Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stupid Bunny

EXTRA BEANY CANNED DOOM! 32 funky fun-sized maps in 32 fun flavors – now on /idgames

OMG you finally did it!! 

Kudos 

Lots of wacky out of the box unique random ideas here worth checking out if you're sick of the old samey same 

Well done man had a pleasure playing most of these

Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun. I will definitely try it out.

Posted (edited)

This is cool stuff! I have enjoyed what I have played so far :)

Haven't downloaded it yet but I'm obsessed with the concept of "Keen Mustn't Die".

This disappeared for a year...and I wondered what happened. Congrats on the release!!!

9 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

can.png

doom-small-what-the-hell-is-this.png

This is a full megawad of funky, gimmicky and mostly small maps with a wide variety of themes, ideas, and gameplay styles.  There's a bit of something in here for everybody: run-and-gun action, suspense and atmosphere, slaughter, indoor maps, outdoor maps, hell maps, space maps, classic-style, '94-style and some whackadoo shit I can't even give a description to, to name just a few.  You'll just have to get your feet wet and see for yourself!

You may have played some of these in their previous incarnation, back when this was just a handful of silly little speedmaps I was throwing out.  In fact it really started as a single map (that's MAP18 now) which I contributed to @Dusty_Rhodes neat speedmapping thread at the time (without which/whom this absolutely would not have happened).  It got me rethinking my usual mapping workflow and penchant for making really big maps, helping me keep down sprawl and put down map features without overthinking any of it too much.  It still took two and a half years to get the whole thing done but that's been with a lot of other things going on.

The mapping process (theoretically) went something like this:

🫘30 minutes to draw the overall layout, inc. rooms, sector heights, doors, lifts etc.
        🫘minutes to texture, place monsters, add detail if time permits
        🫘minutes to tweak it until I actually like it

Actual build times mostly between 1.5 and 10 hours because I either forgot the rules or made layouts that were way too ambitious. At any rate in spite of the "speedmap" genesis of the idea I didn't forbid myself from going back and modifying maps to make them more fun or more fully realized—as long as I wasn't adding entire new areas and only adjusting what was already there. Nonetheless speed remained core to the project because I'm a busy man and I knew it would never see the light of day or just peter out otherwise (see my other much more long-festering mapping project.)

Why "Extra Beany Canned Doom"? Because:

🫘Like beans, the maps are small and proteiny
        🫘Also like beans, there are exactly 32 of them
        🫘Like canned food, the maps are quick to make and play
        🫘Like Doom, the maps are full of Doom enemies and textures
        🫘"Beany" is a funny word lol beany
        🫘I actually hate beans so I'm motivated to make the maps extra good to compensate

Special thanks to all the playtesters who contributed in ways great and very great to making this less of an incoherent mess than it would have been otherwise.  @baja blast rd. @Biodegradable @CBM @Clippy @Dubbag @Dusty_Rhodes @FEDEX @Fernito @Gibbon jade @kalensar @Kyka @LadyMistDragon @LoatharMDPhD @Maribo @Nefelibeta NightriderDoom @Origamyde @azerty @P41R47 @Sesamia @Silhouette 03 @slugger @thiccyosh @xdarkmasterx Thanks all for being subjected to this madness 

Additional credits:

Hide contents

TEXTURES
========
Patched Up Textures (PatchTex.wad) by @Gothic (absolutely love these)
Doom I Textures (d1gfxd2.wad) by id Software, of course; compiled by SargeBaldy
Lavafall from GothicTX by Gothic Team
Railing and waterfall from PLUTONIA.WAD
Cloudy sky from Claustrophobia 1024 2 texture pack
Hell sky from DOOM.WAD
Space sky from nitesky.zip (1997, 2005) by Rich "Weeds" Nagel
All other artwork by Stupid Bunny

