Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VICE

Why are recent Doomworld threads stupid?

I dunno. I thought I made a few good points as to why DOOM is the same genre of Garten of BanBan, and yet people called me a shit-poster! Maybe people just don't like to compare 2 peak games side-by-side.

Bring back post hell. Make it so we can engage with that kind of shit without having to derail more productive matters, because it is amusing... Think about it, it is a win/win situation, we get our laughs, they get their attention, serious forums are left undisturbed.

It is like a bathroom. You will always shit, better have the "shitplace" rather than shit on your bed or the kitchen, know what I mean?

If that doesn't sound ideal, we plead for user Denzel20 to get unbanned... On the surface he just looks like any other spammer, but he does actually have an ethic. He only spams in shitty threads that are a lost cause since the beginning. In that way he is actually useful, whenever a shitty thread appears he will have obliterated it already. The only thing left to see is a barren wasteland of copypasta and putrid memes... Another closed topic, very fast, before it harms.

One thing that is of concern from these threads that has been briefly mentioned in this thread is how they can "slide" other threads off of the first page. This normally wouldn't be so much of a big deal (unless it's full-blown forum sliding), but with the search function being as broken as it has been for the entirety of this year thus far, I imagine some new threads with a legitimate purpose may fade away into obscurity because people can't find them again. I imagine that this problem has only gotten worse throughout the months since there is a growing backlog of unsearchable threads and posts from this year.

17 minutes ago, roadworx said:

counterpoint: i'm a zoomer that's been here for nearly ten years and i'm fully capable of using forums. it's not a generational problem, it's an issue with the website growing stagnant due to neglect 

I consider people like you an excpetion to a trend. I'm not talking in absolutes when refering to Zoomers as a whole, in case that wasn't obvious, I'm alluding to the fact that growing up in a different digital environment leaves a lot of these people without the decency filters that previous generations had.

What do you mean by ''growing stagnant?'', exactly? I get that the status updates don't work, but it's not a fact that a discussion forum even needs that feature. 
And even if you ignore the types of threads I mentioned, still seems pretty active in here.

6 minutes ago, Pancrasio said:

we plead for user Denzel20 to get unbanned...

Yeah, no. The report button exists for a reason, we don't need people unleashing spam attacks on random shitty threads.

As for Post Hell, the problem there lies in how people interpreted its presence: to some people it existed as a cautionary tale, but to others it was a source of entertainment or (most annoyingly) something they wanted to contribute to. As sad as it may be, it's better off gone.

3 minutes ago, VICE said:

What do you mean by ''growing stagnant?'', exactly? I get that the status updates don't work, but it's not a fact that a discussion forum even needs that feature. 

And even if you ignore the types of threads I mentioned, still seems pretty active in here.

Search hasn't worked for any posts made since December, and the Downloads/Reviews section hasn't worked since... 2018?

18 minutes ago, Pancrasio said:

Bring back post hell. Make it so we can engage with that kind of shit without having to derail more productive matters, because it is amusing... Think about it, it is a win/win situation, we get our laughs, they get their attention, serious forums are left undisturbed.

It is like a bathroom. You will always shit, better have the "shitplace" rather than shit on your bed or the kitchen, know what I mean?

Honestly, that just seems like a terrible idea because it's not like any of the 'bad' threads are trying to be shitty necessarily, just making the same reddit-tier inquiries that they're probably used to. No need to invite crap that aren't just parody threads like the one dasho started.

5 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Yeah, no. The report button exists for a reason, we don't need people unleashing spam attacks on random shitty threads.

Daaaale Osidian sacate la gorra ¡el piberío pide Denzel!

6 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

As for Post Hell, the problem there lies in how people interpreted its presence: to some people it existed as a cautionary tale, but to others it was a source of entertainment or (most annoyingly) something they wanted to contribute to. As sad as it may be, it's better off gone.

As long as the contribution is left to Post Hell, and Post Hell threads are forbidden to appear in the Popular Now tab, is it entirely a problem?

Maybe the problem would be spills out to serious topics, but a way to go could be to grant those accounts access to Post Hell only, and then give them hopes of getting unbanned... What do you say?

as a zoomer i think its that sorta weird youtube mattpatt whatever fixation on the mundaneities of any game and hairbrained theorizing and the recent attention the game has gotten from its mod scene, so people who consume slop and have a mindset for fixating on the mundane come here..

Is doom set in the quake universe? The most controversial theory yet.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, fruity lerlups said:

as a zoomer i think its that sorta weird youtube mattpatt whatever fixation on the mundaneities of any game and hairbrained theorizing and the recent attention the game has gotten from its mod scene, so people who consume slop and have a mindset for fixating on the mundane come here..

