Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molecicco

[GZDoom] DOOM CE: PSX TC & D64 Retribution, overhauled

49 minutes ago, Nevander said:

GZDoom has no way of automatically adjusting the kill count based on ACS spawning actions, so no it's not broken. It's purely a side effect of scripting.

This works differently here because everything is ZScripted. It is trivial to make spawned monsters not count using ZScript by changing their COUNTKILL flag as soon as they get spawned (though it is not implemented in this mod because that is not how the original worked).

2 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

Is the kill counter broken perhaps? Some maps have a given number of monsters, but often after you've killed them all, if new monsters spawn via scripting they get added to the counter. 

Are you using the latest version? This bug got introduced on 3.3.0 but I fixed it on 3.3.1, unless I missed something else. Item counts for spawned items were also broken.

EDIT: To clarify, spawned monsters do get added to the kill count, that's how the original worked. There was a bug on 3.3.0 where monster spawners were counting towards the kill count, making reaching 100% impossible. Spawn-blocked monsters were also counting because GZDoom changed the behavior when an Actor's Destroy() method is called. Before it used to remove them from the kill count, but after 4.8 they remain in the counter. I fixed all of this in 3.3.1.

Edited by molecicco

On 9/5/2022 at 9:16 PM, molecicco said:

This works differently here because everything is ZScripted. It is trivial to make spawned monsters not count using ZScript by changing their COUNTKILL flag as soon as they get spawned (though it is not implemented in this mod because that is not how the original worked).

Are you using the latest version? This bug got introduced on 3.3.0 but I fixed it on 3.3.1, unless I missed something else. Item counts for spawned items were also broken.

EDIT: To clarify, spawned monsters do get added to the kill count, that's how the original worked. There was a bug on 3.3.0 where monster spawners were counting towards the kill count, making reaching 100% impossible. Spawn-blocked monsters were also counting because GZDoom changed the behavior when an Actor's Destroy() method is called. Before it used to remove them from the kill count, but after 4.8 they remain in the counter. I fixed all of this in 3.3.1.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that, I really thought it was a glitch. 😊

Hey, so, another question. Let's say I alter the main ipk3 file with a bunch of changes of my own and upload it to moddb under a different name like 'Doom 64 CE Revamped' or, 'Altered Doom 64 CE' , would that be ok, or do I need to be granted permission to do so?

On 9/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, NaliSeed said:

Hey, so, another question. Let's say I alter the main ipk3 file with a bunch of changes of my own and upload it to moddb under a different name like 'Doom 64 CE Revamped' or, 'Altered Doom 64 CE' , would that be ok, or do I need to be granted permission to do so?

Yes, no problem, however I recommend you make a sub-mod that only applies your changes instead of duplicating the whole thing. Not only will it save a lot of disk space for people who want both versions, it will also make it easier to stay compatible with the upstream, which I'm still updating. Otherwise, you will need to keep synchronizing your changes manually and people will need to download two huge mods each time.

6 hours ago, molecicco said:

Yes, no problem, however I recommend you make a sub-mod that only applies your changes instead of duplicating the whole thing. Not only will it save a lot of disk space for people who want both versions, it will also make it easier to stay compatible with the upstream, which I'm still updating. Otherwise, you will need to keep synchronizing your changes manually and people will need to download two huge mods each time.

Sweet, thanks 😎. I was actually changing stuff within the main ipk3 file, didn't know you could load a separate file, silly me 🤦🏻‍♂️. File just went from about 83 mb to a mere 3.

Version 3.4.0 is up. https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce

The highlights are:

• Even more bugfixes.
  • Doomslayer/Ultra-Nightmare difficulties have been reworked based on play tester feedback (thanks Steppskie and Zoya). The levels are still in no way balanced for it, but it should be less tedious than having to fight dozens of additional hell knights and barons. The difficulty is now composed of the following modifiers:
    • Monster health is reduced by 20%

• Player damage taken is increased by 20%

• Ammo pickups are downgraded to their lowest tier (e.g box of shells to a single shell).

• Ammo is worth 300%.

• Monsters have a chance to change the frame rate of their next animation, making them faster and more unpredictable.

• Monsters have a high chance to stop being stunned by pain and may counter attack if they get into a pain state.

• Monsters have a chance to stop infighting.

• Monsters that shoot projectiles have 33% chance to fire one that has higher speed.

• Monsters are more aggressive.

