Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fireseth

SIGIL II - Episode 6

On 1/2/2024 at 7:45 AM, AnotherGrunt said:

Is there some systematical way how to check all maps for visplane and SEGs limit? I mean other than just play and wait for crash.

You can try Visplane Explorer, or for more options see thread:

Also I have to say kudos for trying to get it working on DOS! I also prefer playing DooM in DOS, but I'm resorting to Woof for Sigil II.

Edit: Link to Chocorenderlimits on the wiki, which allows much more detailed analysis at the cost of time since you still have to move through the level. Use Visplane Explorer to narrow down the potential problem areas, then CRL to test them in-game.

Edited by beast

@beast: I like djDoom much more because it is as close to vanilla as possible, but still in C code. Or to be more specific, in DJGPP translatable code. Chocorenderlimits I know and I use, but it is not in my power to traverse entire WAD and test it. Visplane Explorer is much better idea (I wasn't aware of). So thank you for this answer.

What is my plan:

1. Download, build and test Visplane Explorer. I need a number. Or to be specific combination of SEGS and VISPLANE limit for every map in Sigil/Sigil2.
  2. Then I will attempt to port higher episode support from MBF into djDoom.
  3. And lower down MAXDRAWSEGS and MAXVISPLANES macro as much as possible. Original visplane algorithm doesn't scale up as good as what is used in MBF (hashes). I believe only reason why djDoom didn't crashed is good combination of static limits (MAXDRAWSEGS+MAXVISPLANES) and I simply have to find another (higher) still sufficient combination of these static limits.
  4. And then test and test and test. And maybe release binary for testing.
On 1/12/2024 at 1:10 AM, beast said:

Also I have to say kudos for trying to get it working on DOS! I also prefer playing DooM in DOS, but I'm resorting to Woof for Sigil II.

My original intention why I've started poking into MBF four years back was to tease Romero how he should optimize before releasing anything. That was when Sigil1 was released. But who the hell I'm to teach the master? I'm not mapper and I admit that. I'm much better with code ;-)

-----

So I'm starting my analysis and it is exactly as I predicted:

e6m1.png.6b6f7c968f6fda66769ba9d6f58f72b0.png

e6m2_p.png.59ee34246ba2b08055f0c70d8d4f0549.png

(brown is vanilla limit (128 visplanes) red is vanilla overflow (128+ visplanes) and white shade is even more (256+ visplanes))

256 visplanes should be just enough and even though the some maps can contain 256+ visplanes is better to cut down geometry or MAXDRAWSEGS than shift the limit further up. I don't know how much time it can take, but I'm planning to convert SIGIL1, cut down unnecessary geometry and go through all maps in SIGIL1/SIGIL2. Wish me luck.

Edited by AnotherGrunt : pictures

So I have completed Sigil II, yes I know I am late to the party, believe me I know.

My favorite level so far is E6M2 "Violent Hatred", its flow just draws me in. I am replaying the episode on low difficulty to take time walking through and observing all the details, and of course finding all the secrets.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:49 PM, june gloom said:

I was at a loss for how to exit E6M7 too until I thought to shoot the marble faces that space out the Baron coffins.

Ty. I got stuck on this part for a good while. Thinkin i missed a switch or something. Couldnt find the signature green and red eye. 🤣 

Just beat Sigil 1 uv today. Got to m8 uv in Sigil II today as well. Taking me forever cause im dying quite a bit, and also realllly observing the design techniques and finding the juicy secrets. Makes me feel like im a kid again. 🔥

At this rate We'll eventually see enough new episodes for this 30 year old game Romero'll call it a season. We could finally get a new "official" boss monster by then if Romero can convince Gregor Punchatz, or do it himself.

I just finished the wad a couple of days ago on a very casual HMP, and I gotta say--I loved it. I loved the intimate size of the maps, the conservative enemy numbers, and the satisfying secrets. Just as Romero promised in his tweet, it felt so beautifully cut from the same cloth as the original 4 episodes (and Sigil I, of course). I'm very excited to see what Hellion turns out to be.

Posted (edited)

Its alright.  I'm on the 7th level.. I don't want to offend JOHN ROMERO but i think SIGIL 1 is better.

I died a whole lot in this wad on HMP, i dont think i will be playing this episode 6 again. 

On 12/30/2023 at 3:12 AM, Rudolph said:

Has Romero said if he has plans for more mapsets after Hellion? Like SIGIL 64 or "SIGIL 3D" for Quake?

Do you think that if he made Sigil 64/3D or Hellion 64/3D, he would use the rereleases as a base or the original rom file for Doom 64 and the original Quake game?