Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustAthel

PyddTex! (PYDT Compilation and Restoration / Retrieval)

This is great! 

Glad to see it released.

I'm gonna add it to my 80+ random texture pack selector. Maybe make a map w/ it soon!

:D

I have on an old harddrive a partial collection of the PYDT thread. I suppose I could try to look into it if you're looking for some specific files, I might have them. That said, a quick disclaimer, it was just a bulk save of the files without any attempt at sorting things nicely by theme or by author.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

I have on an old harddrive a partial collection of the PYDT thread. I suppose I could try to look into it if you're looking for some specific files, I might have them. That said, a quick disclaimer, it was just a bulk save of the files without any attempt at sorting things nicely by theme or by author.

I'd be glad to see what you have and compare it with what I got. Depending on when you started that collection, it might cover some of the deleted images from earlier in the threads lifespan!

this is amazing! so many textures in one wad :3

I am gonna mess arround with this later tonight when i'm eating my BDay cake

Excellent work, this is amazing!

I feel like there might be stuff I posted in that thread that isn't in the pack, if it was missing (and not actually excluded intentionally, like some of the stupid meme textures) I'm sure I still have it if you have a link to the post(s) where things are missing. Or I can have a look sometime if you know there are some but aren't sure where.

Some of the animated textures with a lot of frames aren't in order, e.g. RBFIR* and RBFWO*, since they got sorted so that e.g. RBFOW2 is after RBFOW19. This is important for ANIMATED to work correctly. Note that the patch order doesn't matter, just the order in TEXTURE1. (I recommend using 01 instead of 1 for naming things when two digits are required.)

KATSKY14-17 and KATSKY3 are by me and from https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/plmsky1, though it's fine to include them in this wad if you want, but I'd prefer if they got renamed. Other skies that use those as a backdrop are fine as-is.

There are a bunch of textures that seem like they're just straight from Doom alphas or the console ports, it's fine if you want to leave these in IMO but I can help ID them if you want to take them out.

Is there an index somewhere of which people made which textures? Or is that the thing you and Gappy are working on ATM? I normally use packs like this by plucking out the textures I want rather than using it as a whole, and I'd like to know who to credit for what.

It also looks like all the textures in the wad have been converted to the Doom palette, but there are surely a few here and there that were originally posted as truecolor (which would be useful for GZDoom, other games like Heretic, etc). Are these being collected as well?

30 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Is there an index somewhere of which people made which textures? Or is that the thing you and Gappy are working on ATM? I normally use packs like this by plucking out the textures I want rather than using it as a whole, and I'd like to know who to credit for what.

It also looks like all the textures in the wad have been converted to the Doom palette, but there are surely a few here and there that were originally posted as truecolor (which would be useful for GZDoom, other games like Heretic, etc). Are these being collected as well?

I have all the textures split by the member who uploaded them on my drive in Truecolor format. I had at one point empty lump names with the names of members but I removed that to make it easier for me to sort through textures I had already put. I could definitely still get the index in the next release. As for the True colors, I'm not sure what the best way for me to share that would be, aside from packing them up in a proper PK3 format?

@plums Cheers, I'll make sure to rename them, then. I didn't realize you had published them somewhere already. Gappy and I are putting together the sheet which has what textures are missing by whom, so once that's done, we'll put it up here for more assistance. As for the animated textures thing... *sigh* I figured that would happen LMAO I'll get to fixing those up in the next release! I know there's some that are from LostRes but didn't see any harm in including them, unless this is another point I'm mistaken with.

A zdoom-structured pk3 would work great for the truecolor versions, yup. It'd be a ready-to-use resource for GZDoom, just like the .wad version is ready to use for other ports.

That'd also work great for crediting, btw -- you can use subfolders in pk3s for textures, e.g. put all of plums' textures in "textures/plums/FOOBAR.png". Since y'all already have a head start on this on Google Drive, you may even be able to use the same structure as the Drive folder, with maybe just a small bit of shuffling about.

Posted (edited)

Oooo fascinating! The only thing that's on Google Drive ATM is just PyddTex.wad but I already do have the subfolders structured on my hard drive pretty much flawlessly. I'll get to work on a ZDoom version and post it soon!

Posted (edited)

For those interested, here is the spreadsheet with the textures that are missing. I was working more heavily on this, but some mapping duties fell on my lap, so it will be some time before I update it properly. There is still a lot to cover, and there are probably things that are inevitably lost, but we will try to find as much content as possible that's missing from that thread.

Edited by DoomGappy

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

We still haven't discussed the organization, but the idea of a PK3 is nice, and probably easier to organize too! Will talk to @JustAthel in private about this later!

Oh wow, this is really cool! No need to scour through a dozen pages looking for specific texture anymore.

Love this community.

7 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

For those interested, here is the spreadsheet with the textures that are missing. I was working more heavily on this, but some mapping duties fell on my lap, so it will be some time before I update it properly. There is still a lot to cover, and there are probably things that are inevitably lost, but we will try to find as much content as possible that's missing from that thread. 

fwiw most of the missing stuff by me I should have somewhere, I gotta head to work rn but when I get home I'll see if I can dig out my entries from the depths of my harddrives and discord logs. c:

2 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

fwiw most of the missing stuff by me I should have somewhere, I gotta head to work rn but when I get home I'll see if I can dig out my entries from the depths of my harddrives and discord logs. c:

It's good to know that some of the members are still active and will probably see this thread. Me and @JustAthel would be really happy to get our hands on those textures. Hope you can remembered which ones they were!

5 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

That'd be so cool if you still have those! Please do keep us posted!

Posted (edited)

I saved quite a few textures from the thread, some of them while ago, so I'll look into what's missing and try to help out. Having an author index would massive help organization. 

Looking at the missing stuff spreadsheet, I have some of 129thVisplane's textures, in case they can't find them and a lot of Fuzzball's stuff as well.

About Fuzzball's textures, I believe that these are number 18 in the spreadsheet

580348557_NU(5).png.a8eb5786c1ec6a5fa185ba983955dcf2.png1682446616_NU(4).png.79478ba3f8c96ea2cd907f378a470c18.png

1683504670_NRCK(2).png.670bd6812477f6c52b6f69dd7312835a.png792797197_NRCK(1).png.64add32fb91eef48016ab64df9187406.png

these are number 48

81192888_WOOD(1).png.694134b2a6bb39891623634128bc928e.png504884294_WOOD(2).png.c07b15399cea141d7fb80a9bcd714a5b.png838755962_WOOD(3).png.f09b562207f20fe85da3b2f0e94031c1.png1848219779_WOOD(4).png.c98a4bc609b3b26eb969e51b26114aab.png

and these are number 52.

1226428754_STONES(5).png.9fd3451809e54c1f3d47e63373b9bb98.png969509974_STONES(2).png.5406c9dd9ffa97b1daa483b0a44efb45.png671665683_STONES(4).png.2de65276e30af9b6c944e206e75118c5.png655457384_STONES(1).png.a1f6a07cdeaf6722df815eda8c381a03.png1256041155_STONES(3).png.62c92ed0beaac2e2f6b64a7f400bfadc.png32200699_STONES(8).png.a58c0429ef800fac68df6fb18312f9b9.png35247383_STONES(7).png.d79cb22345072b321ac63d8d7e67e62c.png1311210774_STONES(6).png.49b8c9f8dab915740c4f246b40b9ab46.png185474716_STONES(9).png.9f51e00d9d023d3c027967ddc95e7927.png1203838966_STONES(10).png.074612aabaea0864436db87f320a0076.png987447888_STONES(11).png.f67cb0f7dee0cfb1d9eb7a6396a48a06.png

