• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

Interception III [MBF21 Community Project]

Posted (edited)

Submissions

0l3HqQs.png

EPISODE 1: A futuristic Earth city at sunset (Main sky: CITYSKY1)

Subway (or hovercraft) stations, ruined streets, fiery high-rises, and infested parks start off the adventure.

• Station to Station by Moustachio – a transit station in a futuristic city.
    • Music: "Diaphragm" by Brayden Hart (AD_79)

6Qus3QR.png

EPISODE 2: A futuristic UAC lab at the bottom of the ocean (Main sky: SKY-B06)

Sealabs underneath the sea. Pressurized chambers, underwater machinery, oil digging contraptions, and aquariums lie beneath.

4Vy6vbD.png

EPISODE 3: Earth in the distant past (Main sky: SKYM1)

Around 250 CE. Ancient cities, temples, demon-infested villages, Romans, and lost wonders of the ancient world await you.

qgRVkDb.png

EPISODE 4: A demon city underneath Ancient Earth (Main sky: SKY5)

Hidden demon outposts, uncovered tombs, necropolis, and hell portals go here.

3xiy13m.png

EPISODE 5: An endless green void with floating islands throughout (Main sky: SKY6)

Voidspace, eldritch flesh structures, floating castles & temples, and floating hellish nature are all welcome here.

• Terminated Bliss [V2] by @Treehouseminis — “Dark Eldritch Prison, Set piece combat that can get difficult at times.  Make your escape, just dont fall into the void.”
    • Music: "Aquifer" by Snaxalotl

92RZEWK.png

EPISODE 6: Enceladus, a moon of Saturn, location of the villainous BarbatOS (Main sky: SKY4)

Moon bases, airlocks, digging sites, underground hell hives for the final leg of the trip.

Feel free to use any of the extra skies provided in the wad as well, as long as it fits with the episode's story and theme. Multiple skies are encouraged, and can be a great tool for environmental storytelling.

The campaign will be a continuous set of maps. Maps will be ordered based on their length, difficulty, monsters, weapons, and story. The episode themes are a framework for the story I want to tell.

Secret Levels

These are levels that either diverge from the main episodes wildly, provide an extra challenge, or act as an easter egg.

• The Museum by Moustachio — a showcase of as many of the resource pack features as possible. Selectable from the menu as a bonus episode.
    • Music: "Casserole" by LewkForce
Edited by Moustachio

Looks neat! I'll definitely make one or two maps for this.

Nice, hopefully I might get inspiration this time to make something after promising and failing to offer something to Interception 2.

Oh, weird. I was just scrolling through my .wad folder thinking "I should finish Interception 2." Then I started looking for new maps to play an ended up here. I guess it's a sign.

Episode 4 and 5 are calling my name. Will definitely make something for this!

Episode 1 and 6 got my attention, this is what i'm looking for 

I will making a map or two for this 

Interesting… I’ll definitely be taking a good look at this. Looks like a fun project to map for!

I'd like to join in, last project was fun to map for. 

Looks like fun, if I get the inspiration I may try my hand at an E1 or E2 map. Plenty of time at least :p

Eeey, good to see all the newest stuff used :P

Quick thing real quick, though:

3 hours ago, Moustachio said:

Please, do not playtest with GZDoom. GZDoom mostly works, but MBF21 splash groups are handled inconsistently compared to the other MBF21-compatible ports.

Has a GZDoom bug report been opened for this? MBF21 features are supposed to work identically between ports; if there's an inconsistency, it's a bug that needs fixing.

That said, "don't playtest with GZDoom" is still sage advice for cross-port projects, since you don't want to accidentally hit any other ZDoomisms like tag 0 lifts and other such things. When in doubt, dsda-doom or Woof! oughta work great.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xaser said:

Has a GZDoom bug report been opened for this?

I've gone and opened one now. Thanks for the heads up.

I see things are percolating in this thread, so I just want to welcome everyone who has expressed interest so far! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with over the next year or so!

27 minutes ago, JackDBS said:

Is the "August 1, 2025" Deadline a typo

Nope, I want to keep the project open for about a year.

Heads up, I will be making tweaks to the weapons as well. They won't change too much, but I will probably scale some of them back in power (like the fists). I'll make an announcement whenever the resources are updated.

Nice. Enjoyed playing the first two.

Looked through the textures in the resource wad. Noticed SW1BRIK1 was wrong. It's slightly out of focus and looks like it was converted from a jpg instead of the original png.

