Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vostyok

Ashes 2063 - GZDOOM Total Conversion

On 7/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, Gzegzolka said:

That is interesting place to explore. Will it be in episode 3 or in update for afterglow?

An upcoming standalone expansion. So... kinda both?

Some of the improvements I've made here will be backported to the original episodes. But this isn't episode 3. I am NOWHERE near ready to show that beast off yet.

In the meantime:

This is a new "feature" coming into the expansion that I am trialing. One of many.

Portraits for main characters. As well as limited voice acting and multi-language support. If people like it, I'll think about polishing it up some more and using it in all future episodes.

Rigs.png

On 7/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, Vostyok said:

This is a new "feature" coming into the expansion that I am trialing. One of many.

Portraits for main characters. As well as limited voice acting and multi-language support. If people like it, I'll think about polishing it up some more and using it in all future episodes.

Rigs.png

Looks really cool. How much text chat will be in future Ashes? The one thing that drained me in Afterglow was the amount of reading I had to do. Talking to a character now and again is fine and cutscenes are always fun, but running around reading novels of text gets a bit dull after a while. In Doom, I rather have more fun gameplay shooty shooty not so much standing around reading.

Really proud of what you guys have achieved, and I can't wait for the upcoming expansion with all the QoL additions!

Keep on scavvin'

On 7/31/2023 at 10:12 PM, Rex705 said:

Looks really cool. How much text chat will be in future Ashes? The one thing that drained me in Afterglow was the amount of reading I had to do. Talking to a character now and again is fine and cutscenes are always fun, but running around reading novels of text gets a bit dull after a while. In Doom, I rather have more fun gameplay shooty shooty not so much standing around reading.

I'm personally aiming at reducing it heavily. It doesn't vibe with a lot of people and this honestly isn't the best medium for it.
My plan is to have dialogues focus on crucial information that can be digested quickly, so very short text segments. There will options afterwards to follow optional dialogue that establishes world building and hints, but the important (quest related) stuff will be quicker and more obvious.

I'm also aiming to add voice acting to relevant sections, so those who don't like or have trouble with lots of text can just listen along to the pertinent points. Also thinking of adding optional notes/newspaper pages/diary entries for more in-depth story-telling.

There will be some dialogue still, of course, as it is part of our formula. It just won't be as mandatory.

20 hours ago, Vostyok said:

I'm personally aiming at reducing it heavily. It doesn't vibe with a lot of people and this honestly isn't the best medium for it.
My plan is to have dialogues focus on crucial information that can be digested quickly, so very short text segments. There will options afterwards to follow optional dialogue that establishes world building and hints, but the important (quest related) stuff will be quicker and more obvious.

I'm also aiming to add voice acting to relevant sections, so those who don't like or have trouble with lots of text can just listen along to the pertinent points. Also thinking of adding optional notes/newspaper pages/diary entries for more in-depth story-telling.

There will be some dialogue still, of course, as it is part of our formula. It just won't be as mandatory.

will there ever be a weapon inventory system? Tryna make that in my own WAD, but I'd be much more ecstatic collecting and upgrading my own selection of weapons in Ashes. Kinda like how Fallout has weapon specific builds. Would that ever happen in Ashes? I mean I doubt it's impossible, ya'll have made my jaw drop with the Dome, dialogue, a vehicle, a money system, upgradeable weapons, etc. Or does it depend on just the size of the game?

On 7/5/2023 at 11:38 AM, Vostyok said:

wow a lot of replies!

Okay... deep breath lol

Reveal hidden contents

Not Jabba and Dynamo, thank you for the comments and the warm reception to previous entries. It was most appreciated.

It is indeed free for now. Considering how much help we had and how many people contributed in the past, we weren't happy about asking for money for this. That might change one day but even then (and a big IF) it would strictly be on a voluntary basis most likely.

The expansion will be a mostly linear experience but much like Episode 1 there may be an alternate route to the end you will get the option to take.

The boltcaster weapon can do both >:D      Wait and see.

We've had people mention us before (alphabetagamer and DarthVR most recently) but I particularly liked this review for a number of reasons.

We never really expected this project to blow up as much as it did. The cacoward in 2021 was a huge surprise, as was the moddb finalist entry for their top 10 mods of that year. Getting more attention though was a little worrying as it did make us much more aware of all the little issues here and there that pop up occasionally. We still push out updates from time to time so hopefully that will make me at least feel better about all the attention.

