Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

TNT 2: Devilution (Final beta released)

14 hours ago, Grieferus said:

What IWAD it needs? TNT Evilution?

...yes? I mean, I feel like that's kind of self-explanatory.

3 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I think it actually needs Doom 2 IWAD.

Nah, I've been playing it with the TNT IWAD and it works fine.

15 hours ago, Grieferus said:

What IWAD it needs? TNT Evilution?

GAMEINFO says TNT

GameinfoTNTDevilution.png

Actually I did want to mention, I think there was a misused texture in one of the later maps -- what should be a waterfall was instead a bloodfall on a couple of linedefs. It was on MAP28 IIRC, close to the Spiderdemon pool.

Map13 I would recommend rethinking requiring the bluekey for normal level progression and how it is not an obvious secret to obtain.  That map was not very enjoyable.

What, Nostalgia Drive? There's like two copies of every key. It's very open-ended.

I’m pretty excited for the eventual release of this wad so I went ahead and played this early version.

1: Obituary: I like the very blue in-game title screen in the first level. The game starts out pretty hard. The shutters dropping at the start and the player gets sideswiped by rows of hitscanners is a nasty trick but I am playing on UV. Then the closets on the side of the Icon of Sin open up and I have to deal with two crowds of imps and zombies. It’s not too hard, just surprisingly ferocious for a map 1.

It's a struggle up to the U corridor at the top of the map. Once I had a decent stash of shells on me, I felt the pressure ease up. I liked the journey down the dead Icon of Sin's mouth. I don't like to do melee in Doom but punching those pinkies was satisfying. The fight with the arachnotron at the bottom was not underwhelming, but surprisingly easy compared to what came before. After getting rid of a gunner or two, I strafe the arena until the imps and spider are dead. The final computer room can be frustrating. There's not a lot of hiding you can do popping out of the teleporter container– you just gotta kill all the hitscanners as fast as possible. With two chaingunners looming over you, it's an intense moment that feels a little unfair. I liked the music in this map and the graphics.

2: Grime and Punishment: I like the opening scramble around the black water. The "bunker" on the edge of the room with the chaingunners peeking through– it was satisfying to nail them before they got a hit on me. I don't know if it was intentional but I couldn't get the imps down there, not from the black water room. I didn't mind because it came off as foreshadowing– a problem I would have to deal with later. The spectres that attack blend well into the dark hues of the ground and walls.

Getting into the techbase part, I like the detail and the contrast between the rockiness outside and the tidiness inside. That felt very TNT to me. I didn't make use of the berserk pack at the start of the level so I used weapons exclusively and left the level with my ammo counts dwindling but even still it was an easier level than the first.

3: Brimstone Labs: This level takes it up a notch. It's weird how the level just gives you the SSG at the start. It's strangely unceremonious. While the SSG was great against the cacos and revs that the level throws at you, this level whooped my butt anyway. You gotta be sharp moving forward because there are so many foes hiding behind corners. I got flanked a lot and I felt pretty starved for health pickups. I was glad for all the rocket ammo I got, though.

As for the look of the level itself, I like how it extends off of TNT's aesthetic choices but spins them in a new direction. This level is hellish, and with the blood pools and puddles of blood and gore, this level is both gross and very swampy. It's got a humidity to it.

The level is hard but that fight at the end with the archvile and painies was a sign that the was was not going to ease into high difficulty. Being that I walked into that fight with 35% health or whatever, I reloaded my save and went secret hunting and good god are secrets in this level hard to find. It took me noclipping to find the underground yellow key door and I had to walk around for a bit before I found the teleporter near the entrance. Was that always there? From there I found the yellow key door below but had to go through the archvile room to get the yellow key, then teleport back to the main part of the level to open up secret that lowers the invulnsphere. It's a lot of a work for something that is a big fight. I don't think it's bad– it's just weird that there's this whole Alien Vendetta-style fight at the back end of some elusive and busy secrets.

I never got the soul sphere secret though, and I could have really used it!

So those are my thoughts so far. If they're useful to anyone or interesting, I'll post more of them. I'm very excited for this wad and so far it's been pretty entertaining.

i absolutely loved the final level of this!!

that's just an incredible work with engine - it's boom compatible yet still looks and plays almost like UDMF <3

5 hours ago, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

it's boom compatible

it's vanilla compatible*

Download the file now and share it with others on Dropbox

Can someone reupload this on less meddlesome service?

Is this mastermind teleporting into this small hallway intentional on Map15?

Screenshot_Doom_20240515_220729.png

your gameplay mod changes doors into spider masterminds, very common way of spicing up gameplay these days

(serious answer is it seems the mod you're using reduces the hitbox of the MM and lets it fit into a teleporter it normally can't (but not fit in the hallway it teleports to))

Yep, you are right I missed setting the mastermind's radius back to the vanilla 128 instead of 110

Played a bit more of this wad.

4: Subterra Incognita starts off with a bunch of infantry around you which might be a theme of this wad. I like the music on this map. It's invigorating. The room with the caged plasma rifle was surprisingly tame with its chaingunner and rev being the biggest threats when you pick up the weapon, but that doesn't mean that part is easy. The second time I found a plasma rifle I wondered if this level was going to overload me with cell ammo and then promptly used most of it in the courtyard fight with the pain elemental. The cell ammo also made the couple arch-vile fights very manageable.