Posted (edited)

@Artyoman There's no limit to how many maps, just pick a theme and go forth.

@EffinghamHuffnagel You're absolutely right. Seems like when MISCTEX.wad was compiled way back in 2020, it was saved as a JPEG. I'll have to go ahead and track down the original texture.

Edited by Moustachio

I really enjoyed Interception II, so I'd love to be a part of the third one!

Out of interest, what sort of thing are you expecting out of the third episode since the idea seems very interesting, but I'm not sure exactly how distant in the past you want them to be set :P Are you expecting something like an ancient egyptian-themed (or some other ancient civilisation) map, or something further back with far fewer man-made structures?

Posted (edited)

I'm also curious about this project.  The dehacked weapons look really cool.  I will probably make a map for episode 5 as it stood out to me the most at first glance.  

Also can we use Umapinfo to set the sky or fo you want mappers to use sky transfer? 

Edited by Treehouseminis

1 hour ago, finnks13 said:

Are you expecting something like an ancient egyptian-themed (or some other ancient civilisation) map, or something further back with far fewer man-made structures?

Good question. I was picturing something with more nature, less man-made structures, and more demon-made structures. Some civilization is not off-limits (a large temple would be okay, for example). It's okay to be a little loose with accuracy, but I was thinking around the time of the Mayan civilization. Roughly 250 – 1697 CE according to Wikipedia.

54 minutes ago, Amiga Angel said:

this project has some pretty cool textures

Made by our wonderful community members! Please, let me know if you find anything wrong with the resources or any missing credits.

I added resources in doom builder but there's no sky textures in resources wad, but slade shows that there's a lot of sky textures, also F_SKY1 is replaced. Should I do something in slade myself to get SKY-B06 or it's something else?

изображение.png

изображение.png

Posted (edited)

I've made the first revision to the resource pack. Searching for the full res SW1BRIK1 texture led me to all of @zrrion the insect's awesome texture work. All is stated to be fair game, so I adapted some textures from the Retro Alphabet Showdown wad since these textures are awesome. I also found DECOtex, from which I snagged four Mechadon skies. I grabbed a boatload of mid textures from Mid Texture Repository as well (another amazing resource). And yes, SW1BRIK1 has been fixed.

Some tweaks have been made to the weapons. The berserk fist has had its original 10x damage multiplier restored. The sawed-off shotgun now fires a 21-pellet spread like the super shotgun, but wider horizontally. These pellets have a base damage of 5 with multiplier of up to 5x. The BFG 9000.1 now fires "tracers" in mid-air. The tracers are really just splash damage every mid-air frame, with a radius of 320 and a max damage value of 64.

This is probably going to be the last edit for a while (unless something needs to be fixed). lol yeah right

>> Download the Resource Pack v002 <<

Added Skies

UNDERGRO (good for E4)

InpO7MF.png

SUNSETCI (good for E1)

hcS6BGs.png

GODISWAT (good for E1)

Q37tJoE.png

BORDERWO (just looks awesome. Could go in a secret level or something)

Mcxvk0R.png

1 hour ago, Artyoman said:

I added resources in doom builder but there's no sky textures in resources wad, but slade shows that there's a lot of sky textures, also F_SKY1 is replaced. Should I do something in slade myself to get SKY-B06 or it's something else?

You have to use MBF sky transfers. Use linedef action 271, make your the upper texture SKY-B06, and set a y-offset of -112 so that the sky is vertically aligned properly. You should be able to see the waves at the top of the sky and the sea floor at the bottom with no breaks in between. You'll want to use one line for tag 0 and make new sky transfers for any sky sectors with new tags.

You can also use UMAPINFO to set skies, but you can't change their offset this way. Sky transfers are preferred since they are embedded in the map and will always work.

Edited by Moustachio

2 hours ago, Moustachio said:

Good question. I was picturing something with more nature, less man-made structures, and more demon-made structures. Some civilization is not off-limits (a large temple would be okay, for example). It's okay to be a little loose with accuracy, but I was thinking around the time of the Mayan civilization. Roughly 250 – 1697 CE according to Wikipedia.

Made by our wonderful community members! Please, let me know if you find anything wrong with the resources or any missing credits.

there is something weird about panup

panup.png

I would expect PANUPB to be a flipped PANUPA because its not possible to flip textures in MBF from what I know anyway and PANUPA is more usefull because it aligns with the colors of the panels in doom2.wad

NOVA IV and now this. I feel like this will be a shining year for the sequel. Nice!