Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m8f

⬆️ Doomworld Community Top WADs of All Time (resurrected)

A lot of nostalgia in here. Gotta take these results with a giant grain of sand.

Naturally there will be nostalgia, we're human after all. I don't see a better way of doing community voting though. Exclude people like me who only play old stuff? lol

Posted (edited)
On 8/31/2022 at 11:36 PM, NiGHTS108 said:

Hi, I'm back to change my votes

Sunlust - 10 

Tangerine Nightmare - 9

Speed Of Doom - 8

Struggle: Antaresian Legacy - 7
Back To Saturn X: Episode 2 - 6
Haste - 5
Valiant - 4
Ray Mohawk 2: Ray Wreaks Havoc! - 3
Rowdy Rudy II: Powertrip! - 2
Lost Civilization - 1

Been a long time, think I'll change again

10 - Sunlust

9 - Tangerine Nightmare

9 - Speed Of Doom

9 - Scythe II

9 - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

9 - Back To Saturn X: Episode 2 

31 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

Naturally there will be nostalgia, we're human after all. I don't see a better way of doing community voting though. Exclude people like me who only play old stuff? lol

In other communities, there are differentiated popularity polls (or vote counting/rating collection) for overall and annual releases.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to apply it here because it's quite ambiguous when exactly a project is truly released (first public version? first beta? first RC? /idgames upload?) or some projects change quite drastically with the pass of time (e.g. Brutal Doom). This is not exclusive to Doom WADs tho.

Also, what is heavier? a kilogram of nostalgia bias or a kilogram of recency bias?

On 4/7/2024 at 10:46 PM, roadworx said:

it feels odd to lump stuff like kama sutra and resurgence in with sunder and flotsam

Thanks, unmarked Kama Sutra and Resurgence.

I would like to update my vote:

Eviternity II - 10

Sunlust - 10

Abandon - 8

Eviternity - 6

Speed of Doom - 6

Overboard - 5

Going Down - 5

Valiant - 3

Resurgence - 1

TNT: Revilution - 1

On 4/8/2024 at 11:14 AM, Li'l devil said:

10 - Memento Mori
10 - Memento Mori II

10 - Requiem

8 - The Plutonia Experiment

8 - STRAIN

5 - TNT: Evilution

4 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Played AV and reevaluated other wads (and removed Plutonia because on replay I realized I don't really like it), so I felt a strong need to change scores again, heh.

10 - Alien Vendetta

10 - Memento Mori

10 - TNT: Evilution
10 - Memento Mori II

7 - STRAIN

5 - Requiem

3 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Posted (edited)

Sorry, some major changes since :

Spoiler
On 9/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, apichatpong said:

Sunder 10
Sunlust 10
Tangerine Nightmare 10
Going Down 10
Fractured Worlds 10

Drastic changes, not on the wad’s choices but on the way to organize the points.

Since last year my way of playing evolved a bit : I moved from all cheating to playing easiest skill levels (with, for some dark encounters, a slice of cheat, and with two exceptions : 1) believe it or not, 25 years after my discovery of the game, I finally beat doom II on UV (not easily) 2) never tried Sunder without iddad).

These are the five wads I cherish the most, from beginning to end.

Sunder : everything I wrote last year still hold, but now, for the fun, I’ve tried other wads in Sunder’s style, some of them were nice but none had neither the cathartic sadness nor the intricate way Insane Gazebo manage to make you « feel » the architecture inside the fights (the closer I’ve found is maybe some levels in LunchLunch’s 10x10 (thanks MtPain27, and thanks LunchLunch).

Sunlust : my favorite 32-megawad. I know there is no such a thing as a perfect megawad, I know everybody is supposed to love Sunlust so it’s an easy pick… but, man, I love every level in it, I love the diversity in atmosphere, fights, secrets hunt, the great intertwining of both author’s style. On this last point, the last levels (notably 28 but especially 30 - two levels I still can’t beat, even on ITYTD) are astonishing achievements. Plus, when I feel that I’m gonna have a tough night, the best way I’ve found to change my mind without any form of anxiety is trying to beat my record for the journey through the whole wad (without monsters)(at some hours in the night, even the timed switches - with the help of the music - are hypnotic).
I’ve not tried yet Combat Shock but went through (or, at least, tried to) some Ribbiks’s classics… I was close to insert another one of them : Swim with the whales or Stardate 2X06 because they are flawless, also very impressive and challenging (even on low skill), Stardate 2X07 or, especially, Magnolia because, from my point of view, it seems to me that finishing them, even with cheats (I try not to) will take me another two years… (plus, all three levels of Magnolia are, in their own way, fascinating)

Going Down : the second wad (after TNT) I’ve played after returning to Doom a year and a half ago. It was on a direct download, without use of a port like zdoom or others, there was a bug in the end with an early collapse of the building with the spidermastermind, impeaching her to become the red angrier version of herself. Anyway : it’s a chaotic, energetic, twisted and very funny megawad. Mouldy hold the chair for doomcute’s best use, the going up for the mother’s phone call in the secrets always give me naïve joy. The level with the 7 yellow keys is my first remembrance of spending hours to understand the mechanic of a level, being at first annoyed then enlightened and rewarded. In fact, every floor of the elevator is smartly placed and the full coherence of it impress me.
Overboard is also very nice and, recently, I’ve played The eye which is banger !

