Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matt Eldrydge

DSDA-Doom isn't being captured by OBS, help?

Hello, yesterday I tested DSDA-Doom since I'll use it for playing larger maps (as well as a few MBF21 mods) but for some reason OBS wasn't capturing it. I tried window capture instead of game capture, which worked if I kept DSDA-Doom in windowed mode but I'd prefer if it was full screen - it's more space to work with, if anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that?

I'm using DSDA-Doom v0.25.6 and OBS 28.0.1. Not sure if the latter makes much of a difference, but I should list it anyway.

One more thing, sorry if this topic has been submited to the wrong place! This is my first time actually using Doomworld, I knew about it but never really poked my head in here until I found out it was a great place to find new maps!

Yeah, that didn't work but I'll figure something else out. For some reason OBS keeps seeing it as another window open but I at least figured out how to make it not run super choppy. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Yeah, I tried that as well but that's a bit of a performance hog on my rather low-spec machine and historically, it's liable to cause choppy footage since it takes up a lot of memory and processing power. Still, thank you for the tip!

Did you try playing borderless? I always had the same issue recording with pr/dsda doom when playing fullscreen. If I'm not mistaken you have to enable the exclusive fullscreen/window mode and that should do the trick

Hm, not yet...I might have tried something with the exclusive fullscreen option, but I don't remember if it worked at the moment. Will give it a try again this evening, thanks for the heads up!

9 hours ago, Blip said:

Did you try playing borderless? I always had the same issue recording with pr/dsda doom when playing fullscreen. If I'm not mistaken you have to enable the exclusive fullscreen/window mode and that should do the trick

Tried playing it borderless and it worked for the most part! Gave me some lag spikes due to the encoder overloading for some reason, but it ran fine most of the time. It's just a bit weird, GZDoom 4.10 runs a-ok but DSDA-Doom has been giving me some trouble. I'll keep tinkering with it, because I just really like the way it feels.

@Matt Eldrydge I am not sure, but "OBS" app, once in time, gave me really bad output on few videos.

There was something like constant lag spike for 1 second every 2 seconds of video.

And, what is strange, sound wasn't abrupted. It was only about video.

After that, I've done some researching in the world wide web and found strange solution that helped me.

It was loading "OBS" with administrator's rights and also some slight changes in the video recording itself (like changing bitrate and such).

And I have something like ~1 Gb for ~10 minutes of recording that is fine for me, since quality isn't that bad (for my poor and old GTX-970).

I can only add that I have no problems with recording of "DSDA-Doom", but I am using this source-port in windowed mode.

After every launch I had to manually click on "maximize" button to have better picture for my own eyes.

But, beside that, "OBS" recording it just fine though.

@Matt Eldrydge try using "window capture" or "display capture", they both work WAY better than "game capture" because they don't need to be fullscreen. Pretty certain that's the issue.

Wish I could share a screenie to show it off, but OBS disappears when I try to snip the screen... Have a spoiler instead!

Spoiler

Basically:

=====================================================================================

sources:

window/display capture

audio output capture

in that order

=====================================================================================

Hope this helps :)

20 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

After that, I've done some researching in the world wide web and found strange solution that helped me.

It was loading "OBS" with administrator's rights and also some slight changes in the video recording itself (like changing bitrate and such).

And I have something like ~1 Gb for ~10 minutes of recording that is fine for me, since quality isn't that bad (for my poor and old GTX-970).

Hm. I did try administrator mode and found it worked fine, but at some point the encoder was overloaded but I'll try changing the bitrate as you mentioned. I recorded something like 20 minutes of it yesterday for only 888mb (!) at a very stable 160 FPS, with plenty adequate quality, so I know it at least works most of the time!

11 hours ago, DELTA256 said:

@Matt Eldrydge try using "window capture" or "display capture", they both work WAY better than "game capture" because they don't need to be fullscreen. Pretty certain that's the issue.

[snip]

Yep, I used window capture in the end which isn't quite ideal since I suspect this is what causes the encoder to overload, resulting in the occasional lag spike. I'll keep tinkering with the settings until I get it to work or my patience runs out - preferably the former!

Again, thanks to everyone who has given me tips on how to solve this issue!

3 hours ago, Matt Eldrydge said:

Hm. I did try administrator mode and found it worked fine, but at some point the encoder was overloaded but I'll try changing the bitrate as you mentioned. I recorded something like 20 minutes of it yesterday for only 888mb (!) at a very stable 160 FPS, with plenty adequate quality, so I know it at least works most of the time!

Hm... is this any way to use not 160 FPS, but only ~60 FPS?

I mean... I have bad history of using uncapped FPS in "Warframe".

It was so high that game just randomly crashed every time when I was on mission.

As I found out, it was due to high pressure on my graphic card.

When original "Doom" was about 35 FPS and you can interpolate it to the 60 FPS in the GZDoom source-port...

There is no need to put your graphic card in this overload of 160 FPS or even more, I think.

As example... Imagine simple cube. 12 triangle polygons.

There is a big difference when it is rendering only at 60 FPS and when it is rendering at 1000+ FPS.

For your eyes there not gonna be a big difference (since even 60 FPS is more than enough for smooth picture), but your graphic card gonna suffer very bad.

4 hours ago, Matt Eldrydge said:

I'll keep tinkering with the settings until I get it to work or my patience runs out - preferably the former!

I actually used game capture for a good chunk of my videos (predating my odysee) on my computer but I somehow broke it. Don't really know how, but I wasn't able to fix it, I just stuck with window capture instead. I guess you can say I chose the latter rather than the former.

35 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

When original "Doom" was about 35 FPS and you can interpolate it to the 60 FPS in the GZDoom source-port...

There is no need to put your graphic card in this overload of 160 FPS or even more, I think.

I can confidently second this, however, maybe try setting the framerate to "unlimited". Maybe that can get that sweet, smooth, recording that you want. It's pretty great considering my laptop has 4gb of ram and handle the "unlimited" option just fine for the most part. And from what I know about overclocking and overloading (which is not a lot to begin with) is that overclocking/loading can result in your computer having a shorter lifespan than a computer that ISN'T overclocked/loaded if that makes sense.

Anyways, take care :)

Hmmm, good points regarding the unlimited FPS there. I didn't really consider how it can put unnecessary strain on my graphics card and I record at 720p 30 FPS, so I'll at least set it to 60 on both GZ and DSDA-Doom next time I do record.  Thanks for the tips, guys!