Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cammy

Realm of Chaos: 25th Anniv. Edition - NOW ON IDGAMES!

Hopefully, Cammy hasn't stopped working on this in favour of JJ, because I'd love to play the fully fixed version sooner than later!

Posted (edited)
On 1/25/2024 at 11:25 AM, Firedust said:

Hopefully, Cammy hasn't stopped working on this in favour of JJ, because I'd love to play the fully fixed version sooner than later!

Work is carrying on! Just have a lot on my plate that needs clearing out, as well as a malignant case of "get tired of the project at the finish line and compulsively start something new" syndrome. It's a vicious cycle. Next time I post in this thread, it'll have RC2 in it, and if nothing gets found in RC2, it'll go to idgames within a couple weeks. Sorry for the slow reply, these messages both got lost in my notifications somehow.

On 1/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, Salt-Man Z said:

Out of curiosity, are there titles for the new music tracks?

There are!

Spoiler

Title - Malinvitation

Inter - Jumped Crevice

Text - Fate's Footsteps

01 - Dawnriot

02 - Old Options

03 - Command No Control

04 - This is Your Brain on Sugar Deprivation

05 - Dust of the Sanctioned Wires

(beta 06 - Smoke Signals for the Pointillists)

06 - Mechamerayap

07 - We Tantalize

08 - Deep Alone

09 - Try to Drink That

10 - Off White Shoulder

11 - Sharks Are Different

12 - Hush

13 - Remember I'll be Dead by December

14 - Blue Hours

15 - Machine Of My Memories

31 - Last Snow

32 - Justice for the Planets of Eons Past

16 - Scoliosism (and Other Twisted Beliefs)

17 - Chess With the Sun...

18 - ...Dinner With the Moon

19 - Crows Sipping Red Rum

20 - What Do We Do with the Moonshine Man?

21 - Welcome to Kamacite Camp

22 - Dead Prominence

23 - The Dragon's Stigmata

24 - Soon the Magma Cocktail Will be Yours

25 - Your Little Surgical Earth

26 - Outback Splinter River

27 - Spiraltongue

28 - Molotossa

29 - Burn One Day

30 - Iconoclastic Flow

Edited by Cammy

Because I am Evil Incarnate(.mid), im gonna post now that Cammy cannot reply till RC2 is done :D

I finished the original RoC today, and I gotta say, pairing the new soundtrack with the original was a perfect move. Unlike most midipacks where theres always a couple not to my tastes due to the large variety of composers, I loved *every single level theme*, the only theme that I was meh on was the title screen, and largely because I had to quit and reboot the wad so often to get Doom Launcher to record my stats properly (Thus I heard those opening notes a LOT). I played with the arachno soundfont, so they all had even more oomph, and only the Map 21 track didn't play well with it; that's the result of being crafty and using telephone sounds in a soundfont where it doesn't sound like a phone :p (My sound setup is really beefy, so even default sound sounds great, so I DID play 21 with the proper sound later that day). I cant possibly name a favourite, as I was humming away to most of the non-dark spooky ones, especially in the longer maps (aka Steves most of the time). I definitely appreciated the fitting port/pirate/sailing type of theme for Map 19 though.

@Steve D's maps were always the highlight, and im looking forward to Realm of Intensified Chaos, if thats still ongoing, and will happily retackle the 25th Anniversary versions. I even liked the incredibly divisive Above and Below. I found a bug in the original Map 21 that made 100% items impossible, the central cage near the start has a baron, imp and computer map sink into the floor, and it happened across multiple ports, so I fixed it in my original RoC patch (Heres the new version with fixed Map 21). I'll leave it up to you guys to determine whether that fixed computer map should actually stay or not; there's another one elsewhere on the map, and in some ports, ie vanilla, you can only pick up one.