Fractured Worlds : don’t get me wrong, it’s not (at all) an easy one ! But the job done by Nirvana to implement the skill levels for very casual players is absolutely nice and very much appreciated. As I wrote elsewhere, it’s the first wad I’ve played which, sometimes, gave me the feeling I was improving at this game. Of course, going deeper into the maps remembered me the trip is still long but, you know, we all have to start somewhere…
While evoking this wad, it seems that I always speak of learning things but, once again, don’t get me wrong : the maps are wonderful, the secret fight in each one of them with the change of palette is great idea, I think that, with Magnolia’s first map, I owe this mapset my best pacifist souvenirs… Everything is fun and rewarding in this place !
For the joke, I’ve also played Entropy by Nirvana (another one of his that I praise) and it was this map who made me stop full cheat. One day, starting the level on ITYTD, I forgot to iddad and manage, without any harm, to go through the entrance, have the rocket launcher and even go through the big imp, shotgunners, hell knights fight that follow (with some wounds). I finally died at the small square room (yellow key one, I think) with the cyberdemon and HK or Barons on sides. It was my « why not trying something else » moment.

Tangerine Nightmare : if wads were French literature book’s style (not theme), Sunder could be Chateaubriand’s « Mémoires d’outre-tombe » (Grandiloquent, precise, romantic, death-oriented) (with, for the happy few joke, a slice of Flaubert’s « Bouvard et Pécuchet »), Sunlust would be Stendhal’s « La chartreuse de Parme » (adventurous, seemingly intuitive but with great preparative work, travelling, cruel, ironic but with a true smile)(plus, Stendhal loved mathematics and I’m pretty sure that, at least, Ribbiks does also), Fractured Worlds go with Dumas’s « Trois mousquetaires » (full of plots, friendship, liveliness, heroism)… maybe Going down would be the most difficult to identify to only one style… There is something of Lautréamont’s horrific, surrealistic’s « Chant de Maldoror » but also a teint of Céline for the counter—balance in down-to-earth irony…
Anyway, why ? Why that ?
Because, my story with Tangerine Nightmare is quite like my story with Proust’s « Du côté de chez Swann ». When I started to read Proust’s book, I felt after three pages that it was so evocative, so deep in emotion (and sometimes abstract’s ones) that I’ve been forced to stop… And it took me one year to read the 400 pages of the book.
Believe it or not, I felt the same way with Tangerine nightmare. The atmosphere, from start, was so precise and evocative I had to stop after level 1, then one month later after level 2 etc etc. It took me almost 10 months to finish it. I happen to even praise the credits level !
I usually don’t like very much new monster’s sprites in Doom but here, to my own astonishment, it instantly worked. Every midi is smartly chosen, every map is a little island in an infinite orange ocean, never felt the power of silence in doom as in map 06 (after this harsh start where, step after step, you realize that anywhere you try to hide, any angle you choose, there will be an imp, or a chain gunner, or a revenant or a mancubus to shoot you). Map 07 is my favorite genuine adventure map (my favorite depressive adventure map being Anagnorisis from Eviternity).
You know what, I’m French. People tend to think that French always love, without even trying to argue, what come from France. It’s a lie, a mistake. Facing this French project I’ve always tried to find the failures, sometimes even absurdly convincing myself that «Ok, this map was great, but maybe it’s the last one of this kind »…
Tangerine Nightmare beat me : It’s great from A to Z.
Bravo ! 

Mostly because, since last year, I began to play wads without cheating so I want to stick to wads I've "beaten". This doesn't mean I changed my mind about the ones above though... But also because I restrict myself to wads that are not in the top 50 here.

When I say "beaten", it never means "beaten UVmax", I always try to kill everyone and find all secrets but only with these skill levels :

- ITYTD (single segment, with saves or savescumm)

- HNTR (single segment, with saves or savescumm)

- HMP (single segment, with saves or savescumm)

I have an attraction for maps that are really difficult on UV but with some work on skill level, wads that are real memorable adventures, from single level wads to highly atmosphere-consistent megawads. Even if I'm slow, it happens to pay (beating Magnolia map 03, even ITYTD savescumm, was unimaginable  for me one year ago and, for the anecdote, I've played these days a map which start with you facing a mancubus and, on your left and on your right, two (short) lines of imps and said to myself "let's go infight, it's just an easier version of the (teleporting) red key pacifist fight from Magnolia map 01" when one year ago I would have shit my pants).

Magnolia (Map 01 & 02 ITYTD with some saves, Map 03 ITYTD savescumm helped by Decino playthrough for the route) 4

Jack builds a techbase (Map 01 UV (yeah... I know), Map 02 ITYTD with saves, Map 03 still not finished (even with the gzdoom berserk bug at the beginning) 3

Flesharmonic (Some on HMP, some HMP with saves, mostly HNTR or ITYTD (with or without saves (savescumm for the big boss map)) 4

Tangerine Nightmare (same) 4

Le gars qui a fait Doom (sometimes HMP, mostly HNTR with saves) 3

Mutabor (HMP savescumm but here, from what I understood, HNTR is very different and not necessarily easier) 4

Altitude (HMP with saves) 3

Uroboros (after the first map : ITYTD with saves (savescumm when there is platforming)) 3

PPPP (ITYTD savescumm with lots of coming back to the megasphere field) 4

The Room Below (ITYTD savescumm) 3

ESP3 (supposed to be co-op, beat the first map ITYTD, the others are for the delirium) 2

Event Horizon (ITYTD savescumm mostly because of heavy platforming, helped by Kinetic beverage playthrough for the route) 3

Zzul bases (Map 01 HMP, Map 02 HMP with saves, Map 03 ITYTD with saves and without the big room secret) 4

Down the drain (Mostly HMP or HMP with saves, some HNTR, didn’t beat map 31) 3

The Egg of Human Endeavors (HMP with saves) 4

Zeppelin Armada (some HMP, some HNTR, last map ITYTD with saves) 2

And one last :

The excavation : HMP with saves 2

Edited by apichatpong

subject to change more cool stuff I play and replay

10 - Zzul Bases
10 - Swim with the Whales 
10 - Magnolia
10 - Stardate 20x7
5 - Sunlust
5 - Dimensions 
3 - Doom 2 
1 - Hell Revealed 
1 - Eternal Doom

