Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vostyok

Ashes 2063 - GZDOOM Total Conversion

Happy to see you back Vostyok & team! As usual we are elated to see more progress being done on this amazing TC :D I cannot wait for the new expansion

Always looking forward to more of this TC! The existing episodes are some of the best gaming the Doom engine has to offer.

I still can't believe this is all for free (as with a lot of things in the community). Thank you Vostyok & Co.! 

The 2 episodes out already are some of my favourite gaming experiences in the last decade, not only in a Doom engine, but in general.

I really can't wait for more!

Will the expansion also feature a hub world, or is it more of a linear experience?

Awesome news :) is that crossbow stealth weapon that do not alert enemies or it is some kind of powerful gun that shoot arrows with explosives?

Hey Vostyok, glad to see you here! I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about Ashes on Doomworld until now. If you have some time, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on RagnarRox's recent video on Ashes:

More specifically:

- How do you feel about a big name in video game analysis featuring your project?

- Is there anything he missed that you would have liked to see?

- Was he fair in his commentary?

Thank you for your time.

YEEEEEES~! Oh i am so excited for more Ashes~! I am not normally big on TC's, but the combination of worldbuilding, simply fantastic design and gameplay implementation, the sheer level of polish, and that banger soundtrack won me over. Easily my favorite TC~! I mean this, wholeheartedly when I say this: I would have happily bought this if it were a commercial release, it is that good.

Eagerly awaiting the new expansion and final episode~!

wow a lot of replies!

Okay... deep breath lol

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Happy to see you back Vostyok & team! As usual we are elated to see more progress being done on this amazing TC :D I cannot wait for the new expansion

17 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Always looking forward to more of this TC! The existing episodes are some of the best gaming the Doom engine has to offer.

Not Jabba and Dynamo, thank you for the comments and the warm reception to previous entries. It was most appreciated.

10 hours ago, Catpho said:

I still can't believe this is all for free (as with a lot of things in the community). Thank you Vostyok & Co.! 

8 hours ago, omegamer said:

The 2 episodes out already are some of my favourite gaming experiences in the last decade, not only in a Doom engine, but in general.

I really can't wait for more!

Will the expansion also feature a hub world, or is it more of a linear experience?

It is indeed free for now. Considering how much help we had and how many people contributed in the past, we weren't happy about asking for money for this. That might change one day but even then (and a big IF) it would strictly be on a voluntary basis most likely.

The expansion will be a mostly linear experience but much like Episode 1 there may be an alternate route to the end you will get the option to take.

6 hours ago, Gzegzolka said:

Awesome news :) is that crossbow stealth weapon that do not alert enemies or it is some kind of powerful gun that shoot arrows with explosives?

The boltcaster weapon can do both >:D      Wait and see.

3 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey Vostyok, glad to see you here! I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about Ashes on Doomworld until now. If you have some time, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on RagnarRox's recent video on Ashes:

- How do you feel about a big name in video game analysis featuring your project?

- Is there anything he missed that you would have liked to see?

- Was he fair in his commentary?

Thank you for your time.

We've had people mention us before (alphabetagamer and DarthVR most recently) but I particularly liked this review for a number of reasons.

We never really expected this project to blow up as much as it did. The cacoward in 2021 was a huge surprise, as was the moddb finalist entry for their top 10 mods of that year. Getting more attention though was a little worrying as it did make us much more aware of all the little issues here and there that pop up occasionally. We still push out updates from time to time so hopefully that will make me at least feel better about all the attention.

I really liked that RagnarRox managed to get a good selection of different scenes from all our content without spoiling too much. I've tried to make sure that every map has at least one big surprise for people to find, and I get worried that those moments will be spoiled for those who watch the videos first. Thankfully the video was very careful about that.

Overall his commentary was more than fair. I've always said that 1 comment with some harsh but useful criticism would be infinitely more useful to me than 10 comments that are just praise. It was also really nice to see the editor get into the video which was nice to hear about their method of working.

Yeah, really liked it. We've already shared it in our discord when it popped up on our radar and everyone thought it was a good review. :D

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

It is criminal that this is still merely a TC.

@Vostyok any chance to turn this into a IWAD/IPK3? What is still needed?

2 minutes ago, HiMyNameIsChair said:

YEEEEEES~! Oh i am so excited for more Ashes~! I am not normally big on TC's, but the combination of worldbuilding, simply fantastic design and gameplay implementation, the sheer level of polish, and that banger soundtrack won me over. Easily my favorite TC~! I mean this, wholeheartedly when I say this: I would have happily bought this if it were a commercial release, it is that good.

Eagerly awaiting the new expansion and final episode~!

Nash Muhandes has already made a plug and play iwad replacement pack for anyone wanting to make their projects standalone so it won't be difficult at all. Hoping to make the expansion more a standalone episode more than a map pack, something like CLEAR SKY for STALKER. As for the others, I still need to get in there and scrub out all the remaining commercial assets. We managed to replace a LOT of art during the transition from Episode 1 to Afterglow but you'll probably particularly notice the parts where Redneck Rampage and such snuck in. lol.