• Added an option to style messages like the originals.
    Spoiler

psxmsg.png.9f8abad33c23afbe67afa3cade8ab15b.png

d64msg.png.2f3ef9bf4d1057f15fb8fe047306c5b6.png

• Added new cast of characters cutscenes that are more faithful to the originals. You can rotate the sprites by pressing the movement keys and the extra monster types will appear if the options to add them are enabled.
    Spoiler

psxcast.png.0b08805ffcb365d40565272ffd73acb4.png

d64cast.png.6b44ca2bf53586d3abbf1ee1985dfea6.png

• Added an option to show a small icon on the fullscreen hud when berserk is active.
    Spoiler

psxbsrk.png.ed9c32cc1e8a04a559a4cc20a60fc523.png

d64bsrk.png.8318590d80747ab7d2ba1fa05839d090.png

A couple of Doom 64's Lost Levels received very minor bug fixes, so if you are interested in that, you will need to delete your generated doom64.iwad and doom64.ce.lostlevels.pk3 and run the installer again. The level packs converted by me in ModDB's Addons tab have also received updates, so you will need to re-download those as well.

4 hours ago, CrazyJeff said:

The Reckoning chapter says 0/0 secrets on every map.

That's how the maps they were converted from were. I suppose I could get creative and mark some secrets, but they would be "unofficial".

Edited by molecicco

2 hours ago, molecicco said:

Version 3.4.0 is up. https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce

The highlights are:

• Even more bugfixes.
  • Doomslayer/Ultra-Nightmare difficulties have been reworked based on play tester feedback (thanks Steppskie and Zoya). The levels are still in no way balanced for it, but it should be less tedious than having to fight dozens of additional hell knights and barons. The difficulty is now composed of the following modifiers:
    • Monster health is reduced by 20%

• Player damage taken is increased by 20%

• Ammo pickups are downgraded to their lowest tier (e.g box of shells to a single shell).

• Ammo is worth 300%.

• Monsters have a chance to change the frame rate of their next animation, making them faster and more unpredictable.

• Monsters have a high chance to stop being stunned by pain and may counter attack if they get into a pain state.

• Monsters that shoot projectiles have 33% chance to fire one that has higher speed.

• Monsters are more aggressive.

• Added an option to style messages like the originals.
      Reveal hidden contents

psxmsg.png.9f8abad33c23afbe67afa3cade8ab15b.png

d64msg.png.2f3ef9bf4d1057f15fb8fe047306c5b6.png

• Added new cast of characters cutscenes that are more faithful to the originals. You can rotate the sprites by pressing the movement keys and the extra monster types will appear if the options to add them are enabled.
      Reveal hidden contents

psxcast.png.0b08805ffcb365d40565272ffd73acb4.png

d64cast.png.6b44ca2bf53586d3abbf1ee1985dfea6.png

• Added an option to show a small icon on the fullscreen hud when berserk is active.
      Reveal hidden contents

psxbsrk.png.ed9c32cc1e8a04a559a4cc20a60fc523.png

d64bsrk.png.8318590d80747ab7d2ba1fa05839d090.png

A couple of Doom 64's Lost Levels received very minor bug fixes, so if you are interested in that, you will need to delete your generated doom64.iwad and doom64.ce.lostlevels.pk3 and run the installer again. The level packs converted by me in ModDB's Addons tab have also received updates, so you will need to re-download those as well.

That's how the maps they were converted from were. I suppose I could get creative and mark some secrets, but they would be "unofficial".

Okay, I was wondering about that, no big deal then. I just have to say, this has got to be the best way to enjoy everything DOOM 64 has to offer.

And in one convenient package, with SO many options. I'm having a great time with this :)

The Reckoning does have official secrets. I'm not sure how the editor tagged them, but they're acknowledged in-game.

recsec.png

29 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

The Reckoning does have official secrets. I'm not sure how the editor tagged them, but they're acknowledged in-game.

Thanks, there must be a different way of tagging them in Doomsday that wasn’t accounted for. That explains why none of the bonus maps contain any secrets too. I based these conversions from the conversions xthegiddoomerx made for EX which had no secrets, and when I went to the editor to look at the original maps, I couldn’t find any either. I’ll correct this for the next update.

Can a full mod compatibility list be put up for the DOOM CE on the first post? With details on whether they work for DOOM 64 or not?

I hope this gets done.

I really like how "natural" and "believable" certain Doom 64 monsters are with Smooth monsters option on, but am spotting frames like below which makes me keep this off on 3.4.0. Anything about my GZDoom settings that could improve the situation?

image-2022-10-24-180820489.png

9 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

I really like how "natural" and "believable" certain Doom 64 monsters are with Smooth monsters option on, but am spotting frames like below which makes me keep this off on 3.4.0. Anything about my GZDoom settings that could improve the situation?

image-2022-10-24-180820489.png

Yeah, that's pretty ugly; which is unfortunate since I can't go back to vanilla animations after using the Smooth option. I tried photoshoping that myself but didn't go well, it's not something GZDoom can fix, unless you turn the smooth animations off. Guess we can only hope it gets fixed in a future version. 