Seems fun. Here's my list:

7 points - Running Late 2
7 points - Xerxesia 
7 points - Memoirs of Magic
7 points - The Adventures of Square 
6 points - Bauhaus
4 points - REKKR
3 points - Eviternity II
3 points - Eviternity
3 points - Lost Civilization
3 points - Austrian Avian Association
2 points - Scythe 2
2 points - Swim With The Whales
1 points - TNT: Threevilution 

Posted (edited)

I'd like to withdraw my votes for the time being.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:25 AM, Andromeda said:

Fractured Worlds - 10 points

Stardate 20X6 - 9 points

Ray Mohawk 2 - 8 points

Stardate 20X7 - 7 points

Haste - 6 points

Crumpets - 5 points

Uprising - 4 points

Rush - 3 points

Sunlust - 2 points

Speed of Doom - 1 point

On 5/12/2024 at 6:38 AM, Andromeda said:

I'd like to withdraw my votes for the time being. 

Done.

To voters: when voting for a new wad, please add a link to it. It helps a lot.

I'll put in my first vote, why not.

10 points - A.L.T.

8 points - Speed of Doom

7 points - Resurgence

6 points - 3 Heures d'Agonie 3

6 points - Swift Death

4 points - Going Down

4 points - 180 Minutes Pour Vivre

4 points - 3 Heures d'Agonie 2

3 points - Japanese Community Project

3 points - Sunlust

Posted (edited)

Updating my votes:

10 - Ozonia

10 - Eviternity II

10 - 180 Minutes Pour Vivre

5 - Beed's attempt at a cool arsenal (weapon mod by @Beed28, link)

5 - Struggle

3 - Overboard

3 - Eviternity 1

2 - Vesper (weapon mod by @Xaser)

2 - Uprising

1 - Fractured Worlds

1 - Ray Mohawk 2

1 - Wormwood ]|[: The Horror

1 - Doom: Negative One - Beyond the experiment

1 - Plutonia Experiment

Vote Explanation:

55 votes is too little, so almost all things recieved less points, than they deserve in my heart.

Hardest hit pWAD - Eviternity 1 (it is very close to the top 3 in my heart, but - it already has 366 points total in this thread) and Fractured Worlds.

Detailed explantions

Spoiler

Ozonia - the closest thing to Eviternity Sequel before Eviternity 2 itself. And a closest thing to pWAD imagined perfectly and realised flawlesly.

Eviternity 2 - best music score I heard. Insane amount of new ideas put to use, and insane ammount of old ideas perfected (final boss, racing map 33, parallel world map 35 - just to name a few). Very cool level settings. Crazy good difficulty curve (but maybe Eviternity 1 is slightly better in difficulty curve department...).

180 Minutes Pour Vivre - slightly nudges good old Doom visuals to Demon depictions of XVI-XVIII centuries, creating a laconic, but super-deep collection of visual and folklore references. Has an organic difficulty curve from "IWAD-friendly" to "Welcome to Sunder", which is insane! Has huge variation of different level concepts.

Great thing, to be short.

Beed's attempt at a cool arsenal - Just a fun weapon mod on its own. Adds to weapon variety considerably. And it also instantly moves any pWAD combat into more frantic and quick direction. Finally, a variation of Quake-2 / Doom-2016 BFG is a sight to behold in things like bigger maps of Speed of Doom...

Struggle - I like the arsenal, the new monsters, and the final boss (really! it is a bit flawed, but it's super cool nontheless). Level strcuture is cool too.

Overboard - it is Overboard. New game plus alone is one hell of an idea. And the unparralleded monster mobility is crazy too. All this does not touch the setting, or the plot...

Eviternity 1 - Very cool level settings, wonderfull difficulty curve, solid new monsters, good veriety in level concepts and types (watch out for map 19 though! It's great, but also huge and kinda merciless). Personally speaking, this pwad has the best final boss for Doom I have ever seen... 

Vesper - another grand weapon mod, like Beed's attempt at a cool arsenal. Things are super-diffirent, but also feel very-very familiar (excpet the Rocket Launcher. In Vesper, slot 5 is a devastation incanate, ruthless to both friend and foe alike)... If you want to spice normal gameplay - Vesper is wonderful. But if you need a pile of bigger guns to bruteforce through an starvation-type of a heavy challenge map - Vesper may prove a bit insufficient...

Uprising - a love letter to both modern classics (inclidunig Evitenity, or Doom 2016, or Struggle, or Going Down) and the good old Doom 1-2 Wads. With a huge roster of novel customised enemies too. Has my favorite Hell Noble variant. And the best use of unlimited super-bfg.

Fractured Worlds - 1000 hp cybers need to be on the list somewhere... And this insanely well balanced pWAD is a perfect place to give them a shout-out. As far as "beatiful Slaughter-maps" genre of pWADs goes - Fractured Worlds has no equals imho. Art side of thing is great, slaughter is there, and quite imaginative, and the balancing is simply groundshattering (all 4 'non-nightmare' difficulties are properly distinguished, and each offers its own level of challenge.)

Ray Mohawk 2 - best guns ever, unlimited power incarnate. And a series of maps to match. Fully eleminates the fear of "Oh no, I don't have enough firepower for this" from slaughter-esque combat.

Wormwood III: The Horror - map 02 is mysterious and strange, map 03 is super-mega-insanely non-linear. And everything is beatiful. And arachnotrons have ate the mancubi to aqquire their power. And also there are insatkill floors in -complevel 9. Crazy Stuff!

Doom: Negative One - Beyond the experiment - the ultimate community project, IMO. Kamikaze lost souls also leave an impression. And there is also the unexpected IOS setup on one of the final maps.

