Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alaux

Nugget Doom 3.2.0 (updated July 29th, '24)

Posted (edited)

Edit: found the issue, I was using "nughud_chunk1" instead of "nughud_sbchunk1"... oops

Spoiler

image.png.a76408196d629fdc3b83042ecacf9351.png
image.png.2e752db1ea2091ae0021b52da82825c3.png
Anyway, think i got it working, just the 50/50 frag/arms graphic is the oddity.

Edited by Beemer : found the issue

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Beemer said:

Anyway, think i got it working, just the 50/50 frag/arms graphic is the oddity.

You mean that some status bars show Arms and others show Frag? The latter is what they should show. You can draw STARMS as a patch, on top of the chunks.

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

You mean that some status bars show Arms and others show Frag? The latter is what they should show. You can draw STARMS as a patch, on top of the chunks.

Yeah some wads' STBARS have ARMS on the graphic itself and not a separate patch, so I just ended up putting the mugshot where it would've usually have been for compatability

Spoiler

343981626-b07e3fa9-01a9-4228-97bb-0d4bb89c589f.png.ded46fb4e047c63adc654d921bf49ecc.png

1 hour ago, Dweller Dark said:

When it comes to the resolution scaling, where on the scale would 400p and 800p be?

200p is 100%, so the ones you listed are 200% and 400% respectively.

Just now, Alaux said:

200p is 100%, so the ones you listed are 200% and 400% respectively.

Thank you so much!

Posted (edited)

Hello again! Not sure if it's a bug or completely intentional, but switching to the Shotgun from the Pistol will switch to the Super Shotgun instead when using a controller.

Can't really upload a video since Doomworld doesn't support mp4s, but I can confirm it doesn't happen with Woof!.

Edited by sencuss : Forgot to say it happens when using a controller (i am smart)

16 minutes ago, sencuss said:

Hello again! Not sure if it's a bug or completely intentional, but switching to the Shotgun from the Pistol will switch to the Super Shotgun instead when using a controller.

Can't really upload a video since Doomworld doesn't support mp4s, but I can confirm it doesn't happen with Woof!.

Which versions of Woof and Nugget? I believe Woof had the same issue as of 14.5.0, but it has been fixed for the next release.

14 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Which versions of Woof and Nugget? I believe Woof had the same issue as of 14.5.0, but it has been fixed for the next release.

I was using the most recent artifact builds for both.

4 minutes ago, sencuss said:

I was using the most recent artifact builds for both.

In that case, the fix will be merged into Nugget upon Woof's next release.

Next time you want to determine if an issue originates from Woof or Nugget, you should compare your Nugget build with whichever Woof release it is based on -- the current Nugget master is based on Woof 14.5.0, which does have the same issue.

2 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Next time you want to determine if an issue originates from Woof or Nugget, you should compare your Nugget build with whichever Woof release it is based on -- the current Nugget master is based on Woof 14.5.0, which does have the same issue.

Got it, will do next time.

Sorry, I totally forgot to get back to you about the custom skill thing!!

It works as expected for as much as I played with it, which was some. I couldn't find any weird bugs by trying unusual settings.

I did find it was a bit weird to be in the "New Game" menu, since part of the draw is that you can adjust skill settings without exactly starting a new game, depending on how you define that. I'm not sure where a better place for it to be is, admittedly.

@Alaux, the Appimage doesn't seem to run on Linux Mint 21.03.  It crashes with a "glibc_2.38 not found" error.  I don't think that's installed in 21.03 (or Ubuntu 20.04).  Just thought I'd let you know. :)

28 minutes ago, Average said:

the Appimage doesn't seem to run on Linux Mint 21.03.  It crashes with a "glibc_2.38 not found" error.  I don't think that's installed in 21.03 (or Ubuntu 20.04).

Dependencies and AppImages aren't things I've dealt with nor understand at all. Could you try the AppImages for Woof 14.5.0 and its latest master? Either Nugget's build scripts are outdated, or Woof was/is affected too.

13 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Dependencies and AppImages aren't things I've dealt with nor understand at all. Could you try the AppImages for Woof 14.5.0 and its latest master? Either Nugget's build scripts are outdated, or Woof was/is affected too.

I just tested them and both work fine.  I'm very new to Linux so I'm lacking in understanding, too.  Sorry I can't be more informative.

22 minutes ago, Average said:

I just tested them and both work fine.  I'm very new to Linux so I'm lacking in understanding, too.  Sorry I can't be more informative.

Don't worry. I'm guessing that Nugget's scripts are outdated. Can you fix it on your end, e.g. by installing the missing dependency? Believe me when I say that I know less about Linux than you do.

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

Simple autosaving; not integrated into the menus yet, but still useful for backups.

Is this already enabled or does it have to be set by the user?

3 hours ago, Dweller Dark said:

Is this already enabled or does it have to be set by the user?

