Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Are most of the original sources for Doom's sound effects lost to time?

6 minutes ago, Maes said:

Wasn't there even a complete HD SFX recreation/re-sourcing project somewhat recently (well, in the last 10 years anyway)?

I think there were at least two, perhaps even three. The first was Perkristian's sound pack, the second was Sound Caulking, and the perhaps third is what I believe led to the Decino video embedded earlier.

37 minutes ago, Gez said:

I think there were at least two, perhaps even three. The first was Perkristian's sound pack, the second was Sound Caulking, and the perhaps third is what I believe led to the Decino video embedded earlier.

You also have Sound Bulb (I think that's what it was called).

Edit, here it is:

11 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

I guess the studio-specific sound effect libraries aren't royalty-free after all, and are at a cost.

"Royalty-free" only references the licensing regarding their use (ie. you only pay for them once, or never as the case may be, as opposed to coughing up a percentage of everything you sell that uses them).

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

You also have Sound Bulb (I think that's what it was called).

Edit, here it is:

IIRC Sound Bulb takes Perkristian's efforts to source the original stock audio, and fills in the gaps by feeding the remaining unsourced audio through an array of filters and effects to get them a bit clearer and closer to their sourced counterparts. Pretty well done, but not the originals.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, slugger said:

I've still got my fingers crossed that one day we'll find out where the HOOOOOOOOOO!! sound comes from (the Baron wakeup sound). Since it hasn't been found yet in sample libraries, and it sounds unlike anything on the planet, I suspect it was frankensteined out of unsourceable parts.

It's definitely the most effective sound in the game. Always wakes me up

On 11/30/2021 at 11:41 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

Did anyone ever find the source for the Arch-Vile's sounds? Because I did find a longer version of his chase sound.

could you send it?

On 11/14/2021 at 10:24 PM, Rudolph said:

What the fuck?!?

Why so expensive?

Because they've been used in countless games and movies.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

Did anyone ever find the source for the Arch-Vile's sounds? Because I did find a longer version of his chase sound.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, The BMFG said:

could you send it?

It's here, under the second bullet point. There's a link to a SFX pack that has the longer idle sound, as well as a separate download just for the sound. In addition, the post has a positive ID for the generic projectile explosion, though this is on the wiki's sound effect origin page already. (There's also an erroneous extra period at the end of that post's Stockmusic URL. Its presence brings you to a orchestral shitting and farting 'song' instead of the intended stock sound.)

In all honestly, I think there's another, currently unidentified sound library that was used for a handful of Doom's SFX. This post shows that the song "Chuckie" by the Geto Boys plays Doomguy's death scream at 1:03; however, the album came out in 1991, well before Doom or even Wolfenstein 3D*. Furthermore, the aforementioned Arch-vile SFX pack is from 1997, long after Doom's release.

*Of course, there is a tiny chance that Bobby Prince took the scream from Chuckie and (somehow) edited the backing track out. This would not be surprising if true, given the Donna to the Rescue/Body Count's in the House musical connection.

The question now becomes "What stock sound effect library (or libraries) did these sounds come from?" As of writing, I haven't the foggiest. I know that it's most likely not from any of the contemporary Sound Ideas/Hollywood Edge libraries. I scoured damn near all of them (can post a list if need be) for the aforementioned CD-i Zelda sound effect source thing, and I didn't find anything for Doom apart from what is already known. If I did, I would've posted it on here by now.

That Arch-Vile sound is something else. I never would have expected the original sound to be what it is..!

Thank you MundyC for pointing out the typo on the link to the generic projectile explosion sound source. It´s fixed now. I have also made some more discoveries. The thump part of pinky/spectre death sound comes from Elektra Records - Authentic Sound Effects Volume 3. It´s short section of track 91 - Body falling downstairs These Elektra Records libraries were first released on 1964 and later re-released on CD on late 80´s. The DSSWTCHN source can be found on volume 8 on same library: source . Currently source for this sound is marked to be found on some Sony sound effect library. Most propably that is where Boby originally got it from, but it´s source originally comes from this Elektra Records library. Furthermore, two Wolfenstein 3d sounds can be found on these libraries. Pistol sound is recording of Ruger Mini firing on volume 3. Volume 1 has the german shepherd barking sound. Searching from archive.org with term 'sound effects' brings plenty of sound effect libraries to listen through. You can find aforementioned libraries and more from there.

Awesome! The switch press noise's origin was already known, but the pinky death thud and Wolfenstein 3D guard + dog sounds are definitely new.

When I have the time, I'll look through the first few Authentic Sound Effects entries and see if I can find any more Doom sound matches.

EDIT: Looked through the first four entries as they're all on YouTube. It didn't take me long to uncover DSSWTCHX's original sound, right after the one used for DSSWTCHN! That's another unidentified sound off the list. Sadly, I couldn't find any more Doom sounds in the entries apart from what's listed in the previous post.

Edited by MundyC

I wonder if anyone can get in contact with YouTuber Cas van de Pol on how he found the sources of the DSDMACT & DSVIPAIN sounds for his "The Ultimate "Spongebob Squarepants Movie" Recap Cartoon" & "The Ultimate "Madagascar" Recap Cartoon" videos.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:43 AM, MundyC said:

EDIT: Looked through the first four entries as they're all on YouTube. It didn't take me long to uncover DSSWTCHX's original sound, right after the one used for DSSWTCHN! That's another unidentified sound off the list. Sadly, I couldn't find any more Doom sounds in the entries apart from what's listed in the previous post.