The only three maps to really frustrate me was the obvious Sewers for obvious reasons, Die Hard for the near impossibility of killing those mancubi in the toxic deathpit, and The Fountain for the over the top cyberdemon trolling. Fountain was *amazing* with Cammy's dark moody midi, the brightmaps of GZDoom worked so well with the music and the emptyish sparse caverns, with the yellow cracks and the fireblu litup faintly in the darkness, I had this great sense of dread, that I should *not* be there. The 'LOLOLOL HERES 10+ SURPRISE CYBS YOU CANT POSSIBLY KILL' soured all of that. Also great job on the IoS being simple and straightforward. I'm hoping this is all improved on in the new wad. Gotta say, I liked the original RoC more than Memento Mori. I don't know if I would have powered though it as fast as I did without the new soundtrack pushing me on though. The right music can energise like nothing else.

Posted (edited)

At long last, Release Candidate 2 is here!! (link updated april 3rd) Download it, play it, and let me know if you encounter any issues. If nothing gets found, I'll submit it to idgames on April 19th.

A changelog is included in the download, or you can read it here if you'd like:

Spoiler

Whole wad / general:
- Updated TITLEPIC, CREDIT, and BOSSBACK graphics, and added a new HELP graphic
- Balanced midi volume levels and made a few small adjustments to some of them
- Added and used a few metal flats from CC4 because the lack of them drove me batty many times while mapping
- Added and used a small number of new or improved textures - mainly modified RAILING from Final Doom and expanded versions of the SKSNAKE textures by ChopBlock223
- Per plums' suggestion, added a COLORMAP lump that makes your invulnerability vision silver and blue. A DECORATE lump was also added for Zandronum users. Also changed the sprite of the invulnerability sphere itself, and the status bar face when it's active, to fit the theme.
- Incorporated NightFright's sprite fixes and centered weapon sprites to match them - thank you! (Didn't opt for the green crosses though, sorry)
- Also included a separate wad with NightFright's widescreen-compatible version of Jaws in Space's status bar

map01 - Dropoff:
- Minor visual adjustments

map02 - Outpost 27:
- No changes

map03 - Mars Base Alpha:
- Marked the Baron crusher as a secret and made it also crush the Chaingunners in the sewer
- Made the stairs leading up into the final fight less steep
- Changed the final fight to be a lot more fun and interesting

map04 - Sewers:

map05 - Mission Control:
- Moved the blue and red key wings to the same elevation to make the map feel less linear
- Moved the door to the yellow key area out of the lift up to the final courtyard
- Replaced the blue key wing of the map with a more flavorful area inspired by the original

map06 - Splatterhouse:
- New MIDI
- Made the secret switch leading to the blue key larger and more obvious
- Made the rocket launcher non-secret, replacing the previous secret rocket launcher with a plasma gun instead
- Scrapped the big outdoor slaughter fight and replaced it with something more difficult and less straining on the sprite limit
- Reworked the layout of the southeastern area - near and past the red/yellow key doors - to tighten the map up
- Removed the filler medikit/soulsphere secret-within-a-secret area; moved the soulsphere into a more substantive secret
- Reworked the final fight to be much larger, deadlier, and more focused
- Added some more health throughout the map

map07: Deathstay:

map08 - Research Lab:
- Added ammo in the slime pit area and the teleport destination that brings you out of it to prevent softlocks
- Also raised the blocking floor in front of the switch that lowers the teleporter in the slime pit, preventing a different softlock
- Made it impossible to skip the yellow key fight

map09 - Machine Gun Etiquette:
- Fixed the teleporter in the southwest slime room
- Stacked some sectors

map10 - Hollow Oblivion:
- Properly marked all linedefs leading to the inaccessible rocks as impassable
- Fixed alignment on the back of the red door
- Changed the function of the small door behind the red door to prevent a softlock
- Changed the Barons into Revenants
- Added a final ambush
- Caved in the northeastern door so you have less places to run and hide to in the final fight

map11 - Mars Starport:

map12 - Home Sweet Home:
- Moved the super shotgun out of its secret and into the watery cave where it can't be missed; the secret now contains a mega armor instead
- Replaced the two skull-poles in the final fight area with different, non-blocking decorations
- Tagged the line behind the pop-up archvile trio as monster-blocking, so they can't neuter the fight by running backwards into the cave; to compensate for the increased difficulty, removed the two forwardmost teleport destinations that the imps/zombies arrive at, reducing the rate at which they clog up the area
- Changed the door/lift thing in the southern area to an actual door so you can't ride up it and see the 3D floors breaking

map13 - Bloodlands:
- Hopefully fixed a chaingunner stuck in the ground on the elevated rocket launcher platform early in the map
- Changed the giant pile of zombiemen in the northern secret area to imps and thinned their numbers a bit to go easier on the vanilla sprite limit

map14 - Die Hard:
- Made the door leading out of the crate area use an actual door texture

map15 - Infestation:
- Fixed a softlock in the east wing room with the caco pit
- Lowered the outer walls in the final area so the monsters on it are easier to hit

map31 - The Mansion:
- Fixed the player being able to jump into the sky in the library

map32 - Nowhere To Hide:
- No changes

map16 - The Wolf's Hour:
- Simplified geometry in the starting area to fix a visplane overflow
- Spread out the gore decorations in the starting area and made the rocket launcher and super shotgun glow so they're a lot easier to notice
- Made the switch leading to the secret mega armor a little trickier to spot
- Made the entrance to the sewer area a drop-down so it can't be bottle-necked; changed the backtrack teleporter to go the very beginning of the map
- Reduced the number of imps in the sewer cages, and the space they have to move, to lighten cleanup
- Removed the unfun sewer archvile

map17 - No Escape:
- Moved a medikit in the cave area so it's easier to get to

map18 - Dead Radio:
- Removed a couple pointless hell knights in the starting area that did nothing but waste time
- Added more cells and a non-secret plasma rifle to the nukage / crusher arena
- Deleted the mussolinis and a handful of monsters in the giant nukage fight to reduce cleanup and lighten strain on the vanilla sprite limit
- Added one more radsuit in the giant nukage arena
- Untagged a linedef in the staircase up from the giant nukage fight that lowered the elevated cyberdemon platform in the beginning area for no real reason

map19 - Port Fury:
- Moved the rocket launcher to right before the drop into the flooded city
- Got rid of most of the hitscanners and decorative things in the flooded city portion since they didn't do much but bloat the sprite limit
- Traded most of the pinkies in the flooded city area in for mancubi since the pinkies didn't really pose a threat; the mancubi block plenty of space on their own and contribute a lot of fireball chaos that makes the fight more interesting
- Made the giant caco-cloud less tedious by significantly thinning its numbers, replacing a lot of them with lost souls, and teleporting the cyberdemons onto ground level instead of crushing them when the fight starts

map20 - Teleporter Central:
- Reworked the western slime pit area a little bit, including fixing a softlock by replacing the functionless switch inside the pit with a teleporter that lets you escape
- Added a couple mancubi and archviles to the western wood area, to give that encounter more spice
- Changed all the barons and hell knights that teleport into the parthenon fight into revenants so the encounter goes by a little quicker
- Redesigned the final archvile fight to make it more palatable, and added a new secret that makes it easier
- Hid the soulsphere secret in a less mean way

map21 - Prison:
- Added an ammo clip to the starting room in case continuous players used all their hitscan ammo in the last map
- Fixed HOMs in the sky around the second cyberdemon cage in the starting area in vanilla

map22 - Nova Akropola:
- Fixed the question mark next to the secret switch not turning into an exclamation mark when that secret is revealed like it's supposed to; also changed the blocking wall to a marble IoS face so it's more obvious that something can be done to lower it
- Made the green door leading deeper into the yellow key area activated with a switch action instead of a door action so the switch texture is affected
- Moved a teleport destination in the blue key fight so mancubi that take it don't get stuck in the wall

