Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsda-dev

dsda-doom v0.25.6 [2023-01-15]

I have both versions of Ancient Aliens and dsda-doom loads MAP24 in both of them just fine. Eternity does fail to load version 1.1's MAP24, though. Support for compressed ZDoom nodes was added to PrBoom+/dsda-doom years ago so I'm not sure why you're getting that message now.

I should add that I'm running dsda-doom on Linux (Fedora 37) built from source at the v0.25.6 tag, in case it's some build dependency thing.

2 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

I have both versions of Ancient Aliens and dsda-doom loads MAP24 in both of them just fine. Eternity does fail to load version 1.1's MAP24, though. Support for compressed ZDoom nodes was added to PrBoom+/dsda-doom years ago so I'm not sure why you're getting that message now.

I should add that I'm running dsda-doom on Linux (Fedora 37) built from source at the v0.25.6 tag, in case it's some build dependency thing.

I just re-edited my previous message. I got hold of the old version of AA and then MAP24 loads up just fine. I'm running dsda on Windows 11, from binaries that were distributed earlier in this thread.

I also have no problem loading v1.1 on 0.25.6. I wonder why it's not working for you 🤔

I guess it doesn't matter if it's going to be changed anyway, but it's odd.

13 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

I just re-edited my previous message. I got hold of the old version of AA and then MAP24 loads up just fine. I'm running dsda on Windows 11, from binaries that were distributed earlier in this thread.

Which binaries specifically? The build linked at the start of the thread works for me. I wasn't able to get the Win32 build running at all on my computer, so I couldn't test that one. Whatever build you're using was probably missing zlib in the build process, as that's where the error message you saw comes from.

32 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Which binaries specifically? The build linked at the start of the thread works for me. I wasn't able to get the Win32 build running at all on my computer, so I couldn't test that one. Whatever build you're using was probably missing zlib in the build process, as that's where the error message you saw comes from.

It was this one: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2596279

Although I feel a bit silly now, why am I using 32-bit binaries? I'm guessing I just never saw the download link the OP, and not even on the GitHub page. D'oh!

EDIT: Aaaaand now that I used the version downloaded from OP, everything works on the newer version of the wad. Geez.

Edited by RHhe82

Well it seems I forgot to include zlib in the Win32 build. It is fixed:

Of course if you have a 64bit Windows there is no point in using the Win32 version.

https://github.com/RamonUnch/dsda-doom/releases/download/v0.25.4/DSDADoom-0.25.6-win32_fixed.7z

EDIT: bad link, here is the good one:

https://github.com/RamonUnch/dsda-doom/releases/download/v0.25.6/DSDADoom-0.25.6-win32_fixed.7z

I keep getting the following error when trying to run the latest version of DSDA-Doom on Arch:

dsda-doom: error while loading shared libraries: libportmidi.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Judging by the filename, the error has something to do with portmidi, but I already have that installed, so I don't know what the problem is.

EDIT: I just tested Crispy Doom and GZDoom and they still work. It's DSDA-Doom I'm having troubles with.

EDIT 2: I did a clean build of DSDA-Doom and that magically fixed my problem.

Edited by E.M.

Hello, I don't know if this is possible to do, but it would be pretty neat:

For the PWAD Chex Quest, would it be possible to get these things working in DSDA-Doom?:

* Monsters should not drop ammo
 * The game should end after the fifth level, instead of the eighth.
 * The episode selection screen should not be displayed.
 * The level warp cheat should always warp to episode 1.
 * The automap should show the level name for the episode 1 level,
   eg. the displayed level name for E2M3 is the level name for 
       E1M3.

* Lastly, to have the INTRO.SMK and END.SMK files play during the intro and the ending?

All of these, aside from the last, are from the dehacked patch for Chex Quest found here:

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chex_Quest

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Dinoaur said:

For the PWAD Chex Quest, would it be possible to get these things working in DSDA-Doom?:

* Monsters should not drop ammo
 * The game should end after the fifth level, instead of the eighth.
 * The episode selection screen should not be displayed.
 * The level warp cheat should always warp to episode 1.
 * The automap should show the level name for the episode 1 level

Chex Quest is an IWAD. If you load it with "-iwad chex" then it will have the proper behaviour. If you load it as a pwad, it acts as an asset and map replacement running in doom, so the behaviour won't change.

I'd like to report a bug in v0.25.6. Please take a look at this video:

EDIT: not a bug, as explained here: 

Spoiler

As you can see, for some reason, the moment I add the scroll texture action to the rising sector's linedefs, the weapon just doesn't appear. I tested this in Crispy Doom and GZDoom, and it works as intended in both of them.

Here's the sample map in case it's useful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vezfnx3oezh06gu/weapbug.wad?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fernito

The weapon appears for me, not sure why the weapon is not appearing for you. Would you mind posting your config? Also, are you unable to grab the weapon, or is it a purely visual thing?

13 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

The weapon appears for me, not sure why the weapon is not appearing for you. Would you mind posting your config?

Sure! Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtrg1ltkaonabxr/dsda-doom.cfg?dl=0

Also, are you unable to grab the weapon, or is it a purely visual thing?

I'm not only not able to pick up the weapon, but I'm also experiencing some weird behavior when trying to walk over those linedefs with the effect, as if they were blocking but in a non consistent way. It's very weird.

It seems to be due to the complevel you've set, which is complevel 5. That's "DOSDoom," which is not the same as vanilla Doom 1.9 (complevel 2). I don't know what it is about that complevel that produces those problems, but they don't occur on any of the commonly-used complevels (2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 21).

