Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Why does Doomguy have gloves sometimes?

Really this makes the game inconsistent, there is no animation to him removing them while going to use the hand, and also another question, of course doomguy has a suit, but thats in the splash screen and cover art, when you are in the game, its just gloves, ahh id software forgetting what they were doing

he always has gloves but the glove colors change from doom one to doom 2

gloves.png

I wonder why they have black gloves for the doom 1 screens 

the only time he dosent where gloves is the ps1 doom cover but its still weird

Pay attention at the cover art me!, i thought his suit was filling up his hands lol, but that was in eternal, so consistency, what about the hand one, just switch to hand in doom 1

Edited by Frost-Core

20 minutes ago, gwain said:

he always has gloves but the glove colors change from doom one to doom 2

gloves.png

I wonder why they have black gloves for the doom 1 screens 

the only time he dosent where gloves is the ps1 doom cover but its still weird

I think doom 2 gloves are black but get brown because player fires their weapon.
Image:

Spoiler

unknown.png
Pardon for copying the image, I'm quite lazy to find the box art.

31 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

He quickly takes the gloves off, that’s what the half-second weapon lowering is giving him time for. After all he can run 57mph for extended periods - quickly slipping off a glove is something even I can do!

i'd like to think he switched from space gardening gloves to combat gloves at the start of e1m1 when he saw the player corpse

does anybody know why the Doom II doom guy in the cover and title screen splash has like weird hair and different colors for doomguy?

It wouldn’t make sense to wear gloves with the brass knuckles. He likely can’t fit his fingers through it with the gloves on. He likely wears them when using the rest of his arsenal because it helps keep a solid grip on the rest of the weapons. He’s in a pretty rough situation after all. He doesn’t need to worry about his sweaty hands getting slippery and having trouble controlling his weapons, but the brass knuckles need to be held onto like one would make a fist, so they aren’t going to slip out. 

As for different colors between title screen… there’s no deep meaning as to why. It’s just the choice of the artist who drew the images. 

9 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

does anybody know why the Doom II doom guy in the cover and title screen splash has like weird hair and different colors for doomguy?

the doom 2 cover and the ps1 cover share hair styles

moot.png

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

Really this makes the game inconsistent, there is no animation to him removing them while going to use the hand, and also another question, of course doomguy has a suit, but thats in the splash screen and cover art, when you are in the game, its just gloves, ahh id software forgetting what they were doing

Its technical limitations.

But i am sure John Carmack or even John Romero forgot something. Just not this.

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

Pay attention me!, i thought his suit was filling up his hands lol, but that was in eternal, so consistency, what about the hand one, just switch to hand in doom 1

???

2 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

I liked to think that the original Doom 1 cover marines were two of the unlucky dudes who went ahead of Doomguy while he waited at the perimeter of the Phobos base.

13 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

I wouldn't want to touch a cacodemon without wearing a full body armor...including forearm greaves...

Then the PS1 Cover For DOOM does not make sense, if they put a caco there

Huh? Doomguy wears no gloves, that's just his skin, which tends to form folded flaps around the wrists, he just pulls his loose skin up when wearing his spiked brass knuckles so punching doesn't look and feel akward and gross.

In game ending screens and cover art proves nothing because everyone knows they're inconsistent and unreliable.

Comparing 90's box art to the actual game.. Yeah, I don't think Doom was overly bad in this department, looking at you Operation: Bodycount.

Seriously, back then it was oddly rare for games to resemble the box art as strongly as Doom does. I remember citing it as an example of one of the few accurate game covers back when I was in school, because covers that genuinely resembled the game/gameplay were the minority at the time.

I remember seeing some of those basic dime-store puzzle games for NES and SNES with extremely over-the-top 80s action movie posters for box art, and the games were just.. sub-Pong levels of entertainment. I don’t know how the industry got away with it as long as they did, honestly.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Seriously, back then it was oddly rare for games to resemble the box art as strongly as Doom does. I remember citing it as an example of one of the few accurate game covers back when I was in school, because covers that genuinely resembled the game/gameplay were the minority at the time.

I remember seeing some of those basic dime-store puzzle games for NES and SNES with extremely over-the-top 80s action movie posters for box art, and the games were just.. sub-Pong levels of entertainment. I don’t know how the industry got away with it as long as they did, honestly.

capitalism...or in other words, people never realized they could vote with a wallet before doom

Guys, look at the DOOM 1 Cover, it has a black glove, but in the game you have a leather colored glove

Well DOOM II Solved that issue, but still doomguy looks different

3 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

Guys, look at the DOOM 1 Cover, it has a black glove, but in the game you have a leather colored glove

Why does this mattee so much?

You can also argue that DoomGuy's shotgun handling would incapitate him at the first shot because of how it looks.

So? 

You should notify id software of that issue so they can solve it. Better late than never!

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

You should notify id software of that issue so they can solve it. Better late than never!

Imagine if that's the one update they made to the game some ~30 years later. Just changing the color of the gloves on the box art.

You'd wear them too if you saw how much {REDACTED} all those Pinkies make. It really piles up!