Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xScavengerWolfx

What is Signal 11 in DSDA doom?

Question

So after watching Sandwadge play through my solo E1 map set Abandon: Shadows of darkness, i wanted to see if it will run in DSDA Doom. I did have a title card but that kept crashing it, so i removed the title card and tried again.

When i tried again i got some kind of error about signal 11. I have no idea what signal 11 is since i don't use DSDA as a main source port for play testing maps of mine or anyone else's.

I'm only asking because i want to make it compatible with DSDA and other source ports like it.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix and all i have to do is change something that won't be a major pain to deal with. Thanks in advance.  

What is this question mark.jpg

12 answers to this question

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV, meaning an illegal memory address access, such as trying to read/write a null pointer.

The exact problem is unknown without debugging the program itself, or simply process of elimination on your own behalf. Generally speaking it means you aren't following Vanilla or Boom specs properly in your map or assets.

Edited by Edward850

Signal 11 is a generic name on Linux and other Unix-like systems for an error caused by a program attempting to access memory that doesn't belong to it.

Most likely cause would be that one of the lumps in your .wad file is malformed and causes this problem when the game tries to read it; but that's about all one can tell from your screenshot.

This could be anything, but the crash "handler' that is active here just decided to print the minimally useless info. Yeah, good luck finding the cause, there's nothing to go by here.

TBH, intercepting a signal and then printing this is magnitudes worse than letting the crash just happen. In that case, at least anyone with an installed debugger could have a look.

Signal 11 could be anything, really. The "0x0083" narrows it down somewhat by giving a context of where it occurred, but it could still be anything within the R_DrawPlanes call.

15 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Sorry for the long replay to everyone but i did fix it and it was the custom sky boxes, the M_DOOM logo, ENDOOM and the i can't remember it now but i got it fixed and now when the new update comes out for the wad it will be available for DSDA Doom in April. 

I did read all the comments and i did try them but when sliver miner said it something with the PNG(s) i removed them and it fixed itself. So now i need to find someone who can do custom sky boxes and all that dehacking stuff because i ain't good with that kind of stuff.

Anyways thank you all for helping me out with this issue, now i can play test it in DSDA Doom and see what issues the wad has in that source port.

For graphics you could just right-click and have them converted to doom GFX in slade.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

TBH, intercepting a signal and then printing this is magnitudes worse than letting the crash just happen. In that case, at least anyone with an installed debugger could have a look.

The reason for this in PrBoom+ was to save an unfinished demo.

If you try to run a map which was built with wall textures use as flats, or unknown flats, or textures which are not properly in Doom graphic format, this kind of thing can happen. Use the Check Map utility and see if you spot any problems.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:43 AM, Stabbey said:

If you try to run a map which was built with wall textures use as flats, or unknown flats, or textures which are not properly in Doom graphic format, this kind of thing can happen.

Among so many other things, "A third piece of the puzzle has been solved." is a more helpful statement than vaguely declaring a barely specified illegal memory access.

I can only suggest to OP to look and see if marker lumps are in order, that nothing is fucky with the textures lump, and that the naming for map lumps are appropriate. That's in addition to checking maps to see if there's any incorrectly assigned textures and stuff.

Sorry for the long replay to everyone but i did fix it and it was the custom sky boxes, the M_DOOM logo, ENDOOM and the i can't remember it now but i got it fixed and now when the new update comes out for the wad it will be available for DSDA Doom in April. 

I did read all the comments and i did try them but when sliver miner said it something with the PNG(s) i removed them and it fixed itself. So now i need to find someone who can do custom sky boxes and all that dehacking stuff because i ain't good with that kind of stuff.

Anyways thank you all for helping me out with this issue, now i can play test it in DSDA Doom and see what issues the wad has in that source port.

6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

For graphics you could just right-click and have them converted to doom GFX in slade.

Well damn, looks like i got more work to do then lol. Thanks for letting me know that