Plutonia Experiment - too obnoxious in some ways, but still - for a 1997 WAD, Plutonia aged phenomenally! It's feels like a firts step towards Challenge + Atmoshpere map tropes of XXI century. And it has very manageable IOS setup, for which it desrves quite some praise IMO.

Edited by Azure_Horror

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 12:22 AM, Li'l devil said:

Played AV and reevaluated other wads (and removed Plutonia because on replay I realized I don't really like it), so I felt a strong need to change scores again, heh.

10 - Alien Vendetta

10 - Memento Mori

10 - TNT: Evilution
10 - Memento Mori II

7 - STRAIN

5 - Requiem

3 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Yet another vote update, heh. Added Armadosia, reevaluated other wads because I realized I want to play nearly all of them just as much.

6 - Memento Mori

6 - TNT: Evilution
6 - Memento Mori II

6 - Requiem

6 - Alien Vendetta

6 - Icarus: Alien Vanguard

6 - 2002 A Doom Odyssey

6 - Knee-Deep in Knee-Deep in ZDoom

5 - Armadosia

2 - STRAIN

Edit: now also added 2002 ADO and KDiKDiZD. Reranked things again. Really hard to rank wads to get exactly 55 points!!!

Edit: looks like no one has voted for KDiKDiZD yet. Here's the wiki link.

Edited by Li'l devil

Here's where I am right now. Likely to change as I finish more WADs, LOL

10 - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

9 - Scythe 2

8 - Comatose

7 - Grove

6 - Hell Ground

5 - Ray Mohawk 2

4 - Maskim Xul

3 - Overboard

2 - Equinox

1 - Going Down

On 5/18/2024 at 10:53 PM, TheLippyServer said:

I'll put in my first vote, why not.

Sorry, made you wait for a month before the vote got in. Updated the list now (along with other voters).

I think new topic should be made for wads made after this topic was originally posted. Because most people wont update their votes and therefore new releases are very low on this list.

don't have the energy to list a lot this time, maybe next time

Spoiler

Sunlust (8)
Lost Civilization (8)
Counterattack (8)
Forsaken Compound (8) (currently unlisted, so link)
Ancient Aliens (8)
Jumpwad (8)
Abandon (7)

also heavily influential for me this year: Maribo, Dashie, Phoenyx, Msx, Years, Essel

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NoNamedNN said:

I think new topic should be made for wads made after this topic was originally posted. Because most people wont update their votes and therefore new releases are very low on this list.

I don't know about this, but I think it'd be good to see votes for each year, to see how general consensus (if you can call it that) changed over time.

Posted (edited)

It's a valid argument that most people don't update their votes, so just for fun I made a list of top community's wads that only includes votes from 2023-2024.

So here it is, Community's Top WADs of 2023-2024 (aka list by people who care to update their votes!). I excluded my own votes because currently I'm in the process of playing many new wads.

