Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the new masterlevels wad from the official release, but as shown in this thread here, the skybox is wrong and appears the same way in Doom Retro, Woof, and Nugget:

Posted (edited)

Looking at the UMAPINFO included in the new masterlevels.wad, it seems they did this on purpose for... continuity reasons? The whole thing is now internally divided into episodes, rather sorted by authors (maps 1-9: Willits + Klie + Mustaine / 10-15: Kvernmo's "Black Tower" + Anderson / 16-21: Flynn + Kvernmo), so jumping around between different skies might have seemed weird or inconsistent. Since they've changed the general order of the levels as well, you can consider it a different version compared to the file that was previously available.

If you need it back the way it was, I have composed this fix file. It assumes you load this with doom2.wad and masterlevels.wad from the Kex Remaster.

What this fix does: 
- Restores original skies

- Bonus: New level name patches which also include the author names in golden letters

Download fix for masterlevels.wad (0.2 MB)

Edited by NightFright

Posted (edited)

Will you be adding support for the new "ID24" spec once it's available to the public?

Is there a way to exclude certain flats from being warped? "Legacy of Rust" has a few of them (e.g. NUKWALK1-4, FLOOR8_1-6) which shouldn't be affected by the feature. I mean, I could just turn it off completely, but then I'd lose the nice water/slime animations.

3 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Is there a way to exclude certain flats from being warped? "Legacy of Rust" has a few of them (e.g. NUKWALK1-4, FLOOR8_1-6) which shouldn't be affected by the feature. I mean, I could just turn it off completely, but then I'd lose the nice water/slime animations.

Nope, currently not. You can only swirl flats that would be animated else, but not more or less.

8 minutes ago, NightFright said:

If you really wanted, I *think* you could edit the ANIMATED lump of the wad to define what flats you want to swirl (give them a speed of 65536) and leave the global flat warping option off.

4 minutes ago, plums said:

If you really wanted, I *think* you could edit the ANIMATED lump of the wad to define what flats you want to swirl (give them a speed of 65536) and leave the global flat warping option off.

Yes, right, that'd be a solution.

Alright, it's something. Even though this would then also mean one would have to define more exceptions for other PWADs. In case there are custom flats which SHOULD be warped, that is. But well, it'll have to do for now.  

I wonder if it'd be possible to heuristically tell if an animated flat should not be warped. I suppose something like checking the pixels to see how many change from one frame to the next, and if more than X% do not change, then don't warp, perhaps... Eh, probably overkill and under-reliable.

Posted (edited)

In general, the port tends to warp flats from e.g. teleporters when using PWADs. The possibility of defining exceptions might open the door for writing some sort of compatibility patches. However, since we're talking about enhancing an optional, purely visual feature, I'm not sure if the devs wish to explore this any further. But well, since Inter-Doom could also profit, maybe @Julia Nechaevskaya wants to give it a shot.

36 minutes ago, NightFright said:

The possibility of defining exceptions might open the door for writing some sort of compatibility patches.

A lump similar to the one used to define the brightmaps will probably be enough.

Posted (edited)

For some reason Woof refuses to launch with the nerve.wad file included in the rerelease, it launches just fine on DSDA.

2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

For some reason Woof refuses to launch with the new rerelease version of nerve.wad, it launches just fine on DSDA.

The Woof autobuild should run that version of nerve.wad, I had the same issue with it and masterlevels.wad last night. 

Posted (edited)

In general, the autoload system is facing a potential problem: There are now two different versions of nerve.wad and masterlevels.wad. The older versions require additional files, the new ones don't. However, the autoload system works by file name and cannot make that distinction.

The only solutions I see are either moving the umapinfo lumps to the docs folder and make them optional or just delete them altogether.

Posted (edited)

One might also manually rename the new versions and avoid potential conflicts this way. It might actually be the easiest approach. However, most people would expect not to temper with files at all.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NightFright said:

In general, the autoload system is facing a potential problem: There are now two different versions of nerve.wad and masterlevels.wad. The older versions require additional files, the new ones don't. However, the autoload system works by file name and cannot make that distinction.

I looked at the new nerve.wad and masterlevel.wad, and they seem to work fine. Their internal UMAPINFO lumps overwrite the Woof lumps, and everything works as it should. I tested the development version with the resources in the woof.pk3 file.

Just now, rfomin said:

I looked at the new nerve.wad and masterlevel.wad, and they seem to work fine. Their internal UMAPINFO lumps overwrite the Woof lumps, and everything works as it should. I tested the development version with the resources in the woof.pk3 file.

That's good to know, I assume you want to keep the autoload folders for the old versions for compatibilities sake, right?

2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

That's good to know, I assume you want to keep the autoload folders for the old versions for compatibilities sake, right?

The autoloader folder will work as before. We just moved all internal Woof resources to woof.pk3.

Posted (edited)

It's still possible to override the internal autoload entries by creating an external autoload dir. That's how my override for the masterlevels.wad skies works. Already tested.

Hi, it’s me again. :)

Is it safe to assume that ID24 will be implemented to this port some time later in the future?  

A feature request has already been made on Github. The new addon already works quite well without any adjustments, though. It's more about missing details like intermission screens.

Hi, it's me: The weird edge case you never thought you'd encounter in your life.

Woof! doesn't seem to support 5:4 aspect ratios. (screenshot taken at 1280x1024)

image.png.4161132795f6660a49376bc338841e96.png

This really bugs me because I want to use Woof, it has features I like (sound resampling is a godsend), but these bars bug me to no end.

When we introduced support for high resolutions, we didn't realize that there were new monitors with a 5:4 aspect ratio. A simple solution would be to just stretch the image, but that's not satisfactory.
We will look into this issue, but I can't promise a quick fix.

Are people seriously buying new monitors that are 5:4 1280x1024? I'm amazed they would still be manufactured.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mikeday said:

Are people seriously buying new monitors that are 5:4 1280x1024? I'm amazed they would still be manufactured.

lol, no. I just bought a 5:4 monitor because I needed a monitor on short notice (I sold my old one out of desperation) and it was the cheapest one that was at a second hand shop. I eventually grew to like it so I ended up keeping it. It's stockholm syndrome, I guess.

It's a HP L1750, which I can't find a release date for, but I'm going to assume some time in the 00s. I plan on replacing it with a CRT monitor at some point, but none of them can do 1280x1024 (or above) at a refresh rate greater than 60hz. The flicker of a CRT at 60hz is painful as hell.

Anyway, I've been able to cope with it for now. I can completely understand the potential issues. Maybe a temporary fix could be to move the status bar down while shifting the 3D view up? Not sure if that could work, just tossing out ideas :V

Posted (edited)

Clearly the proper solution is to implement generic handling for any arbitrary aspect ratio thinner than 4:3, so that portrait monitors or tiktok videos are possible.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, mikeday said:

I was surprised as early flatscreens were released, that they had this resolution instead of 1280x960, because CRTs before had an aspect ratio of 4:3. Even the later good 3DFX Voodoo cards supported 1280x960.

Posted (edited)

I'm using Nugget Doom for now, thanks to its video stretching stuff working pretty decently w/ minor distortion. It is stretched vertically a little and I feel like I'm going to feel strange when I return to normal Doom :V

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm flip-flopping now... Why is it so hard to choose a source port?!