Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArsonBurger

Custom Map Decorations

Question

I'm trying to create a custom decoration in my wad, similar to the 2d candles and bodies on pikes found in the original Doom games. I would like to make it react to the players proximity, and for its sprite to change to an animation once the player gets close enough to it. How would I do this?

Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by ArsonBurger : solved a problem on my own, rephrased other question

3 answers to this question

Do a search for "How to make sprites" and you get results of varying degree of usefulness, but one or the other may be of use.

1. A graphics app: Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, Paint.net, Paint 3D, Krita, etc., some are even freeware.

2. GZDoom: use a script to check the player's position then change the sprite image, which means that you need more than one image.

Just now, Kappes Buur said:

Do a search for "How to make sprites" and you get results of varying degree of usefulness, but one or the other may be of use.

1. A graphics app: Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, Paint.net, Paint 3D, Krita, etc., some are even freeware.

2. GZDoom: use a script to check the player's position then change the sprite images, which means that you need more than one image.

i just solved the sprite problem, sorry

i do appreciate the advice and ill use it in the future!

ive got a good understanding of scripting in zdoom, but im not entirely sure what im supposed to do. 

I was rethinking point 2, after all there are more ways to do something.

Instead of the complication of having a script check the player's position, simply surround the actor location with linedefs to trigger the script.

Or, you could do the whole thing with DECORATE.

It's an interesting idea, eg changing a decoration into a monster. I cannot remember a map in which this was done, if ever.

Edited by Kappes Buur