Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Keen

What do you want id to do next after Eternal?

I think it's D64 that a third Slayer game would parallel.

If the Mother Demon returns, i hope she gets new attacks to expand her moveset like it happened to the other classic Doom bosses.

Maybe even give her 2 versions of the floor fire attack: 3 to the front and 4 multidirectional one, so both the real and misremembered version are canon.

But her design is underrated, so i wonder about a model faithfull enough to preserve even her weird back/spine.

Some people except horror, even if just because of how some people felt about Eternal's tone and style.

To me, horror in Doom relates to the creativity and surrealism of Hell's designs and environments.

Like cherrypicking specific assets, how they're used/can be done and specific details of some demon designs.

The kind of stuff that can justify horror in Doom, even make it complement the power fantasy appeal set by the new games and also question certain parts about lore or art direction.

But in general: Consider the scale set by Eternal compared to D2016: All those new designs, gameplay mechanics, systems etc then the stuff that is carried over from 2016 and how it changed.

A Doom 6 should be like that.

Basically, "more new stuff", in a series that is always fun to add new stuff for.

Even if they just look up some unused concepts or designs, because there's always stuff i thought could be added even if it depends on the context and execution.

(plus, i wrote lots of ideas on my blog, so id Software feel free to check that out because i even wrote how i came up with some of them and why i think they're cool... just saying)

Speaking of new ideas:

Classic Doomguy (Adrian/sprites) had brass knuckles in his left hand while Eternal praetor suit has the Doomblade on the left arm.

Imagine a combo of the 2 where the left hand has extendable blades on his left knuckle.

Yeah i know, "you're turning Doomguy into Wolverine and extending the comic book influence".

But it'd be a neat fusion of 2 things and i like to think it could be used in that one Praetor suit design they original had for Eternal: Where his helmet was gray and even close to the Adrian Doomguy design.

That unused Praetor in general was cool and besides the Doomblades idea, also make the equip launcher like the concept art where different items give it different forms.

Posted (edited)

Interesting.

Honestly, my best guess would either be:

-something related to this upcoming Doom game

-something related to the fabled modding tools for Doom Eternal which have supposedly been in the pipeline 

(also I should state right now that I understand that corporate chicanery has been very much a thing as we saw last week, but I don’t think they’re trying to trademark a cheat code or start charging money for the Doom engine; let’s just wait and see before jumping to the worst-case scenario)

I almost forgot but the Pinky and Lost Soul were like the 2 demons that barely had a new model in Eternal.

Maybe this next Doom could give them new designs like one of those cyber/tech LS's from the concept art.

And maybe this time, the Spectre could be more different from the Pinky like the HK and Baron.

Like in general, they could always look up cut content and concept art.

Like a Cacodemon that's purple-ish, has an eye below the mouth and uses the cut attack of them "pulling" the player. (said attack, i wonder if it inspired the Caco's tongue attack in 2016 MP)

On 5/13/2024 at 5:30 PM, Man of Doom said:

Interesting.

Honestly, my best guess would either be:

-something related to this upcoming Doom game

-something related to the fabled modding tools for Doom Eternal which have supposedly been in the pipeline 

(also I should state right now that I understand that corporate chicanery has been very much a thing as we saw last week, but I don’t think they’re trying to trademark a cheat code or start charging money for the Doom engine; let’s just wait and see before jumping to the worst-case scenario)

Knowing current gaming industry and that bethesda owns Doom I'd be praying they won't make another mobile game. Also I'm wondering about engine if they'll make an actual Doom game, what engine will it be? New ID Tech or something else? Everyone seems to abandon their game engines in favour of something popular like UE4/5 or unity

I think i heard stuff about an id tech 8, since id has their own stuff.

I also once said a new Doom could try a cel-shaded art style for various reasons:

• Doom Eternal aimed to “feel like a violent cartoon/comic book”.
  • (Also, an homage to the Doom comic)
  • Could be a good way to “remaster” classic Doom designs.
  • Items and objects can stand out in environments while still being “fitting” (Basically, almost a mix of D2016 and Eternal’s pickup visual languages and the best of both worlds).
  • Maybe some tech/performance related stuff if there’s like less polygons (Not sure about things like enemy count or some crazy feature like Prey 06 style “portals” in a level).
  • Could still be a good way to balance the goofyness and grittyness of Doom, with the right colors and designs.

But i guess another reason could be if it's a bit less expensive, as long as they have skillful artists and model makers.

Hi-Fi Rush still got the sack with the latest events but i assume a cel-shaded Doom could survive even if just for the brand name alone.

All id's gotta do is look up cool artists like Simon Bisley and wear those influences harder.

On 5/17/2024 at 6:39 AM, Async Unicorn said:

Reboot of "Catacomb" games

I think that would be very popular for some reason...
42b4c12880cc6fe7b0e8ee03004fb24017774c80d2a42af1411d748672059e98_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg.e25235a6ee2f24e09af5d073c33ce8ab.jpg

3 hours ago, Milkeno said:

42b4c12880cc6fe7b0e8ee03004fb24017774c80d2a42af1411d748672059e98_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg.e25235a6ee2f24e09af5d073c33ce8ab.jpg

The Chaste Succubus? Hahahaha gold.