1508080329_D(1).png.d1cb011c874c50cf523e1e35ee7fbcad.png1646893417_D(2).png.7f0b5df2463396bc69b184b143595c46.png1049530750_D(3).png.1d8a5edd6284556b8c6c450df52aed4d.png565685325_D(4).png.8c103d746bc49f820eec2c8e916565ff.png791912492_D(5).png.ad7ff78fd46f8e4bc9b042bd69b84a18.png1334802341_D(6).png.414831cc4615a27e3265cba2d0e24f17.png1723812230_D(7).png.d83e1b7166f35efd492fdcbb7749a728.png1346735633_D(8).png.9c90ca1b6f1a25a1b5afbea93e463531.png

These are 129thVisplane's textures that I have, I think I saw a couple in the compilation. If some aren't found, I can post them.

brrrr.png.e0ad7f11c4db1511cdd64ec1ac7a764e.png

I'm pretty sure that textures by obake made for Verse Hopper (number 37 in the sheet) are all present in the wad itself as OBWAL__. The textfile states "Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse." but since they were posted in the thread, with permission to use, I asked @obake a while back, and they said it should be okay.  

These miiiiiight be number 43 but I'm not sure, I have them saved as fuzball edits by Jimmy (forum posts).

1920677273_Jimmyfuzballedit1.png.2b9737ed59c1d72930e7bebb8b421b0d.png1555508758_Jimmyfuzballedit2.png.3aa48201a92d16b7abeb1ddcfe5eb53a.png

Number 50 might be some of the WOODLMT_ textures in Jimmytex

Edited by Michael Jensen

i bring u: a pk3 of all my embed-eaten pydt contributions that i could find (and a few extras that i found in my mess of projects along the way). i used long texturenames in the pk3, so for wad purposes they'll need to be renamed/cut down. sorry about that, i just find long texturenames easier to deal with, source engine modding had me spoiled </3

i actually ended up recreating the 32-tall bricks and brick mixes because i couldn't find those. didn't find my SKSNAKE variants that the spreadsheet mentions either, but they Might be the SNAKE01-09 entries in the pyddtex wad. maybe. sincerest apologies if someone else actually did those, i barely remember what i did yesterday let alone a texture i did in 2018 lmao

lemme know if there's anything else missing that i had made and i'll try to either track it down or recreate it c:

ETA: ^ yesss i completely forgot about the shawn transitions that i did. i don't believe i have those on me either, so @Michael Jensen if you could post those (and the GSTONEs for posterity's sake, while i did end up remaking them, it would be nice to have the originals) that would be excellent thank you <3

Some more lost textures: PYDT.zip

All textures that were linked from Discord should be available on the Wayback Machine if they were posted before March 2024.

I don't care what anyone else says, this should be mentioned at the caco's.

Posted (edited)

This is very cool! I might use this pack for whatever project I end up making for this year's NaNoWADMo (although on second thought, my ADHD combined with 8000 textures is probably not a very good combination for speed. I'll see though).

There's a few textures with a width that isn't a power of 2. Also, there were a few textures I posted in that thread back in August that aren't included in this (1, 2). I feel like they fit the criteria for inclusion, but it's no big deal whether you decide to add them or not.

Posted (edited)

Super cool, everybody!! I'll get to adding and sorting through these in a few days! Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I don't care what anyone else says, this should be mentioned at the caco's.

You flatter me, but I think it'd be better for people with actual original WADs to be mentioned, all I'm doing is just putting pretty little pictures in a pretty big WAD file, with only like 0.5% of them being slightly edited by me :p

Edit: I noticed anyways that I wrote this AFTER the mention on the cacoward thread. I greatly appreciate it! I didn't think this would be as appreciated as it is :D

Edited by JustAthel

On 6/10/2024 at 11:59 PM, JustAthel said:

Super cool, everybody!! I'll get to adding and sorting through these in a few days! Thank you!!