TOOLS
=====
Ultimate Doom Builder
Doom Builder X
SLADE
WhackEd 4
DoomMake

MUSIC
=====
TITLE: Footloose by Kenny Loggins; sequenced by unknown
INTERLEVEL: Breaking the Chains by Dokken; sequenced by unknown
INTERMISSION: Game Theme by unknown (SimAnt)
MAP01: overp2.mid by unknown (Hyperball)
MAP02: Too Many Puppies by Primus; sequenced by unknown
MAP03: Great Temple by Daniel Bernstein (Blood)
MAP04: Suspense by Robert Prince (Wolfenstein 3D)
MAP05: Dark Halls by Robert Prince (Doom)
MAP06: More by Tom Mustaine (TNT: Evilution)
MAP07: Dark Carnival by Daniel Bernstein (Blood)
MAP08: Untitled (Floor 3, 21) by Joe Abbati (Corridor 7)
MAP09: Blackmarsh by Kevin Schilder (Hexen II)
MAP10: Space Pirate Statue Chamber by Yamamoto Kenji and Hamano Minako (Super Metroid); Sequenced by Unknown
MAP11: Departure by Lee Jackson (Duke Nukem 3D)
MAP12: Octo by Kevin Schilder (Hexen)
MAP13: Infinite by Tom Mustaine (TNT: Evilution)
MAP14: Robot Hive (Keen GBC); Sequenced by Xkylyr Rauh
MAP15: Untitled by Robert Prince (Doom)
MAP16: Pee Wee's Big Adventure (Theme) by Danny Elfman; sequenced by unknown
MAP17: Running from Evil by Robert Prince (Doom II)
MAP18: Adrian's Asleep by Robert Prince (Doom II)
MAP19: Hellero by Robert Prince (Rise of the Triad)
MAP20: Pissed by @leejacksonaudio (Duke Nukem 3D)
MAP21: Soarin' Over the Space by Jun Senoue (Sonic Adventure 2); sequenced by unknown 
MAP22: Song 7/Letni by Robert Allen (Jazz Jackrabbit)
MAP23: The Silent Base by mxbobbie49
MAP24: Wave Music 5 by Matt Murphy (Raptor: Call of the Shadows)
MAP25: Jupiter by Dan Froelich (Jill of the Jungle); Sequenced by Dan Froelich and modified by Stupid Bunny
MAP26: Cyborg by @Immorpher
MAP27: War Song by StĂ©phane Picq (Dune) 
MAP28: Plutopia by @Jimmy
MAP29: SA-X Arrival by Shinji Hosoe (Metroid Fusion; Sequenced by unknown)
MAP30: Corner.mod (Terminal Velocity); sequenced by Eternal for eclipse.wad
MAP31: Pacman by Bobby Prince (Wolfenstein 3D)
MAP32: Don't Metal With Me! by Bobby Prince (Commander Keen IV); sequenced by Xkylyr Rauh

Make sure to check the "how to play" and especially the big conspicuous "READ THIS" sections below.  Beyond that, enjoy, and let me know if anything is broken so that I can unbreak it for everyone.  I'll fix anything that's egregiously busted and maybe do some rebalancing if something is off from the difficulty intended (maybe start with Hurt Me Plenty if it's your first time), but for the most part this should be done and I should be ready to move on with my life

doom-small-the-story.png

Behold, the miracle of birth! Today we are witness to the hatching of the doomguy from its egg, truly one of the wonders of nature. Watch as it eats the gibs left behind by its mother, made of the remains of her mate.

What lies ahead for this young doomguy as it emerges from its nest? Most likely, ripping and tearing, and the struggle for survival that all beasts must face. The little doomguy wastes no time: look, a chainsaw left behind by loggers! Time for him to go gather some tasty, juicy gibs of his own, before the next mating season commences.

doom-small-how-to-play.png

🫘Play with any limit-removing source port — it's mostly tested in Crispy but they all should work in GZDoom, DSDA-Doom, Eternity and the other limit-removing ports, and each map has been tested in them (but see below)