5: Littoral, once again, opens up with people angry at me. After admiring the Doomcute in the lobby's corner, I went outside on the east side and fired rockets at that balcony of mancubi and revs, getting sideswiped by an arachnotron in the process. Taking out the revs around the northern cliffs was challenging until I used my rockets. There's also the imp staircase back there which is a weird obstacle but maybe it's just weird to me because I took out the archie pretty easily. This level throws a lot of archies at you and they're tricky.

I like the sail boat on the coast of the level and I was surprised with how big this level is. It's not huge but I was surprised with how big it is. Twice do you teleport to a whole new wing of the level, including that scramble in the "Disaster Area". Got to the end and had 0 out of 7 secrets so I went around and explored and I wasn't expecting that

Spoiler

secret in the black pit just outside the building. It was a little surreal.

This wad has just begun and I've only started grasping its idiosyncrasies. Things are heating up!

Map20 you can get softlocked outside the metal textured puzzle area with the red wall and then eventually the puzzle/switch area will break and you get stuck.  Maybe its too overcomplicated.

Screenshot_Doom_20240519_213350.png

Screenshot_Doom_20240519_213850.png

My goodness was 6: Aquarium a barrage. I like the level opening up with the boat from the end of Map 5– the boat flooded like Doomguy is just that bad a driver. The early room with the BFG where you fight imps, pinkies, and revs while gunners shoot at you from the pedestals at the centre of it is only a warm up compared to what comes.

Dropping down into the northern part of the map, I had to make a mad scramble around to find a safer space so I fought my way to the east of the map, going through that zig-zag room with the revs. I stalked around the level, killing goes and flipping switches. Twice was there a trick where I’d approach a switch and a closet would open with a bunch of enemies and inside there would be a switch that when I approached it too, enemies would appear. It was egregious.

Anyway, I went over to the west side of the map with all the metal walls and floors and I felt that 400+ enemy count, especially when I got into a fight at the blue decks with the revs, in the northwest of the map. Also up there is that zombie mezzanine by the big redblue crushers in the centre of the room. I discovered the switch-on-floor-secret and

Spoiler

jumped through the window to the dark pit redblue secret. I liked the look of it and getting the automap showed that this level had many corridors to explore and got me intrigued.

The difficulty level for finding secrets was very comfortable. Not too easy but satisfying enough, like the stash with the plasma rifle in the cagey area. After getting the blue key you enter that soul sphere elevator with all the rockets at the centre of the northern sector. I really liked the fight with those rev towers and how the lift descends into that neon darkness. There’s that big fight down there. I hid in a corner and had to deal with mancubi and arachnos ganging up on me but I survived. I went back to get some secrets.

I had neglected the northeast part of the map so I went up there and got the blue key switch that opens the teleporter back to the southern part of the level. It was a lot of work and I was prepared to be disappointed but rewarding the player with a BFG for that string of secrets and switches was well-earned.

This was a good level but quite big so when I finished it I needed a break!

Thankfully 7: Campground was a breezier 100~ enemies but the level makes lethal use of them whether it being the squads of pinkies out in the main valley or the arachnotrons on the ledges around the exit booth. A had a hefty stash of cells from the previous levels so I wondered if I should have pistol started to give the levels more oomph. I was very confident with my plasma rifle, up until you teleport to the lava cauldron. I stuck close to the exit booth and took out arachnos until I cleared the coast and good gradually snipe off enemies until the area was free from foes. A good level, but why did it have six secrets?

The 350~ enemy count in 8: Hydrogenics was intimidating but it turned out to be mostly infantry, which is the most TNT thing I could think of. Actually this level was the most TNT level thusfar. The blue key room with the wide open floors and blur sphere gift are nice but I felt like the outside rampart infantry was unnecessary. I got snagged bad in the southern part of the map where you hit a switch to make the lift go down and there are chaingunners down there. I stayed by the switch when the lift lowered so the two gunners shot at me from below and I didn't have mouselook on to return the favour.

The scores of infantry got a little boring by the end but I think that's because of me continuing my arsenal so unless someone suggests its a bad idea, I'm going to start pistol-starting. The level though is a standout techbase fair for it's aquatic theme and austere construction. There's a lot of good verticality on this one.

9: Heterodoxical Hindrance was my first pistol start level so it was a drastic change of pace. Instead of going for the teleporter with the berserk pack, I had success heading towards the rocket launcher and using as many rockets as needed to take out the two painies and the rev on the crate. There’s a shotgunner back there with a shotgun, too, that I grabbed.

Going through the portal, I rocketed the cacos and the gunners and took the SSG. I could hear the cyberdemon stirring, so I kept my guard up. Your first encounter with the big beast is simple enough, stay by the ledge to avoid its line of sight, but it follows you through the level. The encounter up by the red key door required some quick dodging skills.

