Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
7x47

Bits of doom that are scary?

34 minutes ago, unerxai said:

The scariest moment was meeting a Demon for the first time in the E1M4 blue door maze (easy difficulty). Hearing the sounds was terryfing to the point I'd close the game.

After a certain age (around 9 or so) I stopped being scared by games, with the exception of System Shock 2.

I remember when I play Doom 1 for the first time too, E1M5 is when I first met it. I was a little shaky as it was a lot bigger.

Anyways, I shot it.

Can still remember clear to this day jumping in my seat when I opened the exit door in E3M4 and there was a cacodemon right in my face.  And also one time I nearly beat map08 but got creamed in the white room with all the imps and the barons, and realised I was like hyperventilating.  Good times.  

And I'm disappointed nobody has yet talked about how scary the first time one encountered the 'ouch' face was.

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

And I'm disappointed nobody has yet talked about how scary the first time one encountered the 'ouch' face was.

For me it's the opposite. I remember encountering it when I tried rocket jumping in the beginning area of MAP09: The Pit. It's the moment I saw Doomguy's 1-19% ouch face that made my brain always dictate them as peak Classic Doom comedy and I always burst in laughter whenever I see any kind of ouch face(s).

12 hours ago, unerxai said:

The scariest moment was meeting a Demon for the first time in the E1M4 blue door maze (easy difficulty). Hearing the sounds was terryfing to the point I'd close the game.

This was the same moment for me. I didn’t know how to run or strafe and of course just wasn’t as good at the game, and suddenly coming face to face with a big ugly fast bull demon in this maze made me panic-rocket the beast (and myself) to death. I still remember sitting there collecting myself as I watched the red on the screen fade. Funny to think now how terrifying a simple pinky used to be.

I have many early memories of revenants emerging from the shadows, or their cries coming closer in unseen halls, scaring me. Oddly enough I don’t have any such distinct memories of archviles doing the same thing.

I’ve told the story here many times but the opening to House of Pain, with the twitchy corpse and dried fleshy blood channels and tortured bodies on the walls, is where I stopped playing as a 6-year-old kid and had nightmares for days. I still think playing on -nomonsters made the game feel oddly more desolate and isolating, and definitely made environmental deaths a lot more sudden and mortifying.

First few days i played DOOM on a friend's PC, i used keyboard only and didn't know how to strafe. Which made the game much more difficult and, consequently, scarier. With this context, the Cyberdemon fight was the scariest thing in videogames for my 13 year old self. 1 hit kill, impossible to dodge rockets and that THUMB, THUMB you hear as he gets closer to you. I remember this causing some panic to me, lol.

In DOOM64 there is a certain texture of a demonic face that has an animation. Once in a while, it will open it's eyes and change it's expression a bit. So i was exploring a mostly empty map after i killed all monsters, trying to find a secret. I was pretty relaxed, running around aimlessly. Now this texture is in the middle of an empty wall and i had already tried to activate it. But you know how it is when you can't find a secret, sometimes you repeat things for no reason. So i go to the texture, zoom in on it, the thing takes almost the whole screen and boom, it opens it's eyes and mouth.

I was genuinely scared for a moment. Not startled like a jump scare but properly spooked. I wasn't expecting it since it's not like other textures do that.

This sneaky wanker here:

1724539034_doom64animationlarge.gif.7e773cbbb838e4807066789ec3156069.gif

The map "LV-31" from Death's Dichotomy is pretty scary as far as Doom WADs go. Obviously it enhances the experience more if you play it with the Beautiful Doom mod, which enhances the Doom gameplay experience pretty much all around, but especially more for atmospheric maps