Final episode btw DOES have a working prototype but that is a ways off I'm afraid, as I am splitting my time (and myself ;) ) between that and some work for the Hedon game on Steam. But I'll keep everyone updated as much as I can.

Anyway, just a quick WIP of the new portraits system. I need to get back to work. Busy busy....   <3

image-15.png

1 hour ago, Vostyok said:

wow a lot of replies!

Okay... deep breath lol

Hide contents

We've had people mention us before (alphabetagamer and DarthVR most recently) but I particularly liked this review for a number of reasons.

We never really expected this project to blow up as much as it did. The cacoward in 2021 was a huge surprise, as was the moddb finalist entry for their top 10 mods of that year. Getting more attention though was a little worrying as it did make us much more aware of all the little issues here and there that pop up occasionally. We still push out updates from time to time so hopefully that will make me at least feel better about all the attention.

I really liked that RagnarRox managed to get a good selection of different scenes from all our content without spoiling too much. I've tried to make sure that every map has at least one big surprise for people to find, and I get worried that those moments will be spoiled for those who watch the videos first. Thankfully the video was very careful about that.

Overall his commentary was more than fair. I've always said that 1 comment with some harsh but useful criticism would be infinitely more useful to me than 10 comments that are just praise. It was also really nice to see the editor get into the video which was nice to hear about their method of working.

Yeah, really liked it. We've already shared it in our discord when it popped up on our radar and everyone thought it was a good review. :D

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm really interested in development and community stuff, so that was very useful. I totally understand how increased attention can be a double-edged sword, in the sense that on the one hand it is flattering and encouraging; but on the other it makes development teams much more self-critical and possibly anxious about what they're doing. However, I much prefer this situation of grassroots-driven projects with a lot of passion put into them, than having triple-A companies ripping people $70 for an unfinished, subpar product. I just finished watching Charlatan Wonder's review of Redfall as a case study of that. 

Best of luck with your work and hope to see more of it!

The last time I heard something about Ashes was the Demo released... And know there's a Expasion planned, how fast the time passes.

Anyway, looking foward into this, will download and see the full game for first time :P

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

It is criminal that this is still merely a TC.

@Vostyok any chance to turn this into a IWAD/IPK3? What is still needed?

Can't you already run this as a standalone IWAD? Last I tried this, it worked pretty well.

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Can't you already run this as a standalone IWAD? Last I tried this, it worked pretty well.

Still relies on Freedoom. Its standalone, but it is not standalone if you know what i mean.

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Still relies on Freedoom. 

Ah, so it's more like standalone with crutches.

Though, I wager that's good enough, or there is greater benefit in making it a true IWAD?

Nice to see you in Doomworld man
I really liked ashes series and I'm really excited for the expansion,

Question about the expansion,
is it a canon to ashes story ?
I think it is canon from that jack miller screen
I just want to make sure.

39 minutes ago, iDoT said:

Ignore this I made a mistake. Delete this. 🤣

__-- Kal

39 minutes ago, iDoT said:

Edited by kalensar

3 hours ago, iDoT said:

Nice to see you in Doomworld man
I really liked ashes series and I'm really excited for the expansion,

Question about the expansion,
is it a canon to ashes story ?
I think it is canon from that jack miller screen
I just want to make sure.

Yep! The designer isn't myself this time but I've had a lot of oversight regards the story. We've actually left a few hints in Afterglow as to what the story will be, but the ending might be a little surprising.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'll be updating this thread in a week or so with some looks at the new maps and possibly some new enemies.

28 minutes ago, CaptainMuskrat said:

Any chance the Ashes series will be converted to MBF21?. I'd love to try this on Nugget Doom!.

Ho-

How would that even work?

I mean, maybe someone can make a demake of it, just like Knee-deep in Knee-deep in ZDoom (KdiKdiZD) but converting it to MBF21 completely would be almost impossible, it requires ZScript for most of the levels, weapons and enemy behavior.

2 minutes ago, Karnasis said:

Ho-

I mean, maybe someone can make a demake of it, just like Knee-deep in Knee-deep in ZDoom (KdiKdiZD) but converting it to MBF21 completely would be almost impossible, it requires ZScript for most of the levels, weapons and enemy behavior.

If you put it that way, it might be harder than I thought. I've only played through Ashes 2063 at this time, but from what I remember playing a few months back it doesn't seem all that complex. I ask this because I had a good time with that game and would like to experience the rest of the saga without having to use GZDoom. Perhaps the author could consider a mini-wad of sorts, made using the MBF21 format as a test?.

9 minutes ago, CaptainMuskrat said:

Perhaps the author could consider a mini-wad of sorts, made using the MBF21 format as a test?.

The problem with that is it would take a long time, we're not talking about just throwing the maps they made into a MBF21 format and calling it a day, they would have to remake all of the levels, re-code all of the enemies and weapons, not mentioning other mechanics such as the lantern and radioactive detector which I not even sure is possible in MBF21, and also work on the other episodes aswell. You might say they would be making an entire new total conversion mod just for MBF21.

