Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laocoön

Released: Infernal Gladiator (Final Version)

Wow, did this just get released, or is it some kind of repost? Just confused on how nobody has commented yet lol

But holy moly this is nuts!

Posted (edited)

It just got released last night! (European time)

Edited by Laocoön

I added a massive amount of text to the first post, in case anyone wants to read about the ideas behind the maps. Play them first, though!

Completed first five levels. The visuals are really looking good, and the levels seem to be designed so that you put your foot on the gas pedal and only take it off when the last demon is dead.

So far I got only two complains:
- Level 5: Corridors - it`s not hard but I think it takes a lot of luck, more than I like. Sometimes you get a really bad enemy movement and find yourself trapped with no way to survive.
- Second one is very subjective - music. I can't say nothing bad about the music itself, especially considering that it was made by you. But the old man in me can't accept high-quality .ogg tracks in DOOM. In my opinion MIDI suits better.

Overall, good job! Looking forward to finishing it!

Thanks for your comments, and for playing! I agree that map05 can be a bit random, but there are strats not to get caught. As for the music, I have been toying with the idea of adding a version with midis, but I couldn't get my head round how to use (or even install) midi editors, and I am too much of a control freak to use music made by others, so .ogg it is. The music is made on a tracker, though, so it's essentially nineties in that respect. (I too am old!)

Posted (edited)

Whoa! Congratz and mad respect to create a megawad and accompanying music all by your lonesome, that's my current dream haha. I'll definitely try this out :)

EDIT: I love it. Music is awesome and seems to be somewhat Doom 2016/Eternal inspired, but fit the themes of the maps very well :) Haven't played too many maps yet but they're engaging, short and energetic. Noice!

Edited by Wo0p

Posted (edited)

Aw, thanks! That's great to hear!

Edit: the music is not directly inspired by Doom 2016/Eternal, but Mick Gordon and I both like Meshuggah, I think. That said, there's lots of tracks in this wad that are not metal.

Edited by Laocoön

Posted (edited)

Perfect example of UDMF getting no appreciation on this site. Guy spends 8 months making a full wad and gets a couple replies.

I took a look at the levels. Some of the later ones are really impressive looking. I'll play it tomorrow. Thanks for the levels.

Edited by Bryan T

Thanks, man. I hope you will enjoy the wad! I'm really happy with it and would love for more people to play it.

As you will discover, it is not really using UDMF in a conspicuous way, as it's all behind-the-scenes stuff. For example, making it so a door opens when a specific monster dies is super quick and easy to do in UDMF, and it's just one if many little things that make it a joy to use for mapping!

Very ambitious and looks of high quality. I look forward to playing this, but I will hold off until you have a final version. It's a shame this doesn't seem to be getting more engagement at the moment.

Thanks for digging this up. The whole wad has been played through by a few people and neither I nor they have found any bugs or issues - you can safely play this now if you want to. 

I've changed the topic title to reflect the fact that I now regard the wad finished.

Just started a playthrough yesterday, and although I'm only about halfway through, I just wanted to say you have put together something quite excellent. I love how sleek and not overly detailed your aesthetic choices are. Gameplay wise, I love the snappy, straight to the point approach. That opener really sets the tone, and the pace feels very nice. Like the pressure eases up just enough for you to catch your breath and keep pushing. Very enjoyable.

As for the music, what can I say? It's awesome. I love the chugging, djenty sounds. Groovy and not overly aggressive. I appreciate that there's some more electronic/ synth elements throughout as well. Atmospheric, and haunting at times. Reminds me a bit of Meshuggah & Gojira, and I mean that as a high compliment It's right up my alley. Very interested in hearing more of your music. What are some of the inspirations behind your compositions? 

Anyhow, great work overall. Thanks for all the love and time you put into this. It really shows. 

Thanks so much for playing and for the very kind and nice feedback. I hope you will continue to enjoy the maps and the music in the second half of the wad as well!

I am really busy at the moment, but I can't say how grateful I am that people seem to like my music. No one cared or noticed before I started soundtracking Doom wads. When I have more time, I'll be very happy to share more of my music and discuss how I approach making it. In the meantime, check out my channel on YouTube for a small handful of songs: https://youtube.com/@la_o_co_on?si=rRlUrYEvmw2BLWOF

Beat this over the course of two evenings. You have a very clean mapping style and some cool original ideas (like in pursuit for example). Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access the secret exit teleporter in 15. And I kinda wish you added secrets to at least some of the levels. Regardless, good stuff.

I did find one potential softlock in map 26 - you mistagged the door by the red key. If the player were to go there without having obtained the blue key first, then there'd be no way out.

Looking forward to your next mapset!

Thanks for playing! Sorry for mistagging that door. Will fix it and upload a new version as soon as I can.

To get to the secret exit:

Spoiler

-Shoot fireblu texture in crevasse near the normal exit

-Shoot switch that is revealed on a nearby pillar

-Jump in the lava, grab a radsuit to survive, and return to the Cyberdemon area, where you'll find a gate has opened 

Dammit. I actually did step 1 but never noticed the newly revealed switch. Welp.

5 hours ago, Firedust said:

Dammit. I actually did step 1 but never noticed the newly revealed switch. Welp.

I assume you warped to the secret leves?

1 hour ago, Laocoön said:

I assume you warped to the secret leves?

No clipped through the wall to take the secret teleporter lol

Posted (edited)

I have given this another playthrough and fixed some issues. This should be the final and complete version, so no more "beta", or "RC" in the file name.

Issues fixed in the final version:

Map 4: you can now go back and kill missed monsters behind a door that was previously permanently locked after exiting the room.

Map 25: trigger to kill stationary archvile didn't work on HMP.

Map 26: some texture fixes and took care of the softlock reported by @Firedust.

Map 28: some texture fixes. It is now possible to go back and collect some missable goodies before the final fight. Monster that did not teleport on HMP now behaves as intended.

Map 29: some graphical glitches caused by linedefs referencing the wrong sector addressed.

Download the final version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IbgyqSD28VYmfaQssDs2AkpnRne_o0BF/view?usp=sharing