Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Favorite shooter after 2000?

I have a lot of fond memories with Unreal Tournament 2004. It was a fun shooter with cool maps and I liked how you could name your team and choose your teammates in the campaign. Whilst not as good as UT99, it was still a lot of fun, and I have so many awesome memories when I would play UT2004 with my voice team back in 2012/2013. So probably UT2004 is on the top of favorite after 2000 shooter.

This is really tough, but if I had to condense it into my top 3 then it would be:

The Darkness 1

FEAR

Bioshock

Bonus would be Halo 3 because the sheer amount of hours and memories in that game.

The FPS sections in Banjo-Tooie

Nah but seriously I'm a sucker for Halo 2

Really it was Unreal Tournament 2004, but I also put a load of time into:

Counter Strike Source

Day of Defeat Source 

Half Life 2 plus Ep.1 and ep.2

Far Cry 

Doom 3

Halo:CE, II and III

Battlefield Vietnam 

Bioshock

Call of Duty II and Modern Warfare 

Recently played through Modern Warfare II for the first time in forever. Despite the frustrating brevity of the campaign and the linear gameplay, I still found it tense and engaging. 

Halo Combat Evolved

Serious Sam Franchise

Quake 4

Unreal Tournament Franchise

The Throwback Shooters in recent times

Overload

And outside of FPS, I play obscure indie games barely anyone talks about off of MSN Gaming Zone, Reflexive Arcade, etc.

Probably would choose Team Fortress 2 just because I've played it so much, but to save giving the same answer as 15 or so people in this thread, my pick is Insurgency.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:38 PM, Hawk of The Crystals said:

The 2000's Era.

=======================================

1. Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)

2. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)

3. DOOM3 (2004)

4. Counter Strike: Source (2004)

5. Half-Life 2 (2004)

6. Left 4 Dead (2008)

7. Postal 2 (2003)

8. Team Fortress 2 (2007)

9. Aliens VS. Predator Classic (2000)

10. Day of Defeat (2003)

11. Portal (2007)

12. Resident Evil 5 (2009)

13. Serious Sam 2 (2005)

14. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002)

15. Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001)

16. Half-Life: Blue Shift (2001)

17. Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (2004)

18. Call Of Duty: World At War (2008)

Most of these games accompanied me throughout middle and high-school. Halo CE and AVP:Classic is the only game on here besides HL:BS and the Serious Sam Duology that I didn't play until more recently.

=====================================================

Bonus 2010's Era.

1. DOOM3: BFG Edition (2012)

2. Insurgency (2014)

3. Fallout: New Vegas (2010) (I don't consider Fallout NV as an RPG)

4. Postal Redux (2016)

5. Serious Sam 3: BFE (2011)

6. Day of Defeat: Source (2010)

7. DOOM (2016) (Basic bitch answer I know)

8. Call Of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

That's all folks!

no way! those are mine too!

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl (better experiences with mods)

STALKER - Clear Sky with four years of modding, Merging and Scripting (thanks to Borovos, CrommCruac and Vandrerer)

STALKER - Call of Pripyat (only with mods)

Metro 2033

Metro: Last Light

Metro Exodus

Black Mesa

Half-Life²

Portal

Portal 2

Half-Life: Alyx

BioShock

Prey 2017

F.E.A.R.

Crysis Warhead

SOMA

DOOM 2016

DOOM Eternal

DOOM 3

Titanfall 2

OG Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3.

CoD 3, CoD 4 MW, *CoD WaW, CoD Black ops 1, 2, 3 and cold war (soon to be BO6)

*Note: I do love the multiplayer but Zombies is where i really thrive and i almost became a zombie youtuber / map maker.

Quake the remastered

Doom 64 the remastered

Turok 1 (remastered is a fucking god send for those whom has played it on the N64 back in the day)

Turok 2 remastered.