🫘Single player 

🫘Freelook permitted, that's how I tested it

🚫No jumping or crouching

The difficulty levels are loosely balanced as such (noting that I am bad at Doom and that limits my ability to properly balance for UV):

🫘ITYTD: Go for it!  A nice way to casually experience the maps with minimal pressure or frustration.
        🫘HNTR: Same as HMP, but with fewer monsters.  Balanced to be a gentle challenge for people who are new or just want a relaxed time
        🫘HMP: The "default" difficulty, recommended for first time playthrough unless you're looking for a challenge.  Same monster count as UV but with more kit. 
        🫘UV: It will get pretty hard sometimes but definitely not god level.  Same monster count as HMP but with less health/ammo/arms
        ☠️N!: lol no

All maps are tested from pistol start—you can play them continuous, but if your port supports the -pistolstart flag or equivalent then I recommend it (see below).  The maps are a hodgepodge of ideas with only the barest progression in theme or difficulty.  So if you aren't enjoying a map go ahead and skip it!  That's what God made idclev for (but I hope you enjoy most of the maps at least)

doom-bigupper-read-this.png

Reveal hidden contents

Since couple of maps take advantage of weird gimmicks like ghost monsters and some obscure-ish bugs with floor movement, make sure the following settings are set to YES in your favorite port:    

doom-small-required-settings.png

⚠️Use exactly Doom's floor motion behavior
        ⚠️Ghost monsters on

doom-small-highly-recommended-settings.p

Infinitely tall actors off (if applicable)
        Lost soul limit off (you know you want to)

doom-small-optional-settings-that-i-like

🫘Freelook enabled/autoaim disabled (if you use a mouse)
        🫘Playing with -pistolstart parameter (supported by Crispy, DSDA, Woof!, some others)

I have the COMPLVL lump in there so if you are using a current version of GZDoom, DSDA, Nugget, Woof!, or some others then it *should* set some of these for you. However it may be good to check them nonetheless because a couple maps WILL break otherwise, and COMPLVL support is still rudimentary in GZDoom.

🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘

doom-bigfont-download.png

RC1 - 5/13/2024

🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘🫘

doom-small-screenshots.png

Reveal hidden contents

Here's just a sampling of what you'll get to do in this adventure:

DOOM0136.png

DOOM0068.png

DOOM0075.png

DOOM0086.png

DOOM0072.png

DOOM0088.png

DOOM0069.png

DOOM0105.png

DOOM0127.png

DOOM0092.png

doom-small-map-list.png

Reveal hidden contents

Build times should be taken as tentative because half the time I forgot to run the timer and also times in many cases exclude a lot of post-playtest tweaking and adjusting

-- EPISODE I: HELL IS EARTH ------------------------------------------------

MAP01: Intro to Forestry
    Build time: 2.5 hours
    Finished: 12/17/2021
        Kill all of the invasive demons ruining this beautiful peaceful forest

MAP02: Beware the Beast Man
    Build time: 5 hours
    Finished: 1/6/2022
        ...for he is the Devil’s pawn. Alone among God’s primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother’s land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

MAP03: Bad Neighbo(u)rs
    Build time: 1.5 hours + like 3 more hours making it look pretty and stuff 
    Finished: 8/27/2022
        This is the last time they don't give your lawnmower back! Get in there and teach the deadbeats a lesson

MAP04: Gnatsies
    Build time: 2 hours
    Finished: 11/21/2021
        The UAC has made friends with someone even more horrible than the Devil! Get in there and kill the shit out of their fascist asses

MAP05: Toxin Command Processing
    Build time: 6 hours
    Finished: 9/22/2022
        Essential part of the Phobos Base, located just down the road from the Station Control Lab Anomaly Center

MAP06: The T.T.P. Project
    Build time: 2.5 hours
        What does "TTP" stand for? Anyway see what the UAC scientists have been cooking up, and maybe stop it or something idk

MAP07: Carnival Games
    Finished: 12/2/2021
        Yay, the carnival's in town! Let's head to the fairgrounds down by the blood treatment plant and have ourselves a rip snortin good time 