And that is just for the Enriched episode, Afterglow is completely different, having a open-world style map and a complex dialogue system where you talk to NPCs, they would have to change the way the entire game is structured just for it to work.

They are already having a hard time making the upcoming episode, they don't need to worry about making an entire different version of the total conversion just for other formats.

3 hours ago, CaptainMuskrat said:

I ask this because I had a good time with that game and would like to experience the rest of the saga without having to use GZDoom. Perhaps the author could consider a mini-wad of sorts, made using the MBF21 format as a test?.

I'm afraid your stuck with GZDoom for this one.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

While we're at it, someone should convert Elden Ring to vanilla Doom.

That's a mighty extreme example though. :) I would say it's not that crazy to wonder whether Ashes 2063 Episode 1 could be translated to MBF21 with some cutbacks. Most of it probably could. Episode 2 would of course be impossible. But something like Elden Ring wouldn't work in anything Doom-related, not GZDoom, not Quake, not even id Tech 4. It's like comparing the difference between an NES and Sega Genesis, to the difference between an Atari 2600 and a PS5.

Edited by Gregor

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

Give it the Bloodborne PSX treatment, I'd play that.

5 hours ago, CaptainMuskrat said:

Any chance the Ashes series will be converted to MBF21?. I'd love to try this on Nugget Doom!.

4 hours ago, Karnasis said:

Ho-

4 hours ago, CaptainMuskrat said:

If you put it that way, it might be harder than I thought. I've only played through Ashes 2063 at this time, but from what I remember playing a few months back it doesn't seem all that complex. I ask this because I had a good time with that game and would like to experience the rest of the saga without having to use GZDoom. Perhaps the author could consider a mini-wad of sorts, made using the MBF21 format as a test?.

Sadly everything was engineered for Zdoom (GZdoom specifically, but Ashes does mostly support LZDoom). CaptainMuskrat is right in saying that episode1 isn't very complex by itself, as the maps were built originally in HexenFormat and the weapons only used basic Decorate. However, since Afterglow we moved to Gzdoom's features such as portals, advanced ACS, and Zscript for some of the more complex moments.

Sadly I  have zero experience with MBF21 and haven't yet seen anything on that port that showcases anything as complex, as it seems to focus on an enhanced-vanilla experience. But let me know if you see anything that could be similar.

As an aside, I have been mulling over the idea of making something one day for Zandronum, which still uses a lot of the more legacy features, as well as a more robust multiplayer. Could be interesting to have a coop campaign in the setting. Left4Dead but less linear wave challenges and more sticking your hand in toilet bowls for supplies.

Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned this here, but it's something I've made my policy with my stuff:

I am happy that anyone uses my assets to make their own non-commercial projects without asking permission. Just credit us somewhere and make something cool.

So if someone does want to make something in that port, be my guest. :3

2 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I know of at least two projects that are attempting this very endeavor. So keep your ear to the ground, lol. Reminds me of the time someone asked me to just port everything to the Doom Eternal engine, as it looked better. XD

1 hour ago, Vostyok said:

Sadly everything was engineered for Zdoom (GZdoom specifically, but Ashes does mostly support LZDoom). CaptainMuskrat is right in saying that episode1 isn't very complex by itself, as the maps were built originally in HexenFormat and the weapons only used basic Decorate. However, since Afterglow we moved to Gzdoom's features such as portals, advanced ACS, and Zscript for some of the more complex moments.

Sadly I  have zero experience with MBF21 and haven't yet seen anything on that port that showcases anything as complex, as it seems to focus on an enhanced-vanilla experience. But let me know if you see anything that could be similar.

As an aside, I have been mulling over the idea of making something one day for Zandronum, which still uses a lot of the more legacy features, as well as a more robust multiplayer. Could be interesting to have a coop campaign in the setting. Left4Dead but less linear wave challenges and more sticking your hand in toilet bowls for supplies.

Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned this here, but it's something I've made my policy with my stuff:

I am happy that anyone uses my assets to make their own non-commercial projects without asking permission. Just credit us somewhere and make something cool.

So if someone does want to make something in that port, be my guest. :3

I know of at least two projects that are attempting this very endeavor. So keep your ear to the ground, lol. Reminds me of the time someone asked me to just port everything to the Doom Eternal engine, as it looked better. XD

I have played Ad Mortem and Urban Crusade. The former is very impressive looking, complete with custom weapons and animations. In fact it's why Ashes came to my mind.

Junction is a small settlement built into the hills northwest of Atlanta. Before the collapse it hosted a modest rest stop and quiet community, supporting an automobile factory, school, small hotel resort and the county prison.

Now, Junction is a cesspool. It occupies a strategic location between The City and the trade routes to New Nashville and Chicago. Caravans stop here to rest or recuperate, mostly because they have no choice, and Junction profits from the regular trade.

Modern attractions hosted here are a brothel, bar, motel and trade post - none of which are particularly safe or recommended...

Junction.png