When I returned back to where the level starts and the cybie is sniping me from above and a group of cacos emerge, I ignored them for the yellow key door. By the time I got to the scuffle with the blur sphere and the baron, I was confident in my skills and arsenal. The rest of the level was a breeze and I spent a lot of time running away instead of fighting but I could have looked for more secrets since I think I missed a plasma rifle.

10: Surface Tension: This level starts out with a lot of comfortable infantry shooting. You get a megaarmour and a chaingun and can go wild with exploding barrels. I ran out of ammo during that early fight with the archvile up by the rocket launcher. I went to another door in the complex and got another rocket launcher.

When I saw that invulnsphere, I had to have it but I’m not sure what I actually did to open that shaft but I got the sphere and then went gonzo with the rockets and the barons. Another particular moment is when you warp into that room with the zombies and the revs and the barrels and you step off the teleport pad and an archie pops out. That was a hard encounter.

I got the red key and could have left the building but I had more level to explore so I took the eastern yellow door. The east side has that huge arena with the megasphere and scores of imps and the cyberdemon. I waited ‘til I got up to the top of the cyberdemon’s throne where there’s additional cell ammo to take it out. On the way back you have to fight back up the stairs through a waterfall of imps and archies. I killed as many as I needed to and dashed to the exit, now being able to open the blue door.

Surface Tension was a great level. It had an offbeat flow with its focus on chaingun, barrels, and rockets. It’s enemy encounters were devious puzzles and it’s structure was unique but not confusing.

11: The Voyager: The level loads you up with weapons. There wasn’t a way for me to leave that first room with the mancubi and chaingunner that didn’t feel like an inefficient use of ammo. I was clinging to my shells when I entered the nearby cave, but I eased up on counting ammo once I found that cell pack. The cave is pretty cool. I like the detail in the geometry and the contrast between light and darkness.

The open spaces were nice changes of pace, both in terms of the amount of space to maneuver and the aesthetics. I love me some good ZIMMER trees. The location of that berserk pack secret switch was a little far away from the target, I think. I got clipped by the gunners in that square TNT room but was happy to find– nearby– another ammo room like the one from the start.

I blazed through the western metal halls with the closets of enemies and the arch-vile at the end. That final monster closet in the cave with the imps and cacos was barely a threat. I liked this level. I liked the interconnectedness and how getting the yellow key opened up more than one doorway allowing a quick dash to the end.

12: Ion Flux: I like this blue techbase look. The lighting is cool too. That first room, though. My mistake was trying to use the trios of barrels to hurt the arachnos but on the other hand, what else was I going to frag them with? My half-dozen shells? By the end of that room I had dwindling health and one I got into the maze in the large room down the stairs, I lost a lot of health to the infantry.

Fighting off revs with a shotgun was a pain. In that large room with the archie, I duked the archie out to get to the rocket launcher. The rest of the level was pretty cool. I liked that big room with the narrow zig-zagging walkways. The enemy fights were deadly without being slogs. I liked the enemy selection. This map has had some of the least annoying revenants in a long time. Spent most of the map with low health without being too discouraged.

What was up with that ending, though? With the portal and the Going Up lift? It was very atmospheric.

Posted (edited)

I'd actually lvoe to compose for some maps for this game. They would be my first "actual" midis contributed to anything, I just wanna have a place for my stuff to go when I do to direct my efforts. My stuff is quite... atmospheric and feelingy, think of The Infinite Labyrinth by Tristan Clark, that kind of track, just "bigger" if you know what I mean. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'm bringing some equipment, so I.. suppose I'll contact you if I come out the other end with something cool?

Might I ask, what is the list of contributors, or is it just you?

6 hours ago, JadensWeb said:

I'd actually lvoe to compose for some maps for this game. They would be my first "actual" midis contributed to anything, I just wanna have a place for my stuff to go when I do to direct my efforts. My stuff is quite... atmospheric and feelingy, think of The Infinite Labyrinth by Tristan Clark, that kind of track, just "bigger" if you know what I mean. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'm bringing some equipment, so I.. suppose I'll contact you if I come out the other end with something cool?

Might I ask, what is the list of contributors, or is it just you?

I think you've misunderstood. This megawad is already basically released and has a complete original soundtrack.

3 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I think you've misunderstood. This megawad is already basically released and has a complete original soundtrack.

I haven't been following super closely. Is Map 26 fully complete now?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Woah what? I was unable to find it anywhere. The only download I found was on this page. I couldn’t even find a Doom Wiki page on it. You sure? I feel like someone should have made a doomwiki page YEARS ago really..

Even if there’s extremely limited slots I could take up, I’d still want the chance lol

Maybe that’s really cringe but eh

Anyways, so far I absolutely love the existing soundtrack, at least to what I was able to listen to at 2am last night of the first 3 maps XD

It's in its 6th and final beta. It'll get a final release after the final map is completed and after another sweep for issues. As it stands it's a solid, full game already. You should play it.

2 hours ago, JadensWeb said:

Woah what? I was unable to find it anywhere. The only download I found was on this page. I couldn’t even find a Doom Wiki page on it. You sure? I feel like someone should have made a doomwiki page YEARS ago really..

They should have but someone important  on Doomwiki decided there would be no articles on the maps until RC1 from the looks of things. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it is what it is.