Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Who's your favorite villain?

As I've said it before in another thread, I've recently got into old Marvel comics, and I must say, their villain catalog is really freaking good! If I had to chose one though, there's only one option for me:

image.png.396496ec36424971d06ff4d675641389.png

I know, a bit of a boring and predictable choice, but come on, its DOCTOR FUCKING DOOM!!! Top tier character.

22 minutes ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Michael Myers from "Halloween" series, pure evil, cold blooded maniac with no remorse and no regret.

And no personality. :P

Half-kidding: I do like the original Halloween.

General Zod (Michael Shannon) in Man of Steel. He's convinced he's the hero of the story, burdened with the heavy responsibility to save his species. By any and all means necessary.

Edit: now that I think about it, the type of villain that keeps on loudly proclaiming that they're really the good guy, thus committing atrocities in the name of "good", is my favorite kind of villain. Superboy Prime from Infinite Crisis and M. Bison from the Streetfighter movie come to mind.

Edited by Arno

This question isn't easy to answer, because what is a good villain? A villain that is an interesting character and a good adversary for the hero(es), or on the other hand, a villain who is a terrible being that does terrible things so that you can wholeheartedly hate him/her?

So regarding A) my favorite villains are:

The Joker from Batman

Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from Hellboy

Regarding B) IMO the best villains are:

Homelander from The Boys

Dr Smith from the 2018ff Lost in Space reboot

Calvin Candie and Stephen from Django Unchained.

I haven't watched Inglorious Basterds yet, but people also pick the villain in that movie.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, hybridial said:

Satan, in the original Devilman manga. 

Satan.png

Never would have guessed it coming from you :)

Personally, I'm watching the second season of Vinland Saga (pretty good btw) and in retrospective I'm starting to see Askeladd as a villain. Pretty complex and morally ambiguous, with an understandable vengeance motive, but ultimately very destructive to the people around him. He's still cool though.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

965178.png

Mercy? I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy.

In an old JRPG one of the villain that i liked and disliked at the same time was Albedo from Xenosaga Trilogy. He was always a stick in the way in almost 2 games of the trilogy. 

In TV Series, Negan from the Walking Dead was one of the most better villains because he was funny and deadly at the same time for our protagonist.

In Anime Shogo Makishima from Psycho Pass and Yagami Light from Death Note i was in a moment thinking when they are gonna make a mistake in how impressive they were evading everyone who tries to stop them.

On 8/18/2023 at 6:42 PM, Turbulent said:

MzA1MjkyMTI4MTg

Dukat from DS9. Morally complex while explicitly the villain.

Gul Dukat's great. The simple fact that so many people were accusing the show writers of "assassinating his character" at the back half of DS9 is IMO testament to just how well-rounded he was written.

One of my favorite villains is Clarence Boddicker, from Robocop. He's not the big bad guy but his presence and mannerisms make him a perfect slimeball. Bitches leave.

Clarence_J._Boddicker.jpg

Gonna prolly be an odd choice but I grew up with Sonic Sat AM on like netflix as a kid. And while TBH there isn't too much good about the show in hindsight, I've always been enamored with the tone and threat of it's portrayal of robotnik. He's the highlight of the show. The choice of voice actor was perfect, the writing was just as good, he has all of the best moments. Up there with like, Darth Vader and shit as a core pillar of what I look towards for good qualities in villains. Just as if not more so than actual real robotnik from like sonic adventure 2 where his writing peaked lol. 

Of all of the truly inhumane and pure evil villains I think this is the one I've seen who succeeds the most. So when a villain is clearly trying to be that way, this is the standard I hold them to.

"Dreams are made to be... Broken!" 

On 8/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, Herr Dethnout said:

This motherfucker

artworks-000488986443-2fzrk2-t500x500.jp

I was kind of amazed that Rockstar never had an adult version of him in a GTA game ruining things for everyone. My recent play of that game, I enjoyed destroying his nuts in missions during every possible mission in the first chapter, earned his betrayal that time xD

35 minutes ago, indigotyrian said:

One of my favorite villains is Clarence Boddicker, from Robocop. He's not the big bad guy but his presence and mannerisms make him a perfect slimeball. Bitches leave.

"Guns, guns, guns!"

1 hour ago, indigotyrian said:

Robocop is great. Edward Neumeier who wrote the screenplay also wrote Starship Troopers which for me is the rare example of a movie being better than the book.

57 minutes ago, Turbulent said:

Robocop is great. Edward Neumeier who wrote the screenplay also wrote Starship Troopers which for me is the rare example of a movie being better than the book.

The other being Jurassic Park.

Speaking of which, I guess the T-Rex and the Raptors do count as villains and they are pretty memorable indeed.

Another good villain would be the titular character from Wishmaster, but mostly due to Andrew Divoff's performance in the first movie.

Wishmaster1-600x240.png

And yes, I am aware that the picture is from Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies, but I could not find a better picture of the Divoff.

Sauron (LoTR)

Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)

Homelander (The Boys)

Fletcher (Whiplash)

Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)

Calvin Candie (Django Unchained)

7 hours ago, indigotyrian said:

That was pretty good...

I'm big into villains. In movies, it just takes WAY better actors to pull off being the villain.

I've often been disappointed with some of the villains in James Bond movies. For instance,

I love me some Christopher Walken, but as a villain in that Bond movie, A View to a Kill,

not so good. The real Walken experience can be seen and felt in True Romance, which, is

one bloody-ef'en movie!

Now, David Warner always does an excellent villain. He played both Sark and Dillinger in

Tron. That's one villain each for the real and virtual worlds. But he shines as Evil in the

Gilliam movie, Time Bandits.

Some actors just have the face to play an awesome villain. I don't know the actor's name

but Eddie the Dane in Miller's Crossing (an early Cohen Bros. flick) is awesome.

But if you're going to have to make me choose?

Spoiler

ming.jpg.40fd1a5f0d2df2b3ecc0d6265656a4bf.jpg

Max von Sydow

as Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon. Just something about ruling the entire

universe...

Baron Harkonnen. He embodies every shitty politician, military general, greedy capitalist, and perverse priest. His incarnation in the 2021 Dune is perfect and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the second half.

However, Clarence Bodicker might take the cake as he's endlessly quotable and you love to hate him. Flawless performance.

HansGruber.jpeg

Hans Gruber from Die Hard. The QUINTESSENTIAL Euro-baddie. Intelligent, ruthless, quick-thinking, highly cultured and incredibly cool under pressure. 

RIP Alan Rickman.

10 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

However, Clarence Bodicker might take the cake as he's endlessly quotable and you love to hate him. Flawless performance.

Also, he gets his ass continuously kicked by RoboCop.