Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter

Not Even Remotely Fair - 32 Maps for DOOM II - Nightmare Difficulty Only - All Original Soundtrack [idgames]

Awesome! Even with just 2 episodes, this was already one of my all-time favorites. I hope this will inspire some people to create more NM WADs. It's really fun when the maps are designed for it.

I was planning to "quickly" power through episode 3, then upload a full NM100S+I playthrough to youtube. I had all the maps from the first two episodes already prepared and ready for editing. But after skimming through everything on ITYTD, it seems you've made a lot of small and some bigger changes to the old maps (and the music for the text intermission screen :( ). My demos are also all desyncing. I guess, I should have expected this. For consistency, I'll have to play and record the entire thing again, and I'm also quite busy at the moment, so this will have to wait.

One thing about map 20: Back when I was routing this, I did notice the area with the SSG and hidden chaingunners is ... pointless? There is another SSG in an easier spot elsewhere, so why would you go deal with the chaingunners and also the wall of HKs you have to break through to get out again? It's not exactly trivial.

Why not add some items to force 100%ers to go there? :o

6 hours ago, besus said:

Are you absolutely sure that these will be the final idgames version? (I can't risk desyncs from future bugfixes/idgames updates)

We are dead sure this is the final final version. It's safe to record demos. We spent a lot of time making sure that this release is perfect.

I just noticed that this spritefix https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/62403-doom-2-minor-sprite-fixing-project-v20-release-updated-112822/?page=30 has an issue in here.

The silver chaingunners (which are SS replacements) have SS's regular sprite in one frame (they flicker between a chaingunner and a nazi). If I don't load the .deh file, there's no issue.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this and make spritefix 100% compatible?

3 hours ago, saturian1 said:

...I don't load the .deh file, there's no issue...

Don't load the spritefix DEH file, it's redundant. NERF already incorporates its own DEH lighting fixes.

what happens if you play in ITYTD or HNTR?

let me guess, cyberdemon to the face.

Posted (edited)

Sorry but MAP06 had a bug which has now been fixed. This fix will break demos just for MAP06. Again, really sorry about this. No other MAP is affected.

I've just updated the google drive ZIP download in the OP with the correct version that's being submitted to idgames. The only difference is the MAP06 fix, and the README using the idgames format.

Edited by Peter

On 12/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, DoomGuy999 said:

what happens if you play in ITYTD or HNTR?

let me guess, cyberdemon to the face.

ITYTD through HMP remove all non-essential monsters, so they're great for learning the overall structure of the maps and figuring out rough routes.

Spoiler

I've also seen one case (MAP07, which relies on some tag 667 quirks to beat normally) where a lift was added to lower difficulties to allow the map to be completed without respawning arachnotrons.

Congrats to all! This is super creative!

Two issues came up in my playthrough:

• MAP12: The switch that in Decino’s Episode 2 playthrough lowers the pillar with the blue key on it does not lower that pillar. It only opens the closet with the cacodemons and health bonuses. As a result I cannot get out of the starting room...

• MAP23: After getting the blue key and taking the lift down, if I stand in the triangular corner, the lift goes back up and I become completely stuck and softlocked in the triangular corner, unable to lower the lift again or to get unstuck from the corner.

I’m running the latest version of GZDoom (v4.11.3) on Mac, fwiw.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 12.54.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 12.54.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 12.53.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 12.53.10 PM.png

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 8:56 PM, Isthmuses said:

I’m running the latest version of GZDoom (v4.11.3) on Mac, fwiw.

GZDoom moment. We put some effort into making sure it worked but it ain't perfect.

EDIT:

Turns out GZDoom 4.11 broke the map physics. It works in GZDoom 4.10. weird bug.

It DOES work in the GZDoom 4.12 dev build though, so use that instead.

Edited by Peter : GZDoom moment

It was an honor to compose for NERF. Thank you for having me, Peter - you and the team did some ludicrously impressive work! :D

Was honestly really intimidated to try this at first what with Nightmare and all, but after taking the plunge it's actually a load of fun. You guys did excellent; congrats on release!

Posted (edited)

Sorry, this very much should be the very last maintenance update.

MAP26 used w1 teleporter lines for exit which could potentially soft lock you. Fixed now.

MAP30 used decorative lamps that ended up floating, replaced with lights made from geo instead.

EDIT II on the 6th of Jan.

Fixed all w1 exit teleporter lines to be wr, should NOT affect Demo Compatibility.

Fixed MAP21 borked REJECT lump causing enemies to see you when they shouldn't be able to. This WILL affect Demo Compatibility unfortunately.

Edited by Peter

Thank you all for tortur... showing me, that Nigthmare! is playable and a ton of fun, when map is prepared for it. I adore how much thought went into small details (tips screen, double ammo messages, cast sequence, difficulty selection text and many more). Combined with usage of all Nigthmare! specific gimmics, teenage humor 

Spoiler

glory hole's crucher and Skibidi Toilet in MAP27 <3

and unmatched music, it all makes NERF a true treasure. 

Sorry for shipping another hotfix but the version that's submitted to idgames is intended to be free from major bugs. I am documenting each hotfix so you know which Demos lose combability. So far it's been MAP06 and MAP21 where hotfixes break demos (did mean I had to record DEMO3 again).

MAP11, linedef 662: in SLADE it's flagged red. Not sure what that means, I'm a cropper not a mapper, but it may indicate something to look into.

10 hours ago, Xymph said:

MAP11, linedef 662: in SLADE it's flagged red. Not sure what that means, I'm a cropper not a mapper, but it may indicate something to look into.

It's because of two overlapping lines. Thankfully it doesn't cause issues so it is not worth fixing.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I've encountered some really weird bug, where I played on Nightmare, but on map14, the exit was full of Arch-Viles like in UV. After dying and re-doing the whole map again, they didn't re-appear.

Played on DSDA-Doom 0.27.5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Peter said:

@unraveler if you can recreate this bug and provide a demo, it would help a lot.

Gonna be tough to do so, I've played with the Easier Mode Patch, with saves, and since it was a blind-run, it took me a little while to figure out how to reach the exit area.

Edit: I started the second episode on UV, approached the location of the Arch-Vile army, and then started it on Nightmare, and the Arch-Vile army had teleported in.

I tried to do the bug again, but it seems to trigger very rarely.

Edited by unraveler

Alrighty, I'll update the Easy Mode Patch to fix this issue.

Alright, I've got a video.

I tried to record an imp file, but it seems impossible to switch skill levels when doing so.

Posted (edited)

I've managed to catch the bug in 2 Imp files, I think I figured it out.

arch_vile_bug.zip

Spoiler

It's seems to be related to these 2 monsters

doom00.png.f2a4f2fe2dfe4d3e4847fd745094885f.png

Edited by unraveler

Thanks.

Spoiler

Sorry to ask, but how did you make sure that Mr. Pinky always win the race?

Your setup, @unraveler, sounds like the one in Decino's Nightmare! analysis video on slow Pinkies. 

Basically fast Pinky is faster than an arch-vile and blocks teleport destination right below their race track; but Pinky is too fat to move there and trigger linedef releasing hundred arch-viles to the exit. You can watch Decino's stream on Sunder MAP20 - it's second part is NERF showcase.

But I'm curious now - how is that related to easier mode WAD and how it can be prevented @Peter?