Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

24 minutes ago, houston said:

I guess you're using some kind of launcher instead of GZDoom itself? Is there an area dedicated to WADs/maps inside the window? If not, try putting "-file (mapname).pk3" in the parameters box instead I suppose, if you only had the filename earlier.

On Mac GZDoom comes with a built-in launcher, all I did was find the path to the pk3 in my downloads and put it there. 2nd pic is what's happening after I run it, literally just all black screen.

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 7.22.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 7.23.06 AM.png

This is pretty neat, this is an exciting use of UDMF wizardry, I'd imagine Graf will be upset with this...

Edited by Keykhosrau : grammar

I wonder, does the house actually exist? I went on a bit of an adventure on Google Maps to find the house in one of the towns mentioned in the Obituaries (Plano, Oswego).

In order to narrow my search a bit, I decided to use "231" as the assumed address number since those numbers were the only ones highlighted in the journal. 

To kinda no surprise, there were a handful of addresses in both places that used the 231 address number, and none of them looked anything like the house in the map, drawing, or picture. 

However, There were occurrences that made me think of certain parts of the wad, But a lot of them were probably just Coincidences, idk.

Edited by Rockman : Likely violated privacy.

The house definitely exists because there are pictures of it.  Of course there's no way to know if the pictures of the outside of the house and the pictures of the inside of the house are the same place, and it seems unlikely it's actually in Plano. 

Also it's probably not a good idea to try to track it down.  This isn't an ARG, there's nothing to be found there; at best you're going to confuse some clueless homeowner, and at worst you're going to dox a community member. 

51 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

Also it's probably not a good idea to try to track it down.  This isn't an ARG, there's nothing to be found there; at best you're going to confuse some clueless homeowner, and at worst you're going to dox a community member. 

Oh darn, I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead and re-edit for the sake of someone's safety and privacy.

The wad sure is hell felt like an ARG though. It was a rabbit hole of twists and turns that I never thought I'd experience. There's a decent amount of images and a journal. I didn't even think a Doom map would have any of that to begin with before I started playing.

Holy shit. I made a Doomworld account just to show my appreciation for this. Amazing work.

Edited by Endruv

Reached the beach.

I didn't expect to choke up.

Growing up together during those years must have been the hardest shit ever.

that was fucking beautiful

3 hours ago, Rockman said:

Oh darn, I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead and re-edit for the sake of someone's safety and privacy.

The wad sure is hell felt like an ARG though. It was a rabbit hole of twists and turns that I never thought I'd experience. There's a decent amount of images and a journal. I didn't even think a Doom map would have any of that to begin with before I started playing.

it's more like a creepypasta than an ARG; the journal and stuff adds to the lore of the map itself, but it's not really meant to reflect any real world exploration.  I understand the obituaries and stuff might have one thinking otherwise, but the only thing the author has told us since the project's release (via a messenger, not directly) is that wasn't their intention and they don't want anyone doing anything risky or creepy as a result

1 hour ago, Mr.Unsmiley said:

it's more like a creepypasta than an ARG; the journal and stuff adds to the lore of the map itself, but it's not really meant to reflect any real world exploration.  I understand the obituaries and stuff might have one thinking otherwise, but the only thing the author has told us since the project's release (via a messenger, not directly) is that wasn't their intention and they don't want anyone doing anything risky or creepy as a result

I understand that completely, The reason I talked about this is because I wanted to know whether the house was real or not, And if I could find it on Google maps as a result.

Then again, I've decided to stop after being told that it would be a bad idea to do so.

I swear though, if a wad managed to fool someone like myself into thinking that some of that info was real, That's what you call pure immersion. I hope this gets a caco award.