It needs to be set, by changing autosave_interval in the CFG. However, do beware of the occassional stutter when the game autosaves.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alaux said:

It needs to be set, by changing autosave_interval in the CFG. However, do beware of the occassional stutter when the game autosaves.

I have another question or two about the autosave system: How do I tell when it autosaves, and how do I use the autosave? I set it for 600 seconds and played through a fair bit of Knee-Deep in the Dead to test, but it never appeared in the load/save menu and I never noticed any message or the stutter you mentioned. But I also never made any manual saves or quicksaves either, so I wonder if you have to save for it to work. 

EDIT: There are 3 "nuggaut#.dsg" files in the savegame folder, are these the autosave files?

8 minutes ago, Dweller Dark said:

There are 3 "nuggaut#.dsg" files in the savegame folder, are these the autosave files?

Yes. As I said, they're not accessible in the menus yet, so you have to rename them to use them; that's why I presented them as "useful for backups".

There's nothing to tell that the game did an autosave, other than seeing if the autosave files appear. However, you should see a warning in-game if the autosave failed.

Making manual saves is completely independent, and shouldn't affect autosaves other than resetting the time until the next autosave, since it doesn't make sense to make an autosave right after you saved manually.

If you want automatic periodic saves that you can use in-game as soon as they're made, try the rewind feature: it's practically that. Autosaves are meant to work alongside rewind, since the rewind key-frames are stripped-down saves stored in memory and are lost as soon as you close the game, while autosaves are permanent, nearly complete saves, just missing the preview snapshots which I omitted because they take a bit too long to save.

4 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Yes. As I said, they're not accessible in the menus yet, so you have to rename them to use them; that's why I presented them as "useful for backups".

There's nothing to tell that the game did an autosave, other than seeing if the autosave files appear. However, you should see a warning in-game if the autosave failed.

Making manual saves is completely independent, and shouldn't affect autosaves other than resetting the time until the next autosave, since it doesn't make sense to make an autosave right after you saved manually.

If you want automatic periodic saves that you can use in-game as soon as they're made, try the rewind feature: it's practically that. Autosaves are meant to work alongside rewind, since the rewind key-frames are stripped-down saves stored in memory and are lost as soon as you close the game, while autosaves are permanent, nearly complete saves, just missing the preview snapshots which I omitted because they take a bit too long to save.

I gotcha. Does it matter what you rename the autosaves to, as long as they're still the same filetype?

7 minutes ago, Dweller Dark said:

Does it matter what you rename the autosaves to, as long as they're still the same filetype?

They need to be named like normal saves to be detected by the port, so nuggsav#.dsg.

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

Don't worry. I'm guessing that Nugget's scripts are outdated. Can you fix it on your end, e.g. by installing the missing dependency? Believe me when I say that I know less about Linux than you do.

Reading around it was advised not to manually update that dependency as it could have dire consequences with other software.  I updated my Mint installation to the very recently released version 22.  The good news is that the latest Nugget Doom works without a hitch now... the bad news is that it's broken pretty much everything else that I use! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Average said:

The good news is that the latest Nugget Doom works without a hitch now

The latest master artifact?

2 hours ago, Average said:

the bad news is that it's broken pretty much everything else that I use! 

How exactly?

EDIT: I just realized that you're most likely talking about your OS and not Nugget, my bad. Dismiss these questions.

Edited by Alaux

I forgot about it for a little bit, but I tried running THATCHER.wad (or Thatcher's Techbase) with Nugget recently and it just crashes before the title screen appears. Even does it on the latest release too.

What is the "improved powerup run-out effect" supposed to do? I couldn't tell the difference myself.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

What is the "improved powerup run-out effect" supposed to do? I couldn't tell the difference myself.

Not too sure how to explain it, but I'll try:

When a powerup is running out, its palette/colormap effect starts "blinking" (lacking a better term here), we know that. While most of the blinking occurs every 8 tics, at the very beginning of the run-out effect there's a sudden single-tic blink. The setting gets rid of that singular blink when enabled.

A very-ery small detail, I must admit.

4 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Not too sure how to explain it, but I'll try:

When a powerup is running out, its palette/colormap effect starts "blinking" (lacking a better term here), we know that. While most of the blinking occurs every 8 tics, at the very beginning of the run-out effect there's a sudden single-tic blink. The setting gets rid of that singular blink when enabled.

A very-ery small detail, I must admit.

TIL, thanks for pointing out another detail about this game that I never noticed before but which I'll never be able to unsee.

9 hours ago, Dweller Dark said:

I forgot about it for a little bit, but I tried running THATCHER.wad (or Thatcher's Techbase) with Nugget recently and it just crashes before the title screen appears. Even does it on the latest release too.

This should fix it. Could you try it yourself, just in case? Windows autobuilds here.

By the way, I got the crash with THATCHERCADE.wad, not with THATCHER.wad. Were you actually talking about the former?