Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SecularSteve

Can anybody help me refine and improve the "SteamGridDB" pages/assets of Freedoom?

https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5273735
https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5273736

Not that there's anything wrong with the current assets mind you, it's just that they probably need some variety to not only differentiate them, but to give the games that more professional feel (which they became).

I've recently made a request for FreeDM as well...

https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5452540

Page probably will not be visible to you until it gets approved. But I already took the liberty of uploading some official assets.

Including a nice little icon combining brick.png with logo5.png

https://www.steamgriddb.com/icon/57087

Anything to add?

4c6b12706f55c24d50239ff64abfc586.png

On 5/23/2024 at 6:09 PM, MrFlibble said:

What's SteamGridDB?

An online database of Steam banners, icons, etc for games, in case you don't like the default art for a Steam game or want to add a non-Steam game to your library and give it art.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 8:09 PM, realjohnmadden said:

An online database of Steam banners, icons, etc for games, in case you don't like the default art for a Steam game or want to add a non-Steam game to your library and give it art.

Couldn't sum it up better.

Speaking of which, it just got approved:

https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5452540

Posted (edited)

Just uploaded varieties of "thatstinkyguy" and "flamepanther"-s Phase 2 Grids/Capsules and Logos where they're fully colourised to red to differentiate them from Phase 1.

0e69d3399b4a6f0293468fafc3324cdb.png

71a76092aa0b02c1150a497ccb4d29d9.png

b8923b6bd6f03ac5e92fcb17ffd6d300.png

d986cebcaa9eda4979e8e6777961807c.png

On 6/8/2024 at 7:09 PM, SecularSteve said:

0e69d3399b4a6f0293468fafc3324cdb.png

Is this your own art? I mean the FDGuy.

As for the other two images, you seem to have used the raw titlepic without correcting it to 4:3, so it appears squashed.

In case you don't know, here's the original concept art of the titlepic, and here's the hi-res source version, which does not need to be corrected:

jIfEK56.png

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

Is this your own art? I mean the FDGuy.

As for the other two images, you seem to have used the raw titlepic without correcting it to 4:3, so it appears squashed.

In case you don't know, here's the original concept art of the titlepic, and here's the hi-res source version, which does not need to be corrected:

jIfEK56.png

1. No it's mostly not. I thought I made it clear enough in the first sentence. All I did was re-colour the originals to differentiate them because they're the exact same as in the Phase 1 page, only with a 2 in place. To break the redundancy and all that.

2. Like I said. Just a re-colour of the other ones to help distinguish it when it's in my library. If you want to talk to anybody about them, talk to "thatstinkyguy" and "flamepanther".

3. The guys over on the SteamGridDB Discord encourage anyone to contribute if they can. Or if they have their own original ideas.

@SecularSteve, oh, I'm sorry, I thought that you actually created those images.

But certainly, if you took the high-res concept art/titlepic art and recreated the "box art" by those other guys with it, that would count as "refining and improving" them, wouldn't it? Or I'm just not really sure what your original intention was.

13 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

But certainly, if you took the high-res concept art/titlepic art and recreated the "box art" by those other guys with it, that would count as "refining and improving" them, wouldn't it? Or I'm just not really sure what your original intention was.

Great timing. I've just made two variants myself that can be used as examples here:

FDG1.png

FDG2.png

FDG3.png

FDG4.png

On 5/24/2024 at 1:09 PM, realjohnmadden said:

It also hosts assets for GOG Galaxy, as well as square cover images that can be used in menus for some modded game consoles.

The Playnite launcher has a plug-in to pull assets directly from SGDB as well, and supports using any of the Steam/Galaxy/console assets.

On 8/6/2024 at 12:26 PM, MrFlibble said:

The FreeDoom Guy art is originally from here:

https://www.deviantart.com/dynamo07x/art/Freedoom-Guy-829319343

The artist is credited and linked on SGDB, although it looks like they've changed screen names since then.

https://www.steamgriddb.com/grid/252270

@flamepanther, welcome to the forums! I presume you the creator of the original covers that @SecularSteve posted, right?

If so, I was wondering, does GPL on the covers refer to the license? 'Cause it's only the Doom engine that is GPL'd, Freed∞m data is BSD-3-Clause. (If GPL means something else, please disregard.)

2 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

@flamepanther, welcome to the forums! I presume you the creator of the original covers that @SecularSteve posted, right?

If so, I was wondering, does GPL on the covers refer to the license? 'Cause it's only the Doom engine that is GPL'd, Freed∞m data is BSD-3-Clause. (If GPL means something else, please disregard.)

Thanks! I've been lurking for years--for so long that I forgot I never made an account until I tried to reply to someone!

I'd call the assets I worked on a collaborative or iterative effort. I didn't draw FreeDoom Guy, and the vertical, poster-style covers were made using a template that mimics the US box for The Ultimate Doom. It took some editing and compositing, but in the end, I just put the pieces together.

The spot where I put "GPL" normally has the Id logo, so I had the awkward task of choosing something more appropriate that still fits well into the same space. I picked "GPL" to represent the Doom source licence, since the engine becoming FOSS is what prompted the project to create FOSS content for said engine. I had considered using "BSD" to indicate the license used by the content itself, but worried people might confuse it with the operating system.

This was a few years ago. If I were putting the cover together now, I'd probably just use an infinity sign to replace the ID logo. But for some reason that idea didn't occur to me at the time.