Edited by Rockman : Quick grammar fix and a little context

heh, seems like this wad might start to get mainstream attention, considering how much traction @PowerPak's vid seems to be getting. while some of this mod's horror is naturally gonna be more effective if you're a veteran doom player, it's still great to see so many outside the modding scene getting to experience how fantastic it is :)

please don't let it go the way of the backrooms please please please

On 5/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, JustANormie said:

After seeing Power Pak play this for a few minutes, I decided that I didn't want to spoil myself further and fully immerse myself into this map, but the problem is that I can't run it whatsoever

I'm on mac too (M1, not intel) and had the exact same thought, that I wanted to experience this on my own.
I think It's relevant to mention that I am a complete beginner. I downloaded GZDoom specifically for this mod and have never touched it before.

Whenever I open the .pk3, I get this error: "R_InstallSprite: Sprite CPOS frame A is missing rotations"

I tired another .pk3 and a .wad. Both worked fine, so I'm pretty sure the program is working as intended. It seems to me some setting on my PC is just disagreeing with MyHouse.pk3.
I am using the newest version of GZDoom (v4.10.0). I even tried a couple devbuilds to make sure the problem was all on my end.
I see others talking about pop-up windows or menus or whatever, but when I open GZDoom (just the program on it's own, without any mods) I get sent straight to the main menu. Is this normal?

Not even restarting my PC worked!
Sorry if I'm wasting time, but I don't know enough about any of this to know what to search for to fix it on my own. I've tried googling the error, but I found no fixes.

CPOS are the frames for the chaingunner... It sounds like you're trying to run it with Ultimate Doom instead of Doom 2. Or maybe there's another wad being run with it?

Might get blasted for this take on the narrative, but had to comment after watching Power Pak's video.

I haven't poured over the mod or journal, I just  watched the video now so I can 100% be wrong.

---Endgame Spoilers below.---

Spoiler

I think this is a coming-out story about two High School crushes (Steven and Thomas a.k.a. "A").

They didn't literally "die" on the same day, but I think married or reconnected on the same day ("joint celebration at a Church").

They "fought for their happiness", reconnecting with each other perhaps after a life of loneliness, repression, and even trauma/abuse (i.e. trapped inside a maze of their own mind, an ever shifting maze made of memories and identities. A house, even). 

"Dying" likely refers to letting their old identities "die", and could also be a nod to parents disowning their children, as in, "You're dead to me".

This might help explain the father's death on the day prior to the "celebration".

I could elaborate at some length, but if this interpretation has any traction I'm sure super-sleuths will unearth every modicum, so not sure it's needed/wanted by the community here.

Edited by cyntrolliam : Typo + clarity + spoiler emphasis

You are exactly right. More or less the second after I posted, I found out that I hadn't put the DOOM2.wad in the right spot (I put it directly in the Library-folder, not Application Support. In my defense, the official instructions are worded a bit weird). It now works perfectly!

1 hour ago, cyntrolliam said:

Might get blasted for this take on the narrative, but had to comment after watching Power Pak's video.

I haven't poured over the mod or journal, I just  watched the video now so I can 100% be wrong.

---Endgame Spoilers below.---

Reveal hidden contents

I think this is a coming-out story about two High School crushes (Steven and Thomas a.k.a. "A").

They didn't literally "die" on the same day, but I think married or reconnected on the same day ("joint celebration at a Church").

They "fought for their happiness", reconnecting with each other perhaps after a life of loneliness, repression, and even trauma/abuse (i.e. trapped inside a maze of their own mind, an ever shifting maze made of memories and identities. A house, even). 

"Dying" likely refers to letting their old identities "die", and could also be a nod to parents disowning their children, as in, "You're dead to me".

This might help explain the father's death on the day prior to the "celebration".

I could elaborate at some length, but if this interpretation has any traction I'm sure super-sleuths will unearth every modicum, so not sure it's needed/wanted by the community here.

welcome to the Doom community :) no need to worry about getting blasted, this wad is very open to interpretation and you're not the first person to highlight potential LGBT themes.  speculation and discussion is welcome here and all part of the experience of this unique little project

if I got a dollar for every time a piece of horror turned into a gay love story, I'd have 1$ ( my theory on this story )

1 hour ago, Mr.Unsmiley said:

welcome to the Doom community :) no need to worry about getting blasted, this wad is very open to interpretation and you're not the first person to highlight potential LGBT themes.  speculation and discussion is welcome here and all part of the experience of this unique little project

Cool cool, good to hear. Well in that case I'll use this reply to briefly sum up my opinion on this gem and leave it at this:

Spoiler

The way this project seems to couch - no - bury narrative inside of an ever-shifting labyrinth is a really genius expression for the mental claustrophobia of repression, the fleeting shape-shifting nature of dreams and memories, and fighting your way forward with guns literally blazing to outgrow arrested development.

