Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yop

1k1k - A COMPACT Doom 2 Community Project [RELEASED]

Quick followup to my earlier post: shooting for an exact map count, with pre-claimable "slots", is an antiquated practice, which is particularly troublesome for open community projects like this. A few issues with it:

• There's no guarantee that every person who signs up will actually make or finish a map, i.e. some slots will be empty later on
  • If all slots are claimed, you'll turn away mappers who might have otherwise finished something. This combined with the above point inevitably means you will find yourself with empty slots toward the end of the project.
  • Since mappers are working in isolation, the difficulty curve is going to be all over the place unless you reorder the maps post-submission anyway.

While it's not necessarily a bad thing to have some sort of soft limit (e.g. "20ish maps") to avoid getting swamped with submissions if it gets popular, this situation is rare in practice. You're much more likely to end up with less maps than expected, and many community and team projects have stalled out because of the whole "oh no we're less than X maps, we need more to hit the target" idea. It's an unnecessary burden-- free yourself from it.

21 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Caverns of Despair

Either 01 or 19

None

Caverns of Despair.zip

All good for Map19, maybe some more detailing would be nice.
but 2 things i'd like to point out for some change
1st off my guy some armour would be nice, facing off against the cluster of revs in the final act while squishy is a bit of a pain.
2nd no custom midi? intentional or no, i can find something in my midi folder for it if you don't provide one

Just now, Treehouseminis said:

Had another question about this project, did you need the map to start as the 1kx1k square or can we make a shape that has the same area? 

Well depends on how you want to go about making your map.
As long as it measures to 1kx1k you're all good, in my map i started out with a 1kx1k square and kept its square shape meanwhile Raiths map19 is fits the area of 1kx1k but isn't a square. 

5 minutes ago, dac said:

Mind if I take MAP20?

Well it's not claimed so go right ahead!

3 hours ago, Xaser said:

Quick followup to my earlier post: shooting for an exact map count, with pre-claimable "slots", is an antiquated practice, which is particularly troublesome for open community projects like this. A few issues with it:

• There's no guarantee that every person who signs up will actually make or finish a map, i.e. some slots will be empty later on
  • If all slots are claimed, you'll turn away mappers who might have otherwise finished something. This combined with the above point inevitably means you will find yourself with empty slots toward the end of the project.
  • Since mappers are working in isolation, the difficulty curve is going to be all over the place unless you reorder the maps post-submission anyway.

While it's not necessarily a bad thing to have some sort of soft limit (e.g. "20ish maps") to avoid getting swamped with submissions if it gets popular, this situation is rare in practice. You're much more likely to end up with less maps than expected, and many community and team projects have stalled out because of the whole "oh no we're less than X maps, we need more to hit the target" idea. It's an unnecessary burden-- free yourself from it.

I don't think this is really an issue, if OP wants 32 maps then they're clearly wanting to make a megawad. People are taking specific slots so they already know where their map will be and will know how difficult to make their map. OP is targeting limit removing Doom 2 which does not necessarily include a MAPINFO specification.

19 minutes ago, Yop said:

All good for Map19, maybe some more detailing would be nice.
but 2 things i'd like to point out for some change
1st off my guy some armour would be nice, facing off against the cluster of revs in the final act while squishy is a bit of a pain.
2nd no custom midi? intentional or no, i can find something in my midi folder for it if you don't provide one

I tried to make it decently detailed and I don't think it is that bad but I can try to find some other places to add some torches or something.

The final fight is meant to be hard, I made this map with slot 19 in mind so I wanted to make it difficult.

2 minutes ago, NinjaDelphox said:

Seems like fun, could I do Map 15?

All yours, have fun!

MAP NAME: Locked-in Paranoia

NUM: 16
SONG USED: "Battle B1" from SMT IV
CUSTOM TEXTURES: none
DOWNLOAD: Link (v2)

P.S. I have played MAP19 just a few minutes ago, and my map can be a bit too much for slot 16, maybe you want to throw it in one of the secret ones if needed. Also even through blue key fight is not slaughter, its pretty cramped, so it may be considered as a slaughter for 1k x 1k, depending on definition, and cuz of that Im not really sure is it fine or not

So, if you want I may do some balance changes

Edited by SG.

9 minutes ago, SG. said:

DOWNLOAD: Link

P.S. I have played MAP19 just a few minutes ago, and my map can be a bit too much for slot 16, maybe you want to throw it in one of the secret ones if needed. Also even through blue key fight is not slaughter, its pretty cramped, so it may be considered as a slaughter for 1k x 1k, depending on definition, and cuz of that Im not really sure is it fine or not

I couldn't make it past the room with the archvile.

I think it needs some balancing.

Also, the lines you used to make the handles for the first room is a cool idea but look kind of weird to me but maybe I am weird.

20 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

lines you used to make the handles for the first room is a cool idea but look kind of weird

ye their texture is a bit too tall i guess, maybe ill throw a short custom one

20 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I couldn't make it past the room with the archvile

what was exactly the hard part? like the archie himself, or the rev, or smth else? just to be sure which part to adjust

edit: also if needed, there is uv-max demo of me playing the map linp_uvmax.7z 

Edited by SG. : demo stuff

24 minutes ago, SG. said:

DOWNLOAD: Link

Super duper cool entry, seeing the archie when going down that lift genuinely spooked me.
Somethings that i'd like to point out:
- in the blue key room you can just run onto the platform that has the key on it bypassing the section. so you might want to add something that blocks this or moving the entry platform a bit further back

Spoiler

image.png.4491b52d306edf8361741247990e9da4.png

- The partial invis. doomguy too fat to get it, unless that's intentional.

Just now, Yop said:

in the blue key room you can just run onto the platform that has the key on it bypassing the section. so you might want to add something that blocks this or moving the entry platform a bit further back

yes, thanks, i left it intentionally. I see it as a cool little skip for speedruns

2 minutes ago, Yop said:

The partial invis. doomguy too fat to get it, unless that's intentional

its a glide, left as an easter egg, to complete the map as a pacifist, so its fine

29 minutes ago, SG. said:

ye their texture is a bit too tall i guess, maybe ill throw a short custom one

what was exactly the hard part? like the archie himself, or the rev, or smth else? just to be sure which part to adjust

edit: also if needed, there is uv-max demo of me playing the map linp_uvmax.7z 

The room was really cramped so I could not get away from the pinkies without getting slaughtered by the archvile and visa-versa

Just now, Tangra666 said:

Slot 17 for me, please?

all yours, have fun!

4 hours ago, Yop said:

2nd no custom midi? intentional or no, I can find something in my midi folder for it if you don't provide one

I forgot to mention but, go ahead and choose a MIDI for it.

15 minutes ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Whip map12]
[Stratovarius-The Game Never Ends]
[32in24]

Map is complete

WHIP1.0.zip

Map is nice, but its way bigger than 1024x1024, and i can not run it properly on dsda or crispy, due to textures been broken

15 minutes ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Whip map12]
[32in24]

Map is complete

WHIP1.0.zip

When I try to open it I get the error: P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from FFIELDG1 to FFIELDGA

14 minutes ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Whip map12]
[32in24]

Map is complete

WHIP1.0.zip

This isn't 1000x1000 so i'll have to reject it
A real good map otherwise.

@Yop Playable space is the main hall and it is a square divided into four and put into a hallway length. Also I only tested it in GZdoom. Sorry it technically is a 1024x1024 space split into four.

Edited by yourlocalchef