Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silhouette 03

HOMs in map

Hello, I seem to be having these weird HOMs in my map in certain areas.  Here are the areas in question:

Spoiler

B48MyQM.png

Spoiler

ss7qVuL.png

Spoiler

7pddt4w.png

here is the map, and here is the resource pack.

Hopefully I've given enough information. If I haven't, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Silent Wolf

I don't quite understand the issue. HOMs are a result of missing texures/flats. So what is the problem here? Can't you identify the linedefs in question?

I assume this mod is for Doom 2, but in what mapping format? Is this Boom compatible, or vanilla, or UDMF?

6 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I assume this mod is for Doom 2, but in what mapping format? Is this Boom compatible, or vanilla, or UDMF?

Boom Format. Sorry, I completely forgot about that.

Well, i looked at the map in UDB; found a few missing textures, but I'm afraid i can't find any of the locations shown in the screenshots. Where exactly are they supposed to be?

Are u sure you posted the right map?

Well, i looked quite thoroughly but i couldn't find any of the locations u specified. Which rooms is the second for instance supposed to be in?

Anyways, i found these two.

42548116_Darkzonemap(editarea)at2022_09.0116-36-27.057R3925.jpg.7b12798b63a145af4e4f21870b54360a.jpg419327502_Darkzonemap(editarea)at2022_09.0116-36-57.611R3925.jpg.a2727e8d0c8925f5c2c84db7e1682865.jpg

There are certainly missing textures which result in HOMs, as seen in the below screenshots. However they aren't entirely within the locations specified in your screenshots.

5d5dcfe19f4adbc700ad4db5b8bdabf1.jpg

de8fbc62f902180dbc8cd7b8af7a6caf.png

What port are you testing with, and is the version of the map the screenshots were taken on different in any way from the version linked in the OP? 

Also there seem to be palette issues with the flat named "DEMGOTH", also visible in the above screenshot.

I'm definitely puzzled by this. Some textures on the flats clearly have errors when tested in something like GZDoom, but they looked fine in GLBoom. It looks to be some sort of palette error.

Otherwise though, I'm not seeing any of the HOM you are. To be sure, there are a few missing textures.

That said, we also seem to have a different version of the map than you do. The one you linked has no Things in it other than a P1 start, but your screenshots show some pickups. I can't even find the areas in your map that you took shots of.

EDIT: You need to clean up your assets WAD, it has the stock IWAD sprites in it. If you plan to upload it to idgames, it will be rejected immediately on that basis. This is easy enough to fix via something like SLADE (Archive > Maintanence > Remove Entries Duplicated from IWAD).

Edited by Dark Pulse

3 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

@Dark PulseI've updated the OP with another download. I may have added an outdated google drive link. Hopefully this works now.

It's still the same file.

Just now, Silent Wolf said:

Please excuse the missing textures.

Would the missing textures not be the entire cause of this issue?

Just now, Dragonfly said:

Would the missing textures not be the entire cause of this issue?

No, even with the resource pack loaded through UDB when I test the map I still get this issue.

Well, I found one of your areas, but that had no HOM in GZDoom. Checked GLBoom as well and still no error.

At this point I'd say it's either localized to your system, your port of choice, or else the BSP builder you're using. I don't really have any other explanation. I thought maybe you were overflowing on Drawsegs but you're way in the clear for that.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well, I found one of your areas, but that had no HOM in GZDoom. Checked GLBoom as well and still no error.

I'm testing it through GZDoom 4.8.2 and I'm getting the error. I'm not really sure what to do now.

6 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

I'm testing it through GZDoom 4.8.2 and I'm getting the error. I'm not really sure what to do now.

Mine is 4.8.2 as well, so it's not that.

Here's one of the areas you shot. I simply do not have the error. I even tried changing to the software renderers in case it was that - nope.

ClcT0o8.png

Only thing I can think of is the BSP builder you are using, or something with your system. What BSP builder are you using, and what GPU do you have?

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Here's one of the areas you shot. I simply do not have the error. I even tried changing to the software renderers in case it was that - nope.

Have you tried pressing the switch, pressing the second switch behind you, which lowers the walls around the first switch, which triggers the HOM?

The problem is that when the line action 233 is triggered via the nearby switch to lower the tagged sector (tag 2), it also lowers the ceiling along with it, keeping the gap between ceiling and floor constant (24 units). I don't know if that's intentional since the lowered ceiling will block the player from entering the newly opened sector.

The linedefs in question lack upper textures but in their default position these areas aren't exposed aka visible from the playfield, which is why UDB doesn't flag them as missing.

1 minute ago, Gregor said:

The problem is that when the line action 233 is triggered via the nearby switch to lower the tagged sector (tag 2), it also lowers the ceiling along with it, keeping the gap between ceiling and floor constant (24 units). I don't know if that's intentional since the lowered ceiling will block the player from entering the newly opened sector.

It wasn't intentional. Do you know how I can stop this from happening?

5 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

Have you tried pressing the switch, pressing the second switch behind you, which lowers the walls around the first switch, which triggers the HOM?

I hadn't, admittedly, but when I did that, the walls simply did not lower.

It does seem properly set up in UDB though.

9 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I hadn't, admittedly, but when I did that, the walls simply did not lower.

I'm really unsure of what is going on now. Any ideas?

Edited by Silent Wolf

5 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

I'm really unsure of what is going on now. Any ideas?

I'm honestly puzzled. All the floors immediately next to it have a floor of 120, so it should lower to that, or if it is counting the place it's attached to by a vertex, 160 at least.

It should be lowering. Why the hell isn't it?

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

I'm honestly puzzled. All the floors immediately next to it have a floor of 120, so it should lower to that, or if it is counting the place it's attached to by a vertex, 160 at least.

It should be lowering. Why the hell isn't it?

I just checked, and it seems to be lowering with Doom(strict) compatibility mode, not Boom. 

I'll take a look at it in default comp mode. but i remember this issue from one of my abandoned maps. Will doublecheck if it's the case.

Edit:@Silent Wolf

I can not confirm my theory, but this all points to UDB or GZDoom borking resource load order and getting messed up. Click on "Reload resources", it should fix it. If not, remove all resource files on the format in UDB configuration, close it. Then open the UDB, reload only the resources you use for this map, and then open the map. It should fix the issue.

I tested with GZDoom 4.7.1 (Default comp mode) and DSDA doom (Complevel 9). Besides the exit not working on both of them, everything else was working as intended. I did not discover any HoM effects.

I remember having strange HoM effects when I used multiple resources and the game got confused. 

Another thing I remember having HoM effects was when I had a bunch of monsters and corpses in very long hallway, causing it to glitch out. 
both of which don't get triggered when I test this map. So my theories are both a bust.

The only other option left is resources not loading correctly. I also had this happen a few times. Sometimes GZDoom/Doombuilder just borks on loading them for testing without any error messages. Only way to fix it is to manually reload the resource files, since pressing the "reload resources" button does not always work.

If resource reloading does not work, i'm also bamboozled

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers