Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pieruskwurje

Insanity Edged

Posted (edited)

Any tips to find the red key in map 05?

It should be near the first open area because there is a red switch not too far away (near megasphere and invulnerability).

Edited by Lord Pavis

16 hours ago, Lord Pavis said:

Any tips to find the red key in map 05?

Spoiler

Continue to play the map normally, it's not hidden at all. You will find many instances of red key buttons throughout the level. Perhaps if you find the key, you'll be able to access the teleporter at the start?

Ok got it, thank you. I'm now in map 8 and 

Spoiler

I need to find all the logs again... The C log still eludes me!

8 hours ago, Lord Pavis said:

Ok got it, thank you. I'm now in map 8 and 

Reveal hidden contents

I need to find all the logs again... The C log still eludes me!

Spoiler

The order of letters DYKLCR correspond to the order of maps each log is found in, and hence 'C' links up with MAP05. Try finding an area that resembles where you found the log in MAP05, and search around there!

And since you're pretty much at the end; I hope you enjoyed playing the mod.

I finished the mod with

Spoiler

the "good" ending

Wow! The mapset, the atmosphere were really incredible and you trully deserve the cacoward. The only concern for we was

Spoiler

the logs way too much hard to find. I had to watch playtrough video and ask for help, but after all it's a minor point, they're not needed to finish the mod.

Congratulations for your mod.

Finished this one and Winter's fury!

Amazing wads, I hope to see a new encounter!

hey I was just wondering, is there a place where we can see where all the music used in this mod is from? I know that some of the track names are in the ending credits but is there also a text document or something?

Inside the .pk3 there is a credits lump, which contains a slightly more detailed list of credits. If you find anything missing, let me know.

Honestly not sure whether better practice is to have it outside the .pk3 or not, I just did it this way to keep it all in one file, rather than making a zip on-top of the pk3. Same for the readme.

8 hours ago, bowserknight said:

Oh right, I keep forgetting how pk3 files work, I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

You can also check the DoomWiki page for soundtrack information.

Posted (edited)

Wow, Insanity Edged was an experience. I started playing Friday evening, and finished yesterday. This kind of storytelling is what I always long for in most types of media; you've done a great job of putting it together in Doom of all places.

Spoiler

The moment when you exit the cave in MAP06?? and the "Memoriam" music hits as the story text is revealed... I felt emotion. A sense of loss. Sadness. In Doom. I'm still a bit shocked.

I feel like I probably played but didn't finish or get very far in Winter's Fury whenever it first came out, but I'll definitely do that next... and then maybe replay IE to try and find all of the specific hidden items (which I found zero of during my first playthrough). I'm a lurker by nature, but the quality of this drew me out of the non-existence to let you know you did an EXCELLENT job. Thank you so much. This meant more to me than many studio-release video games I've played in the past several years. 

Edited by Aquashark

13 minutes ago, Aquashark said:

I feel like I probably played but didn't finish or get very far in Winter's Fury whenever it first came out, but I'll definitely do that next... and then maybe replay IE to try and find all of the specific hidden items (which I found zero of during my first playthrough). I'm a lurker by nature, but the quality of this drew me out of the non-existence to let you know you did an EXCELLENT job. Thank you so much. This meant more to me than many studio-release video games I've played in the past several years. 

Good luck with that, some of the hidden items are pretty hard to find, some even require you to do something out of the ordinary. They were probably way simpler to find in Winter's Fury. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Aquashark said:

Wow, Insanity Edged was an experience. I started playing Friday evening, and finished yesterday. This kind of storytelling is what I always long for in most types of media; you've done a great job of putting it together in Doom of all places.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed it, even more so that you really enjoyed the storytelling! I love to put a lot of focus into trying to tell stories with my mods, even if that's never really been a core tenet of why people enjoy Doom. As a fellow lurker, to know that Insanity Edged particularly stood out enough to you for you to comment on it makes me very happy.

Spoiler

Also awesome to see that you commented on the scene where you exit the cave! I felt the same way when I first got the scripts and timing working! Legion of the Lost is a beautiful track, and DJ Redlight's remix is a wonderful rendition of it. I hope I was able to represent part of the emotion they put into that track.

19 hours ago, bowserknight said:

Good luck with that, some of the hidden items are pretty hard to find, some even require you to do something out of the ordinary. They were probably way simpler to find in Winter's Fury. 

If you want cryptic hints that don't help at all, remember to type SECRET in the console!

Edited by Pieruskwurje

I realized I never wrote about my experience with this after playing it in January, but seeing Aquashark post about it reminded me. Man, was this great! The atmosphere of this WAD is top-notch. I love how it starts off "normal," but gets weirder as you go on and more unsettling. It has been quite a long time since I've played Winter's Fury, but I still picked up on a lot of the threads that call back to it. Just going back in to that universe was nice, and was something I had been waiting for ever since playing it years ago. Some spoilery thoughts in terms of maps and themes:

Spoiler

What ended up being MAP06 threw me for a loop. I didn't see any aspect of that map coming. It felt like reality was being ripped apart the entire time I was in it, with the new music, haywire red switches, unnerving messages on the screens, and the monsters previously killed coming back to life, but not doing anything. I also loved how portals were added to really enhance the feeling of confusion and paranoia this map causes, even if it did make progression confusing at first. It works in practice. I think this entire sequence shows what one can do with GZDoom to create something unlike anything we've seen in Doom. It's one of the most mind-bending and unnerving things I've seen in Doom, and a great twist in the middle of this WAD that people could miss entirely if they don't spot the red key at the exit of MAP05. 

Like Aquashark above me, opening the cave doors in MAP07 and having that remix of Legion of the Lost start playing hits hard. It's the emotional highlight of the WAD for me, as that version of the track really enhances the somberness of it. I can only agree that it evokes a feeling of loss and sadness. This remix is so good, I went to OCRemix and downloaded it, and have been throwing it into most of the playlists I've been making lately. So thanks for introducing me to this track at least, lol! Even though this map looks like it takes place in a "normal" area, I know there's nothing "normal" about it. We're far from home here. We may not even be on the same plane of existence we started out on. This location shouldn't exist. There's not much actual reality-bending in this map, but it still feels unnatural.

This gets turned up to 11 in the final level. The fact that the final battle isn't the end of the WAD, but is just the beginning of a subdued, melancholy exploration of chunks of the previous maps is unexpected. Even though these areas are familiar, it still feels foreign, and at times it's otherworldly To me, this map feels like a purgatory of sorts. Just roaming through places we have been before. All connected in ways that don't make geographical sense. I get the same feeling with this map as I do with other media that eschews environmental logic. On the Doom side of things, stuff like Hazmat Hazama and it's fusion of environments and void-like elements is similar, and MyHouse with its multitude of different versions of its titular house are elements that I think this WAD has in common with it. I haven't played Signalis, but I did watch a video about it and its themes, and this WAD reminds me a little bit of it with how its locations you traverse don't seem to make sense together. Maybe it's the way some psychological horror games deals with environments and locations? Taking the familiar, but changing it in ways that feel unnatural? I wouldn't say the final map is scary, but reexperiencing these past areas but now devoid of any signs of life (and color iirc), feels not only off, but unsettling and mysterious. I remember Winter's Fury's story was one that kept me thinking long after I finished it, trying to make sense of it and where it could lead in the future, but I don't recall it bending reality in this way. I'm definitely going to have to replay it.

I'm still going to have to replay this and find all of the logs so I can get the other ending. I found 3 I think. The Doomwiki page seems to show where they are, but I noticed the explanations for the logs in the final map my be inaccurate, since I think it was said in here that the keys are placed in multiple spots, and a few descriptions mention specific key locations. I'm sure if I take the time to explore, I'll be able to find them. Overall, the way this WAD screws with your expectations and the conventions of Doom, while keeping the story started by Winter's Fury going and just as engaging, makes this a very worthy sequel! And, of course, the actual gameplay is fun too! Absolutely loved everything about this, and I hope the next installment doesn't take as long to come out as this one did (no biggie if it does tho).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TJG1289 said:

It has been quite a long time since I've played Winter's Fury, but I still picked up on a lot of the threads that call back to it. Just going back in to that universe was nice, and was something I had been waiting for ever since playing it years ago.

It's really cool that there are some people like yourself who have been interested in seeing a follow-up for a long time. I'm glad that it seemed to live up to your expectations!

Spoiler

Re: Reality bending - There's definitely an entire map of Winter's Fury which you may have forgotten about, along with some other small things. The reason why I think Winter's Fury and Insanity Edged can be played in either order is that there's things that you may only pick up on while playing one after playing the other, both narratively and thematically. 