Hey! I greatly appreciate placing the maps I worked on for the CE edition which is amazing to say. I wasn't sure if those maps would ever see the light of day in this community but nonetheless thank you. 

I was noticing that Phobos Mission Control was submitted unfinished and I would like to resubmit the map once completed in the coming days. I have a pretty busy schedule but I can make some time to adjust specific areas of the unfinished map. 

Any input/constructive criticism would be welcomed.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, ludicrous_peridot said:

These artifacts are a product of how the interpolation was made. Unfortunately the generated pngs are blurry and distorted like that so there's nothing that you can do except disabling smooth monsters. The real solution would be for someone to create better and more competent sprites, or to clean them up manually.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, BlackxZodiac13 said:

I was noticing that Phobos Mission Control was submitted unfinished and I would like to resubmit the map once completed in the coming days. I have a pretty busy schedule but I can make some time to adjust specific areas of the unfinished map. 

Any input/constructive criticism would be welcomed.

Sure! I estimate I'll be publishing an new version in 2 weeks, so if you have it ready by then I'll include it. If not, I can always include it in the next one.

Hey @molecicco, a couple folks are streaming The UnMaking on CE right now and there seems to be a major bug in Map13 where the lowering sector around the exit will start going back up at one point, I think right after it finishes lowering all the way. A less significant issue is present in Map10 where some of the barrels in the final stretch before the blue key don't spawn, most critically the first one in the chain, so they don't explode as intended. Could you take a look when you have a chance?

9 hours ago, scwiba said:

Hey @molecicco, a couple folks are streaming The UnMaking on CE right now and there seems to be a major bug in Map13 where the lowering sector around the exit will start going back up at one point, I think right after it finishes lowering all the way. A less significant issue is present in Map10 where some of the barrels in the final stretch before the blue key don't spawn, most critically the first one in the chain, so they don't explode as intended. Could you take a look when you have a chance?

Looks like they're not using the latest version (of both CE and the UnMaking addon), I fixed the barrel not spawning in map10 a couple of months ago. It was related to a change in gzdoom where things would get spawn-blocked where they wouldn't in previous versions and viceversa. I suggest upgrading to the latest, because I'm sure it caused side effects in other maps as well.

As for the map13 platform, it's been like that since the start, I thought it was a troll move from you lol. It raises for some seconds right at the end and then lowers again. Seems like the highlighted lines in the macro didn't translate well to gzdoom. I'll look into it.

image.png.e3c937d058fc40d37c90cf64b39814fb.png

5 hours ago, molecicco said:

Looks like they're not using the latest version (of both CE and the UnMaking addon), I fixed the barrel not spawning in map10 a couple of months ago. It was related to a change in gzdoom where things would get spawn-blocked where they wouldn't in previous versions and viceversa. I suggest upgrading to the latest, because I'm sure it caused side effects in other maps as well.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

5 hours ago, molecicco said:

As for the map13 platform, it's been like that since the start, I thought it was a troll move from you lol. It raises for some seconds right at the end and then lowers again. Seems like the highlighted lines in the macro didn't translate well to gzdoom. I'll look into it.

Lmao, no it's not me being a troll. Though now you've got me paranoid this happens in the other versions too. Really you can just remove all the movement after the first time it completely lowers. The timing might end up different but I think people already have enough trouble with this map -- it's okay if they can leave a little early.

On 11/4/2022 at 9:20 PM, molecicco said:

These artifacts are a product of how the interpolation was made. Unfortunately the generated pngs are blurry and distorted like that so there's nothing that you can do except disabling smooth monsters. The real solution would be for someone to create better and more competent sprites, or to clean them up manually.

Sure! I estimate I'll be publishing an new version in 2 weeks, so if you have it ready by then I'll include it. If not, I can always include it in the next one.

While you're at it, would it be possible to fix this:

torch.jpg

I've released version 3.5.0 at ModDB. Some highlights:

• Updated for GZDoom 4.9.
  • The "Use PC Speed" option in PSX Doom now also changes the frame speed of monsters.

• The Reckoning, Temple Ruins and Temple Grounds now have secrets tagged.

• Changed the Doom 64 Archvile sprite for a work-in-progress one by DrPySpy.

• Spoiler

• Lowered the Doom 64 Revenant's missile damage by half, and its speed by 3.

• The BGM.Arranged addons are no longer included in the Full download, and are now in ModDB's addons page.