MAP08: Knot Seize
    Build time: 4 hours
    Finished: 2/9/2023
        Not another Nazi fortress! Seize Fort Knot and destroy the evil within

MAP09: Fort Doomguy
    Build time: 3-4 hours
    Finished: 11/21/2021
        Sneak in, neutralize the enemy, and get the hell out. And don't get burned by the sentries

MAP10: Cyber Bullies
    Build time: 3 hours
    Finished: 9/24/2022
        Those mean ol cyberdouches chased you into the tunnels under the school and are about to give you the swirlie of a lifetime! See if you can get the drop on them and finally give them their comeuppance

MAP11: Bikini Atoll
    Build time: 5 hours
    Finished: 2/10/2023
        Uh oh, looks like it's not the way your grandpa remembers it when he visited in 1954 :( I guess this is one island vacation you won't be relaxing through

-- EPISODE II: INFERNAL AFFAIRS --------------------------------------------

MAP12: Stairway to Hell
    Build time: 7 hours
    Finished: 2/26/2023
        Don't let your knees get sore going down all these stairs

MAP13: Cathedral of Rust
    Build time: 3.5 hours
    Finished: 12/25/2021
        Throw the Three Holy Switches of Oxidation and enter the Corroded Sanctuary to kill the Big Rusty Bishops within, only then will the sacrament of Eucharust be complete

MAP14: Keen Mustn't Die!
    Finished: 9/16/2022
        Pro-Gannalech extremists have kidnapped a bunch of Commander Keens!  Get in there, save the Billys and neutralize the terrorist threat.  And be careful, if all the hostages die then the ATF will bust in and handle things their way

MAP15: Fortress of Mystery
    Finished: 12/10/2021
        An ancient tale of demonic rivalry, mystery, and fortresses plays out in slightly new form. Maybe with a new mystery or two to boot

MAP16: You Asked for This
    Finished: 9/23/2023
        Doomguy decides it's time to check out some monster poles
        AUTHOR'S NOTE: This map was made in response to a poll that Clippy did in which folks chose their favorite monster, tournament style until one was the winner. The number of times they appear here is exactly as many as they appeared in the tournament, so logically the more of them there are the more well liked they should be. Enjoyyyyyy

MAP17: map01.wad
    Finished: 9/18/2022
        sup im new here anyway this is just some stupid shit i through together check it out or dont watever idc www.fileorangutan.rs/f/69420/map01.wad

MAP18: Angry Chair
    Build time: 1.5 hours
    Finished: 11/15/2021
        Sitting on an angry chair
        Now Doomguy wants to sit there
        But first he'll get a nasty scare
        SPIDERS AND ARCHIES FOR DAYS (heeeey)
        STOP READING THIS NONSENSE AND PLAY (hooooooo)
        AUTHOR'S NOTE: The map that started all this madness. The one with the shortest build time and still probably the best of the lot

MAP19: Kill the Fat Marshal
    Build time: 3-4 hours
    Finished: 8/21/2022
        Find and kill Hermann Göring, shoot Hitler right in his face and end this Nazi shit once and for all

MAP20: Satan's PC
    Build time: 12 hours
    Finished: 2/3/2023
        Satan's computer has a virus...and it's YOU! Defeat Satan's antivirus and brick his PC before he DMs photos of your feet to everyone on Doomworld

-- EPISODE III: SPACE MADNESS ----------------------------------------------

MAP21: SPACE!!!111!!11!one!
    Finished: 12/19/2023
        You arrive in the FUTURE where you board a big shiny space station, expecting to meet lots of friendly and helpful humans that will give you hugs, and not monsters or anything lame like that

MAP22: The Demon Dig
    Finished: 11/29/2021
        Doomguy came for donuts and all he got was some kind of shitty open pit mining project full of demons

MAP23: Chromoid Labs, 1024
    Build time: 3 hours
        Dr. Archibald V. Ile has been collecting research grants for years and the endowment wants you to go in and see what their funding has been going towards. Whatever it is it fucking sure better not be demon related

MAP24: Call of the Shadows
    Finished: 3/14/2023
        In the shadowy Archaean lava tubes of the Moon you find a long-abandoned UAC base. What killed the researchers who had been based here? Do I even need to ask? Fun fact shadows are darker on the Moon due to lack of atmospheric light scattering

MAP25: Gorignak
    Finished: 9/18/2022
        Those damn dirty aliens have thrown you in the execution pit.  Can you survive the onslaught of their battle beasts?

