Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, Shulbocka said:

This is off topic and I apologize, but if anyone here has the ability to convince Bethesda to add this to the official "add-ons" list, that would be absolutely amazing and appreciated. I've never been so proud of someone I don't even know.

this isnt actually possible because it's a GZDoom-specific map, the bethesda port is essentially an enhanced vanilla port

2 minutes ago, Shulbocka said:

convince Bethesda to add this to the official "add-ons" list

Can't be done.  The map depends on some features specific to GZDoom, and Bethesda's official release runs on a different source port developed by them designed to be closer to vanilla.  There's a reason the official add-ons are all limit-removing but otherwise fairly restricted. 

Does anyone know what the music is in the gas station?  It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

Dang, that sucks. That would've been so cool to see it reach other platforms and audiences. Of course Bethesda could create a source port that could run it, but we all know they won't.

2 minutes ago, Groplaw said:

Does anyone know what the music is in the gas station?  It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

Elevator music from Action Doom 2.

Spoiler

Considering how much the map's effect relies on you not knowing a single thing about it (maybe besides knowing that there is twist, but without knowing the extent of the twist), and with all this info about where these assets come from, I now wonder how much of the effect relies on you not recognizing the resources used? Obviously a lot of the audiance of today would know the Discord notification, Shrek, etc., but I didn't recognize the Hell Forge resources or the Action Doom music, so I just assumed they were custom made deeply personal nightmares of the author. Of course this doesn't diminish the effect. It's more like I'm fascinated by just how much repurposed stuff is in here, even stuff I didn't expect to be repurposed. Mark of a successful mod imo, espeacially the "remix" side of modding culture.

can someone point me in the right direction, i just re-downloaded GZ Doom, played through the level (knowing there SHOULD be a lot more according to the hype) but I killed all 27 monsters, got all the key cards....and nothing, even interacted with ALL the walls, WHERE DO I GO?! WHAT DO I DO?! I WANT THE MORE!

Just now, 2009XboxLiveKid said:

can someone point me in the right direction, i just re-downloaded GZ Doom, played through the level (knowing there SHOULD be a lot more according to the hype) but I killed all 27 monsters, got all the key cards....and nothing, even interacted with ALL the walls, WHERE DO I GO?! WHAT DO I DO?! I WANT THE MORE!

Take it easy. Download the pk3, take a walk around the backyard. Go get the soulsphere. Ease your mind.

Just now, Catpho said:

Take it easy. Download the pk3, take a walk around the backyard. Go get the soulsphere. Ease your mind.

Theres no soulsphere anywhere, am I not supposed to combine the Wad and PK3 into GZDoom????

3 minutes ago, 2009XboxLiveKid said:

Theres no soulsphere anywhere, am I not supposed to combine the Wad and PK3 into GZDoom????

Nah. The pk3 only is where the cool stuff is at.

5 minutes ago, Catpho said:

nvm, I think im on the right track :)

This map is quite unlike any experience I've ever had in the doom engine ever.

Spoiler

There's just something about this map that makes me cry, perhaps it's the crushing melancholic atmosphere, or the themes of loss and growing up, or esselfortium's masterpiece of a song. So many parts of this map I find to be so sad. There's the burned down house and the pickup messages of the items within it, or the worst ending where you step out of the house and it disappears and is replaced by a for sale sign. This map is not just spooky and creepy for the sake of it. There is a meaning and a story here and I love the hell out of that. This map is beautiful, creepy, sad and so much more. 10/10, can't play without crying.

18 hours ago, Edward850 said:

O.o

No. No they really can't. They can't just copy 20 years of engine iteration into a completely different code base, that's not even remotely how programming works. GZDoom might as well be a whole different engine at this point, relatively speaking, it cannot be casually reversed into the original Doom.

However... the base map could probably be reconfigured slightly to be true vanilla compatible... which would be absolutely wild to have a generic "myhouse" map as an official download.

That really makes me want to play a vanilla cut of myhouse that tries to retain as much of the experience as possible, and what that would look like.

1 hour ago, Groplaw said:

That really makes me want to play a vanilla cut of myhouse that tries to retain as much of the experience as possible, and what that would look like.

My House The Way Id Did 

Knee Deep In My House

Just now, ShallowB said:

My House The Way Id Did 

"My House The Way We Remember It".

A community project where Doomers showing off their cribs with allowing of custom textures.

10 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

However... the base map could probably be reconfigured slightly to be true vanilla compatible... which would be absolutely wild to have a generic "myhouse" map as an official download.

Great thinking

Spoiler

I see your plan lol. You want to convince Veddge to have it become part of Doom Unity. And then he would have to give interview to Slayer's Club and have to reveal his identity. Very clever Scuba.

OH shit... What have I done. Don't read, Veddge

I feel like a vanilla compatible take on this wad would feel pretty similar to Map27 in Doom 2. With only one music track available, a good way to establish the mood would be with something that's simultaneously cozy and unsettling, which happens to be an apt description of Waiting for Romero to Play. And with only one form of teleportation available, you'd still want to make the most of it by having it lead to seemingly identical areas that disorient the player. Also, I'm pretty sure I read something about Sandy basing the southeastern library in Map27 on a childhood nightmare.

On 4/23/2023 at 1:09 AM, null34286 said:

I snooped around a bit in Doom Builder:

Hide contents

I noticed that next to the FIREBLU skybox (sector 8178) that's used for the portal from infinite staircase back to the house, there's another similar smaller skybox sector (7834) that uses SP_FACE1 texture instead. Has anyone figured out if this is ever actually used and, if so, where?

Looked through this too with Slade. I can see the skybox you're talking about but was unable to find any references to that SP_FACE1 cylinder skybox. I can only imagine it's a secret which gets activated through gameplay or may just be dereferenced.