Is doom set in the quake universe? The most controversial theory yet.

you do actually have somewhat of a point here seeing as how those threads are a lot more prominent these days than they once were. i never really thought about those that way tbh; they really are pointless threads that do distract from discussion regarding more interesting things, and i can certainly see the connection you're making

1 hour ago, Pancrasio said:

If that doesn't sound ideal, we plead for user Denzel20 to get unbanned... On the surface he just looks like any other spammer, but he does actually have an ethic. He only spams in shitty threads that are a lost cause since the beginning. In that way he is actually useful, whenever a shitty thread appears he will have obliterated it already. The only thing left to see is a barren wasteland of copypasta and putrid memes... Another closed topic, very fast, before it harms.

That's literally what Maribo was referring to, but taken to the extreme. Giving those posts more attention than needed will not help to mitigate the problem.

Also, spamming in any context is an offense to the forum's rules, so that Ban was deserved lmao.

I just put it down to the modern social-media world and everyone feeling like their opinion on whatever subject needs to be shared or heard and somehow validated by someone... and unfortunately some people just simply have nothing intelligent, constructive or profound to contribute...

The irony...

25 minutes ago, DankMetal said:

That's literally what Maribo was referring to, but taken to the extreme. Giving those posts more attention than needed will not help to mitigate the problem.

Also, spamming in any context is an offense to the forum's rules, so that Ban was deserved lmao.

Traicion a la patria denzeliana 

When there’s no more room in ‘Post Hell’ the stupid will walk the Earth. 

people just complain too much

1 hour ago, DankMetal said:

Traición a la causa revolucionaria, ¿dónde está tu fusil, que no en tu mano?

COMPAÑERO DENZEL20 PRESENTE!!

I don't know, posts like this make me giggle. They keep the forum alive and can provide entertainment.

I come to the Internet not only to constantly sit with a sour and gloomy face

2 minutes ago, Astar said:

I don't know, posts like this make me giggle. They keep the forum alive and can provide entertainment.

I come to the Internet not only to constantly sit with a sour and gloomy face

Honestly, that's true. Some people need to stop being all doom and gloom about everything on this forum lmao

4 minutes ago, neubejiita said:

I miss Post Hell.

I've seen Post Hell mentioned a few times today, but I'm still shiny and new to Doomworld. What was it?

I actually used to make threads like these unfortunately, i also used to make some Generally "Okay" Maps, but im trying to redeem my mapping quality and posting quality and it seems to have worked, even tho im still working on an large project for doom 2, I still have learned my ways to correctly post and map, so this is my reasoning as a person who has done this before, as to why the thread quality is declining:

They (And/Or Past me) Are too lazy to read what ACTUAL good content is considered and read anything, so they just jump right ahead into posting anything thinking its considered "Okay", And thus the thread goes taken down

Now keep in mind I myself have learned how to make good threads and posts, after a few bad threads i made 5-8 months back, Which leads me to:
Although fairly annoying to have low quality threads, It has "Some" Benifit, The benefit being after the post goes down, the user will learn a bit more on what is considered an good thread, Now keep in mind this does not mean "Go ARoUnD PoStInG HOrRribLe ThrEads", All im saying is that Mods should close the threads, and they should try their best from the very start to not make bad threads, and just incase they actually do, they need to be closed again, so he can learn

Again, this does not mean bad threads are good, but rather Atleast the poster can learn from them

also Again again; dont take this as "New members go post bad threads" Dont do that, just go around the forums and see whats considered bad or good

But if they happen to do post an bad thread, Atleast the poster can learn from them

14 minutes ago, EvilSqueegee said:

I've seen Post Hell mentioned a few times today, but I'm still shiny and new to Doomworld. What was it?

The hell where bad posters were sent.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, EvilSqueegee said:

It served as a repository for all the worst posts, a kind of cringe peanut gallery for people to laugh at. It still exists, it's just not public anymore and still used as a bin for garbage threads. Some people are nostalgic for it, others literally only visited this website because of it. Ling decided years ago back in 2017 after the forum update that it was no longer necessary and he wanted DW to move on from that kind of toxic mindset and to stop playing in the filth.

Edited by Biodegradable

Damn, too slow on the draw!

Post Hell had some real annoying music (CAPTAIN JEAN PICARD OF THE U S S ENTERPRISE) to assault the ears as well as that color scheme blinded the eyes. It was also aped from SomethingAwful, where theirs is called the Gas Chamber.

I suppose it depends upon what's being posted as a "shitpost".

@Grungo for example, creates genuinely funny shitposts. Wholeheartedly appreciated content, in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, neubejiita said:

I miss Post Hell.

r0_239_4684_2883_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Took me a whole minute to realize that the one of the left is supposed to be a spectre and not a bleached pinky.

9 minutes ago, Amaruψ said:

I suppose it depends upon what's being posted as a "shitpost".

@Grungo for example, creates genuinely funny shitposts. Wholeheartedly appreciated content, in my opinion.

awwwww thank you