Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 hours ago, MeinLeben4MomRus1945 said:

Is this low end functional?

depends on how low end you're talking.  I only have 6 gigs of RAM and 1 gig of VRAM (if I remember right), and I ran this without any other major programs open, and some areas had worse framerates than others, and trying to load a save takes like 10 seconds every time.  playable, but a little tedious

wanted to post some screenshots of things that are easy to miss, for posterity

Spoiler

the ghoulie in the brutalist area

Screenshot_Doom_20230408_022521.png

classic "hang in there baby" poster in the backrooms

Screenshot_Doom_20230410_010533.png

when you're going for the true beach ending and you return to the house for the last time after escaping the mirror gas station, if you go to the attic you can see the "mirror/shadow vile" in the mirror

Screenshot_Doom_20230410_011100.png

something for the ARG Lore discussion that I don't think I saw mentioned before (could be wrong): in the fake beach, the S+A heart is written in the sand but incomplete/fading out, while in the real beach, it is whole

Screenshot_Doom_20230410_000705.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230410_005348.png

also, something a bit nitpicky: I generally like to play Doom without freelook if I don't have to, which you can tell from these screenshots.  this mod mentions that freelook is "permitted" but, if you want to get through the water area, you seemingly have to use freelook (unless I was just doing something wrong but I kinda doubt it).  but I guess updating the description to say freelook is required rather than permitted might be implying too much, since the water area isn't technically required

4 hours ago, Mr.Unsmiley said:

if you want to get through the water area, you seemingly have to use freelook

Spoiler

You mean the bathhouse water area, and not the beaches, right? Cause I didn't use freelook at all and got through the underwater part. Just need to bind swim up and down to a few keys and you'll be fine. It did take me a bit to actually get down into the hole since I couldn't look down, but that was the only issue I had.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, Gregor said:

The pk3 is the actual mod. That's what you need to run if you wanna play My House. The separate wad file contains the alleged OG version of the house that Veddge found on the old floppy disk that Tom's parents gave to him. It's the vanilla version of the map before any modifications by Veddge, the way it was created by Thomas Allord in the early 2000s. Supposedly.

I see! was curious cus I was editing the pk3 to function with hideous destructor for fun 

Spoiler

If you want the super shotgun and plasma gun at same time do you have to get blue key (Then go to brutalist house via garage) come back from that with the plasma gun then go to underhalls and get super shotgun and come back?

map reminds me of unloved a ton but way way way waaaaay more smoother

abdennum

Spoiler

from as far as I could tell you can't sequence break in the map at all. No matter what I tried it all somehow worked out or was planned for. Masterful stuff!

Edited by Cellular Lamp : abdennum

5 minutes ago, Cellular Lamp said:

Hide contents

If you want the super shotgun and plasma gun at same time do you have to get blue key (Then go to brutalist house via garage) come back from that with the plasma gun then go to underhalls and get super shotgun and come back?

Spoiler

If you exit the level right after getting the blue key card (without getting distracted by the soulsphere), after finishing Underhalls - you would be back to the first version of the house and be able to get again the blue key card for the plasma.

On 4/11/2023 at 12:39 AM, Cellular Lamp said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Yeah, basically.

Keep in mind, to access the shortcut to the Brutalist house in the boiler room you need the blue skull key, not the blue key card. But picking up the blue skull key will also make all exits to the garden disappear, so you can't exit the level anymore to reach Underhalls. You have to take the path through the airport back to the empty house now to make the front door reappear again. You could also exit the map by going through the mirror world, since the mirror house doesn't lose its front doors when you pick up the blue skull key. But then you would exit into Sllahrednu instead (mirror Underhalls), which forces a pistolstart - you can't take any weapons into this version of Underhalls - so you lose your plasma gun. You can still collect the SSG there and bring it back with you but you would then exit back into the mirror version of the house, meaning you can't collect the blue key card anymore - so no plasma gun later on either.

So if you want to have both the SSG and the plasma gun from the start, you get the blue key card in the first house, then get the plasma gun in the Brutalist house by going through the boiler room shortcut via blue skull key (or the long way round through the bathhouse), jump out of the plane (if you go through the endless stairs, the front door will not have reappeared) and exit the map into Underhalls, where you pick up the SSG, and then back to the start of the map. Voilà!

