Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shockwav3

Whatever happened to dwango9.wad

What the map list of the supposed "Real" DWANGO9.WAD is to this day a mystery beyond the two maps found in the DWANGO PWAD compilation with an Exclamation Mark.

2 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

What the map list of the supposed "Real" DWANGO9.WAD is to this day a mystery beyond the two maps found in the DWANGO PWAD compilation with an Exclamation Mark.

I have searched for like almost 3 months.  I have spent  entire  nights looking for it.

I have search through archives, old forums. Searched in different languages.

I made it to shell city, I beat the cyclops and I rode the Hasselhoff. I will not rest until I bring the wad back to the people.

i will find this wad. or help. or not maybe someone else will find it first. all im saying is that i really REALLY want to play dwango 9

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

So, in essence - Dwango10.wad, BLUDBATH.wad* (and maybe DWANGO!.wad) all were planned to be Dwango9 originally

Look's like the real Dwango 9 was here all along.  Kind of sad we didn't get a new set of dm maps, but the mystery is solved at least.

Great to finally know the backstory, after 25 years ... and being a part of resolving it - even tho the bulk credit of course goes to hdrambo, doomkid, Voyager7, dmage and everyone else involved. The "no such wad ever existed" on rarefiles always felt unsatisfying, even back in ~2000 - even when it remains technically/publically correct. This thread finally puts an end to that :)
It's amazing that while there never was an official dwango9 released that the map which lead to the recent discoveries, leading to Doomkids conclusion of "no, but technically yes" which I agree with, managed to have a life of its' own - thanks for sharing beta4ev.wad.

About picking up on the ties, I just checked out the whole .zip linked in the initial post back to front one night, discarding stuff I knew from "back then" (I'm part of the 'rebound' era, starting with csdoom and later moving on to zdaemon/skulltag til 2005 or 2006) or which felt like something else - the dwango9 texture of course helped a ton. Always found 80s/90s data time capsules to be extremely interesting and have a background with reverse engineering (I've made a gadget compatible to the disney sound source a few years back - likely based upon my teen ways of thinking "how is a company like disney involved with such a violent game" when seeing the sound option in wolf3d 25+ years back), so it was a given to not leave things at "oh, a dwango9 texture, cool".
Feels great to know my initial suspicion was "kinda right" :)

Oh crap, I forgot about the article! It definitely needs revision now that we know more of the details. If someone else doesn’t do it within the next week, I’ll be happy to do so.

Oh also @Doomkid, you should update the description of your video about the DWANGO9 mystery, as @Voyager7 had since pointed out recently that the PWAD never technically existed, and to mention that both DWANGO!.WAD, DWANGO10.WAD & BLUDBATH.WAD were all intended to be DWANGO9.WAD at some point.

This information should also be put into the comments of your DWANGO9 mystery video, indicating that the DWANGO9 mystery is technically solved.

Take V7's word over mine.  As I said in my post, my contribution was pretty minor (some ripped graphics, and one map).  V7 was one of the ones doing all the real leg work.  So my impressions that it was "a fan DWANGO wad" may have been erroneous, a product of misremembering or misunderstanding.  But I'm glad V7 managed to set the record straight - straighter at least.

2 hours ago, dmage said:

So my impressions that it was "a fan DWANGO wad" may have been erroneous, a product of misremembering or misunderstanding.

No worries at all, dmage - just having some Dwango alums stop by and weigh in on this at all was an extremely nice surprise.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

No worries at all, dmage - just having some Dwango alums stop by and weigh in on this at all was an extremely nice surprise.

you must be kinda starstruck from this :p