Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

On 2/16/2024 at 12:13 PM, fabian said:

Woof! 14.0.0 is released on Feb 16, 2024.

A complete list of new features, improvements and bug fixes can be found on the release page:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/latest

Binaries for Windows are available here:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_14.0.0/Woof-14.0.0-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_14.0.0/Woof-14.0.0-win64.zip

An AppImage for Linux is available here:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_14.0.0/Woof-14.0.0-Linux.appimage

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

This is a rather incredible release due to a few key factors that make this stick out:

• Arbitrary resolutions support. Now we can finally have Woof at the native resolution, potentially enabling razor sharp MBF-compatible dooming.
  • Integrated Voxel support.
  • Inclusion of NanoBSP. I am glad Andrew's work pays off and enabled Woof to integrated a alternative compared to stock builders.

There is a lot more ofcourse, but its things like these that make Woof stick out and really have a interesting edge over other ports. I hope that especially the integrated voxel support/NanoBSP support will inspire other ports to look at Woof's code and consider doing the same. Great release, Fabian and Rfomin. Edit: And @ceski ofcourse :)

Edited by Redneckerz : Adding ceski

Wow, jump all the way to version 14! Enough features to warrant a big version increase, or is someone triskaidekaphobic?

edit: hah, just saw the commit history on git. Didn't figure you for a superstitious type Fabian! ;)

I've been on Woof! stable for a bit while you guys were sorting out the dynamic resolution stuff, so this is exciting to see everything finalized.

Edited by plums

Wow, what a massive release.

My favorite BOOM/MBF port has become even better than it already was.

The new menu, the resolution slider in combination with the dynamic resolution toggle that gives possibilties for every need,

and voxels are a big step forward.

Thanks to all who were involved :)

Edited by Meerschweinmann

Wow, I already liked Woof a lot & here it takes a massive leap forward!  The redesigned menus are excellent from a user friendliness standpoint, I will always welcome more ports with support for arbitrary resolutions & support for Voxel Doom 2 is just fantastic.

Best Doom port with a software renderer. Period. It runs most of the maps released these days while keeping that vanilla touch, which is hard to beat. There are still others I use on the side, mostly Inter-Doom, due to its truecolor renderer.

Speaking of which... cough, cough... ;)

so far I'm lovin these new changes, the menu UI got a glow up and everything is much more organized which is always such a big plus. However, and while I know the update just dropped I do have one nitpick about it: the framerate dips every now and then when playing on uncapped framerate turned off. I'm playing this w/ Anomaly Report map 11 w/ widescreen mode off to get that classic doom experience, and is a little weird I encounter this now and then compared to the previous version of 12.

Guess I'll stick out with Woof and then Nugget for right now, got tired of conservative DSDA without customization (no negative), and this miraculous update came out about time.

Also...

"How would you highly not fly, do not forget who you were crawling." - don't know why, but Woof feels more classic than DSDA Doom for me (though I love them equally), isn't it because of WinMBF roots...

19 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

However, and while I know the update just dropped I do have one nitpick about it: the framerate dips every now and then when playing on uncapped framerate turned off.

Are you playing with Dynamic Resolution (under Video Options) on or off? Do you have vsync on?

14 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

However, and while I know the update just dropped I do have one nitpick about it: the framerate dips every now and then when playing on uncapped framerate turned off. I'm playing this w/ Anomaly Report map 11 w/ widescreen mode off to get that classic doom experience, and is a little weird I encounter this now and then compared to the previous version of 12.

I've seen a few reports of problems with the Windows power saving feature (Woof doesn't looks like demanding program), try testing with a different power plan.

6 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

dynamic resolution ye

vsync is also a yes

What are your system specs? Woof now uses a higher resolution by default and tries to adjust it dynamically to maintain a good framerate. If your system can't handle that for some reason, then set the resolution scale to 200%, which is the old default.

downloaded woof on my laptop since I'm gonna be away from home for a good while:
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB

Graphics card is Intel UHD Graphics

It's a standard laptop just used for my college work and later down the line will be used for grad school and then once I get the job I want, but it's pretty decent at running low spec games when I'm away from home :P. Probably won't see a problem like this on my actual desktop at home.

1 minute ago, VoanHead said:

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz   2.90 GHz

That's more than enough, but what's your resolution scale (it's in Woof's video options, default 300% should work fine)?

resolution scale is set to 100%, since I’m playing anomaly report in as vanilla as I want it to be (crunchy sprites, no widescreen, no uncapped framerate, still get dips here and there)

Even FOV? Very unexpected and welcome feature, testing right now!

A big thank you to everyone involved.

edit:

Did anyone test Direct3D (11 or 12 on Windows 11) vs OpenGL vs OpenGL ES?