Or you save yourself all that trouble and exit to Underhalls right after picking up the blue key card at the beginning, pick up the SSG (and megaarmor), come back, and collect the plasma gun later on the way when you head through the Brutalist house anyways.

Edited by Gregor

Spoiler

I think I'm supposed to enter one of the mirrors after picking up the rubber duck but none of them are working. What am I missing?

33 minutes ago, jimmee said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think I'm supposed to enter one of the mirrors after picking up the rubber duck but none of them are working. What am I missing?

Spoiler

If you have not gone into the mirror world you have to open the curtains in the attic to do so 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:24 PM, Gregor said:

Just out of curiosity, what archive are we talking about?

I have the release from the 25.02.23 (or 02/25/23 in American). The myhouse.pk3 in that dates back to December 3rd. So that would be the original release version.

yeah, I think that's it. The first update afaik was on the 26th of march so anything before that is what I'm looking for

On 3/6/2023 at 11:41 PM, Jimmy said:

Got a bit stuck in this. Decided I'd try noclipping...

Worst mistake of my life.

:D Yeah, same here. Awesome trip until that point. I love the fact that you can leave the level when you get all three keycards :) Still no idea what happened to me in the last 15 minutes...

Id really give this a shot but upon starting it with GZDoom 4.8.0 (dont know if relevant), it says:

Script error, "myhouse.pk3:decorate" line 16:
"INVISIBLEINMIRRORS" is an unknown flag

Script error, "myhouse.pk3:decorate" line 614:
"INVISIBLEINMIRRORS" is an unknown flag

Execution could not continue.

2 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

and thus cant run it, how do I fix it, do I just need a newer version of GZDoom?

5 minutes ago, Wallbreaker93 said:

how do I fix it, do I just need a newer version of GZDoom?

Yes. 4.8.0 will give that error, but later versions (even 4.8.1) won't. might as well update to the latest version (4.10.0) while you're at it.

as a rule of thumb, if you get an error on a gzdoom mod/map that other people aren't getting, it's probably because you need to update (or occasionally downgrade, if the mod is older)

How does one go about ripping assets from something like this? I'm considering making Pumpkin Rick a chat emote for my livestreams but I don't know how to get the texture

43 minutes ago, SoulfireFox said:

I don't know how to get the texture

pk3 is basically just a zip file in a fancy hat.  

fair warning though, you’re going to find spoilers in there.

51 minutes ago, SoulfireFox said:

How does one go about ripping assets from something like this? I'm considering making Pumpkin Rick a chat emote for my livestreams but I don't know how to get the texture

as mentioned, you can just extract the files with 7zip and look around, though you'll need to convert the image files to browse them comfortably (usually just adding ".png" as an extension works, but not always)

alternatively you can browse the .pk3 archive with slade, which will show you the image files without issue. pumpkin rick is "ATF6B0" under sprites, here it is zoomed in 10 times using nearest neighbour (to keep it pixelated);

Spoiler

ATF6B0_10x.png.4b5bbef2a6249246dfbef90be480270c.png

51 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

pk3 is basically just a zip file in a fancy hat.  

fair warning though, you’re going to find spoilers in there.

Got curious and started digging around. In the DECORATE file, I think there is an unused key, or at least one that I don't remember ever seeing or picking up. It has an image (ATF5C0) of a quarter. I'm guessing

Spoiler

it was a cut item and explains why the phone booth makes a sound when you activate it?

ACTOR Quarter : Key 21005
{
    Inventory.PickupMessage "I'd like to make a collect call..."
    Inventory.Icon ""
    Scale    0.4
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    ATF5 C -1
    Stop
  }
}

Spoiler

I just finished this wad earlier today and must say it is truly something. I just made an account here to say thanks to the author and all people who have been contributing to this nice discussion!

This is the best single wad I've ever played, and also my favorite horror game of 2023, doubt that it'll change.

I had only simple expectations for this map at the beginning, but slowly and surely it turned everything from slightly creepy to nightmare inducing to gut wrenchingly depressing. It had multiple qualities to it, and it brought out more than a singular emotion while playing.

