Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pezl

What is your favorite monster & gun?

On 12/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, STILES said:

Weapon: Plasma Rifle, strangely enough I don't use it much though.  It's always felt like a very situational weapon to me, best used when getting swarmed or cornered by mid/heavy tier enemies where I need a heavy fire rate to survive due to the lack of space where I'd normally use the BFG/Rocket Launcher/SSG.  Because of this, I associate the Plasma Rifle with very tense moments where I'm shocked I made it through in one piece.

I feel like that's how most people utilize the plasma rifle. There's kind of a newbie impulse to treat the BFG as your "panic button" weapon, but experience shows that it's really best utilized strategically as a room-clearer and against enemies you MUST kill immediately like the Arch-Vile. The plasma rifle is more of a "oh crap, I forgot about this ambush" kind of gun.

The problem is that the DOS version of the game has slow weapon switching. So if you get ambushed ... keep blasting with the SSG or the Chaingun.

Anyway, the BFg should have its own ammo (like ... maybe you get 5 ammo each time you find the weapon)

50 minutes ago, The_Hyphenator said:

I feel like that's how most people utilize the plasma rifle. There's kind of a newbie impulse to treat the BFG as your "panic button" weapon, but experience shows that it's really best utilized strategically as a room-clearer and against enemies you MUST kill immediately like the Arch-Vile. The plasma rifle is more of a "oh crap, I forgot about this ambush" kind of gun.

Yes exactly, you worded that a bit better than I did.  BFG is great but there's definitely a *strategy* (key word) to using it with the cone of damage, which newbies almost never get right and they're better off with the Plasma Rifle. 

BFG = You thought ahead what to do before an ambush so you can use the BFG effectively.

Plasma Rifle = You forgot the ambush and need to think on the fly.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:17 AM, STILES said:

Plasma Rifle [...] I don't use it much though.  It's always felt like a very situational weapon to me, best used when getting swarmed or cornered by mid/heavy tier enemies where I need a heavy fire rate to survive due to the lack of space where I'd normally use the BFG/Rocket Launcher/SSG.  Because of this, I associate the Plasma Rifle with very tense moments where I'm shocked I made it through in one piece.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:04 PM, The_Hyphenator said:

Totally agree. Plasma is really nice, but I tend to conserve ammo for the big league, even if I have hundreds; maybe just a bad habit and I should be more generous with my resources. : /

Weapon: BFG, but SSG is closely behind.

Monster: Cacodemon. Gotta love their globule sprites. : > Possibly the first thing that comes to my mind, when somebody says "Doom".

SSG is old faithful, my default weapon — and it’s so satisfying to slam those two cartridges into it after taking down the last monster in a crowd. Would love a mod where you could blow smoke off the barrel.

As for monsters, I’m not sure it’s my “favorite” per se, but I do have a soft spot for the Spider Mastermind. Yes, it’s far too clunky and large for its own good. But damn if it isn’t fun to start all kinds of in-fights with that gigantic bullet sponge. Also it’s fairly rare to come across one, so it still retains a novelty factor that (say) the Cyberdemon lost a long time ago.

13 minutes ago, Sigh Man Vanz said:

SSG is old faithful, my default weapon — and it’s so satisfying to slam those two cartridges into it after taking down the last monster in a crowd. Would love a mod where you could blow smoke off the barrel.

As for monsters, I’m not sure it’s my “favorite” per se, but I do have a soft spot for the Spider Mastermind. Yes, it’s far too clunky and large for its own good. But damn if it isn’t fun to start all kinds of in-fights with that gigantic bullet sponge. Also it’s fairly rare to come across one, so it still retains a novelty factor that (say) the Cyberdemon lost a long time ago.

+1

For shotgun:

55943bedeab8ea1530d8d3d4

>: D

I have to mention that you just added a strange, deep mystique to the Spider Mastermind. It felt like David Attenborough on the warpath is revealing an ancient beast for a first time viewer. : D

But you cannot deny the thiccness of the daemon.

My actual serious answer for my favorite monster is the Fiend from Quake. My favorite gun is the Mossberg 590 Cruiser from Soldier of Fortune 2.

Both of them are so violent and visceral in the roles that they fill in their respective games, that I can't think of any enemy or weapon that truly displays brute force more than either of them.

I would much rather fight a Shambler in Quake than a fiend. Shamblers will close distance, but they prefer to use lightning bolts, so like the Baron or Revenant in Doom, you just have to trigger their melee attack, hit them with the double barrel as you run backwards, rinse and repeat. The Fiend loves closing the distance and eviscerating you, and if you step back, it'll just pounce at you.

