figures?...), but almost immediately rejected idea of moving camera horizontally by two simple reasons: 1) it is a bit annoying. Shifting camera horizontally is preventing proper aiming, and needles to say will make some tricks like zero-press almost impossible. 2) it is not safe for demos! Horizontal-only movement is absolutely safe, as it's not moving player up/down, neither making him taller/shorter, it just moves camera view-Z position.

11 minutes ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Have to say - I was experimenting with "breathing" amplitude a lot and even tried to make amplitude 0-shape and 8-shape styled (what's the names for these figures?...), but almost immediately rejected idea of moving camera horizontally by two simple reasons: 1) it is a bit annoying. Shifting camera horizontally is preventing proper aiming, and needles to say will make some tricks like zero-press almost impossible. 2) it is not safe for demos! Horizontal-only movement is absolutely safe, as it's not moving player up/down, neither making him taller/shorter, it just moves camera view-Z position.

It wouldn't make much sense for your view to move horizontally if you're just breathing - it surely does move in that manner, but it's probably much more subtle than the already-subtle vertical movement. Horizontal view movement would make sense if you're walking or running, though.

As for it being annoying, it could very well be disabled by the user. As for demo compatibility, I'm pretty sure that there must be a way to implement it safely; namely, using additional variables that are only used for rendering while keeping the logical demo-critical variables untouched.

13 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Horizontal view movement would make sense if you're walking or running, though.

That's really interesting idea to think about, thank you! Still have to be done carefully (rendering-only must be a key), otherwise walking on thin ledges like in Chasm of Doom 2 will be not safe for player's health. 😀

i found a weird bug with the autoload folder, if you put stuff like doom.wad in the doom.wad folder in the autoloader it doesn't make the engine run it just makes it stay on the background.

6 hours ago, Redead-ITA said:

i found a weird bug with the autoload folder, if you put stuff like doom.wad in the doom.wad folder in the autoloader it doesn't make the engine run it just makes it stay on the background.

I think it's safe to say that doing that is unexpected; it's not something you should be trying to do at all. However, if you insist on reporting it as a bug, I suggest you report it to Woof instead.

Does this involve an autoload loop (i.e. doom.wad autoloads doom.wad, which autoloads doom.wad, etc.)? I think these were impossible at some time, @rfomin?

3 hours ago, fabian said:

Does this involve an autoload loop (i.e. doom.wad autoloads doom.wad, which autoloads doom.wad, etc.)? I think these were impossible at some time, @rfomin?

Maybe we had it some time ago. I don't remember who removed it, but it's currently not possible.

Hi @Alaux do the "fake archvile jump" and the "jump" bindable actions differs in any way, in terms of implementation and/or effects on the player/world?  

3 hours ago, liPillON said:

do the "fake archvile jump" and the "jump" bindable actions differs in any way, in terms of implementation and/or effects on the player/world?  

Off the top of my head, the AVJ boost is greater than that of a normal jump, and its calculation actually takes the player's mass into account. As for normal jumps, they've a bit of code that squats your weapon down when you jump, if the corresponding setting is enabled.

Also, normal jumps require you to be on the ground to be performed, and they have a bit of a cooldown, whereas AVJs can be performed at any time.

Edited by Alaux

question about NUGHUD: does it give any control over where the berserk icon will be drawn?

it seems to use the coordinates for the "nughud_ammo" widget, but something's off in both my custom huds

does it have something to do with sprite offsets, or calculation being performed assuming that the hud is using lumps of the same size as STTNUMx?

screenshots & link to my lumps

nughud_modern - https://github.com/liPillON/nughud_modern/blob/main/wad/NUGHUD.txt

nughud_minimal - https://github.com/liPillON/nughud_minimal/blob/main/wad/NUGHUD.txt

22 minutes ago, liPillON said:

question about NUGHUD: does it give any control over where the berserk icon will be drawn?

it seems to use the coordinates for the "nughud_ammo" widget, but something's off in both my custom huds

Check out the code, I think that's better than trying to explain it myself.