map23 - Ancalagon:
- Minor (and not-so-minor) visual adjustments
- Outright removed a lot of the running around and switch-hitting in the first area, instead allowing the player to proceed straight up the staircase and into the fortress; major visual adjustments were made to compensate
- Made the southeastern megasphere secret lower via a linedef action not involving a texture change, so the secret tag no longer disappears
- In the blue key area, removed all monsters and items from the pit, cut off a section of the boardwalk that wasn't really doing anything, made the soulsphere jump slightly easier, moved the plasma gun up to the perch area so it's not secret-only, made the secret switch actually a switch, and replaced one of the pain elementals with a cacodemon
- Added a non-secret BFG in the final arena on Easy and Medium difficulties, while retaining the secret BFG as a way to get early access to its power
- Added a small stairway from the rocket launcher guts room into the green marble hallway section, so the player doesn't have to go all the way around if they fall here
- Added a teleporting barrel that blows up all the fodder enemies in the red key arena lava canal before you arrive, so they can't infinite-height you but their corpses still exist for archviles to revive later
- Removed the pointless pinkies in the final arena
- Changed the zombiemen in the final fight to imps to reduce unavoidable chip damage, ease up on the sprite limit once everything is dead, and make the plasma gun less of a free ticket to victory

map24 - Burnt Guts:

map25 - Castle of the Hell Knights:
- Pegged the lowering guts textures in the eastern interior area
- Removed some unused dummy sectors
- Fixed a floating medkit in the western interior area, and made the switch more noticeable

map26 - Above and Below:
- Added monster-blocking linedefs in places where you need to make jumps so you won't get infinite-heighted by monsters below you

map27 - Venom:
- Retooled some linedeffery so the final fight can't be cheesed using the blue door
- Widened the spine pillars in the final fight and added more cells to make the archviles slightly easier to deal with
- Gave the cyberdemon more room to move and some barons to play with, and raised the lava level in his lair to the point where teleporters are no longer needed to escape from it; also restructured the room to be less at risk of visplane overflows
- Fixed getting softlocked by falling behind the torches in the second BFG secret
- Improved the cacodemon teleport closet so they're less likely to get stuck

map28 - Fortress of Death:
- Fixed the western lava pit ambush being so easy to cheese and improved the functionality of its teleport closet
- Added a monster-blocking line in the mineshaft dropoff area so you won't get blocked yourself
- Made the secret walkway a lowerable lift so you can't get stuck in the corners once it's risen

map29 - The Fountain:
- Made the opening of the map a permanent dropoff so you can't run back to safety and bottleneck monsters
- Added a new access route to the southeastern area with the rocket launcher and mancubi to improve navigability
- Made the monsters in the insta-raise lava pits set to ambush, rather than deafened by sound-blocking lines, and added a few extra cacodemons in the dark cavern area
- Redistributed ammo in the dark cavern area so it's more spread out
- Added a soulsphere to the plasma gun secret
- Unmarked all lines in the westernmost room as monster-blocking so the pain elemental can actually threaten you
- Replaced half of the ambush pinkies in the fireblu chamber with revenants to make the fight more interesting
- Fixed the creature's mouth and gave it some food
- Fixed only one of the secret mastermind telefrag teleporters actually working

map30 - Apocalypse:
- Moved the pinkies closer in to the starting area so it's harder to pass by without shooting

Sorry to keep you all waiting - I hope you enjoy this new and hopefully final version!

@Devalaous I'm very happy that you enjoyed the original wad so much - it's seriously underrated, and it does my heart good to hear you liked the music too! I must have done a good job with that part at least. :)

Edited by Cammy : switched out download link for a fixed version

So what you're saying is that even though I was in the middle of other things and had plans for what to do next, and next after that, I actually have to give one of my favorite mapsets a rerun, just because because?

Posted (edited)

Updated the original RoC patch with the updated tunes, and changed the old Map 6 theme to D_SMOKE, so it can still be played in some ports via console commands. I wont be able to play the RC2 remaster or any Doom in ages sadly, due to injuries making me lose the use of my arm, but at least some copy and paste help I can do

Edited by Devalaous

Posted (edited)

Testing this with Eternity Engine v4.02.00 "Forseti". For some reason MAP01's sky doesn't appear correctly.

