Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorcav

[CP] [DSDA CL2] Super Doom TV - [RC1]

1 hour ago, Lorcav said:

Haven't played this updated version, but one of the notes I had on your previous version was to maybe add a small amount of navigation to help players find each wing. Probably doesn't need to be much, maybe even just a coloured indicator at the start of each path because that'll stand out against the general texturing of the whole area.

something like this should work fine ? i thought it wasnt exactly necessary because i tried to be pretty unique with the structuring for each wing and also you can see what key is where (although that is pretty much only on higher resolutions and still only barely i will agree)

Spoiler

doom109.png.4543b95a7180b847140f9bb30f68eec9.pngdoom110.png.ea125dcb1299b89fe0d68ccb896b780f.pngdoom111.png.8a8671dd89ec921567d467f5706a0abc.png

2 minutes ago, signaturereverie said:

something like this should work fine ?

Yep, I think that's all it needs.

1 hour ago, Firedust said:

Did maps 31 and 32 get removed? :O

There are two secret maps still, marked with (S) in the OP

On 8/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, Lorcav said:

Reveal hidden contents

The second half of the rocket launcher fight, once the doors open, I just couldn't get enough space to move around. Which I accept might be a skill thing on my part. But the room with the crate of archviles and the cyber at the other end, I tried everything and just couldn't make it work, it just seemed undoable to me. But, again, that could just be a skill deficiency on my part.

Spoiler

The Rocket fight after the walls lower is a bit too chaotic, I will admit. I do have an idea on how to change up that fight for version 2.

The Red line fight (with the locked up Archviles) in my opinion is alright difficulty wise. I usually had enough rockets and plasma to prevent the monsters from crossing the red line. I guess I could lower the timer for the Archviles to disappear (or maybe I could create a visual indicator to tell the player that the Archviles are being teleported away).

There are some other fights that I might change up, but I'm still thinking about it.

Also, I did a very quick run through some of the early maps and I found a fault in Map 11:

Spoiler

This small gap can't be passed. If you fall in the pit on that specific side - you are stuck.

woof0000.png.f09e17fe61b69143176031182397c2a0.png

4 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Also, I did a very quick run through some of the early maps and I found a fault in Map 11:

Reveal hidden contents

This small gap can't be passed. If you fall in the pit on that specific side - you are stuck.

woof0000.png.f09e17fe61b69143176031182397c2a0.png

Crap! I'm terribly sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out.

fixed version-

pumh-update2.zip

Found a missing texture in MAP02

Other than that, I'm liking these maps. Makes me want to finish my map more.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 225934.png

Just started playing through the alpha wad, I noticed level2 exit warps you too level 4 and skips level 3.  I did an idclev03 after map 2 to reset and started a completely different map to what I warped too.  Idk if map03 is in the rotation somewhere wrong in mapinfo or not at all. 

edit:  Finished map03 and it sent me to map06

edit: I think the order in the OP is still the correct one after looking and playing, just in my save slot it says the wrong map number

Edited by Treehouseminis

12 hours ago, Treehouseminis said:

edit: I think the order in the OP is still the correct one after looking and playing, just in my save slot it says the wrong map number

I had the same thing happen on my end playing it in DSDA. Haven't finished the wad yet because I got caught up with college and stuff, but I'll try to get through as much as I can next chance I get.

On 8/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, Ar_e_en said:

@Treehouseminis @Emperor S P O O N

If you ever get to Map 13 (Studio Scramble) - can you give me some feedback on the difficulty of the fights? I am currently pondering  some changes for the 2nd version of the map.

I played it I think half way so far.  The fights are frustrating but fair I think.  I felt the one in the silver area where its slowly teleporting imps then HK, then the sides open, could possibly use a soul sphere to start, but I was on UV. I got pretty upset at this vile fight but realized the gimmick and then I liked it.  I wish things could be better explained to the player but idk how I would do it.  It was just trial and error lol.  

Because I'm making dinner and getting mad at getting killed by a cyber demon too many times I'm taking a break lol

Edit: @Ar_e_en ok finished it. I Thought it was half way done but there was one fight afterwards.  I missed quite a few kills, i assume theyre in the secrets.  I thought i was clever by finding 3 secrets to only look at the automap stats and theres way more lol.  Oddly the last fight was one of the easier ones lol.  I kept expectng more enemies to pop in but the cybers were left and the exit opened so yeah. 

Probably one of my favorites so far.  Great themes and visuals.  Fights are interesting.

Edited by Treehouseminis

On 8/31/2023 at 4:13 AM, Treehouseminis said:

I played it I think half way so far.  The fights are frustrating but fair I think.  I felt the one in the silver area where its slowly teleporting imps then HK, then the sides open, could possibly use a soul sphere to start, but I was on UV. I got pretty upset at this vile fight but realized the gimmick and then I liked it.  I wish things could be better explained to the player but idk how I would do it.  It was just trial and error lol.  

