Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bokka

Best platform to play doom eternal?

Hello everyone! Do you think to play Doom Eternal, better PS4 PRO / Xbox One X in 4K with 7.1 wireless headphones or the classic keyboard + mouse on a PC? (pc i5 8400 16gb ram fullhd with gtx 1650 4gb)

PC
The best platform to play Doom since the old days

(It's true that nowadays it's kind of difficult to get a PC with good specs, mostly on non first world countries, and so sometimes it's kind of cheaper to get a console to play newer games, but for me, the ability to use it as a tool for everything, both working and gaming, just pays off everything else; also, I was surprised to know that my PC could run 2016's Doom so good, so your PC should be able (I hope) to run Doom Eternal pretty smootly, or at least to me, my aim is not to play with the highest settings like ultra: while it still looks good and smooth, everything's fine)

*hits blunt*

The best platform to play DOOM Eternal is...

the one you can use.

21 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Mac or Switch.

Mac. There's a fanmade compilation of PrBoom+ (or you can compile your own if you want to) for Mac and honestly, it's better than Pr on Windows. It has a nice little user interface so you don't have to fuck around with a command prompt to play WADs or record demos.

Don't mind me, I'm blind.

PC is always going to be best for FPS. However, if you lack a powerful enough PC but have a compatible console you might as well take it however you can get it.

Wait until the game releases and find out how the game runs on a machine with similar specs to yours. If your PC can run it at decent settings, it's almost always going to be the best choice for a first person shooter. But if your PC requires some major sacrifices to run while your console runs it at 4K and a good frame rate, go with the console version.

4 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

*hits blunt*

the one you can use.

This. I ain't going to upgrade my PC again or lower down the settings to compromise on the experience. It looks great on PS4 and I constantly play games on it so I'm gonna have to console it up, come launch and do another playthrough when I can afford better video card & some VRAM to go along with it.

Edited by SamuelMTEvander

3 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

*hits blunt*

the one you can use.

Pretty much this. Nowadays it doesn't really matter what you play Doom on tbh. Back in the 90's, there was no 1:1 Doom port but now that Doom is pretty much the same across the board (besides maxing out graphics that is) it's fine to play it on console as the games are practically the same.

Of course in my personal opinion (this is somewhat contradicting to what i just said) you still do get somewhat better control with a mouse/keyboard but then again i have a friend who really sucks playing games on PC so in the end it really just depends on what your preference is.

I think I heard they're making a mouse + keypad set up for Doom Eternal on console which is typically why PC is a better choice. If that's true then the only true advantages of PC are modability and higher fidelity if it can handle it.

I considered getting it on Xbox, as I am familiar with the gamefeel from 2016, and I would've liked to play Eternal on a big ass TV; get that whole experience y'know? I eventually decided to buy it on steam because playing it on a mouse and keyboard just simply won't compare to anything else, plus I'm confident my laptop can handle it.

3 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I'm confident my laptop can handle it.

Just keep this in mind sir

Screenshot_20200319-142721_Chrome.jpg

But good luck man. I got mine on steam as well and I'm hoping my CPU doesn't bottleneck me too hard

33 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Just keep this in mind sir

Screenshot_20200319-142721_Chrome.jpg

But good luck man. I got mine on steam as well and I'm hoping my CPU doesn't bottleneck me too hard

I'll be playing on a Dell G5 Laptop, I've spent the past few minutes running through my specs and then finally stopping by Can I Run It. After playing the DOOM 16 Demo last night, and with the aforementioned spec investigation, I'm confident that I should be able to run this game at a good quality without any problems whatsoever.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all lol I'm just saying keep that in mind. Also, Doom 16 and Eternal are quite different as far as specs go. Not sure it's a good benchmark for Eternal unfortunately, but hopefully I'm totally wrong because I'm worried about running it on my system tbh

I'd say the desktop PC is the best platform to play Doom on, but as a lifelong PC user I'll declare my own bias on that one.

I've had a PC since 1995 (after my Amiga days and Doom and Commodore's bankruptcy "encouraged" me to upgrade) and whilst the PC is a great gaming platform for FPS, it is expensive and a BITCH to upgrade and replace on a regular basis.

Even now, I can't run Doom Eternal on my 2Gb GTX 960 and Intel Core i3-8100 (the GPU is the problem), so I'll have to postpone playing the game for weeks until I can get a GTX 1650 Super (or whatever replaces it in around six weeks).

EDIT: Even now, I CAN run Doom Eternal because my 960 is actually 4Gb. Why I didn't remember that already is beyond me. The 1650 Super is postponed for now, as I don't think I need it.

Edited by Foebane72

The best way to play FPS is on a PC. But for me, I'll be zigging and zagging on the good old PS4. Same as Doom 2016, I've gotten pretty used to the controls.

I play on ps4, and I would say pc would most likely be best. there's a lot of precise aiming to be done when it comes to disabling a demon's weapons, and the finer control that a mouse and a steady hand offer would benefit you in this regard. 

On 3/19/2020 at 4:09 AM, cambreaKer said:

you will get the best doom eternal experience on the snes

Nah, Tiger electronics provide the best expirience