Spoiler

etrn32.png

4 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I wont be able to play the RC2 remaster or any Doom in ages sadly, due to injuries making me lose the use of my arm, but at least some copy and paste help I can do

Ouch... Sorry to hear that Dev, I hope you get some help for your arm one of these days 🙏

Edited by taufan99

Ah damn, so sorry to hear about your injuries, @Devalaous. Hopefully your recovery is as quick and painless as it can be, both for Doom and non-Doom reasons - arms are good for a hell of a lot more than playing video games. I admire your diligence even in spite of that. Take care of yourself!

14 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Testing this with Eternity Engine v4.02.00 "Forseti". For some reason MAP01's sky doesn't appear correctly.

This is really strange because earlier versions of the wad had an EMAPINFO lump for Eternity players that I ended up removing in this version. Seems more likely to me that an issue like this would have arisen because of an issue in an existing EMAPINFO lump than because of the lack of one. I wonder, are you playing with some sort of setting or save game carried over from previous versions of the wad?

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

I wonder, are you playing with some sort of setting or save game carried over from previous versions of the wad?

Nope, not at all. This is my first experience with Realm of Chaos, in fact.

Eternity's dev builds read UMAPINFO, which is why I stopped including EMAPINFO in patches. You can try one of those and see if the issue is fixed there

Thanks for the RC2 @Cammy .

When I fisrt heard about this project I decided to blast though the original RoC. It's a nice classic wad full of good ideas but some levels really bothered me with the lack of proper shadowing effects (feels like I was wearing the nv googles all the time lol) and I droped it on map 10 =/ .

I just made my way to map 16, passing by maps 31 (took me about 40min to find the godamn obvious secret exit) and 32 on UV (GzDoom_g4.12pre-469-gb1f53e7eb) with no problems so far. HOLLY MOLY, what a ride so far, really good stuff and I'm in love with the soundtracks, they give me such nostalgic feeling that I can't explain tbh. RoC25 is becaming one of my fav wads of all time and again thanks so much for all the hard work and love you're putting in this project <3.

20 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Updated the original RoC patch with the updated tunes, and changed the old Map 6 theme to D_SMOKE, so it can still be played in some ports via console commands. I wont be able to play the RC2 remaster or any Doom in ages sadly, due to injuries making me lose the use of my arm, but at least some copy and paste help I can do

@Devalaous I hope you recover well and can be back as good as new marine <3 . 

1 hour ago, Auron said:

RoC25 is becaming one of my fav wads of all time and again thanks so much for all the hard work and love you're putting in this project <3.

Thank you! That is incredibly high praise and I'm honored you're enjoying the wad and its music this much. :D Good luck with the rest of it!

@taufan99 One last question, sorry for the repeat pings - does this sky issue happen only on map01, or are other levels affected?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Cammy said:

Thank you! That is incredibly high praise and I'm honored you're enjoying the wad and its music this much. :D Good luck with the rest of it!

@taufan99 One last question, sorry for the repeat pings - does this sky issue happen only on map01, or are other levels affected?

Ive found the issue; its the MAPINFO's 'RSKY1' instead of 'SKY1'. Devbuild Eternity had the checkered sky for all of E1 but not E2 or E3, and Doomsday also had a missing sky in E1. Removing the R fixed the issue in both ports.

Basically do a find/replace and replace all RSKY1/RSKY2/RSKY3 instances with ones without the R

Whats odd here though, is that for Eternity, UMAPINFO should have entirely overwritten the MAPINFO entry, but it was the other way around

Edited by Devalaous

@Devalaous I see! Thank you for clarifying. I'll make the necessary fixes - concerning Eternity's preference, could it just be because the MAPINFO lump is below the UMAPINFO lump in Slade? I know that if you have duplicate patch names for something like a texture or midi then Doom only considers whichever the last patch in the order with that name is, so is it possible that Eternity is only checking for the last UMAPINFO or MAPINFO patch in the order regardless of what type it is? Or could there be something wrong with the UMAPINFO patch that prevents it from being read by Eternity?