MAP26: The Imp*erial Engine
    Build time: 6 hours give or take many many many hours of tweaking
    Finished: 10/3/2023
        You find yourself at the heart of a great and terrible machine. You don't know what it does, but you should probably hit the STOP button before the imp-lications of its power become clear

MAP27: Dome of Darkness
    Finished: 3/21/2023
        Survive the challenges that lie within the Dome.  Grappling hook and Second Dome not included

MAP28: Panopticon
    Build time: Around 16 hours
    Finished: 5/11/2024
        A utopian City of Tomorrow under the stewardship of the Great Eye, the Watchful Guardian, It who once awakened shall never sleep.  Built to guard the inhabitants against the terrors of Hell, It believes that the only cure for a scourge of demons, is an even bigger scourge of demons

MAP29: Fever Dream
    Build time: a million billion hours
    Finished: 4/18/2024
        "Oh no, I think I have the flu", urghles Doomguy as he rolls into bed, "Or maybe it was all those baked bean and sauerkraut pizzas I just ate." Either way, it's gonna be a rough night ahead for our hero and the brave wastebasket by his bedside        

MAP30: The Many-Eyed God
    Finished: 3/9/2024
        Confront the final evil in its Doomy lair, and reckon that there is no escape but still there may yet be victory....

(And then two secret maps ;3333 )

Beans! Beans! We want beans! 🫘 congrats, Bunny, this sounds delightfully dank! 😎🙏

Congrats on the release @Stupid Bunny!!!! This WAD is pure unhinged fun, do yourself a favor and go play it asap! 

Posted (edited)

Thanks all!  I hope with all the weird ideas it will balance out to being at least 75% a good time for everyone.

@Clippy appreciate it + the support throughout the process and playthrough vids for every map I released before the project went underground...and additional credit for the monster pole that made MAP16 possible (I didn't change the Pee Wee midi btw sorry (or am I?) to @Doomkid and everybody else's ears who plays it ;3 Remember you had an exceptionally good time with Angry Chair, hope whatever kind of inspiration got farted out in that map made it into the others.

Thanks @obake! Hope it’s a good time, would be honored to find out Santa Claus enjoyed my handiwork

@CBM good to hear! I think some of the ones I sent you for testing were among the more…questionable ones at least at the time so hopefully you’ve yet to see the best on offer here 

@Plerb That map was a lot of fun to make, and maybe I could have realized the concept a little better with extra time or thought or whatever but I still mostly like how it came out.  You'll be very pleased to know btw that's not the only Keen reference in the set ;3333 You may see some textures that you recognize from another forum a long time ago.  

@LadyMistDragon as mentioned above the project went into secret mode after I was about halfway through!  Although I won't pretend I was working on it that whole time.  I'm not sure how I had time to work on it at all, tbh I probably really didn't but finally at long last it is here for all to see.  Appreciate that you were wondering about it, hope was a fun surprise

@EduardoAndFriends dank, or jank?  Maybe both.  

