Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VVanTuz2OO2

Multiplayer: Starting up a Master Server that would be available worldwide from master list of servers.

Hello there. I'm late to the whole Forum Things. But as my needs raises higher and higher and my knowledge is lacking I decided to finally join.

I've been having problems for a while launching a full-on properly working server. Don't get me wrong. Making the server itself, dmflags, mappacks, mods - it's all very easy. Making it visible outside of LAN is something that I have never encountered. It works fine with Radmin but outside of it you cannot just open Doom Explorer or Doomseeker to find my server.

I did all the port forwarding servers and such instructions as it was told by many sources - it never worked for making server visible. I think the problem also having a bad internet provider because my online sessions sucks. It's clearly not designed for active online play. I will move to other place and will be preparing a PC specifically for hosting servers but I still wanna know much needed information and all precautions to make server a worldwide visible one. I think just to port-forward and writing console commands to make it not LAN is not enough for master to acknowledge my server for listing and listening.

On 5/19/2024 at 11:14 AM, Cocoloco said:

sick brother keep us updated that be historic

What the hey? Did you just respond only to the title?

On 5/19/2024 at 5:15 AM, VVanTuz2OO2 said:

Hello there. I'm late to the whole Forum Things. But as my needs raises higher and higher and my knowledge is lacking I decided to finally join.

I've been having problems for a while launching a full-on properly working server. Don't get me wrong. Making the server itself, dmflags, mappacks, mods - it's all very easy. Making it visible outside of LAN is something that I have never encountered. It works fine with Radmin but outside of it you cannot just open Doom Explorer or Doomseeker to find my server.

I did all the port forwarding servers and such instructions as it was told by many sources - it never worked for making server visible. I think the problem also having a bad internet provider because my online sessions sucks. It's clearly not designed for active online play. I will move to other place and will be preparing a PC specifically for hosting servers but I still wanna know much needed information and all precautions to make server a worldwide visible one. I think just to port-forward and writing console commands to make it not LAN is not enough for master to acknowledge my server for listing and listening.

No, making your ports open and properly forwarded is pretty much all you should have to do as far as the network goes. Other than that it sounds like you're being blocked either by your own firewall, or your ISP

no i have been having the same issue for 3 months cant fin d fix anywhere if you get it please keep me updated

Posted (edited)

Pro tips:

• If you are on a CGNAT, such as a mobile network, you cannot host a server no matter what you do with current community ports. You don't have a unique IP address or gateway and thus your router is not sufficiently able to forward traffic to you, as it never reaches you to start with. CGNAT requires a concept known as tunneling (basically hosting/routing the connection for you with yet another server) which no port currently provides.
  • Multiplayer uses UDP, not TCP. When setting up the port forward on your router, remember to select the right protocol.
  • Your server will have two IP address and which one you use depends on where you are located. Players outside your network and the master server list will be using your public IPv4 address. From inside your network (i.e in your house) will be using your private IPv4 address of the machine hosting your game (i.e typically 192.168.###.###), you also port forward to this address.
  • When starting a server, wait at least 5 minutes before checking to see if the server is listed. Note that your server may be listed (you can see its IP address) but you can't ping it, which still means that you are broadcasting to the master server list successfully.
  • If your server is listed but can't be pinged, remember that you may be very unlikely to ping your own server by the public IP address from inside your own network (yes, this means from the master server list). This concept requires what's known as a hairpin NAT, which most consumer grade hardware does not support. You will need a person outside your network to confirm if your server can actually be reached, meanwhile you need to connect to your own server manually via the private IP address or localhost (you can usually add this as a custom entry to your server browser of choice).
Edited by Edward850

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 6:21 PM, magicsofa said:

No, making your ports open and properly forwarded is pretty much all you should have to do as far as the network goes. Other than that it sounds like you're being blocked either by your own firewall, or your ISP

Might be ISP. They're pretty non-democratic around here. I'll check when there will be a chance to.

Thanks.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:41 AM, Edward850 said:

Pro tips:

• If you are on a CGNAT, such as a mobile network
  • Your server will have two IP address and which one you use depends on where you are located. Players outside your network and the master server list will be using your public IPv4 address. From inside your network (i.e in your house) will be using your private IPv4 address of the machine hosting your game (i.e typically 192.168.###.###), you also port forward to this address.
  • When starting a server, wait at least 5 minutes before checking to see if the server is listed. Note that your server may be listed (you can see its IP address) but you can't ping it, which still means that you are broadcasting to the master server list successfully.
  • If your server is listed but can't be pinged, remember that you may be very unlikely to ping your own server by the public IP address from inside your own network (yes, this means from the master server list). This concept requires what's known as a hairpin NAT, which most consumer grade hardware does not support. You will need a person outside your network to confirm if your server can actually be reached, meanwhile you need to connect to your own server manually via the private IP address or localhost (you can usually add this as a custom entry to your server browser of choice).

1. I know the issues with mobile network, not being stable, everychanging Ip address, generally unreliable yada-yada-yada.
2. Know of it, but maybe I should double check or set it manually. Sometimes network doesn't do that kinda thing automatically. My friend said he needed to set DNS and such in order for everything to work.
3. Really nice info.
4. Okay, that is also might be very helpful.

Thanks

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VVanTuz2OO2 said:

1. I know the issues with mobile network, not being stable, everychanging Ip address, generally unreliable yada-yada-yada.

None of those are the problems I indicated with CGNAT, and in fact "ever changing ip address" affects literally every network, your ISP typically assigns you a dynamic address. It's also not an actual problem with hosting servers.

Not a unique address in this case meant you are physically sharing it with a bunch of other people.

2. Know of it, but maybe I should double check or set it manually. Sometimes network doesn't do that kinda thing automatically. My friend said he needed to set DNS and such in order for everything to work.  

This statement rather concerns me as to what you are doing. At no point do you need to set anything about your DNS to host a server, and there is nothing about your IP addresses that you "set manually". Please avoid doing anything your friend suggested, it is not going to help you in this situation and in fact it will only make things worse.