I really liked that RagnarRox managed to get a good selection of different scenes from all our content without spoiling too much. I've tried to make sure that every map has at least one big surprise for people to find, and I get worried that those moments will be spoiled for those who watch the videos first. Thankfully the video was very careful about that.

Overall his commentary was more than fair. I've always said that 1 comment with some harsh but useful criticism would be infinitely more useful to me than 10 comments that are just praise. It was also really nice to see the editor get into the video which was nice to hear about their method of working.

Yeah, really liked it. We've already shared it in our discord when it popped up on our radar and everyone thought it was a good review. :D

Nash Muhandes has already made a plug and play iwad replacement pack for anyone wanting to make their projects standalone so it won't be difficult at all. Hoping to make the expansion more a standalone episode more than a map pack, something like CLEAR SKY for STALKER. As for the others, I still need to get in there and scrub out all the remaining commercial assets. We managed to replace a LOT of art during the transition from Episode 1 to Afterglow but you'll probably particularly notice the parts where Redneck Rampage and such snuck in. lol.

Final episode btw DOES have a working prototype but that is a ways off I'm afraid, as I am splitting my time (and myself ;) ) between that and some work for the Hedon game on Steam. But I'll keep everyone updated as much as I can.

Anyway, just a quick WIP of the new portraits system. I need to get back to work. Busy busy....   <3

image-15.png

Dawg if u need more hands for artwork I gotchu.

Personally I do not mind amount of text You have in dialogues, it is right amount. Enough to quick grab some quests and enough if You are looking for more information/story.

For example You have those standard roaming NPCs and town guards/bandits with need just few short one liners so player know they have nothing interesting to say.

You also have important characters, I think it is good way to gain quest by start talking, asking about different things and than getting missions from those characters. Eventually You can talk to them after completing Your task to learn more.

And there is Larry, those who meet him in Afterglow will understood, he is a good example how You can play with conversation by careful asking and picking your answers. If You pick wrong You won't lock Your game progress, if You pick right You might get something or at least have interesting conversation. 

1 hour ago, Gzegzolka said:

Personally I do not mind amount of text You have in dialogues, it is right amount. Enough to quick grab some quests and enough if You are looking for more information/story.

For example You have those standard roaming NPCs and town guards/bandits with need just few short one liners so player know they have nothing interesting to say.

You also have important characters, I think it is good way to gain quest by start talking, asking about different things and than getting missions from those characters. Eventually You can talk to them after completing Your task to learn more.

And there is Larry, those who meet him in Afterglow will understood, he is a good example how You can play with conversation by careful asking and picking your answers. If You pick wrong You won't lock Your game progress, if You pick right You might get something or at least have interesting conversation. 

I'd also like to add, maybe some dialogue for some of the story as well. 

On 8/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, CannibalKane said:

will there ever be a weapon inventory system? Tryna make that in my own WAD, but I'd be much more ecstatic collecting and upgrading my own selection of weapons in Ashes. Kinda like how Fallout has weapon specific builds. Would that ever happen in Ashes? I mean I doubt it's impossible, ya'll have made my jaw drop with the Dome, dialogue, a vehicle, a money system, upgradeable weapons, etc. Or does it depend on just the size of the game?

I'm thinking about this for the third episode, just to give the different weapon slots a break. Although I have tried to limit each slot to 1 weapon of each type (max 2) it is a personal hate of mine where you have three or more on each button - even with weapon wheels this can get very annoying will all of the swapping and redundancy in such a bloated arsenal. That's my personal opinion, anyway.

Anyway, if you want to see an inventory system that does work really well without a complex UI or weight system, check out Netronian Chaos by Captain J

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57964

Has a whole TON of cool guns but you only ever need to carry your favorites.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Gzegzolka said:

Wait for my next project and you'll see how I'll be doing things in the future. Hopefully a good mix of MUST HEAR dialogue with a lot of optional conversation or notes for those players who want more context.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:20 PM, june gloom said:

Glad to see you back!

Also -- feel free to include the ENDOOM screens I designed -- I uploaded them for people to use, after all!

And thank you! I will of course be adding these to the next official update :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW

On to what I came in here for:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/ashes-2063/news/announcing-ashes-hard-reset/#8607138

We're finally unveiling our new project officially, headed by lead designer Retromuffin34 and with an entire new story in a standalone expansion. Check out the article for the full story, but look forward to new weapons, new enemies, new ammo types, new locations, new music, and some new lore that will change everything....

