Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pepo

The Doom movie wasn't bad

I picked up a DVD of the 2005 movie yesterday and watched it at 3am this morning. People kept telling me it's boring and was a cashgrab but honestly I really enjoyed it. The characters were entertaining, the action was cool, the practical and CGI effects were amazing, the FPS scene kicked ass, and the set design was really accurate to Doom 3. I also checked out the DVD's bonus features since I liked the movie so much and found out it was actually a huge passion project and not the cashgrab the internet will have you believe. The movie team hired an actual military trainer to teach the actors how to use guns for months, the man who made the practical effects did hours researching photos of the demons to make them accurate to the game, the team behind the FPS scene spent months to make it perfect, and the DVD had interviews with the team and actors to talk about their experiences with Doom and they even got id employee's like John Carmack to talk about how the game was made. Overall, solid movie. Not some big shooting fest like Eternal, but still a fun movie.

11 minutes ago, Pepo said:

The movie team hired an actual military trainer to teach the actors how to use guns for months

Isn't this the movie with the scene where they stand in a circle and point loaded guns at each other for no reason?

3 hours ago, Pepo said:

The movie team hired an actual military trainer to teach the actors how to use guns for months

Yeah the part where they shot the demons with live ammo for real was sweet

I watched the movie in the theater. I still can't forget the excitement when the FPS scenes started.

I thought the movie was okay, though I watched in back in like 2006. My problem with it was that it didn't stick to what Doom is. Doom is about stopping an invasion from hell. As I remember, instead they made up some drug or something that activates a person's psychopathic gene and turns them into demons. And it didn't even have all the demons. I remember The Rock said it'd have all the demons in the game.

On 7/23/2024 at 7:43 PM, dasho said:

Yeah the part where they shot the demons with live ammo for real was sweet

The ammo were props but in order to make it look as realistic as possible (This was during Hollywood's realism era) they used real gun handling to make it seem real

The movie needed to be more true to the Doom universe. Have Hell, not some drug. And the characters are crap with pretty average writing.

If they addressed those then it would be fairly solid. As others say, if the movie wasn't called Doom then it would be more forgiveable

1 hour ago, Pepo said:

The ammo were props but in order to make it look as realistic as possible (This was during Hollywood's realism era) they used real gun handling to make it seem real

Is the "realism era" what people now call the pre-CGI-slop era? 

Man, I haven't watched the Doom 2005 movie since some time, I think it was half a decade ago? I don't know, but I enjoyed the movie honestly.

But I'll be honest and tell you that I watched it when I wasn't in the Doom community, so I only knew about it's popularity, the basics and only that.

I still geeked out on the FPS scene because... you know, FPS SCENE?!

I should watch it again some time.

P.D: Is the movie still on Netflix? Cause I do remember it was on there... just like how Red VS Blue was on there too.

I really liked it too. A far cry and many DooM and demon references (iirc) were lost for whatever reason. But not a bad movie at all, if it where released this year it might even got a good reception.

And yes, the bonus content and other files where really cool. I remember one where they showed the Xbox port of DooM 3 and talked about the game, I think Carmak was there as well.

Posted (edited)

I wonder homany people got motion sickness when it showed the first person part with the gun??  I heard about this movie a long time ago but didn't watch it after seeing that part in the preview.  I will watch it someday, I got these anti nauseous tablets.  I also remember seeing The Rock in it, must be interesting. 

I know I watched this way back when it came out, but I can't remember a thing about it. I bought a dvd copy of this from a charity shop, I should give it a spin and see how it holds up

AW HELL NO, this movie sucked intensely.  I always said they should've just released a playthrough of Doom 3 in cinemas instead

I hate it because there's a ton of potential for both horror and action in a Doom movie, but every time they manage to ruin it.

The first one has basically nothing to do with doom so it's hard to even object. It's generic action schlock. Not offensive, but not doom.

More so, it particularly stings in the case of Annihilation because the opening to that movie is EXACTLY what I would want as the core of a doom movie. Aliens inspired sets, dude enters the portal, comes out on Phobos as basically a Deadite. Perfect set up!

Even if it looked cheap as fuck, they had ALL THE PIECES to make a decent doom movie, and they still fucked it up with the annoying characters and plot.

Doom 2016 and Eternal show that you can do Doom and still have a solid narrative and world-building stringing things along, so it's not the fault of the property that Hollywood can't make it work.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:11 PM, Yousuf Anik said:

Compared to Doom:Annihilation which is a complete trash, this movie was great.

2 hours ago, ZombiemanMastermind said:

It's a dumb fun movie. Still better than Annihilation

I still think Annihilation was a better Doom movie than the 2005 one.

36 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

If you find value in it, I'm happy. That means it has a purpose since SOMEONE enjoys it.

36 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Well what I saw from some review sites that many people actually liked the Annihilation movie at least.

1 minute ago, Yousuf Anik said:

Well what I saw from some review sites that many people actually liked the Annihilation movie at least.

They're entitled to their opinion.