Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BhopCyber

DOOM: Action RPG or FPS?

Is Doom FPS or Action RPG? (Just like how Ahoy said on his video "What genre is DOOM?"

What do you think an RPG is? What elements of an RPG does Doom have?

This is a very silly question. It's an FPS. It has no meaningful RPG elements.

3 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

This is a very silly question. It's an FPS. It has no meaningful RPG elements.

I mean, are you sure it's FPS? Doom is not really 3D, it is limited, but you know, you can't even put two rooms in top of each other... Monsters are sprites, Weapons are sprites... Maybe it isn't RPG, but i'm sure it's not FPS either...

1 minute ago, BhopCyber said:

I mean, are you sure it's FPS? Doom is not really 3D, it is limited, but you know, you can't even put two rooms in top of each other... Monsters are sprites, Weapons are sprites... Maybe it isn't RPG, but i'm sure it's not FPS either...

Doom is 3D, and since when was stacking rooms on top of each other a requirement of FPS games?

I was browsing the forum and saw this very interesting post, so I quickly created an account to give my opinion.

Doom is an FPS and there is no reason why it shouldn't be, it meets all the requirements to be an FPS, Doom is true 3D! It just has the limitations of its time, having these limitations doesn't mean it isn't true 3D or that it isn't an FPS, those are silly things.

and if this discussion opens up more... it will just be a waste of time, Doom will always be considered an FPS everywhere.

Looking forward to your follow-up thread, "Is Doom actually 3D? I saw this one Youtuber and--"

Doom is in first person, doom is a shooter, it is an fps.

See, I thought that the requirement for being a first person shooter were being a game where the core gameplay is shooting things from a first person perspective. But apparently, if the things you shoot are sprites instead of polygons, it's an action RPG? So Wolfenstein 3D is an action RPG, too; but Quake, being polygonal 3D, is a true FPS. Somebody gotta tell id Software that Wolf 3D and Doom are in a different genre entirely from Quake. This is just silly.

An RPG is a game where you have characters that you create and define. If you go through character generation when you start a game, it's an RPG; even if it's a very limited chargen such as in Deus Ex where the identity of your character is preset (you're always going to be JC Denton) but you still get to choose your starting skills. An RPG has character traits you choose, and a system to increase those traits and gain additional ones as you go.

An Action RPG focuses on combat and exploration, but is still an RPG. Your ability to role-play can be quite limited, as in The Elder Scrolls: Arena where your interactions with NPCs is limited to buying/selling things and accepting fetch quests, but it's still there. Strife is actually the closest Doom got to be an action RPG back in the 1990s. Hexen has some RPG-like trappings but it's really not one.

6 minutes ago, Bendy1 said:

Doom is in first person, doom is a shooter, it is an fps.

Doom is third person though
image.png.c0f7d48fcd44e81f6b80ffa3942a0d4b.png

3 minutes ago, Milkeno said:

Doom is third person though
image.png.c0f7d48fcd44e81f6b80ffa3942a0d4b.png

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

alright, think i got it, doom is fps. ty all and dane-se você pitter faria! muahahahahahha

Just now, BhopCyber said:

dane-se você pitter faria! muahahahahahha

vá com Deus

7 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

doom is a real-time Blobber STG

In my last run with the Duchy of Plasma, I didn't sire enough cells and the neighbouring barons claimed all my territory >:(

nao vejo motivos para voce  um cara tao inteligente pensar um negocio desses, boa noite para voce tbm, jogue seu RPG ACTION em paz KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Alright, sorry to bother you all, that was a goofy discussion between me and my friend @fen1xs0 (we're both brazilians)

After a little bit of research, I just found out that both aren't wrong because the word FPS wasn't very common back in 90s, so the theory of doom being an Action RPG isn't that wrong, you know... Whatever, let's just say that doom is third person just like how @Milkeno said LOL. Thank you guys <3.

Posted (edited)

listen to me

bhop, stop being a drug addict and accept it bro, the mess is your father in his underwear, naked in my bed on all fours

Just now, Calors_UnderFreak said:

listen to me

bhop, stop being a drug addict and accept it bro, the mess is your father in his underwear, naked in my bed on all fours

go away Carlos! you little hard rock enjoyer!

2 hours ago, BhopCyber said:

After a little bit of research, I just found out that both aren't wrong because the word FPS wasn't very common back in 90s, so the theory of doom being an Action RPG isn't that wrong, you know...

The word FPS was coined to replace "Doom-like" as Doom got older and stopped being the yardstick by which other shooters were measured.

By the same token, you could say that Doom was a 4X game, too. I mean, the term "4X" was coined in 1993, same year as Doom, so it existed back then, and by your logic of genre names existing being the only measure by which games are identified, that makes Doom a 4X game.

And in fact, when was the term "Action RPG" even coined? I don't remember seeing it in the 90s. Looking at the references on the Wikipedia page, while they do list Action RPG games going all the way back to the 1970s, the sources that calls them "Action RPGs" are all from the 2010s and later. They don't have any source from the 20th century using the term "Action RPG" back then.

Therefore, I am forced to conclude that "Action RPG" wasn't very common back in the 1990s, so the theory of The Legend of Zelda being a Doom-like isn't that wrong, you know...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stabbey said:

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Rpg.jpg

5 hours ago, BhopCyber said:

I mean, are you sure it's FPS?

Are we literally questioning if one of the definitive First-Person-Shooters is actually a FPS?

YOU are Doomguy. You see the gun in front of you when you walk it, when you shoot it. It is in first person.