Area 51 on the OG Xbox

Gears of War 1 (i played 2 and 3 years later on game pass)

BioShock 1 and Infinite

Army of Two: The devils cartel

Sniper Elite V2, 3 and 4 (never played 5)

Far Cry 3 and 4 (haven't played 5 or 6)

The Division 1 and 2 (i was gifted Division 2 from a former friend of mine)

There's more but i don't want to make the list any longer then it is.

prey is good (the shooting is boring, i just like it as a sim, i just needed to name a game lol)

maps are a big draw for me so i think a fair few modern shooters are offputting, since;

big budget ones ferry you round the map to see the next set piece
revivalist stuff tends to look very quake-ish but kick out a lot of the dungeon feel in favor of arenas and arenas have been done to death

Back in the early-mid 2000s when I was a student, I played a lot of Will Rock (2003).

I was not familiar with Serious Sam then, because frankly, I did not play a lot of games at all, and most of my FPS games were mid-90s stuff like Duke Nukem 3D. I was not eager to check out something newer because I had this aversion of polygonal models for enemies. Will Rock changed that.

I had this demo that came on a magazine coverdisk, fired it up because I did not have much else new to try, and got hooked. Maybe it's the Ancient Grome setting, because I liked Greek myths and stuff since I was a child. Or the character animations that were really good for the time. Either way, I breezed through the demo and craved more, and obtained the full version at the first opportunity. Played it through first on medium, then on hard, and then I had another playthrough some years later when I was finishing my thesis.

It's a shame this game is not available for purchase nowadays. It's a lot more than just a Serious Sam clone in a Greek/Roman setting. Although that alone makes it quite worthwhile, since the scenery was often created with references to actual historical sites. It has a very decent arsenal and monster roster, varied settings and quite good pacing, balancing exploration and combat. It's not the kind of game where you will meticulously hunt for secret areas, everything is fairly straightforward, but the scenery is very nice, the music soothing, and the combat encounters quite fun.

Come on, not a single mention of Red Faction here? It's a Half-Like I actually enjoy to an extent. Snappy weapons, various vehicles of various terrains, destructible sceneries, what's not to like more than a half of it?

Already mentioned, Aliens vs Predator (2000) and its sequel were good fun!

Although released in 2000, Perfect Dark is a great game too.

I will exclude shooters released in 2016 and after because there's way too many good ones!

I really like Half Life 2. Its engine was ahead of its time(2004), and very influential, both for game devs and indie animators.

Do neo-retro boomer shooters count for the intents and purposes of this thread?

If so, I nominate REKKR?

If not, I have no comment, since I have next to no knowledge of this era of FPS's beyond whatever I read from others here and I have no skin in this game.

Half-Life 2

Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

F.E.A.R

Day of Defeat

Postal 2

Counter-Strike 1.6

Probably Half Life 2. It's diverse, movement feels just right, map editor comes right with the base game (at least now), music is great and quite underrated, not too much people think of it when talking about game OSTs

To me:

Bioshock 2

Unreal Tournament 2004

Doom 2016

Wolfenstein The New Order

Posted (edited)

5e5a88babaa08.jpg?format=webp&width=961&

Perhaps Counter-Strike : Condition Zero. It's one of the least popular games of the saga but I litterally spent hundred hours playing the Tours of Duty mode and plenty custom mission packs. I'm still enjoying this mode just as much, even though the expert/elite bots tend to kick my arse very hard

Edited by Roofi

I honestly can't think of a single one, they're all so shallow... but I guess gmod? I've made a few maps in it so it's probably the post 2000 shooter game I've had the most enjoyment out of but that's only from my creations within it. It feels like such a bad answer since surely there has to be 1 good game in the genre for me to justify me making mods and art within the genre right? There has got to be a shooter game that I can truly say intellectually stimulated me and was truly *art*, I've enjoyed shooter games like Metroid prime and Entropy Zero 2 but nothing has ever struck me as art like say isometric games or rpgs.The original Deus ex almost fits the bill but I never really finished it and overall its better than most games but its still a little shallow.

Borderlands 2 and TPS were super fun times, especially with a group. Never played the other games of the franchise but I've very fond memories of those two. Highlights go to playing as claptrap: spent half the time firing entire clips in fractions of a second, half the time running into battle like a mad interplanetary ninja chatterbox punching everything to death, and half the time being left hanging on high fives! Truly the most doom-like experience of modern shooters 🙃