Edited by CacoKnight

1 hour ago, CacoKnight said:

I briefly tested the settings on a heavy map (Map31 of Antaresian Reliquary), in a Nugget branch that's almost up to date with Woof: Direct3D had performance roughly equal to OpenGL, but without Alt+Tab'ing issues; Direct3D 11 was about 30% slower; and FWIW, Software was stuttery despite reporting FPS similar to D3D/OGL. All other settings (D3D12, both OGL ES's) seemingly don't work for me; the console output says that I'm still using Direct 3D when I try using them.

I'd guess that the results will vary greatly between computers, though.

EDIT: Forgot a very important detail -- I'm on Windows 7, as always.

2 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

OpenGL and Direct3D11 are the fastest. Depending on your graphics chip the one or the other ist faster. Nvidia and AMD prefer Direct3D11. Intel prefers OpenGL.

Here you can find benchmarks with different Hardware:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/pull/1359#issuecomment-1874185881

Friendship ended with DSDA, now Woof is my best friend!

Great release, native resolution is BIG!

I just installed Woof 14.00 on MacOs via Homebrew and I must say it does not feels right to me, I'll probably stick to previous release.

Mouse menu control doesn't work properly, I have to keep the cursor on the lower left side of the screen for it to function and even then it does not allow me to select or change options in the lists. Does not work at all with trackpad either.

My biggest gripe is the custom resolution slider. I think increased resolution was conceptually a totally unnecessary addition for this port. If I want the classic, demo compatible, software experience at higher res I use DSDA... what's the point? As a Crispy lover - both aesthetically and philosophically - Woof was my favourite port as an advanced and elegant updated version of the former. 

Most importantly... doesn't look good either. Up until this point Woof presented a pristine, perfect 640x400 look, now what I have is that hateful weapon sprite pixel scaling wiggle that is typical of increased resolution ports... except now is there even at 320x200! It makes the game look and feel cheap to me and honestly I can't bother playing at all with this issue.

I really hope this will be fixed in future releases...

26 minutes ago, s4f3s3x said:

now what I have is that hateful weapon sprite pixel scaling wiggle that is typical of increased resolution ports...

I hate this too. But i don't have this with Woof 14. Do you have it with 200% and dynamic resolution off?

1 minute ago, Meerschweinmann said:

I hate this too. But i don't have this with Woof 14. Do you have it with 200% and dynamic resolution off?

Yes. I have it with any resolution percentage, and turning ON / OFF dynamic resolution doesn't have any effect.

I observe the same issue with the weapon psprites. I think it might be dependent on monitor resolution. (I'm at 1920 x 1200)

I have looked a bit sharper. s4f3s3x is correct. The 2 top pixels of the pistol vary in size when the player moves and then stops. But that is not the same scaling wobble i noticed at other high res ports that dont use a multiple of 320x200 and fortunately i can not notice it so easy as in other ports. Mostly i had noticed this in other ports with the rocketlauncher at the four "rings".

With Woof the rings dont wobble, but when the player stops to move the whole inner of the sprite jumps like one or a half pixel up. It is not really noticable on my 2560x1600 screen, but it is there.

Crispy in 400p and International-Doom in any res higher than 400p dont have this phenomen. First i thought it could have something to do with dynamic res, as this can switch in 50 pixel steps, which is not a multiple of DOOMs 200 lines in height. But it seems to be something different.

Edited by Meerschweinmann

40 minutes ago, mikeday said:

I'm at 1920 x 1200

Shouldn't this resolution not be affected from scaling artefacts? 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 were all the years the good ones for DOOMs 20% vertical strechted 320x200. When you have it too, that could be a hint for the devs.

> re: weapon wobble

I admit that we made a tiny change to the weapon sprite rendering from the previous version. I think we should revert it, it doesn't fix much.

1 hour ago, s4f3s3x said:

Mouse menu control doesn't work properly, I have to keep the cursor on the lower left side of the screen for it to function and even then it does not allow me to select or change options in the lists. Does not work at all with trackpad either.

That's unfortunate, it seems SDL2 behaves differently on macOS? We tested it under Windows/Linux only. Keyboard menu controls are exactly the same as before.

Reporting two issues:

1) woof-setup.exe gets false-positived as a trojan by Win Defender

Spoiler

1500948723_Screenshot2024-02-17125133.png.03275e0548d7707c8b5a604bf5e3f277.png

2) There's a weird bleeding effect on the very far right of the screen when using 400% or native resolution (ONLY HAPPENS ON CERTAIN FOVs)

Spoiler

woof0000.png.c700378ebfe2fe8b53bdd36069b3ec5a.png

Edited by Scorcher