And then SOF2's Mossberg, well it's pretty much the perfect pump action shotgun. The spread is right at close range it creates a perfect cylindrical wound, at range it causes multiple wounds buckshot impacts. And when you blow someone's intestines out with it, you know you have a powerful weapon. It also sounds perfect, both the discharge, the cycling of the slide, and the loading of the shells. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I own a Mossberg 500 and a Mossberg 590. Raven really hit the nail on the head when they did the 590.

So yeah, I love Doom, the enemies, and the weapons. But the Fiend and the Mossberg stand out in my mind 

Plasma Rifle because it reminds me of using the Shock Rifle in Unreal Tournament which I became pretty efficient at. But I also use the SSG like it's no tomorrow, so there's that.

Favorite monster is Baron of Hell, because I just think they look bad ass!

My favourite monster is Spider Mastermind. Because funnily enough, it often more helps you than hurts you. It's very clumsy and extremely likely to infight, and often, especially in big places with lot of monsters around, it infights and hurts or kills many monsters, and eventually gets killed, so it does not make any damage to you but helps get rid of some other baddies (including Cyberdemon). If I'm equipped with BFG9000, it can be killed with a single shot which is satisfying, otherwise it can be quite safely killed with more blasts from SSG. Too bad it's used so few in maps (it's the least frequently used monster in Doom maps, except nazis).

About weapon, I don't know, hard to say, all weapons (except pistol and unberserked fist) have their good place. Maybe Rocket Launcher.

OG Shotgun... way better feel and pucnh than the ssg...

I like the mancubus because of the death animation and the sound.
I like cacos for the look...

I'll say the caco, because he is very emblematic of doom... and I like blue hell.

Cacos are really cute, so much that I almost feel bad when I turn them into tomato paste

As for weapons, super shotgun all the way. It just feels good to use, and fills an important niche to justify adding tons more mid tier demons

Favourite Gun:  Super Shotgun

It's like the Shotgun, but more powerful, and it has a satisfying reload.

Favourite Monster: Revenant

The Revenant is a cool enemy. It's attacks are fun to dodge. (Unless there are like, 5 homing ones after you) And it has the best meme in DOOM. Doot.

Not many have said the Chaingun, but you really learn to appreciate it when playing older mapsets that tend to throw clusters of low-level enemies at you. I feel it always got a bad rap because it feels a bit weedy compared to Wolfenstein 3D's Chaingun, but it's an underrated part of the Doom arsenal and I appreciate any mapset that encourages its use. But of course, Valiant's Chaingun is on a whole new level of amazement, and the Doom 64 Chaingun is great as well.  My runner-up fave would probably be the Super Shotgun for its Swiss Army Knife-esque feeling of being applicable to almost every monster threat.

My favorite monster is probably the Mancubus since they always feel challenging but not bullshit to deal with. I still get roasted by their off-center fireballs, but it feels more like my fault than anything when I get dinged by them. Their sounds amuse me and I've always liked their odd design, and their appearance is one of the most evolved throughout the later Doom games as well. I'm saying the Cacodemon as a runner-up due to their iconic appearance and their unique position as one of the few flying units in the game.

They're not my favorite monster but I just wanted to register my appreciation for one of the most overlooked monsters, the zombieman...I had rarely put them in my maps because they just seemed so useless that I couldn't come up with many scenarios where they made sense, and their tendency to start infighting with each other made them useless even in hordes.  But that's when I realized it: this little bastard, that can be instakilled by basically everything and can't even mob you properly, armed only with the wimpiest of pea shooters, is so pathetic that he actually comes full circle to being awesome.  No matter what weapon you have you can mow them down by the hundreds.  There's something so cathartic about just barreling into a horde of them with a chainsaw and cutting the lot of them down so fast that you barely lose a beat, or turning entire armies of them into mush with just a couple rockets, or cutting through a wall of them with the SSG like a block of cheese.  The BFG seems wasted on them but then again god damn is it fun to watch right?  And catharsis aside, the more I play around with them the more I find the uselessness is a bit overstated: they can still achieve the role of being a goddamn nuisance if there's a bunch of them around you, slowly but surely whittling your health away with their pop guns while you contend with more threatening enemies and forcing you to divert your attention to getting them out of your way.  So in that way they do have a strategic value as an enemy...but I think it's the pure "fun" factor of them that feels more revelatory to me right now.

Plus that green hair is fucking hilarious