Anyways, there's no fine-grained control over the Berserk Pack's position apart from changing the position of the Ammo widget with NUGHUD. I might add support for an alternative Berserk patch to make up for it.

oh don't loose too much time on it

it came out just because I was testing various scenarios 

personally I don't care about it and I don't think it fits the style of both huds anyway

I'll add a OPTIONS lump to the wads, to force "show_berserk" to 0

11 minutes ago, liPillON said:

oh don't loose too much time on it

it came out just because I was testing various scenarios 

personally I don't care about it and I don't think it fits the style of both huds anyway

I think I'll go ahead with it anyways. Should be pretty simple to implement but fairly useful.

Nugget Doom 1.14.0 has been released! Probably the biggest release thus far.

First and foremost, changes from Woof releases up to 11.1.4 have been merged, so we've got a whole bunch of improvements from there.

Moving on, NUGHUD has been extended quite a bit; most importantly, it now supports some custom fonts, and allows to relocate pretty much every single HUD element.

Here are some examples (first one courtesy of @liPillON):
imagen.png.ef94e6c1636d9a3b6e3f32a0f82f09d6.png

More examples:

Spoiler

imagen.png.af4d9fc299639934eaf5d5b3eb146217.png

imagen.png.2c6a672188e926eeb6c0f801e5c0595b.png

Note that this can be done without affecting the traditional Status Bar at all; you can switch from the Status Bar to whatever crazy HUD you design, with a mere key press.

Apart from that, there aren't many new features. The grand majority of other changes are general improvements and bug fixes, and there's quite a handful of them.

Some of those fixes are in regards to FOV. The FOV value you set now does correspond to the field of view in degrees. Due to this, the FOV value default has been changed to 90 (which matches Woof's fixed FOV), so you'll have to change your FOV value if you're upgrading from an older version of Nugget and want to keep your old FOV.

DIRECT DOWNLOADS:
Windows 32-bit (ZIP)
Windows 64-bit (ZIP)
Debian Package (DEB), once again courtesy of @Maribo

See the GitHub release for all details. Have fun!

Finally got to try it, really like it, all the small neat things on top of vanilla. New teleport zoom effect is really disorienting, in a good way.

One bug, also present in 1.13.0, haven't tried anything before it. When using FluidSynth the music is not looping properly, especially noticeable on E1M1, like 5 seconds of complete silence. It happens with in-built TimGM6mb soundfont, and I tried some SC-55 variant, same result.

31 minutes ago, Deil said:

One bug, also present in 1.13.0, haven't tried anything before it. When using FluidSynth the music is not looping properly, especially noticeable on E1M1, like 5 seconds of complete silence. It happens with in-built TimGM6mb soundfont, and I tried some SC-55 variant, same result.

This is Fluidsynth bug, already fixed. @Alaux update your MSYS2 packages.

36 minutes ago, rfomin said:

This is Fluidsynth bug, already fixed. @Alaux update your MSYS2 packages.

Will do. Thanks for mentioning it.

@rfomin Actually, what if I provide artifact builds like these for releases? That's how Woof generates its release builds anyways, or so I believe. I'll still manage releases myself.

24 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Actually, what if I provide artifact builds like these for releases?

Yes, it should be fine. These are static builds made with MSVC.

21 hours ago, rfomin said:

Yes, it should be fine. These are static builds made with MSVC.

Alright, thanks. Before replacing them, though...

@Deil, if you have a GitHub account, try downloading either of the builds here. Otherwise, try this 32-bit build [attachment deleted] (I don't know if you use 32 or 64 bit, and there's a limited attachment quota so I can't upload both). Let me know if the FluidSynth issue is solved.

Edited by Alaux

I'm familiar with the issue (since I'm the one who raised it upstream) and I can confirm that:

- the statitcally built artifacts are not affected

- the dinamically linked binaries provided with the 1.14 release package are affected

also +1 for static-build-based releases: they're so nice and tidy ;)