I've never played classic Doom, but in my eyes this is an inspiring technical and narrative feat that doesn't need introductions.

Bravo to the author(s).

Made an account to comment here after watching Pak's video

Spoiler

I played through the first ending before watching any of Pak's video, I wish I had the patience to try through all of this map.

I had goosebumps nearly permanently after the first door change, genuinely the most unsettling media I've experienced in a long while.

I hope the author(s), or at least the programmers, comment on how they made the non-euclidean space work in the doom engine. 

1 hour ago, PostRockPiano said:

I hope the author(s), or at least the programmers, comment on how they made the non-euclidean space work in the doom engine.

Not the original author, but an excellent technical breakdown of how the map works:

1 hour ago, PostRockPiano said:

Made an account to comment here after watching Pak's video

Reveal hidden contents

I played through the first ending before watching any of Pak's video, I wish I had the patience to try through all of this map.

I had goosebumps nearly permanently after the first door change, genuinely the most unsettling media I've experienced in a long while.

if you understand how gzdoom works, then looking at the pk3's internals can show how it works. doom can't do true non-euclidean spaces (obviously, lol), so it involves a lot of trickery, both technical and psychological. if anything, it makes it even more impressive knowing how it all works. whoever made this has some incredible skill :p

i second kroc's recommendation to watch davidn's three videos on it - it's pretty nuts.

Edited by roadworx

Not sure why this hasn't been posted here yet (Besides AL1 showing his shotout :)) but here y'all are.
All from @PowerPak!
 I think there should been a bit more clarifaction about ZDoom tricky, like the illusion of room over room with the basement, but very good and well put-together video!

The ending of the documentary reminds me, still trying not figure out how much of the story is "real" or "fake". I've seen some discussion on this, but I'll have to read through the thread a bit more.
I'll keep pointing this out, but MyHouse is very much a Doom Creepypasta. The good kind, like NES Godzilla or Bed Drowned. Maybe a bit of ARG in there with all the mystery and whatnot.

On 4/19/2023 at 4:43 PM, ShallowB said:

I don't think Essel would make this map, pretend she didn't, not credit her own music, and then show up in the thread unprompted to announce she was involved in making the music for this map.  Why go through the work of obscuring your involvement only to then make it public almost immediately?

Personally, I don't think the real identity behind Veddge is all that important.  The idea that it was Steven Nelson who made it is part of the map's identity and a part of the experience of playing it.

Nothing wrong with having theories, but I don't think puzzling it out is in the spirit of the rest of MyHouse.

Personally, the biggest reason I wanted to know who really made this incredible piece of unfiction is so I can follow whatever else they decide to make in the future and check out their past work.

Edited by wertercatt : terminology

1 hour ago, AudibleAud said:

The house of leaves reference (I assume) in the journal feels very fitting here

yeah this wad is very inspired by house of leaves.  the hidden labyrinth that has a random chance of showing up in the closet and the realtor from one of the endings are both direct references as well.  the character of Thomas is possibly also a reference

Hey uh, I can't play this wad for whatever reason. I've dragged and dropped the correct files onto the EXE for the most recent version of GZDoom, but I can't open the doors in the house, leaving me stuck outside and unable to progress.

Edit: Wait, I'm stupid, I didn't use the right buttons to open em, nvm.

Edit 2: Nevermind AGAIN. It actually is broken. The triggers for activating the maps teleports just doesn't work, and the doors use the default doom animations instead of the swinging animations they're supposed to exhibit.

Edited by Youhadabadday