Spoiler
  • 136 - Sunlust
  • 88 - Going Down
  • 65 - Eviternity
  • 64 - Sunder
  • 59 - Eviternity 2
  • 56 - Overboard
  • 54 - Lost Civilization
  • 53 - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy
  • 52 - Fractured Worlds
  • 46 - Ancient Aliens
  • 42 - Abandon
  • 40 - Speed of Doom
  • 39 - Alien Vendetta
  • 38 - DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH
  • 37 - Valiant
  • 33 - Jumpwad
  • 33 - Magnolia
  • 33 - Scythe 2
  • 32 - Japanese Community Project
  • 30 - Grove
  • 28 - Cyberdreams
  • 28 - Heartland
  • 27 - Stardate 20X7
  • 27 - Tangerine Nightmare
  • 26 - 180 minutes pour vivre
  • 23 - Antaresian Relinquary
  • 23 - Micro Slaughter Community Project
  • 23 - Stardate 20X6
  • 23 - Swim with the Whales
  • 22 - Finely Crafted Fetish Film
  • 21 - SIGIL
  • 20 - A.L.T.
  • 20 - The Plutonia Experiment
  • 18 - Epic 2
  • 18 - TNT: Evilution
  • 17 - Vanguard
  • 16 - Plutonia 2
  • 16 - Resurgence
  • 15 - No End in Sight
  • 15 - Ray Mohawk 2: Ray Wreaks Havoc
  • 15 - Zzul Bases
  • 14 - Miasma
  • 14 - TNT: Revilution
  • 13 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 2 - Tower in the Fountain of Sparks
  • 13 - Counterattack
  • 13 - Dimensions
  • 13 - Haste
  • 13 - Nostalgia
  • 12 - Bauhaus
  • 12 - Doom Zero
  • 12 - Hell Ground
  • 12 - Scythe
  • 12 - The 10x10 Project
  • 11 - Arrival
  • 11 - Comatose
  • 10 - Avactor: End of the Fifth Circle
  • 10 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 3 - Instructions for a Rusty Time Machine
  • 10 - Base Ganymede
  • 10 - Down the Drain
  • 10 - DWANGO5
  • 10 - Hell in Hell
  • 10 - Hocus Doom
  • 10 - Lullaby
  • 10 - Ozonia
  • 10 - Rush
  • 9 - Doom 64 for Doom 2
  • 9 - Equinox
  • 9 - Extermination Day
  • 9 - Nihility: Infinite Teeth
  • 9 - The Adventures of Square
  • 8 - 1000 Lines Community Project 3
  • 8 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 - Get Out of My Stations
  • 8 - Doom II: Hell on Earth
  • 8 - Eviltech
  • 8 - Forsaken Compound
  • 8 - Paradise
  • 8 - The Unholy Trinity
  • 8 - TNT2: Devilution
  • 7 - Chex Quest
  • 7 - Dance on the Water
  • 7 - Memoirs of Magic
  • 7 - Revolution!
  • 7 - Running Late 2
  • 7 - Sacrament
  • 7 - Wormwood: Expanded Universe
  • 7 - Xerxesia
  • 6 - 3 heures d'agonie 3
  • 6 - 50 Shades of Graytall
  • 6 - Abscission
  • 6 - Cheogsh
  • 6 - Earth
  • 6 - Event Horizon
  • 6 - NOVA III
  • 6 - Solar Struggle
  • 6 - Swift Death
  • 6 - The Ultimate Doom
  • 6 - Winter's Fury
  • 5 - 1x1
  • 5 - 3x3: Take Two
  • 5 - 5till A1 Complex
  • 5 - Autophagy
  • 5 - Beed's attempt at a cool arsenal
  • 5 - Darkening Episode 2
  • 5 - DIY
  • 5 - Doom Center
  • 5 - Eden
  • 5 - Elementalism
  • 5 - Elysion
  • 5 - Eternal Doom
  • 5 - Exec
  • 5 - Flotsam
  • 5 - Frozen Time
  • 5 - GOODWAD
  • 5 - Hellbound
  • 5 - Maskim Xul
  • 5 - Memento Mori 2
  • 5 - Occula
  • 5 - Starlight Processing
  • 5 - The Golden Souls 2
  • 5 - Unloved
  • 5 - Verdant Citadel
  • 5 - Whitemare 2
  • 4 - 3 heures d'agonie 2
  • 4 - Crumpets
  • 4 - Cydonia
  • 4 - Doom 2 in Spain Only
  • 4 - Faithless / Faithless Trilogy
  • 4 - Final Doom CE
  • 4 - Flesharmonic
  • 4 - Freedoom: Phase 1
  • 4 - Interception II
  • 4 - Jack Builds a Techbase
  • 4 - Machete
  • 4 - Mutabor
  • 4 - Okuplok Slaughter Map
  • 4 - PPPP
  • 4 - REKKR
  • 4 - Requiem
  • 4 - Serenity
  • 4 - Tarnsman's Projectile Hell
  • 4 - The Bikini Bottom Massacre
  • 4 - The Egg of Human Endeavors
  • 4 - The Given
  • 4 - The Master Levels for Doom II
  • 4 - Wormwood
  • 3 - All Hell Is Breaking Loose!
  • 3 - Altitude
  • 3 - Austrian Avian Association
  • 3 - Batman Doom
  • 3 - Brigandine
  • 3 - Chex Quest 3
  • 3 - Chillax
  • 3 - Cosmogenesis
  • 3 - Dimension of the Boomed
  • 3 - Entropy
  • 3 - Hell Revealed
  • 3 - Holy Hell
  • 3 - IC2005
  • 3 - Journey to Hell
  • 3 - JQ2
  • 3 - Le gars qui a fait Doom
  • 3 - Lunatic
  • 3 - Perdition's Gate
  • 3 - Phobos: Anomaly Reborn
  • 3 - Preacher
  • 3 - Sheer Poison
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 2011
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 2012
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 3
  • 3 - SlaughterMAX
  • 3 - Temporal Tantrum
  • 3 - The Room Below
  • 3 - Toilet of the Gods
  • 3 - Udm3
  • 3 - Ultimate Simplicity
  • 3 - Uroboros
  • 3 - Ventose
  • 3 - Wormwood III: The Horror
  • 2 - 10 Sectors
  • 2 - Altars of Madness
  • 2 - Area 51
  • 2 - Axolotl
  • 2 - Back to Basics
  • 2 - Bourgeois Megawad
  • 2 - Capybara
  • 2 - Cryogenics
  • 2 - Dark7 MPK
  • 2 - DBP: Zeppelin Armada
  • 2 - Disarray
  • 2 - DoomCity
  • 2 - Eternal Slumber Party
  • 2 - Eternal Slumber Party 3
  • 2 - Firefly
  • 2 - Freedoom: Phase 2
  • 2 - Frog and Toad
  • 2 - Good Morning Phobos
  • 2 - Hadephobia
  • 2 - Hellrun
  • 2 - Jamal Jones Trilogy
  • 2 - Literalism
  • 2 - Memento Mori
  • 2 - Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid
  • 2 - Nostalgia 2
  • 2 - NoYe
  • 2 - Orange Is True Love
  • 2 - Pagodia
  • 2 - Poogers
  • 2 - Return to Hadron Trilogy
  • 2 - Sliw
  • 2 - Star Wars Doom 2
  • 2 - Syringe
  • 2 - The Excavation
  • 2 - Uprising
  • 2 - Vesper
  • 2 - Voyager
  • 2 - World Orifice
  • 2 - Wormwood IV
  • 2 - Zen Dynamics
  • 1 - 32 Piece Cliptucky Fried Chicken
  • 1 - Anomaly Report
  • 1 - Assault on Tei Tenga
  • 1 - Atmospheric Extinction
  • 1 - Azazel's Second Descent
  • 1 - Bermuda Triangle
  • 1 - Beta Labs
  • 1 - Cleimos
  • 1 - Crusades
  • 1 - Darkwave17
  • 1 - Death in Excess
  • 1 - Deus Vult II
  • 1 - Devilbuster Dreams
  • 1 - Doom 64
  • 1 - Doom Beneath
  • 1 - Doom Negative One: Beyond the Experiment
  • 1 - Doom the Way id Did
  • 1 - Doomkid's Mega Episode 1
  • 1 - Doomsday of UAC
  • 1 - Dub's Double Feature
  • 1 - Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblvion
  • 1 - Exomoon
  • 1 - Galaxia
  • 1 - Grindfest
  • 1 - Hardfest
  • 1 - Hoover Dam
  • 1 - Hotel Hell
  • 1 - Hydrosphere
  • 1 - Impossible: A New Reality
  • 1 - Industrial
  • 1 - Meowgi's Practice Hub
  • 1 - Mutiny
  • 1 - My House
  • 1 - No Chance
  • 1 - No Rest for the Living
  • 1 - Northern Powerhouse
  • 1 - Nova II: A New Dawn
  • 1 - Osiris
  • 1 - Pandora
  • 1 - Phobos
  • 1 - Reign of the Spider Gods
  • 1 - Shades of Azure
  • 1 - Slith
  • 1 - Strife: Veteran Edition
  • 1 - Thatcher's Techbase
  • 1 - The Far Side of Phobos
  • 1 - The Great Dog Escape
  • 1 - The Long Trek Back Home
  • 1 - The Pilgrim's Westward Way
  • 1 - The Walls
  • 1 - Three's a Crowd
  • 1 - THT: Threnody
  • 1 - TNT: Threevilution
  • 1 - URE2020
  • 1 - WAD