5 hours ago, TJG1289 said:

The Doomwiki page seems to show where they are, but I noticed the explanations for the logs in the final map my be inaccurate, since I think it was said in here that the keys are placed in multiple spots, and a few descriptions mention specific key locations. I'm sure if I take the time to explore, I'll be able to find them.

I had seen this problem as well. I wanted to change it, but I wasn't sure if it was correct etiquette to update the page for my own mod. Feels kinda self-centred??? I don't know.

Posted (edited)

So I've finished Winter's Fury with all the logfiles. It was fun - I feel like the atmosphere in general was lighter than Insanity Edged? But maybe that's just due to the nature of Elliot versus Jacob (or perhaps a factor relating to their individual relationships with another certain character).

Spoiler

I did have a hard time with the dual Demon Queen fight initially, as I didn't understand the goal was to stall for time. I only understood the "clock" symbols on their life bar after finding out that was the goal :P

But now going back through Insanity Edged and trying to find all the logfiles, I've made a critical error and was wondering if you could offer any help...

Spoiler

In MAP03, I didn't catch on to the fact I'm supposed to shoot one of the TAO team -- largely because I'm using info on the DoomWiki to find the logfiles (I know, I know, it's dishonorable, but I spent so much time in the original playthrough looking for secrets, now I just hunger for the lore I missed with as little pain as possible). On the Doomwiki, it says "Take the path north from the boss chamber and at the closed door, jump up on the west side to find a passage leading around the door. Cross the bridge and you will find five logbooks as you go." Which is... just not correct as far as I can tell. EDIT: well, it's correct AFTER you get the red key and open the door :p So I ended up saving during the boss battle... with no way to go back before and kill the marine for the key. >_<
I've tried deleting my save files so if I die during the fight with Diablo it'll boot me back to the beginning of the level... but here is the main question, I guess:
Is there a way to check and see what log files the player has currently?
I worry about continuing, just in case dying and restarting clears the logfiles collected from previous levels. Thanks!

Edited by Aquashark : misspelled the mod's name >_<

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Aquashark said:

But now going back through Insanity Edged and trying to find all the logfiles, I've made a critical error and was wondering if you could offer any help...

Reveal hidden contents

In MAP03, I didn't catch on to the fact I'm supposed to shoot one of the TAO team -- largely because I'm using info on the DoomWiki to find the logfiles (I know, I know, it's dishonorable, but I spent so much time in the original playthrough looking for secrets, now I just hunger for the lore I missed with as little pain as possible). On the Doomwiki, it says "Take the path north from the boss chamber and at the closed door, jump up on the west side to find a passage leading around the door. Cross the bridge and you will find five logbooks as you go." Which is... just not correct as far as I can tell. EDIT: well, it's correct AFTER you get the red key and open the door :p So I ended up saving during the boss battle... with no way to go back before and kill the marine for the key. >_<
I've tried deleting my save files so if I die during the fight with Diablo it'll boot me back to the beginning of the level... but here is the main question, I guess:
Is there a way to check and see what log files the player has currently?
I worry about continuing, just in case dying and restarting clears the logfiles collected from previous levels. Thanks!

Without having a PC in front of me to test, I'm mostly confident that you can use the difficulty changer in the main menu (Mod Setup->Gameplay) to reset the map without making a new game state. Just change the difficulty to something else, let the level reset, and then change it back to the difficulty you were on.

I definitely tested this when I made the feature, so again. Mostly confident.

EDIT: I've gone through and tested: It does work, your progress is safe.

Edited by Pieruskwurje

hey man a little late but winters fury was very cool, gonna check this out this weekend :)

Thanks for going to the extra effort to write a big review! I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it.

FYI about the .obj files: The vast majority of them (all of them, even) were originally made within the editor like a normal doom map, and then exported as a .obj using features inbuilt into the editor. I have copies of the maps where the 3D models are still actual solid map geometry, like what you'd normally get in a doom map, in case I ever want to 'edit' the models. So if you're thinking "how can this be done in a map editor", it actually can be!

The primary reason parts of the maps were converted to 3D geometry is to increase the framerate, as I understand a bunch of collision code (among other things) is skipped over without the extra parts of the map. The start area of MAP08 is probably the best example of this, as this would have been easier to leave as normal map geometry. Converting it to models involved splitting the model into various different components, as while they can be lit by dynamic lights, they can all only have a single static brightness value. This means to mimic how the map was originally lit, the area geometry was split into 5 and 7 models for the centre and side ceilings respectively, which are now stacked on top of one another.