@Biodegradable appreciate all your playthrough videos too, considering whether to change my pfp to the cacobunny for the time being (the only thing to survive from the old dogshit title screen along with Kenny Loggins I guess)

@ALilGrayBoi I had to look that up, and still don't really get it, but thanks :p

@Fernito Your feedback was super helpful through all this, really constructive and at least most of the time seemed to be an enjoyable experience for you too lol.  Hope other folks also enjoy all the unhingedness

Edited by Stupid Bunny

Posted (edited)

I'm on MAP08 rn and I can't for the life of me figure out how to open this door leading to the red key. Hope I'm not missing something painfully obvious... (edit: ok i found the corresponding switch, it could be made more clear tho)

Spoiler

beanydoom-map08.png

It's pretty cool so far! These maps are way more intricate than any of my speedmapping attempts. Granted, the longest I've spent making one was only around 90 minutes (that I timed anyways).

Edited by Plerb

Hah glad you found it eventually. Not telegraphing switches properly is my speciality [obiwan.gif] Believe it or not it used to be even less obvious. Still working on that.

Hope you’re having a good time of it so far! lol at some point these became speedmaps with big giant air quotes around “speed”, both with the amount of tweaking after I initially called them finished and gradually increasing design times (although most of the layouts were still thrown down in 15-30 minutes and not really expanded from that timeframe). MAP29 and MAP32 don’t even pretend to be speedmaps.

you brilliantly described it. its a very funky mapset very fun to play mostly......reminds me of  kamasutra wad...

you very intelligently hide secrets.....gameplay is punchy n constant action 

my fda and first exit uv demo of map 1 to 25 

prboom cl2 demos

1-25.zip

Just beat MAP14, that was a stressful map but very fun. Loved the usage of Keen GBC music as well, for all that game's faults its soundtrack is imo superior to the original Keens. Looking forward to playing MAP32, I have a strong feeling what that map is gonna be ;)

On 5/15/2024 at 10:06 PM, Zahid said:

you brilliantly described it. its a very funky mapset very fun to play mostly......reminds me of  kamasutra wad...

you very intelligently hide secrets.....gameplay is punchy n constant action 

Thanks for playing so far through it!  I like to keep things moving once the action starts, Doom has so many ways to be dynamic and keep the ground moving underneath the player (literally and figuratively ;3 ).  Glad you're having the exprience I was going for mostly.  I think people have compared my maps to Kama Sutra before--still never played it lol.  MAP26 I'm afraid might be a bit of a brick wall on any difficulty without some rebalancing (it has been an endless headache for me) but 27-29 I think are worth the struggle/idclev skip.  Not so sure about the final map lol

I'll hopefully have a bit of time soon to check out your demos, appreciate you sending those along too.

@Plerb I've still never played Keen GBC either, and while also not familiar with the soundtrack I loved this one here when I heard it--Xky came in clutch with the midi-fication of it too.  Hope it was the right fun/stress balance, I tried to lay it out so there would likely be an "oh shit" moment where the player realizes only one Keen is still alive.  Could think of ways the layout might be tweaked but I'm trying to keep these as close to their stream-of-consciousness floorplans as possible.

Your suspicions for MAP32 are 100% correct btw I hope you can find the way to get there

Played the first 2 maps so far. My thoughts are as follows:

01 Intro to Forestry

A fun romp. I was unsure whether I could or couldn't jump at first, so I chose not to. Then I remembered you said not to jump or crouch. I might suggest disabling jumping and crouching via Mapinfo, just to avoid confusion. 

As for the map, it's a fine opener, laid back in its approach to combat. The bestiary used is just right for this type of map.

02 Beware the Beast Man

A huge difficulty jump! Definitely a surprise, but a welcome one. Never have Zombiemen been so threatening. This map is unapologetic in its approach to hitscanners, especially hiding them in windows all over the place. I had lots of fun, but I am guessing this map will be divisive.

I'll give more reviews soon.

Congrats, @Stupid Bunny! I really should play more maps from you. I should play more maps in general tbh. I've only completed one single megawad so far lol so yea... *shrugs*

@obake Thanks!  Reviews like these are always super appreciated (obviously extra happy you've enjoyed at least the first two).  I'm cognizant of the risk inherent in putting a map like this in such an early slot, though part of the problem I guess is that a lot of these have the potential to be divisive :p  I haven't had anybody express more than moderate irritation at all the hitscannery madness here (so far, knock wood etc.) so hopefully it's balanced well enough to mitigate that.