List of people who voted in 2023-24:

apichatpong, Ar_e_en, Archvile Hunter, Astro X, Azure_Horror, baja blast rd., continuum.mid, D0M0, Dheta, dististik, Donowa, doombedoom, Doomkid, ebrl, El Inferno, elborbahquarama, Ennello, faad3e, Flytrap, Geniraul, gudermannian function, JackDBS, jmac, Kinetic, LadyMistDragon, LegendaryEevee, Logamuffin, Maribo, Monsieur E, MtPain27, MundyC, netcurse2000, NiGHTS108, Omniarch, Pancrasio, PBeGood, Pixel Fiend, Plerb, Ravendesk, ReaperAA, Red Recluse, RHhe82, Snaxalotl, TheLippyServer, thesoulingredient, treulosetomate

(I probably made a mistake somewhere because compiling all these votes was exhausting.)

Edited by Li'l devil

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Li'l devil said:

It's a valid argument that most people don't update their votes, so just for fun I made a list of top community's wads that only includes votes from 2023-2024.

So here it is, Community's Top WADs of 2023-2024 (aka list by people who care to update their votes!). I excluded my own votes because currently I'm in the process of playing many new wads.

Reveal hidden contents
  • 136 - Sunlust
  • 88 - Going Down
  • 65 - Eviternity
  • 64 - Sunder
  • 59 - Eviternity 2
  • 56 - Overboard
  • 54 - Lost Civilization
  • 53 - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy
  • 52 - Fractured Worlds
  • 46 - Ancient Aliens
  • 42 - Abandon
  • 40 - Speed of Doom
  • 39 - Alien Vendetta
  • 38 - DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH
  • 37 - Valiant
  • 33 - Jumpwad
  • 33 - Magnolia
  • 33 - Scythe 2
  • 32 - Japanese Community Project
  • 30 - Grove
  • 28 - Cyberdreams
  • 28 - Heartland
  • 27 - Stardate 20X7
  • 27 - Tangerine Nightmare
  • 26 - 180 minutes pour vivre
  • 23 - Antaresian Relinquary
  • 23 - Micro Slaughter Community Project
  • 23 - Stardate 20X6
  • 23 - Swim with the Whales
  • 22 - Finely Crafted Fetish Film
  • 21 - SIGIL
  • 20 - A.L.T.
  • 20 - The Plutonia Experiment
  • 18 - Epic 2
  • 18 - TNT: Evilution
  • 17 - Vanguard
  • 16 - Plutonia 2
  • 16 - Resurgence
  • 15 - No End in Sight
  • 15 - Ray Mohawk 2: Ray Wreaks Havoc
  • 15 - Zzul Bases
  • 14 - Miasma
  • 14 - TNT: Revilution
  • 13 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 2 - Tower in the Fountain of Sparks
  • 13 - Counterattack
  • 13 - Dimensions
  • 13 - Haste
  • 13 - Nostalgia
  • 12 - Bauhaus
  • 12 - Doom Zero
  • 12 - Hell Ground
  • 12 - Scythe
  • 12 - The 10x10 Project
  • 11 - Arrival
  • 11 - Comatose
  • 10 - Avactor: End of the Fifth Circle
  • 10 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 3 - Instructions for a Rusty Time Machine
  • 10 - Base Ganymede
  • 10 - Down the Drain
  • 10 - DWANGO5
  • 10 - Hell in Hell
  • 10 - Hocus Doom
  • 10 - Lullaby
  • 10 - Ozonia
  • 10 - Rush
  • 9 - Doom 64 for Doom 2
  • 9 - Equinox
  • 9 - Extermination Day
  • 9 - Nihility: Infinite Teeth
  • 9 - The Adventures of Square
  • 8 - 1000 Lines Community Project 3
  • 8 - Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 - Get Out of My Stations
  • 8 - Doom II: Hell on Earth
  • 8 - Eviltech
  • 8 - Forsaken Compound
  • 8 - Paradise
  • 8 - The Unholy Trinity
  • 8 - TNT2: Devilution
  • 7 - Chex Quest
  • 7 - Dance on the Water
  • 7 - Memoirs of Magic
  • 7 - Revolution!
  • 7 - Running Late 2
  • 7 - Sacrament
  • 7 - Wormwood: Expanded Universe
  • 7 - Xerxesia
  • 6 - 3 heures d'agonie 3
  • 6 - 50 Shades of Graytall
  • 6 - Abscission
  • 6 - Cheogsh
  • 6 - Earth
  • 6 - Event Horizon
  • 6 - NOVA III
  • 6 - Solar Struggle
  • 6 - Swift Death
  • 6 - The Ultimate Doom
  • 6 - Winter's Fury
  • 5 - 1x1
  • 5 - 3x3: Take Two
  • 5 - 5till A1 Complex
  • 5 - Autophagy
  • 5 - Beed's attempt at a cool arsenal
  • 5 - Darkening Episode 2
  • 5 - DIY
  • 5 - Doom Center
  • 5 - Eden
  • 5 - Elementalism
  • 5 - Elysion