And the ambient music that plays, it hit me really hard and made me feel things even when I was busy killing demons. Is it from somewhere or is it original and made for this wad? Has anyone got a name?

This is the right way to do horror content btw, by completely taking the user by surprise. The moment you know what you are in for, you have the edge. From the innocuous first look of the map, to the weird non-vanilla monsters that make a sudden appearance right at the perfect timing to throw you off all contribute to that. As it turns out having the guns didn't necessarily matter to make one feel safe.

This is a tremendous result to come back to after 15 years of break from mapmaking, so much so that it almost feels like boasting Kappa

And Tom was definitely a lucky person to have Veddge as a friend. 

I didn't have much time to think about while going through at first, but I wonder if someone have attempted to compile a comprehensive narrative / storyline from everything that we've got from the map? Seriously, slowly going through the timeline of someone who had seemingly unfortunate things happened to him was subtle but yet more emotionally harrowing than I've first expected going into this.

Edited by Erenussocrates

7 minutes ago, Erenussocrates said:

And the ambient music that plays, it hit me really hard and made me feel things even when I was busy killing demons. Is it from somewhere or is it original and made for this wad? Has anyone got a name?

It's composed by esselfortium. Glad to know you liked D_RUNNIN that much :)

22 minutes ago, Catpho said:

It's composed by esselfortium. Glad to know you liked D_RUNNIN that much :)

I really liked what I've heard starting from the brutalist area (I have no idea why people call it that btw), which I assume is a very heavy remix of the original track, we need it on youtube for sure lol

Edited by Erenussocrates

20 minutes ago, Erenussocrates said:

I really liked what I've heard starting from the brutalist area (I have no idea why people call it that btw),

It's a reference to the Brutalist-like architecture that is used throughout the house, with all its flat, exposed concrete walls and minimalist design.

20 hours ago, esselfortium said:

here you go

5:50 onwards makes me feel things, it's hauntingly beautiful and the buildup to that point is also worth it. It's great. It's the most depressing music I've heard this month. And being featured on this wad and the context behind it really adds a lot too. I couldn't help but cry while listening to it again now. It also kind of reminds me of that song named Electric Tears by Buckethead, I wonder if it was ever an influence at some point.

Edited by Erenussocrates

Spoiler

Btw, at first I thought there was just the "exit early" ending, and the house being sold ending, and the beach ending, but then I was reading some youtube comments yesterday and some people were mentioning QR codes and more endings and shit, whoa whoaaa, is there really something like that?

@Erenussocrates

Spoiler

The QR codes are well documented in this thread and the Doom wiki page, but you probably have to clarify what you mean by the YT comments saying "more endings"

7 hours ago, esselfortium said:

here you go

This has always been one of my favorite parts of this whole experience. This track is so hauntingly gorgeous. Is there a direct download link for it? 

On 4/11/2023 at 6:46 AM, comradesean said:

yeah, I think that's it. The first update afaik was on the 26th of march so anything before that is what I'm looking for

I'm actually not sure whether we are legally allowed to upload/distribute versions of this mod here or elsewhere. The .txt file says:

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors MAY NOT use the maps in this wad as a base for additional maps.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

DO NOT COPY AND REDISTRIBUTE THE MATERIAL IN ANY MEDIUM OR FORMAT!

I tried to delete this map but it continues to change and evolve without
any input from me. What began as a tribute to a lost friend has consumed
my entire life. As this map grew beyond what I created, I suffered
paranoia and insomnia. It consumed me. Don't let it consume you as well.
Delete it. Do not credit me. Do not try and contact me. Do not attempt to
use the material for commercial purposes. Do not remix, transform, or
build upon the material. Above all, do not distribute this file, modified
or otherwise. I tried to keep it from the internet, but it found its way
online. It's still changing. It wants you to feel sad. Alone. Desperate.
Don't let it win. Don't play it.

* Where to get the file that this text file describes *

don't

After the all-caps disclaimer, the text gets kinda weird and meta, so i'm not quite sure what to make of it in terms of its legality. The linked license specifically states that you are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

for any purpose, even commercially.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

But i still think the disclaimer could be valid and therefore forbid any uploads of the mod and older versions of it. Maybe somebody else can confirm or refute that?

Edited by Gregor