Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fierce111

How do i get mp3 files to work?

Question

I'm working on a doom map and I wanted to put doom 64 music in it, I downloaded this music and opened up Slade, named it d_runnin etc. Then I load up the wad and it plays a loud beep and then doesn't play the music I wanted, how to fix?

20 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, Fierce111 said:

Here you go.

ESCAPE.zip

What you have is not an MP3, but an MP4A which uses an AAC codec. This is not supported (as it is a licensed codec) and its format is likely being misinterpreted which is causing the noise.

10 minutes ago, Fierce111 said:

What format should I use?

What is your target port? For maximum compatibility, you can only use MIDIs. Most modern Boom supporting engines allow for OGG as a typical streaming format, and some more advanced ports (i.e Eternity and ZDoom) can use various tracker formats.

Addendums:

• Despite being able to read OGGs externally, Chocolate Doom cannot read them inside of a WAD file. It can only accept MIDIs natively.
  • While Doom64's music is MIDI in the 2020 remaster, it is not capable of being used outside of Doom64 as it requires use of it's own purpose built soundfont.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

What is your target port? For maximum compatibility, you can only use MIDIs. Most modern Boom supporting engines allow for OGG as a typical streaming format, and some more advanced ports allow for various tracker formats.

I use Lzdoom mainly, but probably modern source ports in general

1 minute ago, Fierce111 said:

I use Lzdoom mainly, but probably modern source ports in general

Then you have likely done something wrong with the import process. LZDoom does support MP3, so if it's just producing noise then there's something wrong with the data.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Then you have likely done something wrong with the import process. LZDoom does support MP3, so if it's just producing noise then there's something wrong with the data.

I'll be trying to find some way to fix this, all I did was import the music into the wad and renamed it d_runnin like usual, don't know what could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

• While Doom64's music is MIDI in the 2020 remaster, it is not capable of being used outside of Doom64 as it requires use of it's own purpose built soundfont.

Well I ripped it straight from YouTube lol.

Perhaps post the WAD file to be inspected. It might not be clear what you're doing wrong without a second pair of eyes on it.

39 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Perhaps post the WAD file to be inspected. It might not be clear what you're doing wrong without a second pair of eyes on it.

Here you go.

ESCAPE.zip

42 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

What you have is not an MP3, but an MP4A which uses an AAC codec. This is not supported (as it is a licensed codec) and its format is likely being misinterpreted which is causing the noise.

Ohh, I'll try converting it later.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Thank you SO much you are a lifesaver!! It finally worked!

Fair warning: Using licenced music in wad files without owners permission is frowned upon, and also in some countries, straight out illegal. Even if it is a game soundtrack. It also may cause some youtubers, who also stream pr shoot a footage of gameplay of published maps, to have a need to mute the map or refrain from redistribution to avoid legal action. 

Addendum to Icarus' warning; Doom 64's music is copyrighted, you need to ask permission from the Doom 64 composer (Aubrey Hodges), or else your map will be considered illegal. (I'm pretty sure you can't ask Midway Games since that company was defunct).

3 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

(I'm pretty sure you can't ask Midway Games since that company was defunct).

Apparently the rights to the game reverted to id Software, otherwise we wouldn't have seen the Nightdive/id/Bethesda re-release of the game in 2020.

53 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Addendum to Icarus' warning; Doom 64's music is copyrighted, you need to ask permission from the Doom 64 composer (Aubrey Hodges), or else your map will be considered illegal.

While the levels have always been off limits, we have a history in the community of reusing the occasional music track between Doom & Doom2. Not that it's my call at all (do not consider my viewpoint to be an official stance), but as long as it's still true for Doom1&2, frankly with Doom64 finally having an accessible IWAD I'd consider it fair to have to same leniency. Though as long as it comes from the IWAD, Aubrey Hodges remastered versions would not count.

Aubrey could a different opinion on the matter, you should listen to them if they give one. And the /idgames archive maintainers might see it differently as well so worth asking them too.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:35 PM, Hitboi said:

Addendum to Icarus' warning; Doom 64's music is copyrighted, you need to ask permission from the Doom 64 composer (Aubrey Hodges), or else your map will be considered illegal. (I'm pretty sure you can't ask Midway Games since that company was defunct).

Thats unfortunate, well I don't wanna risk any copyright problems so I guess ill just try finding free to use stuff. 

12 hours ago, Fierce111 said:

Thats unfortunate, well I don't wanna risk any copyright problems so I guess ill just try finding free to use stuff. 

It's as simple as asking, but since you don't want to face any problem you can listen to Edward850's post, I agree with them on the leniency of reusing the Doom 64 music through it's IWAD. Also, I think there are SC-55 MIDI versions of Doom 64 music that exist.

1 hour ago, Hitboi said:

Also, I think there are SC-55 MIDI versions of Doom 64 music that exist.

The sc-55 isn't even able to come close to being able to reproduce Doom64s music. It requires some very irregular instruments, a baby crying for example. You ain't getting that out of standard midi cards.

Also, FWIW, MIDI versions of songs are sort of "illegal" in their own right. Not that anyone cares. If you aren't selling your mod and/or it isn't Earth-shatteringly popular (popular enough to be covered by a bunch of gaming articles), you have 0 to worry about. Even then I've seen mods that were a copyright-infringement-stew get pretty big and still no one batted an eye.

TL;DR use the music and give credit, that's all you need to worry about.