  • 5 - Eternal Doom
  • 5 - Exec
  • 5 - Flotsam
  • 5 - Frozen Time
  • 5 - GOODWAD
  • 5 - Hellbound
  • 5 - Maskim Xul
  • 5 - Memento Mori 2
  • 5 - Occula
  • 5 - Starlight Processing
  • 5 - The Golden Souls 2
  • 5 - Unloved
  • 5 - Verdant Citadel
  • 5 - Whitemare 2
  • 4 - 3 heures d'agonie 2
  • 4 - Crumpets
  • 4 - Cydonia
  • 4 - Doom 2 in Spain Only
  • 4 - Faithless / Faithless Trilogy
  • 4 - Final Doom CE
  • 4 - Flesharmonic
  • 4 - Freedoom: Phase 1
  • 4 - Interception II
  • 4 - Jack Builds a Techbase
  • 4 - Machete
  • 4 - Mutabor
  • 4 - Okuplok Slaughter Map
  • 4 - PPPP
  • 4 - REKKR
  • 4 - Requiem
  • 4 - Serenity
  • 4 - Tarnsman's Projectile Hell
  • 4 - The Bikini Bottom Massacre
  • 4 - The Egg of Human Endeavors
  • 4 - The Given
  • 4 - The Master Levels for Doom II
  • 4 - Wormwood
  • 3 - All Hell Is Breaking Loose!
  • 3 - Altitude
  • 3 - Austrian Avian Association
  • 3 - Batman Doom
  • 3 - Brigandine
  • 3 - Chex Quest 3
  • 3 - Chillax
  • 3 - Cosmogenesis
  • 3 - Dimension of the Boomed
  • 3 - Entropy
  • 3 - Hell Revealed
  • 3 - Holy Hell
  • 3 - IC2005
  • 3 - Journey to Hell
  • 3 - JQ2
  • 3 - Le gars qui a fait Doom
  • 3 - Lunatic
  • 3 - Perdition's Gate
  • 3 - Phobos: Anomaly Reborn
  • 3 - Preacher
  • 3 - Sheer Poison
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 2011
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 2012
  • 3 - Slaughterfest 3
  • 3 - SlaughterMAX
  • 3 - Temporal Tantrum
  • 3 - The Room Below
  • 3 - Toilet of the Gods
  • 3 - Udm3
  • 3 - Ultimate Simplicity
  • 3 - Uroboros
  • 3 - Ventose
  • 3 - Wormwood III: The Horror
  • 2 - 10 Sectors
  • 2 - Altars of Madness
  • 2 - Area 51
  • 2 - Axolotl
  • 2 - Back to Basics
  • 2 - Bourgeois Megawad
  • 2 - Capybara
  • 2 - Cryogenics
  • 2 - Dark7 MPK
  • 2 - DBP: Zeppelin Armada
  • 2 - Disarray
  • 2 - DoomCity
  • 2 - Eternal Slumber Party
  • 2 - Eternal Slumber Party 3
  • 2 - Firefly
  • 2 - Freedoom: Phase 2
  • 2 - Frog and Toad
  • 2 - Good Morning Phobos
  • 2 - Hadephobia
  • 2 - Hellrun
  • 2 - Jamal Jones Trilogy
  • 2 - Literalism
  • 2 - Memento Mori
  • 2 - Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid
  • 2 - Nostalgia 2
  • 2 - NoYe
  • 2 - Orange Is True Love
  • 2 - Pagodia
  • 2 - Poogers
  • 2 - Return to Hadron Trilogy
  • 2 - Sliw
  • 2 - Star Wars Doom 2
  • 2 - Syringe
  • 2 - The Excavation
  • 2 - Uprising
  • 2 - Vesper
  • 2 - Voyager
  • 2 - World Orifice
  • 2 - Wormwood IV
  • 2 - Zen Dynamics
  • 1 - 32 Piece Cliptucky Fried Chicken
  • 1 - Anomaly Report
  • 1 - Assault on Tei Tenga
  • 1 - Atmospheric Extinction
  • 1 - Azazel's Second Descent
  • 1 - Bermuda Triangle
  • 1 - Beta Labs
  • 1 - Cleimos
  • 1 - Crusades
  • 1 - Darkwave17
  • 1 - Death in Excess
  • 1 - Deus Vult II
  • 1 - Devilbuster Dreams
  • 1 - Doom 64
  • 1 - Doom Beneath
  • 1 - Doom Negative One: Beyond the Experiment
  • 1 - Doom the Way id Did
  • 1 - Doomkid's Mega Episode 1
  • 1 - Doomsday of UAC
  • 1 - Dub's Double Feature
  • 1 - Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblvion
  • 1 - Exomoon
  • 1 - Galaxia
  • 1 - Grindfest
  • 1 - Hardfest
  • 1 - Hoover Dam
  • 1 - Hotel Hell
  • 1 - Hydrosphere
  • 1 - Impossible: A New Reality
  • 1 - Industrial
  • 1 - Meowgi's Practice Hub
  • 1 - Mutiny
  • 1 - My House
  • 1 - No Chance
  • 1 - No Rest for the Living
  • 1 - Northern Powerhouse
  • 1 - Nova II: A New Dawn
  • 1 - Osiris
  • 1 - Pandora
  • 1 - Phobos
  • 1 - Reign of the Spider Gods
  • 1 - Shades of Azure
  • 1 - Slith
  • 1 - Strife: Veteran Edition
  • 1 - Thatcher's Techbase
  • 1 - The Far Side of Phobos
  • 1 - The Great Dog Escape
  • 1 - The Long Trek Back Home
  • 1 - The Pilgrim's Westward Way
  • 1 - The Walls
  • 1 - Three's a Crowd
  • 1 - THT: Threnody
  • 1 - TNT: Threevilution
  • 1 - URE2020
  • 1 - WAD