You're absolutely right, I have no idea why I set the comp level to that in first place. I put it back to Doom 1.9 and now everything works fine. Thanks a lot for the help, I edited the first post indicating that's not a bug.

Is anyone have problems with dsdaHUD+?

Whenever I tried to use it, it seems just not works for me neither I done something wrong...

P.S.: Nevermind. I just searched up for existing HUD and tweaked it a bit for my preferences.

r5Kh3YA.png

Attaching it here just in case. Put *.lmp file into autoload folder, I guess.

DSDAHUD.zip

Edited by RastaManGames

Hello, has -trace_givendamage parameter been completely abandoned or is it replaced with something else?

27 minutes ago, vdgg said:

Hello, has -trace_givendamage parameter been completely abandoned or is it replaced with something else?

https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom/blob/master/patch_notes/v0.25.md#tracker

I don't remember 100% what given damage traced, but you can track mobj health and player damage dealt. Maybe it's not cumulative though. If you tell me your use case I can probably add something, if something is missing.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, dsda-dev said:

Chex Quest is an IWAD. If you load it with "-iwad chex" then it will have the proper behaviour. If you load it as a pwad, it acts as an asset and map replacement running in doom, so the behaviour won't change.

Thank you, loading the WAD as an IWAD fixed everything. I always thought it was simply an addon to Doom, since enemy behaviour is so similar.

However, I still wonder if you could have the INTRO.SMK and END.SMK files play during the intro and the ending, since at least the intro tells the player what's going on.

I know it's really not that important, but it would be nice to have for this reason, as well as for authenticity's sake.

Been starting to replay Doom as of late, but with the latest version of dsda-doom I don't feel like I have performance as smooth with the OpenGL renderer as I used to have. With version 0.24.3, I'd set the game on full screen with exclusive mode on and performance with OpenGL used to be spotless. But now, framerate feels a bit uneven with these same settings, like the game would randomly stutter a bit without anything special that would account for that. Thankfully I still get good performance with the Software renderer, but I wonder why OpenGL performance suddenly went bad.

Any ideas as to what's happening?

9 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Been starting to replay Doom as of late, but with the latest version of dsda-doom I don't feel like I have performance as smooth with the OpenGL renderer as I used to have. With version 0.24.3, I'd set the game on full screen with exclusive mode on and performance with OpenGL used to be spotless. But now, framerate feels a bit uneven with these same settings, like the game would randomly stutter a bit without anything special that would account for that. Thankfully I still get good performance with the Software renderer, but I wonder why OpenGL performance suddenly went bad.

Any ideas as to what's happening?

Long story short nobody knows for sure https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/issues/524, except for maybe @Graf Zahl - I recall him mentioning somewhere that it was the legacy opengl code that's causing this issue, and that he was pretty certain about the source of the problem.

However I have managed to heavily reduce random stutters, so give the solution provided in the link a try (I know it looks ridiculous...).

21 hours ago, Dinoaur said:

I still wonder if you could have the INTRO.SMK and END.SMK files play during the intro and the ending

I don't currently plan to add support for that.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, dsda-dev said:

I don't currently plan to add support for that.

Understandable. It isn't really important, it's just something I thought would be nice.

Is there a FAQ or a guide for dummies that elaborates on what does every option in settings menu mean? I am unable to comprehend majority of them since I don't know anything about how Doom works.

19 hours ago, MrHellstorm17 said:

Is there a FAQ or a guide for dummies that elaborates on what does every option in settings menu mean? I am unable to comprehend majority of them since I don't know anything about how Doom works.

You can find an overview of the most relevant settings here, although some of the category headers might be incorrect, I don't remember if I updated it since v0.25.6 refactored the menu organization. I don't think there is a full breakdown of every setting, and there likely won't be until the port gets a more finalized settings menu organization, but someone else could feel free to write that up if they want to.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:17 AM, PKr said:

Long story short nobody knows for sure https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/issues/524, except for maybe @Graf Zahl - I recall him mentioning somewhere that it was the legacy opengl code that's causing this issue, and that he was pretty certain about the source of the problem.

However I have managed to heavily reduce random stutters, so give the solution provided in the link a try (I know it looks ridiculous...).

Super late to the party, but I have tried out what you suggested in that thread on GitHub. I actually ended up pinning performance just to see what would happen.

When I play with OpenGL mode and with either Indexed or Shaders light mode, the GPU use meter keeps rising and rising until it gets up to 100%, then it resets to a low number but every time this happens, I feel the stuttering happening. I took a picture of my (dirty) monitor just to show the CPU usage. For the record, this was taken during MAP03 of Doom 2 The Way Id Did in a very plain looking room.

I have zero clue as to how GPU usage works and all but I feel like DSDA Doom shouldn't be able to max out a Geforce 3070 Ti. I tried upgrading drivers but to no avail. 

oopsallgpu.jpg

On 4/12/2023 at 6:17 AM, PKr said:

Would this not work with borderless windowed mode instead? Enabling Xbox game bar causes other issues in other games. 

I wanted to try this port but it doesn't work with RocketLauncher. Filename is RocketLauncherPW_v1.1.zip

I haven't updated this launcher in ages because it does the work just fine. The error with this port is "-iwad takes only one argument".

Does the path to your IWAD contain any non-Latin characters? There have been some issues with those that I think have been fixed in the development version but not in a stable release yet.