Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

[Release] Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction!

16 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm finally playing this. For now it surprised me because well, it's the opposite of Los Civilization 1! That megawad levels were mostly open and nonlinear solid Doom, with a well adjusted difficulty that never went to high, while this is super linear, tight and scripted, more reminiscent of Half Life 1, including small puzzles, with some enemies encounters designed as set pieces too, and the difficulty is a bit too high in the intro, where you  have barely ammo, health or armor.

edit: hell, the style of weapons also reminded me of more 'realistic' FPS, with things like the sniper bolt rifle. It's almost bizarre the weapon don't need to reload, as the entire wad feels like that type of game.

I did some balancing on v0.3 so there should be more ammo and I also changed some monsters. I had to do most of it nonlinear as I introduced new mechanics. And I didn't want people to get lost in the beginning.

3 hours ago, Kachakeño said:

I've tested on LZDoom 3.87a. It's runs with very bad fps drops making it completely unplayable. I understand that's because of those details you added, but... Good grief! It really needs to improve map's optimization. 

Good ideas how to improve performance are welcome! Removing some grass didn't affect it for me at all. I'll try something...

On 11/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, Chopkinsca said:

That looks amazing. My poor laptop would probably overheat trying to run it.

1) Open GZdoom

2) Press ` (above the tab key) to bring down the console.

3) Type

vid_maxfps 60

and press enter.

In GZdoom, this limits the frames per second to 60 FPS.  That should help you run it without overheating your system.

vid_maxfps limits the frame rate to some arbitrary rate between 35 and 1000 FPS. Note that vid_maxfps 35 is not the same as cl_capfps 1: cl_capfps caps the frame rate by tying the video update directly to the game timer. With vid_maxfps 35, the video update and game timer are running on separate timers, and results will not be as good as with cl_capfps 1, which uses only one timer. You can use this in conjunction with vid_vsync to control whether or not the maximum frame rate is restricted to your monitor's refresh rate.

Holy shit, Lost Civilization 1 was already awesome, but you've outdone yourself again! Thanks for implementing the no custom monsters/weapons option, it made the mod much more enjoyable for me. I used the latest GZdoom, but version 0.4 still throws some script errors you don't mention in known bugs. This appears at startup:

R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump ROCKHJ

And this when MAP01 starts and when you pick up the PDA:

MAP01 - The town

Bad hex number: "y

-----------

New PDA Entry: Welcome!
Attempting to open menu of unknown type 'PDAReaderTutorialMenu'

Also, I got stuck in the machine shop, after I jumped into one corner and broke a box there (it gave me rockets):

Screenshot_Doom_20201122_141450.png

5 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Holy shit, Lost Civilization 1 was already awesome, but you've outdone yourself again! Thanks for implementing the no custom monsters/weapons option, it made the mod much more enjoyable for me. I used the latest GZdoom, but version 0.4 still throws some script errors you don't mention in known bugs. This appears at startup:

---clip---

Thanks!

Coulnd't find that ROCKHJ lump anywhere. Bad hex is on one of the spotlights.. Shouldn't affect more than the light color of one of the spotlights.

You could have broken that blocking crate. Should somehow tell the player which crates are destroyable.

The ROCKHJ is in \sprites\hexen\rocks\

It has different creation date than all other files in that directory, so you probably edited it somehow and/or it has incorrect format.

Speaking of destroyable crates, I don't think any of the hints mention the small green-grey supply crates that give you ammo, health etc. Or at least I didn't find that hint.

Edited by Caleb13

46 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

The ROCKHJ is in \sprites\hexen\rocks\

It has different creation date than all other files in that directory, so you probably edited it somehow and/or it has incorrect format.

Speaking of destroyable crates, I don't think any of the hints mention the small green-grey supply crates that give you ammo, health etc. Or at least I didn't find that hint.

Only one type gives ammo/health. The hint for breaking them is as they block one doorway. Well, you can jump past them too. So it's not too obvious. Changing that a bit. Also there is a bit inconsistency which ones break. Almost all crates break - except cardboard and OTEX- metal.

https://youtu.be/4JdAEKOtGlE

A long-time bump to be sure, but this playthrough was long requested by the wad author.

While this demo didn't blow me away like Lost Civ 1 did, I hope that Jaska either finishes this project or continues to make good Doom maps, as from the Lost Civilization double-header I have recently embarked upon, he is quite the talented mapper.

Great continuation of the best doom wad Lost Civ 1. So many great memories playing this wad.  Unfortunately no updates or news for a long time.:(

3 hours ago, MarcinC said:

Great continuation of the best doom wad Lost Civ 1. So many great memories playing this wad.  Unfortunately no updates or news for a long time.:(

Thanks for the kind words :-) 

Actually I did continue the series:

It's a bit different experience as I went experimenting even more.

And I'm back to building something even more!

Office:
wY34AOn.png

Watts this
xggV9kY.png

Back to forest?
p2IBlby.png

ow3b8oV.png

Thanks, I tried desolation and it actually took a slightly different direction from the previous ones Lost civilizations. Completed fully drawn in.  As always level design was astonishing for me. This big open spaced levels and details. So great...

But for me Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction is peak.In every aspect.  It's a bit strange that you didn't continue in this great direction. Good balance between fight and adventure with puzzles.Unfinished levels in introduction available via code promised a great sequel. I like coming back to them to play.:) 

So happy that You still create. :) Screenshots looks beautiful. I wish You good luck and joy in creating Your new lost civilization. Really can't wait.:)

10 hours ago, MarcinC said:

Thanks, I tried desolation and it actually took a slightly different direction from the previous ones Lost civilizations. Completed fully drawn in.  As always level design was astonishing for me. This big open spaced levels and details. So great...

But for me Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction is peak.In every aspect.  It's a bit strange that you didn't continue in this great direction. Good balance between fight and adventure with puzzles.Unfinished levels in introduction available via code promised a great sequel. I like coming back to them to play.:) 

So happy that You still create. :) Screenshots looks beautiful. I wish You good luck and joy in creating Your new lost civilization. Really can't wait.:)

I'm glad to hear :) 

Why I didn't continue it? Well I was kind a stuck with the overall vision and then got some mixed / even negative feedback and just went with something completely different. And some themes /ideas just need very different approach. "Had to get them out"

For the new one, whatever it will be... I have so many elements on the table so there is a little struggle again how to put everything together. It would be kind a easy way to cut everything down what contradicts to the whole. But do I care if it is cohesive and fully polished, propably not.

For me, it was a plus that the Introduction contained so many ideas, elements and expanded in full accordance with the style, mood of the first Lost Civilization.

Is Your new project will have something from Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction?

2 hours ago, MarcinC said:

Is Your new project will have something from Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction?

At the moment no, but have to check out if there was some scenes which could be used.

Thanks:) what I also really liked about Lost Civ are the huge spaces in the levels and many enemies appearing in such a larger area. it was in my favorite mountain village level in the first lost civ.