Excellent! I can finally cast my crappy recreation attempt into the abyss, although I'm kinda proud of how it turned out. I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere else.

I have an idea where to look for DSVILACT source. Halloween themed CDs,LPs and tapes. I already found it being used on Dominion Entertainment - Scary Sounds of Halloween. You can hear it on 2 min 2 seconds. Too bad it is covered with other sounds and it does not really sound better than the one on that RomTech sound library. I´ll search through more of these types of CDs and report back if i find higher quality version of it.

Wanted to bump this thread up, but recently the DSTINK sound was actually sourced from the NeXTSTEP OS, the same operating system that Doom was developed on before release on MS-DOS.

So far though, nobody has extracted the NeXTSTEP OS sound effects in higher quality despite the fact that the OS is abandonware and can be emulated in 86Box, PCem & QEMU.

The pinky's chomp sound effect seems to be only saved on a youtube video advertising "Sound Ideas Volume 6000". But the mentioned installation of the "Sound Ideas" does not contain any matching audio file. I guess Robert was just quick to grab it,maybe it's stored in some archive,but i wouldn't know.

13 hours ago, Shibainumaster said:

The pinky's chomp sound effect seems to be only saved on a youtube video advertising "Sound Ideas Volume 6000". But the mentioned installation of the "Sound Ideas" does not contain any matching audio file. I guess Robert was just quick to grab it,maybe it's stored in some archive,but i wouldn't know.

It's possible that the Pinky Chomp sound effect source was likely purged from Sound Ideas' archive while they were working on their HTML5 audio player archive service meaning it is no longer available for commercial licensing or it was stored in a different release of their royalty-free sound effects.

In the meantime, I've provided a recreation of the original sound source for the time being, unless the real true name of the Pinky's chomp sound effect gets discovered somehow.

Wow, I never thought DSTINK would be sourced, I always assumed it was original. Nice find!

8 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

It's possible that the Pinky Chomp sound effect source was likely purged from Sound Ideas' archive while they were working on their HTML5 audio player archive service meaning it is no longer available for commercial licensing or it was stored in a different release of their royalty-free sound effects.

In the meantime, I've provided a recreation of the original sound source for the time being, unless the real true name of the Pinky's chomp sound effect gets discovered somehow.

Yeah it's exactly that one! 

Archviles roaming source audio comes from Valentino Sound Effects Library vol. 33 track 34. It´s called ’Demented man howling’. Unfortunately the source audio does not sound signficantly more clearer. That same volume also has two weird recordings of mosquitoes, ’Insect-bees-swarm’ and ’Insect-mosquitos-swarm’, that sound like they could have been used for roaming Arachnotron. I have also come upon potential source for Arachnotron sighting sound. Small section between 1 to 3 seconds of this recording of squealing pig from SI Series 6000 (https://soundideas.sourceaudio.com/track/7620064). Sounds like some form of upwards sliding pitch shifting was used. Archviles sight sound propably uses this same effect

On 11/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, Rudolph said:

What the fuck?!?

Why so expensive?

Honestly, having used Sound Ideas before, the price tag looks scary at first but you can make your money's worth in the long run
(Haven't really bought it tho, I was using a school workstation that happened to have it lol)

22 minutes ago, Ayeloo said:

Honestly, having used Sound Ideas before, the price tag looks scary at first but you can make your money's worth in the long run
(Haven't really bought it tho, I was using a school workstation that happened to have it lol)

If you make a living from sound design and can cover the cost through the studio or company you work for (and I think they used to cost a lot more than 500). That's basically the type of client base they priced their products for, because that's what the profession overwhelmingly used to look like. Nowadays the bar of entry is a lot lower for hobbyists and freelancers.

Basically the same as just about any legacy media software company with their roots in the 80s or 90s who are still mostly just selling prohibitively expensive products meant for old school professionals, and don't have much interest in catering to a wider sphere of customers, so newer companies start popping up in the modern marketplace to fill that void. I'd say the same has very much happened to sound design libraries within the past decade.

2 minutes ago, lazygecko said:

Nowadays the bar of entry is a lot lower for hobbyists and freelancers.

newer companies start popping up in the modern marketplace to fill that void. I'd say the same has very much happened to sound design libraries within the past decade.

Def true, I haven't used it much but I got this one for free and it's a couple gigs big, variety seems very nice
Royalty free stuff seems like the go-to option for anyone w a project in mind

Perhaps looking into the Authentic Sound Effects and Premiere Edition sound libraries could bring more clues to most of the sources for Doom's sound effects.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:22 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Wanted to bump this thread up, but recently the DSTINK sound was actually sourced from the NeXTSTEP OS, the same operating system that Doom was developed on before release on MS-DOS.

So far though, nobody has extracted the NeXTSTEP OS sound effects in higher quality despite the fact that the OS is abandonware and can be emulated in 86Box, PCem & QEMU.

Quoting myself here, but I wonder if sound effects from other operating systems released between the early-1980s and early to mid 1990s were used as sources for the sounds in Doom 1 & 2. One could search in the files of Windows 3.0 MME (Multimedia Extensions), Windows 3.1, OS/2 Warp 3, classic MacOS versions 1 through 7 and probably other Unix-based operating systems to find more leads for Doom 1 & 2's sound sources.

Perhaps other early pre-IBM PC home computer sounds were used for Doom 1 & 2's sound sources as well.