Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPLJigsoreQuandary

Doom color palettes

I changed every color in the PLAYPAL lump to match the Marathon 2 color palette thinking it would of course make my textures the right colors, but instead it looks like this. Halp.

yudodis.png

Edited by CPLJigsoreQuandary

On the plus side, if someone asks what it feels like to play DooM stoned, you can point to this picture. [:wink:]

Out of curiosity, what does the screenshot look like without the PLAYPAL replacement?

My first question would be: did you also replace the COLORMAP? You can basically just copy it over, it defines the fades for the colors and if it's not changed it can cause that sort of look. Though I'm guessing there might be other issues, so here's a more comprehensive suggestion:

If you're trying to map with the resource, copy the assets as they are from the resource, and the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps with them. Next, if you want other Doom assets to be included, you need to first convert them into PNGs, copy them over, then convert them into Doom format in the same wad where you have the new palette so that they are forced into that palette. Remember, if the palette is very different from the original Doom palette, things might not convert very well.

The reason is that if you change the palette (and colormap) only, the images that are in Doom format and use the regular Doom palette will still look for their colors from the same slots as they did before you changed the PLAYPAL (and use whatever color happens to be in the new slot), and if colors are switched around a lot then there's bound to be funky looking stuff like that.

11 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

My first question would be: did you also replace the COLORMAP? You can basically just copy it over, it defines the fades for the colors and if it's not changed it can cause that sort of look. Though I'm guessing there might be other issues, so here's a more comprehensive suggestion:

The reason is that if you change the palette (and colormap) only, the images that are in Doom format and use the regular Doom palette will still look for their colors from the same slots as they did before you changed the PLAYPAL (and use whatever color happens to be in the new slot), and if colors are switched around a lot then there's bound to be funky looking stuff like that.

Forgive me, I'm a little slow so if I misunderstood you I'm sorry:

I did not know about the color map, how do I replace it?

If you're trying to map with the resource, copy the assets as they are from the resource, and the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps with them. Next, if you want other Doom assets to be included, you need to first convert them into PNGs, copy them over, then convert them into Doom format in the same wad where you have the new palette so that they are forced into that palette. Remember, if the palette is very different from the original Doom palette, things might not convert very well.

I think I understand what you mean. The textures I'm using are from someone on the zdoom forums, I don't remember who right now. They did not include any lumps though, only the textures. I use Shape Fusion to extract the Marathon 2 resources from the game and there is no color palette for the entire game, only palettes for specific parts like the interface, individual walls and swotches and so on. I was told the interface color table would work best so i copied all the colors from that palette over to my PLAYPAL lump and got the picture you see in my first post. Now that you mentioned the color map I'm curious if that might be what I need to make it work, so I'll try that tonight.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I was just about to say, as @Aurelius mentioned, why not just use .png image format? https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES

Then everything would be true color and not much worry about a Doom color pallet from that point. ;)

Unless you plan to make the mod vanilla compatible then I totally understand.

True-color PNGs will not work on software renderer. To apply custom palettes\colormap, you need to convert the file to the Doom format.

If this is indeed a G/ZDoom mod, you don't need to use a PLAYPAL or COLORMAP lumps (and if you're playing in hardware rendering, you wouldn't even see the effect they create). That's why it would make sense you used the PNG format, and never convert the images into Doom format in the first place.

If you do use software rendering (which it looks like you are judging by the first picture), you will need the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps. You can use the PLAYPAL you created and generate a COLORMAP lump using Slade. Click on your PLAYPAL lump, go to the Palette options menu at the top of the window, then scroll down to "Generate colormaps". The COLORMAP lump is generated at the end of the file, so if you want to find it you need to scroll down a bit. To make sure your assets are converted to your new palette properly, use the method I outlined in my previous post.

9 minutes ago, Noiser said:

True-color PNGs will not work on software renderer. To apply custom palettes\colormap, you need to convert the file to the Doom format.

Ah yes, if it's to be in software render then no, you'll have to take the old school approach.^ 

Note that if you decide to use hardware renderer instead, you'll also be able to use brightmaps, dynamic lights, etc, among other things.

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

If this is indeed a G/ZDoom mod, you don't need to use a PLAYPAL or COLORMAP lumps (and if you're playing in hardware rendering, you wouldn't even see the effect they create). That's why it would make sense you used the PNG format, and never convert the images into Doom format in the first place.

If you do use software rendering (which it looks like you are judging by the first picture), you will need the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps. You can use the PLAYPAL you created and generate a COLORMAP lump using Slade. Click on your PLAYPAL lump, go to the Palette options menu at the top of the window, then scroll down to "Generate colormaps". The COLORMAP lump is generated at the end of the file, so if you want to find it you need to scroll down a bit. To make sure your assets are converted to your new palette properly, use the method I outlined in my previous post.

Thank you, that fixed it.

43 minutes ago, CPLJigsoreQuandary said:

Thank you, that fixed it.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the newly-fixed map?

The colors have definitely been properly repalletized. The image resolution was quite low, however.