RELEASE DATE: TBC. But I hope to see you all there at H-Hour.

-V

On 8/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, Vostyok said:

And thank you! I will of course be adding these to the next official update :D

I'm more than happy to make ones for any further releases, as well, like the third episode or some kind of combined first and second ep, or whathaveyou.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, Vostyok said:

On to what I came in here for:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/ashes-2063/news/announcing-ashes-hard-reset/#8607138

We're finally unveiling our new project officially, headed by lead designer Retromuffin34 and with an entire new story in a standalone expansion. Check out the article for the full story, but look forward to new weapons, new enemies, new ammo types, new locations, new music, and some new lore that will change everything....

RELEASE DATE: TBC. But I hope to see you all there at H-Hour.

-V

ITs amazing this stuff is still free - Including this new standalone prequel, Hard Reset! - But by all means, this deserves a Steam release of the entire collection. Its far too good and easily rivals or bests commercial GZDoom titles.

If the product itself can't easily be sold, because of currently borrowed assets, I wish they would start a Patreon so players can at least contribute for their _time_, if nothing else.

The Mall - Wrapped around the central Michonne Subway Terminus, the mall is a huge, multi-level shopping center. Boasting an arcade, bowling alley, kid's play area, restaurants and countless clothing and accessory stands, it was once one of the most important places in the city, drawing shoppers for miles around.

Not now, though.

Now the mall is only inhabited by the dead. And they're dying for company...

Mallpic.png

Just want to say, I loved the dialogue in afterglow, and it would be a shame if that style was completely discarded. The conversations contribute deeply to the worldbuilding. 

So I thought i'd make this mall map into a very quick, small vanilla-esque map, with some fun little combat scenarios and some interesting activities to do.

Something that could be finished in about 10 minutes or so, and actually mapping it wouldn't take long either.

Haha that didn't work out.

Spoiler

(This is a very complex map that even has a few call backs to moments when we visited the mall in previous episodes. Only a grand effort of will has stopped me from glueing all three maps together and making something truly gargantuan)

MALLnew.png

I've got a question for the developer, since he seems to be active here: I just started re-playing 2063, gave it a shot on Apocalypse to see how far I could get... and I noticed it's much easier because of the double ammo. Is this something intentional, or something you are actively aware of? or does Apocalypse get much harder in later levels?

Also, great fucking mod.

You're based as fuck for making it.

21 hours ago, AbeAwesome said:

I've got a question for the developer, since he seems to be active here: I just started re-playing 2063, gave it a shot on Apocalypse to see how far I could get... and I noticed it's much easier because of the double ammo. Is this something intentional, or something you are actively aware of? or does Apocalypse get much harder in later levels?

Also, great fucking mod.

You're based as fuck for making it.

Apocalypse mode was kinda intended as a full on action movie mode with lots of aggressive enemies but less ammo conservation issues so it would play more like a classic shooter. Of course, the balance is probably a little off as we always made a survival-esque gameplay the main experience.

I'll be making sure this is a lot more of a challenge in future, especially since I realised that NIGHTMARE skills can actually have their own spawns (lol, I am dumb). But yeah, if you are even slightly conservative with your ammo you will no doubt finish the first few maps with buckets of the stuff.

Hooray !!! Congrats and thanks To Vostok and the team that made Ashes:2063 and Dead Man Walking… marvellous work as always… the challenge is There.. although I played and enjoyed Ashes:2063 and dead man walking… figuring out where to go and what to do next and how to get there was somewhat confusing ( at least for me it was)  and yes, the bike is still kinda jank… but it works and looks cool, so there’s that… glad to see the “where to go, what to do, and how do I get there” is being looked at and fixed to some degree…,and we’ll have some kinda portraits and more dialog as needed… splendid news, I’d say… great job all around !!! 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:13 AM, Vostyok said:

Only a grand effort of will has stopped me from glueing all three maps together and making something truly gargantuan

Please do this. The mall levels are among my favorites across both episodes.

GRAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!! I can't wait to play this one!!! >:3 Very excited for the new weapons and other thingymados!!!! (うu╹) And i hope everything's real good for you Vostyok!!!! (>᎑<๑)/♡

Finishing up another map. This one is set in the outskirts, about 8 miles from the City centre.

We still have a little way to go. A lot of ground to cover and a lot of rads between here and there. Maybe take the train?

Screenshot_Cordon.png