I flipped the xinfo lump order and it had no difference. Not sure why 'RSKY1' doesn't work in those two ports while 'RSKY2' does, the sky dimensions are the same, and the offsets are the same. Crispy had no issues, so its not the sky textures themselves. But yeah, the RSKY thing is a common tripping point, as ZDoom/GZDoom have no issues with that (unless its a long sky like TNT's starry sky) while other ports do, so its easy to miss. All my earlier patches had that issue and I had to frantically fix like 10 of them after I found skyless buggy messes

According to this old post it doesnt actually say that UMAPINFO overrides MAPINFO, so im guessing its just reading both at once.

2 hours ago, Cammy said:

One last question, sorry for the repeat pings - does this sky issue happen only on map01, or are other levels affected?

Only MAP01 from what I've played so far.

Posted (edited)

Found an untexture/hom thingamabob on lvl 7. Playin in dsda. In the circular room just next to the blue door on the automap, after the stairway opens giving you access to the upper ledge, it appears like the wall itself opens up but just behind it is a lift/door that is untextured on one side so when it closes/comes down we can see homs. 😀

Posted (edited)

RoC-25th Finished. Really good wad with classic feeling and amazing soundtraks. I'm going to give it another run very soon. Played on GzDoom dev build on UV.

Thanks @Cammy for the amazing remaster.

screenshot_gzdoom_dev-build_RoC25_rc2.png

Hi Cammy, I meant to reply to this thread after the DWMC played it but it slipped my mind. Sorry!

Two significant issues in the version I played (notallthewaytorc2), they might be fixed already:

MAP15: you can get softlocked here, in the slimy brick area, since you can step over one side from the higher ledge but then can't get back out.

3MRkObN.png

MAP20: there is a switch in some slime with tag 34, but no sectors with that tag.

I also made some edits to the skies so they tile vertically, and a blue invlun colormap, which you are welcome to use if you'd like.

roc_xtra.wad

I did like RoC25 but had to play in Crispy Doom to enjoy it, there were too many moments of excess monsters that exceeded Chocolate Doom's MAXVISSPRITES limit.

Posted (edited)

@plums No worries, thanks for checking in! You'll be happy to know that the issues in map15 and map20 have already been fixed in RC2, and I've even added in a colormap lump that gives you blue-and-silver vision with the invuln. I admit I don't know a damn thing about how colormaps work under the hood, I just went with what felt like it would work, and it does, but you or anyone else is totally free to tinker with it and make it look a little better if you'd like. And thank you for the vertically-tiling skies! I'll happily implement them. :)

And sorry about the flagrant annihilation of the sprite limit in so many of these maps - I didn't really grasp what a serious issue it was, going into a lot of these reworks. Even so, RC2 features some adjustments that help lighten the load for particularly bad areas, and you can bet I'll be much more careful of it in future vanilla maps (and oh, I do plan to make quite a number of future vanilla maps). Thanks for playing, glad you liked it either way!

I've updated the download links with a few miniscule map and midi changes you shouldn't even notice, but more importantly with plums' vertically tiling skies and the necessary adjustments to UMAP and MAP info lumps. Hopefully this fixes the skies for all ports!

Edit: Forgot to mention this new version also fixes the accidental door that @Insaneprophet found in map07. Good catch!

Edited by Cammy

Posted (edited)

Im uncertian if this was purposfull or not so Im just gunna put it out there. On lvl 17, past the "run" section, in the cave that you pick up red key, alot of the grey rock walls texturing is missalligned.