In addition to that, I've also uploaded an addon that lets you play the PSX campaigns using Doom 64's gameplay and visual style. It is not perfect, but you can think of it as a sort of more faithful D64ifier for the PSX campaigns. Original textures are from Super Doom 64 by StrikerMan780. The Icon of Sin texture is from the D64ifier by Cryonaut.

Spoiler

Screenshot_PsxDoomCE_20221113_140153.jpg.f171094a848d725c99582f3a629e91be.jpgScreenshot_PsxDoomCE_20221113_135907.jpg.28a95866ac37a2711f99a3b58770145b.jpg

1 hour ago, molecicco said:

In addition to that, I've also uploaded an addon that lets you play the PSX campaigns using Doom 64's gameplay and visual style. It is not perfect, but you can think of it as a sort of more faithful D64ifier for the PSX campaigns. Original textures are from Super Doom 64 by StrikerMan780. The Icon of Sin texture is from the D64ifier by Cryonaut.

Now, this is cool! Even though my laptop is just not powerful enough for DOOM CE, variations like this give such a replayability value.

Spoiler

Also, PSX-styled D64 campaign (Absolution) when :P

Wow, that Archvile looks great, pretty consistent with the DOOM64 re-design.

Are there any pics/videos of the other added monsters like the Revenant?

11 hours ago, molecicco said:

I've released version 3.5.0 at ModDB. Some highlights:

• Updated for GZDoom 4.9.
  • The "Use PC Speed" option in PSX Doom now also changes the frame speed of monsters.

• The Reckoning, Temple Ruins and Temple Grounds now have secrets tagged.

• Changed the Doom 64 Archvile sprite for a work-in-progress one by DrPySpy.

•   Reveal hidden contents

• Lowered the Doom 64 Revenant's missile damage by half, and its speed by 3.

• The BGM.Arranged addons are no longer included in the Full download, and are now in ModDB's addons page.

Hide contents

Screenshot_PsxDoomCE_20221113_140153.jpg.f171094a848d725c99582f3a629e91be.jpgScreenshot_PsxDoomCE_20221113_135907.jpg.28a95866ac37a2711f99a3b58770145b.jpg

excellent work as always. im curious, the main file for doom64 ce full is only 880+mb compared to the 1.66gb file for v3.4. was there content cut out? or is the file incomplete?

3 minutes ago, sbw37 said:

excellent work as always. im curious, the main file for doom64 ce full is only 880+mb compared to the 1.66gb file for v3.4. was there content cut out? or is the file incomplete?

Probably the arranged BGM being separated into an addon, as mentioned in the changes.

6 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Wow, that Archvile looks great, pretty consistent with the DOOM64 re-design.

Yeah, the previous Archvile left a lot to be desired in my opinion, being just a smaller Mother Demon pretending to be an Archvile. This one's a lot better.

Already posted this on moddb, but I'm leaving it here just the same:

I'm still experiencing the wall-torch-fire-moving-with-sectors issue.

The problem seems to be that "fire.bMOVEWITHSECTOR" is set to true; should be false.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, TasAcri said:

I don't think there's any, but you can see Revenant blasting me in the face right at the end of the video :D

On 11/14/2022 at 10:52 PM, NaliSeed said:

Already posted this on moddb, but I'm leaving it here just the same:

I'm still experiencing the wall-torch-fire-moving-with-sectors issue.

The problem seems to be that "fire.bMOVEWITHSECTOR" is set to true; should be false.

I just posted version 3.5.1 fixing this and an issue in PSX CE where enhanced particles would never spawn. It's a pretty minor bugfix that is only relevant for people who use the particle effects that are part of the experimental preset.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:11 PM, molecicco said:

I don't think there's any, but you can see Revenant blasting me in the face right at the end of the video :D

I just posted version 3.5.1 fixing this and an issue in PSX CE where enhanced particles would never spawn. It's a pretty minor bugfix that is only relevant for people who use the particle effects that are part of the experimental preset.

hey molecicco, idk if anyone else is experiencing issues trying to load psx doom 64 CE, but im getting this error loading through the doom 64 CE:

Script error, "PSXDOOM64.pk3:cvarinfo.txt" line 1: cvar 'ce_menufadespeed' already exists

just a heads up. good work as always

7 hours ago, sbw37 said:

hey molecicco, idk if anyone else is experiencing issues trying to load psx doom 64 CE, but im getting this error loading through the doom 64 CE:

Script error, "PSXDOOM64.pk3:cvarinfo.txt" line 1: cvar 'ce_menufadespeed' already exists

just a heads up. good work as always

you’re not supposed to run doom 64 with it, use it with any of the psx dooms instead.