Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I had a similar experience, hopefully it stays this way.

More than brushing the teeth we can not do 😊 After all these years i see no problem with them, because i had never problems.

But in my case they had luckily enough space  and corrected their position as they came out.

// if it hurts, have it removed... if not... leave it alone... and yes, even with anesthetic, its horrible pain the whole time before during and after extraction... blows...

TFW you hear your wisdom tooth literally been cracked to pieces one by one while the dentist dives in your mouth.. The worst part was the pain aftermath and painkillers helped barely if at all.

10 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

To see if people here went through it.  People that play one of the best games ever.

Yeah, people went through it. Its a fairly generic procedure. This is a question in the line of ''Have you ever petted a dog or cat? I just wanna know if people did because i am going to look at a dog and cat and don't know what to do.''

Also get to the dentist.

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Echoing the "listen to the trained professionals" sentiment. 

No no, you see, DoomWorld is their trained professional outlet. Not the actual trained professional, mind you. Far easier elating to the common sense of your Doom ire than to, you know, actually trust what the actual trained professional tells you to.

6 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

At least this one is just averse because it's a scary dental procedure, which is like... a halfway understandable feeling?  Rather than being ideologically opposed to dental work because the capitalists are using fluoride to turn the frogs gay.

So we're trending towards sanity.  Maybe in another few weeks we'll get a thread where the OP is like, "I had a cavity so I went to my dentist and got it filled, just thought I'd let yall know"

I would geniunely laugh my ass off if that happens.

Especially when its a completely different user doing that too.

Posted (edited)

I decided not to go with this. 

Redneckerz, it’s still a everything else section.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I decided not to go with this.  But if it hurts really bad to where I can’t handle it then maybe.

Redneckerz, it’s still a everything else section.

Alright then, topic can be secured then. Your decision to go against medical advice.

And as for your latter, perhaps you missed it:

23 hours ago, Kinsie said:

If your dentist says you need it removed, you need it removed.

Why the fuck do people insist on asking an internet forum dedicated to hacking a three-decade old videogame for medical advice?

23 hours ago, Kinsie said:

If your dentist says you need it removed, you need it removed.

Nah man, dentists (and doctors in general) are people and could be wrong on occassion, for various reasons.

OP, if you feel strongly that your dentist is wrong in your case, by all means go get a second opinion from another one, and explain to that other one why you think the first one could be wrong, so you'll get a clear answer.

I personally would not hurry to replace a tooth that isn't aching unless there was a very good reason, and even then I'd consider other options and methods - and if a dentist can't / won't articulate it for you, then wtf is he doing in that line of work in the first place.

Asking about it in a forum based around a 30 year old videogame is probably the last thing you want to do though, lol.

Can somebody's wisdom teeth run Doom?

On a serious note, I remember having my wisdom teeth removed, it really wasn't that painful. Though I could remember not being asleep during the process despite being numbed or sedated.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Alright then, topic can be secured then. Your decision to go against medical advice.

And as for your latter, perhaps you missed it:

Redneckerz, have you had you're wisdom tooth removed??

Everything Else is still called Everything Else, you can close this thread now.. it has run the course. 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

4 hours ago, VICE said:

Nah man, dentists (and doctors in general) are people and could be wrong on occassion, for various reasons.

This is true, but in the absence of other information it still makes far more sense to conclude that an expert is correct than that they're wrong (assuming, of course, that they are properly accredited, properly informed on the situation, and that the situation itself is within their field of expertise).  Perhaps Kinsie's wording was too absolute there, but directionally they were clearly right.

1 hour ago, jerrysheppy said:

This is true, but in the absence of other information it still makes far more sense to conclude that an expert is correct than that they're wrong (assuming, of course, that they are properly accredited, properly informed on the situation, and that the situation itself is within their field of expertise).  Perhaps Kinsie's wording was too absolute there, but directionally they were clearly right.

I don't want to get too deep into this subject on a forum like this. I have some knowledge of this issue and some experience with it, maybe I'm being biased - but I'll keep it brief:

Spoiler

Doctors don't actually know as much as you'd think they would, because:
1. The degrees they study for were standardized in the 70's 
2. Most of them don't read new research once they start their practice, and are not up to date.
3. The fields are divided in a way that makes them so specialized in their particular bodily system that they would not truly know how it is affected by interconnected systems.

4. Are only familiar with modern western-style ''cut if off and modify/replace it'' methods.

Some of them are aware of this, some of them just don't know any better because they think they know everything once they finish their degree. 

And to make things more complicated:

5. Commonly, many of them have a monetary and proffessional interest to push for more complex and invasive procedures in places where holistic methods and some time would suffice, utilizing the body's natural healing mechanisms.

OP mentioned he was pain-free. Teeth are enervated living organs with their own blood vessels, and the body's pain response exists to indicate when something is wrong. 
If there was an unsalvagable situation going on, pain is to be expected. I am also assuming that if the situation really warranted a full removal despite this contradiction, the dentist would be able to explain to OP in a way that is self evident and leaves no room for doubt - he studied this stuff for at least 8 years.

In this case, the way I see it, there is a chance that the dentist has something to gain from doing superfluous procedures, or is not informed enough to know any better. That chance is non-negligble and thus warrants getting a second opinion.

11 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I decided not to go with this.  But if it hurts really bad to where I can’t handle it then maybe.

Get a second opinion from another dentist first

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, VICE said:

maybe I'm being biased

You're not, everything you said is the truth and I think any respectable practitioner that isn't an old fart would agree with you. The new blood is definitely quick to point out the fact that many doctors have outdated information, that they're stuck in their ways. And dentists especially can be notorious for unnecessary procedures - especially at cheapo places and health departments. My health department dentist told me when I was 17 that I had 17 cavities, but upon going to a volunteer service where they accept no payment of any kind about eight years later, I only had 9 ("only"). They have no reason to lie, so I have no reason not to believe them. They also went over my x-ray with me, unlike the health department. And wisdom teeth are very easy to lie about, because there's many excuses they could come up with. But honestly I think if that was the case then they'd just want to pull all of them. As you said, it should have been clearly explained to him. A second opinion never hurts before having something removed from your body, for sure. If the tooth is bad and isn't removed, I think OP will learn the lesson the hard way either way. I hope not because it fucking sucks.

Sometimes there isn't any pain with a bad tooth, though. Most of mine started hurting a long time before they got really bad, but I had one that rotted and fell out that caused little pain. The entire inside was nearly hollowed out. 

Honestly Mr. Vanilla, I think a better question would be "how to get over fear of dentists", and people would be much more willing to help you with a question like that. There's no shame or embarrassment, I know marines that are still afraid of the dentist. These sudden threads about teeth are definitely getting strange, but I try to answer them because I really regret not taking care of mine. Losing your teeth due to irresponsibility is painful and degrading.

I had mine removed. From what I remember, after getting my wisdom teeth removed. I had very sore pain from my teeth afterwards that at times hurt like hell. It was miserable.