I do have some gameplay changes for the silver area with the lowering sides in my mind, so that fight will be slightly different in version 2. As for the "Vile fight" - there is a hint at the start of that area (the blue cube will lower if you pass over the blue line, which signifies that the red wall keeping the Archviles at bay will lower if someone crosses over the red line near the lava). One thing that I will change with that fight - I will create a visual signal to tell you the moment when it is safe to run into the Archvile cage.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:13 AM, Treehouseminis said:

Edit: @Ar_e_en ok finished it. I Thought it was half way done but there was one fight afterwards.  I missed quite a few kills, i assume theyre in the secrets.  I thought i was clever by finding 3 secrets to only look at the automap stats and theres way more lol.  Oddly the last fight was one of the easier ones lol.  I kept expectng more enemies to pop in but the cybers were left and the exit opened so yeah. 

Probably one of my favorites so far.  Great themes and visuals.  Fights are interesting.

The final fight is meant to be really easy, basically - you got through all the trials and here is a wide open arena filled with rocket ammo and invulnerabilities - knock yourself out!

Spoiler

However - if you find all 3 secret keys - you can unlock a BFG before the Archvile cage fight - making both final fights a lot easier!

The funny thing about the secrets - my original map slot was 15 and my prompt was centered around the concept of secret rooms. My goal making the map was to cram as many secret areas in the map as I could. In the end - I got 15 secret areas! That number was unintentional!

On 8/29/2023 at 1:18 AM, Treehouseminis said:

Just started playing through the alpha wad, I noticed level2 exit warps you too level 4 and skips level 3.  I did an idclev03 after map 2 to reset and started a completely different map to what I warped too.  Idk if map03 is in the rotation somewhere wrong in mapinfo or not at all. 

edit:  Finished map03 and it sent me to map06

Yeah, I got into a bit of a thing with the map order, even going as far as to mask it on the map screen with sector numbers. 

There were some difficulty changes from the original order, usually to move harder maps a bit later in the order, which is mostly personal taste.

When testing everything ran together OK, all maps there and the two secrets after MAP15 but if there are any issues, let me know!

Did a run on ITYTD and discovered an unpegged texture and an empty secret, so added those to the fixes for the next iteration

On 9/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Ar_e_en said:

I think I might start working on version 2 of my map. I got some ideas!

How long do you think you need?

6 hours ago, Lorcav said:

How long do you think you need?

I got a bit distracted, but version 2 is here!

Some minor changes are here, as well as 2 major ones:

1. The fight in the white room where you get the Rocket Launcher has been changed - the phase where the enemies spawn in has been extended with different enemies and there are different enemies behind the lowering wall. Also - the lowering wall has been set to block monsters - so you don't get overwhelmed.
  2. The red line room has been completely overhauled! The look is slightly different, Cybie is gone (replaced by Cacos), Imps now spawn behind you and there is a visual clue in the arena that tells you the moment when it is safe to go near the cage! 

Here it is: Studio_Scramble_(Ar_e_en)_MAP15_(V2).zip

On 9/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, Emperor S P O O N said:

Did anyone manage to playtest MAP14 or MAP23? If so, what needs improvement? I'm still getting caught in college work, so finding time to playtest the wad has been tricky.

The only "issue" I had with either really was the third secret in Liquid Heat, which had me bamboozed, but not sure what I could suggest to change that. 

@Emperor S P O O N Alright, I did a little playthrough of "Grave Squatter" in Woof (I also triple checked my findings in DSDA and Crispy). I found 2 issues:

1. - The final room has a glitched up floor texture.
2. - There are some Revs and Pinkies that don't spawn in during the blue key fight.

Spoiler

stv_doom00.png.e64a93f84ade24e97805c96241f2d622.png

On a bit of a side note: Because some maps are not submitted yet (and because this is only the first version of the alpha) - the order of the maps in this alpha are all over the place! Like, I went to test out Map 14 ( "These Are Fast" ), because I thought that that was one of the maps that you created! Turns out - that map was by @Shawn (in case Shawn is wondering about the state of his map: I beat the map and I didn't find any faults in it, everything seems to work as intended with that map!). So, I actually had to find the correct map by name instead. 

I haven't tested "Liquid Heat" yet, I will test it at a later date!

I think I figured out why the floor texture was glitched in "Grave Squatter" - The texture was converted into a regular paletted Doom texture, it needs to be converted into a paletted Doom flat for it to look right!

39 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

I think I figured out why the floor texture was glitched in "Grave Squatter" - The texture was converted into a regular paletted Doom texture, it needs to be converted into a paletted Doom flat for it to look right!

I think that's something @Lorcav should fix. The pinky/rev closet I can fix, however. Thanks for playing!

Here's the fix for the broke pinky/rev closet:
GraveSquatter_v2.zip

Since it's been a hot minute since anyone's posted any feedback, I assume we've covered all our bases and it's about as good as it's going to get? Or are we all still busy and it's just taking a while to sort out times to playtest all the maps in the alpha?

Yeah, I think we're just about there

I just need to make the last of the changes and then it'll be final release for which I'll do a new thresad.