I dont remember if it was always like this but on lvl 19, every time I go to make the jump down into the lava room with the red key I am blocked by the infinite hieght of the revenants. I dont know if the 2 closer ones get in the way or not but the 2 on the far side of the room see me and run over to block me from jumping down before I get a chance to even line up a jump... dont know if theres anything that can be adjusted or if it even should be, but Ive had this happen on 10 different attempts in a row... And I just now noticed that at least one of the 2 lil med kits in there by the door is halfway in the walkway 😀

Edited by Insaneprophet

@Insaneprophet Good catches yet again! I'll get these issues fixed right up. Might do some retexturing in the map17 cave since everything being the same texture makes it kind of hard to ensure everything is aligned properly, when taking into account the platforms on differing height levels. I'm not sure if I'll hotfix RC2 again unless something really big pops up, but these changes will make it to idgames, that's for sure. Thank you so much!

I'm also working on uploading this wad's music to my YouTube channel. I had to make a couple further edits to some of the tracks, but what you hear on YouTube will be the ultra-super-really-for-real final versions of the tracks - and again, it will be these versions that make it to idgames.

Hey Cammy, I want to chime in on my maps at least before you upload to idgames. Wish I had time for more! But first, I want to wish @Devalaous a full and rapid recovery from all your injuries. I'm amazed that you still provide so much help for this project. Thank you! :)

@Cammy: I played Map06 today and loved all your changes. That includes the creepy new BGM which IMO fits the map like a glove. Of course, I still love the first midi you made for this map.

I like the windows you added that look towards the outside secret area at the start.  I considered something similar back in the day, but decided against it because I had so many monsters out there. ;D Showing players that big outdoor area is a great way to get them wanting to find the secret path, Of course, I found it, because you had the same Blue Door mechanic from the last version, and while the secret fight is still easy, it's a more fun easy. I really like the blue screen effect in that battle, too.

In the main, apart from a few improvements that made some battles spicier, the map was much the same as before until you go down into the southeast nukage pools. I like the added stairway that allows for another way to attack this area, along with a cool new path to a couple secrets, as well as an easier way to see the switch that opens the Plasma Gun path.  The real highlight, tho, is the final battles, which really brought the pain. I suffered most of my 6 deaths here, and had a blast dying my way to victory. I love the way you cunningly changed these end battles and tightened the map. Very good engineering on your part! I should mention that I attacked this map almost entirely backwards from the way I normally do it, and happily found it more challenging. A big win all the way around.

Machine Gun Etiquette next!

Ive finished my run through, got nothing else that I noticed to report, had a good time with these yet again and I think Im done for now.... till the next ROC comes out and I can rerun them all... AH HAH HAH HAH HA   AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HA

Posted (edited)

cool mapset but its weird how in freedoom the freedoom pistol has a blue muzzle flash but the freedoom shotgun gets replaced by the doom shotgun with blue muzzle flash also you mustve added custom frames to the cacodemon spritesheet because the troglodyte turned into one upon death same goes with the battleslug which turns into the mancubus when attacking

Edited by TMMMS

gamebreaking glitch in map04

i was heading towards the exit when i turned the last corner and was met with a big group of former humans like in that scene from star wars a new hope i retreated back to the large four way circular room where i proceeded to kill the last enemies but when i returned to that corridor i was met with an invisible wall at the curve with some wall textures now missing

it must be gzdooms doing

invisble wall curve.jpg

4 minutes ago, TMMMS said:

gamebreaking glitch in map04

Ahh, this is another stray line that's told to activate a door where no door actually exists. That "invisible wall" was actually the above ceiling having descended like a closing door. Another good catch, thank you! It doesn't surprise me that two of these slipped through the cracks, with how much restructuring some of these maps went through. This will be fixed for idgames. Not much I can do about the Freedoom sprite issues, though - of course, this wad wasn't made with Freedoom in mind. :)

ah good to know this isnt just me

as for the inconsistent sprites i guess you could always include the rest in the wad but this might increase the file size considerably

still surprising that the new pistol muzzleflash would be compatible with the freedoom pistol tho i was not expecting that

Yo! Just reaffirming that I still intend to submit RoC25 to idgames on the 19th, so if anyone playing it experiences any issues, please let me know. Thank you!

@taufan99 Have you gotten the chance to try out the April 3rd hotfix yet? Hopefully the sky issue has been fixed.