@Astro X  Appreciate it :D I think like 80% of my publicly released maps are in this one wad here so there's not too much to go through lol.  I don't think I've completed a megawad in 15+ years so I can relate hehe.  Unlike my other maps at least these are quite small so I suppose it's a good sampler to play through or even just bounce around to check out the ones that sound neat and such

I've played about half of this so far, up through map 17 (including the secret maps). The gimmickry here isn't for everyone, but there are some fun ideas on display. Difficulty-wise, the maps have all been quite manageable even without saves on UV, and I can certainly see the reduced supplies coming into effect in some places. Despite that, I think UV is a great pick for anyone who can run with modern wads. Many of these maps put their most hectic foot forward, giving way in their later stages with consistent pressure.

I got SPECHITS overflows on several maps, but I'll assume you aren't too worried about demos in Crispy, which should be the only thing affected.

Some additional map-by-map notes (for reference, I played in DSDA Doom on -complevel 2):

Spoiler

map02 - Somehow one of my favorites. I enjoy the way the mancubi are long-lasting enough to provide area denial when the player has only a chaingun.

map03 - This is one of the most intense maps in the set. This had me worried about difficulty going forward, but the other maps have stepped it back.

map08 - I ran into some INTERCEPT overflows on this map, I presume thanks to the hitscanner flood toward the beginning of the map, which has a tendency to create a big pileup at the more claustrophobic teleport exit. Naturally, this is only a problem for Crispy users, who will be faced with the all-ghosts bug.

map12 - The hell knight who is supposed to teleport onto the rocket launcher seems to have gotten stuck, since I blocked him from teleporting initially when grabbing the RL, and because his teleport line is so close to the edge of the closet, he's never able to teleport after that first chance.

map14 - Small HOM on one of the steps that raises.

map15 - Big HOM around the ceiling of the center area after it opens up.

map31 - Very nice concept, especially to access the secret exit. I imagine some people might object to needing to replay the map, but 1. there's not an easy fix for that, and 2. the secret exit playthrough is totally different and worth a second time.

map32 - I generally had trouble reading what was a lift in this map, though that might be a me problem. I took quite a while to use the lift up to the revenant landing by the exit. One issue that added to this reading trouble was the fact that I was blocked from trying to use one of the lifts out of the exit courtyard, since there are other line actions in front of them. Moving those walkover lines could help out a bit.

Excited to see what awaits in the second half!

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 6:23 AM, Stupid Bunny said:

Why "Extra Beany Canned Doom"? Because:

🫘Like beans, the maps are small and proteiny
        🫘Also like beans, there are exactly 32 of them
        🫘Like canned food, the maps are quick to make and play
        🫘Like Doom, the maps are full of Doom enemies and textures
        🫘"Beany" is a funny word lol beany
        🫘I actually hate beans so I'm motivated to make the maps extra good to compensate

Well this got a download out of me.

Edit: Ok had a chance to play the first couple maps. Fun stuff so far. Map 2 is just a riot.

Found this slime trail near the start of map 1.

doom29.png

Edited by TheLippyServer

Posted (edited)

Got to MAP32 and it's great stuff. I'd love to make some maps with these textures someday! I found a bug though. With the blue armor secret, there's a switch on a ledge that lowers some pillars allowing you to access that secret, but how I initially got into it was by straferunning off the ledge:

beanydoom-map32.png

When you access it like this and don't lower the pillars you can get stuck in there. I'm guessing this way of accessing it is unintentional. It'd be nice if there was a way to fix this issue while keeping this way of accessing it, I love secrets where you have to make tricky jumps into places that don't look like they should be accessible.

Also, in MAP31 are you able to backtrack to the pool table starting area? I spent a good while running around aimlessly until I finally gave up and opened it into an editor to see how to get to the secret exit. I just idclipped back in there because I couldn't find a way to go back there otherwise.