List of people who voted in 2023-24:

apichatpong, Ar_e_en, Archvile Hunter, Astro X, Azure_Horror, baja blast rd., continuum.mid, D0M0, Dheta, dististik, Donowa, doombedoom, Doomkid, ebrl, El Inferno, elborbahquarama, Ennello, faad3e, Flytrap, Geniraul, gudermannian function, JackDBS, jmac, Kinetic, LadyMistDragon, LegendaryEevee, Logamuffin, Maribo, Monsieur E, MtPain27, MundyC, netcurse2000, NiGHTS108, Omniarch, Pancrasio, PBeGood, Pixel Fiend, Plerb, Ravendesk, ReaperAA, Red Recluse, RHhe82, Snaxalotl, TheLippyServer, thesoulingredient, treulosetomate

(I probably made a mistake somewhere because compiling all these votes was exhausting.)

Interesting! Sunlust holds its ground steadily, it seems, deservedly - it's a little shocking that Ancient Aliens drops as much as it does, though! And a little "shocking" (sarcasm, wink wink) that I couldn't spot former top-10 WAD Hell Revealed from the list, how is that even possible :P

EDIT: Except it's still there. But far from top positions...

@RHhe82 AV and Cyberdreams aside, other classic wads are either low on the list (Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requem, Eternal Doom) or not even present (Icarus). The change in attitude towards older works would be an interesting topic of discussion, personally I attribute this to an influx of new players and greatly improved quality of mapping in the last 15 years.

Posted (edited)

Some charts. As expected, most people don't update their votes (that's okay). 187 users voted only once, 34 users updated their votes once, 10 updated their votes 2 times, and another 10 updated their votes more than 2 times:

image.png.f59eb62e3895c41d6cd89359081c1c86.png

How much votes in certain years affect the current list:

image.png.2a21c62ffd38e96a3f6e27d9f69c14f7.png

The most impactful year is still 2017, when the original thread was started. Year 2019, when the thread was resurrected, is unremarkable. 2021 and 2022 are rather productive.

As I've added vote years to the spreadsheet, I may be able to produce WAD lists by vote years later, if my spreadsheet kung fu allows.

Unrelated notes:

• There are a lot of old nicknames in the list. If you prefer your current nickname to be in the list, please let me know!
  • There were two single-wad voters in the list. Their votes are removed. I probably forgot the rules when I added them. Please vote for at least 5 wads!

On 7/28/2024 at 9:17 AM, Celestin said:

@RHhe82 AV and Cyberdreams aside, other classic wads are either low on the list (Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requem, Eternal Doom) or not even present (Icarus). The change in attitude towards older works would be an interesting topic of discussion, personally I attribute this to an influx of new players and greatly improved quality of mapping in the last 15 years.

I don't think there's any attitude change here. 2017 is such a different time than the present day when it comes to abundance, so it was more likely for people to gravitate on fewer big name wads. And 2017-2019 "vote once and done" people can be a very different player (or a snapshot of a very different player) than those regularly refreshing their lists. So the whole list and the subset are measuring different things. A lot of somewhat more modern classic staples are also lower (Plutonia 2, Ancient Aliens, Scythe 1 and 2, BTSX e1 and e2, etc.). 

Also, the median number of points for a wad on the 2023+ subset is 4. 75% of the wads on the list have 9 or fewer points, and 1-9 points is all kind of similar in what that means. So I don't think that is "low on the list." I would just consider the whole "long tail" the default for anything that makes it.

With 47 voters, small sample size is very much a thing too. lil devil counting her own score would singlehandedly double the # of points all those classic wads apart from AV/Cyberdreams got (and add STRAIN and Icarus to that list). Cutoffs can change a lot too. Poogers got nearly all of its 49 points in 2022 so it would probably be a top-20 wad in the "2022-2024" subset even if it has 2 points here. So it's a fun exercise but I wouldn't take everything at face value. 

Woah! It is list
for Fun

(10) The Sky May Be ( it is unusual and it is silly. i like it! )

(10) I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU ANY THING
(8) Vesper
(8) Tarnsman's Projectile Hell ( the first episode is nostalgic! reminds me of cooked steak )
(6) Knee-Deep in Knee-Deep in ZDoom
(3) Grove
(3) Japanese Community Project

(3) Ray Mohawk 2 ( i enjoy wads with dehacked changes, yes )
(2) Abscission
(2) bloog.wad

This put the thought: "I haven't played many PWADS..." in my brain. It might be true.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for maintaining this thread, it's a wonderful resource for discovering new stuff. Especially pre-honorable mentions, the Cacowards couldn't mention nearly everything worth playing.

I'm going to start with

10 - Going Down

10 - Alien Vendetta

8 - Legacy of Rust

8 - Tangerine Nightmare

7 - Hellcore 2.0

6 - Hell Ground

6 - Overboard

Edited by Canjul

On 4/17/2024 at 12:28 AM, NiGHTS108 said:

Been a long time, think I'll change again

10 - Sunlust

9 - Tangerine Nightmare

9 - Speed Of Doom

9 - Scythe II

9 - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

9 - Back To Saturn X: Episode 2 

Eh you know what, hasn't been too long but I'll change again

10 - Junkfood 3: Wow Wow West

10 - Goodwad

10 - I CANT GIVE YOU ANY THING

10 - Italo-Doom

10 - Twogers

And I guess I need 10 . . . so . . .

1 - Revenant Hallway

1 - Ode2Dubzzz

1 - THISSUXX

1 - D5DA4ever

1 - Down The Drain

(If I could, I'd give 1 point to the IdGames random file button itself)