14 hours ago, Milkeno said:

[Sussubus]

Would defo slay her with my magic missile.

Mixed feelings on another Doom (was really hoping for a new IP or Quake 1) but looking forward to the reveal! Hopefully it finds a nice balance between 2016 and Eternal. Or is something we haven’t seen before.

On 5/21/2024 at 7:04 AM, Milkeno said:

Looks very interesting, I'm now interested in this game

Don't get too excited - at most you'll get a logo and a "see it at Quakecon" caption like always.

I've seen a rumor about it being a medieval themed. If it is true then high chance of it being Quake 1 related

I expect the game to be Sentinel related (prequel to how the Slayer came to be) and "medieval europe" in a leaker comment might be confusion.

But i'm also wondering if more Quake elements or even those of Heretic could be taken.

(i also once said  the Sentinel would make more sense for Quake but that's me)

One thing is whether or not we'd get low/barely tech weapons or Sentinel stuff, another is the demons.

Will some look closer to medieval portrayals and even weird Bosch paintings?

What about cybernetic demons? Will we see Mancubi with their regular hands?

Or "cyber" demons with different tech like wood cannons and Da Vinci style machinery.

Doom Hunter/Sabaoth but he has like a Fred Flintstone rock thing that uses both wheels and his legs to move.

If they're gonna absorb Quake and Heretic/Hexen, at least also get the stuff like the Iron Lich's tornado attack and a bunch of other mechanics and gameplay ideas.

Even level design like Hexen.

I wonder if there'd be something like the Fortress of Doom but with more ported stuff like Heretic, Quake, their expansions, the RPG id titles and even Sigil lol.

All of them in a computer Doomguy can access in the HUB of a new mainline game.

I also think there could be an opportunity for melee to be expanded.

Speaking of expanding Sentinel, we could reach a point where it's also in terms of themes like pickups themed after Sentinel.

Like if they had their version of health medikits or something.

It's neat when items and objects from the world have those themes because it feels like "world building" in a way.

That's probably why some weren't that much into Eternal's "video game arcade" style of pickups because in a way, a simple object you pick up can reflect the world it's from.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Artyoman said:

I've seen a rumor about it being a medieval themed. If it is true then high chance of it being Quake 1 related

TBH I wouldn't mind if they're going to be directly lifting more things from Quake such as some of the enemies. I don't think that these two series are nearly as distinct from each other as people claim them to be, even before DOOM 2016 introduced stuff like the quad damage and Night Sentinel lore.

10 hours ago, Artyoman said:

I've seen a rumour about it being a medieval themed. If it is true then high chance of it being Quake 1 related

Is it Hexen 3?

I'd want Sonic Mania, but for Doom, where it's a brand new official classic Doom game with new levels and enemies and the like.

1 hour ago, octosquidfunni said:

I'd want Sonic Mania, but for Doom, where it's a brand new official classic Doom game with new levels and enemies and the like.

Well that's just Sigil except not published "officially"

12 minutes ago, Artyoman said:

Well that's just Sigil except not published "officially"

Not really, Sigil doesn't add any new enemies or weapons like say, Doom 2 did.

I mean, there's always the obivous notion of "old Doom still getting modded and lots of mods are already so cool".

I think for now it's best to see id get innovative with the series and do new things and maybe leave the "retro throwback" fanservice for a better time. (which would also require collab with fans and if we're gonna "canonize fanfiction", might as well see how much deserves to be so)

Meanwhile, Sigil should technically be canon but that depends if id ever buys it. (at the very least, let Romero share what other Doom assets he has left)

It's also clear Doom has a much stronger brand power than its relatives like Quake and Heretic.

Most of these classic FPS franchises existed for gameplay/tech innovation reasons, so one title would always be described as "it's like X but with Y and also Z".

So again, if a new Quake were to be made, you'd have to think of how Doom already took from Quake and therefore make Quake take from Hexen, so now it's Hexen that has a smaller chance of return etc.

Maybe to id, making Doom act as a "tribute" to its siblings and cousins that is otherwise technically cannibalizing, is seen as a safer route.

And like i said: Might as well port those classics in Doom and copy even specific things like the Iron Lich tornado attack.

A fun way to look at this is even considering how 2016 multiplayer had a 2 weapon limit and D3 RoE had a weapon blatantly like HL2's Gravity Gun.

3 hours ago, octosquidfunni said:

We literally have the Sonic Mania equivalent for Doom, it's called Eviternity II and it's free.

6 hours ago, JackDBS said:

Who needs new Doom games when we have Sunlust?

People

On 5/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, JackDBS said:

Who needs new Doom games when we have Sunlust?

People who suck at slaughter maps

11 hours ago, ALilGrayBoi said:

People who suck at slaughter maps

Simply lacking in skill