(also damn, if I had just made 2 more posts before this one, this could've been my 314th Content :P)

@Large Cat that’s super good to know about the difficulty levels because as mentioned up top I’m crap at playing Doom and so it’s kind of guesswork for me to make UV pretty hard but not to the point that the outcome is totally in the RNG’s hands. I think I’ll leave them as is then since I suppose I don’t want it to become grindy on any difficulty.

MAP03 is one I’d say I’m pretty happy with, tried to use the smallest number of monsters most efficiently (and make it kind of scary too lol).  Somehow it felt right to put it earlier even if it’s harder than much of what comes later.

Thanks for the notes btw I’ve done in to fix most of them. However I can’t spot any HOMs in MAP15, I don’t know if the rising ceiling behaves differently across different ports or dependent on something else I haven’t found yet.

Spoiler

I’m toying with the idea in MAP31 of allowing the player to go back up to the table from the secret, but only if they don’t get the mega and invulnerability—that way the secret map is accessible no matter which weapon you choose (and you get the additional “no weapon” option in the secret!) but it may be more interesting to just keep it as is. 

@TheLippyServer if you like pain elemental spam too then you should play more of my maps ;3 happy folks are mostly enjoying MAP02 much more than I expected, hope the good times keep rolling

@Plerb neat! I think I’ll maybe make that the only way to get to that secret and repurpose the switch for something else. The textures are kind of incomplete as a set (and also I didn’t really have a concept of a base-8 grid or any grid in mind when drawing them) but it was nice to give them a home somewhere. Would love to see what you could do with them :p

Spoiler

There is no way to return to the table once you choose a pocket, which has been and will likely continue to be kind of a controversial decision but I’m still inclined to keep it this way so as not to nerf the gimmick. I guess could have some way to return to the table at the very end, by the exit/ball return, but I’m still not sure about that.

I support your decision to keep MAP31 as-is. I know not everyone will like that, but I can say for certain my overall map experience would have been worse if you made alterations. I'm even looking at stealing this concept for my own wad.

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

However I can’t spot any HOMs in MAP15, I don’t know if the rising ceiling behaves differently across different ports or dependent on something else I haven’t found yet.

The culprit seems to be linedefs 113 and 125, which reveal the full arena. I think in my playthrough, I activated one of them, and then later once the ceiling had risen, I walked over the other, causing a portion of the ceiling (it looks like sector 6) to raise a second time and reveal in inner edge of sector 12.

Great presentation! I'm going in.

I like beans.

@Large Cat I'll keep it the way it is then.  Makes things more interesting that way and maybe adds more replay value to boot ;p I'll take a look at MAP15 again and see if there's a way to keep that from happening.

@Zesiir go nuts, or beans or whatever is the appropriate phrasing here.  Always appreciate your thoughtful reviews and such

3 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

@TheLippyServer if you like pain elemental spam too then you should play more of my maps ;3 happy folks are mostly enjoying MAP02 much more than I expected, hope the good times keep rolling

Oh you've got me hooked. Map 4 is legit probably the best Nazi map I've played. I especially love that low visibility manc in the cage at the top of the stairs. You have to use audio cues to dodge his crap, which is doable largely because of a very intelligent midi choice. Top shelf stuff, looking forward to finishing it.

Hey buddy I love you but what do I have to do with this? lol

lol you played a few of the maps back when they were just a bundle of speedmaps, and I credited everyone who played any of them prior to release. Thanks again for the videos from like 3 years ago I think you enjoyed them if I recall right 

@TheLippyServer MAP04 was I think the second map and fulfilled my dream of unironically using the Wolf resources in a map. I enjoyed it enough there’s two other Wolfy maps in the set besides this one, will be curious which one you like most overall :p

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

lol you played a few of the maps back when they were just a bundle of speedmaps, and I credited everyone who played any of them prior to release. Thanks again for the videos from like 3 years ago I think you enjoyed them if I recall right 

Oh ok that's a while ago I didn't remember lol