You flatter me, but I think it'd be better for people with actual original WADs to be mentioned, all I'm doing is just putting pretty little pictures in a pretty big WAD file, with only like 0.5% of them being slightly edited by me :p

Edit: I noticed anyways that I wrote this AFTER the mention on the cacoward thread. I greatly appreciate it! I didn't think this would be as appreciated as it is :D

You are right, original WADS need to be mentioned, but compendiums like these should aswell. A resource compilation like this is infinitely inspiring for every new mapper out there, what with you providing a Texture Resource Encyclopedia.

Awesome!! I'll get these imported soon. Sorry for the radio silence, I've been having some technical difficulties and managing a fair amount of stuff lately, I got halfway through putting every texture in a pk3 format for ZDoom users, just trying to make sure the naming conventions are the same throughout both versions. I should get an update out pretty soon with everything we got!

Thought I'd bump this thread with a bit of an update -- a slew of technical difficulties with my laptop have stopped me from being able to download and put together new textures for a good while, but with most of my other files and projects organized, I am now slowly getting back to organizing this! I'm going to be releasing a ZDoom ready version within the next couple of weeks, I'm trying to get the names of each file to match the names given in PyddTex.wad for the end user's convenience, as well as getting together a configuration file for UDB. I'm thinking of categorizing them by the member that's uploaded them. I'll be sure to include the found textures that have been posted to this thread in the next update of Pydd. Will keep everyone here posted!

Honestly not sure how the best way to show this would be, but work on PyddTex has resumed! For the past couple of days, I've been reorganizing every file I've downloaded and putting each of them in a pk3 structure. Every texture is grouped by the member who posted them, which should (with fingers crossed) make crediting a LOT easier, especially for those who like to pick and choose textures from packs. To make things consistent, I am also going through each file and renaming them before recompiling everything into a WAD format. There's probably some easier way to automate this process that I'm not aware of, but so far the good ol' fashioned way hasn't really failed me yet. I'm going to be taking apart the WADs that were uploaded to the original PYDT thread and combining all of those assets together.

As of writing this post, the PYDT thread seems to have calmed down quite a bit, I have every* texture all the way up to page 148 downloaded and implemented in my pk3 file. Up next comes writing the ANIMATED and SWANTBLS files properly and testing them all out, as well as abiding by certain renaming schemes that were requested in this thread.

*-It's over 8,000 textures, I know I missed a few good ones in the thread!

When PyddTex v3 comes out, I'll then be focused on going through the thread and further filling out that spreadsheet, including updating it to reflect textures that have already been imported from this thread. We're moving along pretty well, I'd say!

I would like to ask though what our general consensus is on some of the textures that have been AI-generated. As I'm against such creations, I realize that picking and choosing what gets preserved and what doesn't is rather unfair of me as an impromptu archivist -- would there be any objection in including these textures in the pack? Or should they be left out entirely / categorized on their own merits?

On 7/31/2024 at 1:26 AM, JustAthel said:

I would like to ask though what our general consensus is on some of the textures that have been AI-generated. As I'm against such creations, I realize that picking and choosing what gets preserved and what doesn't is rather unfair of me as an impromptu archivist -- would there be any objection in including these textures in the pack? Or should they be left out entirely / categorized on their own merits?

I'm also very against ai generated assets, but it probably would make sense to have them separated in their own pack or separate folder in the main pack to at least keep things organized

Personally, I'm not against AI assets (Obviously, as I generated a few even if I had to edit them heavily) but I guess it makes sense to separate it for benefit of those who find them objectionable.

So, here's the list of files I have saved. So if you get a broken image and the image's filename is found on there, I can try to reupload it.

https://pastebin.com/CXvyTrbW (0-L)

https://pastebin.com/Q8RqjuXa (M-V)

https://pastebin.com/w0AtueUd (X-Z + bonus ZDoom thread)

The last one has had a few names slightly altered because pastebin was complaining about bad words. 🙄 So, foggery was actually fuckery, possum was actually pussy, and there's a shot that was actually shit. I didn't name the files like that, I just saved them. :p